Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread - Page 116 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3451 of 3456 Old Yesterday, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Wow, 45 minutes is a long time. My CRT projector took about 20 minutes and that's inferior analog tech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3452 of 3456 Old Yesterday, 05:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
Mark thanks for your advice, it was brilliant!
I really don't know why Sony and the others have default settings for sharpness and RC turned so high!
On a really large screen (scope 145") I was never that happy with all the artefacts I was seeing....

I finally used the S&M disc and set up the sharpness which I turned down to zero. RC resolution and smoothing was also turned down low. I used a bit of added sharpness from my Lumagen and bingo, my Sony now seems to have a look closer to my X900 used to.

Really Lumagen is the magic ingredient, it does wonders to the image.

Now I say turn all the other stuff on the projector to zero or almost off and use the Lumagen to make the magic!
Thank you. I am as you astutely observed am brilliant but my advice should not be accorded this accolade. Sharpness has been adjusted by calibrators and consumers the same way for many years and is taught on the most basic of set up discs. It should be remembered that with digital units, a sharpness sliders 0 may in fact not be off but may be negative. This was not true in analogue days. 10 seems about right on the 1000ES/1100ES but this can be verified and tweaked using a sharpness pattern. when the lines noticeably thicken, go down one click. This is with your nose near the screen. RC is difficult to set because there are no test patterns that will help because pictures are active and changing while patters, say on off pixel grids are basically pure sq waves. RC will really screw these uop and just one click can really generate all sorts of artifacts. You can see this by using the Sony defaults and changing R and Noise Filter a bit. With the upgrade to the 1100ES and the 500/600 it is easier to see what small changes do at the low end. 1100ES users as a group have concluded that the picture is better with RC on but set to minimum for R and a bit more for noise filtering, say 3 or 4. This is not exact.

Sony seems to use RC as a way of compensating for less than pristine lenses on the 500/600 and the 55. This is not to dump on the 500/600 lens. It is not bad but is less good than the lens on the 1100. It needs a little help and using R as I recommended at about 8 seems right and noise filtering a little less. For the 55, no offense the plastic needs a lot of help from much higher R and noise Filter.
None of this is brilliant.

Re the Lumagen, the sharpness functions are provided by the now quite aged but good Gennum chip. Providing increased sharpness by it to me is no less worse than providing it by using the sharpness control too high on the Sony. I think by setting the sharpness to 0 on the Sony you have gone to far and are correcting by using the sharpness on the gennun chip to compensate. Probably not a good thing. try setting the Lumagen sharness setting to 0 vand setting the Sony to about 10 using the grid.

Most of the controls in the advanced Sony menu have rather minimal impact on picture quality. Smooth graduation can help a bit with low settings on banding. I do use gamma at 2.2 on the ciontrol etc.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536

Last edited by mark haflich; Yesterday at 06:28 AM.
post #3453 of 3456 Old Yesterday, 07:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post
That seems like a ridiculous amount of time to wait for the projector's image to look proper.

There is a difference in when the image is viewable and when the image is ready to use panel alignment. For panel alignment, you want the projector fully warmed up, so that movement is minimized. For picture enjoyment, the image will look stable after only a few minutes.
pgwalsh likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #3454 of 3456 Old Yesterday, 07:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonaire View Post
Wow, 45 minutes is a long time. My CRT projector took about 20 minutes and that's inferior analog tech.
I doubt that you can tell any difference after 10 or 15 minutes, but if you are going to make panel adjustments, you want to make sure everything is fully warmed up, so that the adjustments you make are final adjustments. In other words no movement afterwords.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #3455 of 3456 Old Yesterday, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 318
On my Sony 1100ES, the picture is horrible when I first turn it on. The screen is blank for about 45 seconds and then it is really dim for another 30 seconds or so. After that it is really good. This waste of time could be avoided with an LED, laser or laser/phosphor hybrid projector. My dog thinks its ridiculous to wait over a minute for a projector with an MSRP of $28K.
Seegs108, pgwalsh and Debonaire like this.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #3456 of 3456 Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
My dog thinks its ridiculous to wait over a minute for a projector with an MSRP of $28K.
My kind of dog.

Mike, your explanation makes sense and is totally not ridiculous now.

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw500es , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page