Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread - Page 118 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3511 of 3526 Old 08-26-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 230
So far it's a mixed bag. I don't watch any 3D myself, so that isn't an issue for me. The Lumis looks better to me with HDTV, and I prefer motion handling on the Lumis. However, Blu Rays look outstanding on the VW600. I haven't had time to really do a comparison since I was on vacation last week, so more to follow. At least they are both permanently installed now, for easy use of either one.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 3526 Old 08-26-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Stacked VW600 and SIM Lumis Host. Twin projectors and twin screens. I'm losing my mind over here !

Are you a spend thrift or what That stacking system probably cost you about $15 if you already had the mount for the Sim2. why didn't you just buy 2 more cheap shelf brackets, another piece of what and shelf mount them both and just flea bay your sim2 mount. you would have turned a profit. And what's with the cooling flexible ducts hanging on either side of the Sony? Are they hooked up? And why don't you now provide some ventilation for the Sim2? The wood appears to block any aid from those flexible ducts.

BTW. If you get even a small quake, those projectors will be destroyed with that mounting system.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #3513 of 3526 Old 08-26-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
Are you a spend thrift or what That stacking system probably cost you about $15 if you already had the mount for the Sim2. why didn't you just buy 2 more cheap shelf brackets, another piece of what and shelf mount them both and just flea bay your sim2 mount. you would have turned a profit. And what's with the cooling flexible ducts hanging on either side of the Sony? Are they hooked up? And why don't you now provide some ventilation for the Sim2? The wood appears to block any aid from those flexible ducts.

BTW. If you get even a small quake, those projectors will be destroyed with that mounting system.

I was wondering where you were Mark. You're slow this week. Those shelf brackets are heavy steel - they could hold you and your dog. And yes, the ventilation system works - the duct for the Lumis is moved out of the way " for illustration purposes only ".

Who cares about the projectors in an earthquake - I've got 1350 bottles of wine that exceeds the MSRP of both projectors combined x 2.5 !

This is exactly why The Wizard never wanted them to see what was behind the curtain - " haters gonna hate " !

I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
post #3514 of 3526 Old 08-26-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 178

------------------------------------

Look What AVS Made Me Do!
post #3515 of 3526 Old 08-26-2014, 09:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Serious question, I wonder if a steel shelf might have some affect on the electronics inside the projector case?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #3516 of 3526 Old 08-27-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Serious question, I wonder if a steel shelf might have some affect on the electronics inside the projector case?
It looks like the shelf is a piece of 3/4" plywood with a piece of 3/4" MDF on top of it. It also looks like the shelf is screwed to the shelf brackets, so the shelf is fairly well fixed in place. I use a similar shelf system for demo projectors.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #3517 of 3526 Old 08-27-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I reread Craig's post and I stand corrected. Craig said the brackets were heavy steel. I have no problem with using a cheap shelf mounting system. I just wonder with using that system in a frequent earth quake zone and wonder why using a ceiling mount for one of the two projectors. Why not shelf mount both? The ceiling mount in this case doesn't add anything. It may be necessary for the Sim2 though because its lens shift system only works in one direction.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com

Last edited by mark haflich; Today at 01:56 PM.
post #3518 of 3526 Old 08-27-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I reread craig's post ad I stand corrected. craig said the brackets were heavy steel. I have no problem with using a cheap shelf mounting system. I just wonder with using that system but not in a frequent earth quake zone and wonder why using a ceiling mount for one of the two projectors. Why not shelf mount both? The ceiling mount in this case doesn't add anything. It may be necessary for the Sim2 though because its lens shift system only works in one direction.
You are correct about the SIM - due to my screen / projector geometry, it works only in a traditional ceiling mounted position. My previous DPI dVision 1080p worked shelf mounted. Plus, adding a shelf, even if it worked, would lessen the ventilation / air flow in the closet. One reason I used the heavy duty twin steel shelf bracket system is future flexibility. I plan to live here until I kick the bucket. So, I need to be able to raise, lower, maybe mount 2 ( or even 3 ? ) projectors at a time, shelf mount, " ceiling mount " - if I still had an NEC HT1000, it would have to be mounted upside down hanging above where the VW600 is now to work due to it's offset.

I'm not in an earthquake zone - I'm in the Sierra Nevada foothills. Didn't feel a thing from that last Napa quake. In fact, I would trust that shelf to hold at least 10 cases ( that's about 480 pounds ) of Petrus or Romanee Conti, and a box of Cuban cigars !! Or 35 year old single malt if you prefer. This heavy duty Rubermaid steel shelving is super strong - I have hundreds of pounds of climbing, camping and Burning Man ( skipping this year ) gear hanging on it in my garage ! The shelf is 3/4" finish plywood.

post #3519 of 3526 Old 08-27-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
You are correct about the SIM - due to my screen / projector geometry, it works only in a traditional ceiling mounted position. My previous DPI dVision 1080p worked shelf mounted. Plus, adding a shelf, even if it worked, would lessen the ventilation / air flow in the closet. One reason I used the heavy duty twin steel shelf bracket system is future flexibility. I plan to live here until I kick the bucket. So, I need to be able to raise, lower, maybe mount 2 ( or even 3 ? ) projectors at a time, shelf mount, " ceiling mount " - if I still had an NEC HT1000, it would have to be mounted upside down hanging above where the VW600 is now to work due to it's offset.

I'm not in an earthquake zone - I'm in the Sierra Nevada foothills. Didn't feel a thing from that last Napa quake. In fact, I would trust that shelf to hold at least 10 cases ( that's about 480 pounds ) of Petrus or Romanee Conti, and a box of Cuban cigars !! Or 35 year old single malt if you prefer. This heavy duty Rubermaid steel shelving is super strong - I have hundreds of pounds of climbing, camping and Burning Man ( skipping this year ) gear hanging on it in my garage ! The shelf is 3/4" finish plywood.
I use the same brackets in my shelf system. One of the few out there with 20" deep shelf brackets. Have had as many as three projectors mounted on it.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #3520 of 3526 Old Today, 06:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Bonjour,

Quote:
... 10 cases of ... Romanee Conti ...
I'd like to see that!

Hugo
post #3521 of 3526 Old Today, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo S View Post
Bonjour,

I'd like to see that!

Hugo

See that? I'd like someone to bring some over so I could drink that ! 5 decanters, no waiting !!

I messed around with my VW600 Sunday, trying to get it dialing in and experimenting with some settings. Got it to the point that it looks really good with HDTV ( watched a few episodes of " Extant " off the Dish Hopper, and a few minutes of " American Ninja Warrior " among other things ). Low lamp on my 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve - 815.42 lumens / 20.44 foot lamberts ! Watched Skyfall on Blu Ray last night with some friends - absolutely stunning picture on the 128" diagonal 2.35:1 StudioTek 130 ! Still getting around 18 foot lamberts on that screen without an anamorphic lens ! The night scenes in Shanghai and Macau were stunning ( as was the final act ). This projector rocks ! I like it better in my theater than I did at Cedia!

post #3522 of 3526 Old Today, 11:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Hi Craig,

Quote:
See that? I'd like someone to bring some over so I could drink that ! 5 decanters, no waiting !!
Ah "le Nectar de la Romanée Conti"...

Hugo
post #3523 of 3526 Old Today, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
I messed around with my VW600 Sunday, trying to get it dialing in and experimenting with some settings. Got it to the point that it looks really good with HDTV.
I agree. Comcast 720p & 1080i both upscale beautifully on the 600. Best broadcast/cable TV picture I've ever seen.
post #3524 of 3526 Old Today, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The scaling rings on the 500/600 and on the 1000/1100. Tthe ringing bothers me and some others but can be completely eliminated with the current 4k 60 out Lumagens.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com

Last edited by mark haflich; Today at 06:32 PM.
post #3525 of 3526 Old Today, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
The scaling rings on the 500/600 and on the 1000/1100. the ringing bothers me and some others but can be completely eliminated with the current $k 60 out Lumagens.

How do you setup the Sony and the Lumagen to do this Mark?

I have both but want to make sure I have it set correctly...
post #3526 of 3526 Old Today, 06:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you feed the Sony UHD (3840 x 2160) at 60 from the Lumagen with 720p 60 or 1080i 60 video sources you will bypass the sony deinterlacing and/or scaling. I don't presently have the Lumagen 4K processor, I am not sure whether the best results re ringing elimination or feeding the Sony UHD vs 4K. The image is sharper feeding UHD.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw500es , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page