Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread - Page 120 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3571 of 3595 Old 09-10-2014, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
About 4 weeks ago I had to have my 600ES replaced due to the optics. My projector was past the 90 days but with a lot of argument with sony and the fact that replacement parts where not going to be available for three to five weeks they replaced it with a new one. Received the new projector last Tuesday and tonight while watching a movie the video started to flash on and off. Thinking maybe it was the popcorn hour I switched it to dish and after watching dish for awhile it started again. Has anyone else had this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3572 of 3595 Old 09-10-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Thanks Dave. you spent a long time patting here during your visit. It seems so long ago.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #3573 of 3595 Old 09-10-2014, 10:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaha View Post
About 4 weeks ago I had to have my 600ES replaced due to the optics. My projector was past the 90 days but with a lot of argument with sony and the fact that replacement parts where not going to be available for three to five weeks they replaced it with a new one. Received the new projector last Tuesday and tonight while watching a movie the video started to flash on and off. Thinking maybe it was the popcorn hour I switched it to dish and after watching dish for awhile it started again. Has anyone else had this problem?
Pretty sure its an HDMI issue. This happens often when inserting something new in the chain. Try plugging a Bluray player via a 2 meter HDMI cable into the projector and see if the problem goes away. if it does, trouble shoot your HDMI chain and change out the cable that is causing the problem.

something changed in your system. Try setting the output resolution on your set top box to a lower resolution.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3574 of 3595 Old 09-14-2014, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Sony just released a cheaper version of their VPL VW600ES.. the 300ES...

Sony told us that the VPL-VW300 uses the same chassis, lens configuration and optical pathway as the VPL-VW500ES, complete with 4K SXRD panel, TRILUMINOS technology, HDMI 2.0 (YCbCr 4:2:0 8-bit, i.e. Level b) and HDCP 2.2 support (only HDMI input 2),

It's basically $7000, or half the price of the 600ES but with less 'blink' and 'features'. However it will still have the same lenses, etc.

So much for people who were so sure 4K projectors can't possibly be cheap because of some hocus pocus notion that lenses are too expensive. I predicted that 4K projector will drop below 6K in 2 years and looks like even before a year is out, we're already almost there (street price).

post #3575 of 3595 Old 09-14-2014, 03:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

Sony told us that the VPL-VW300 uses the same chassis, lens configuration and optical pathway as the VPL-VW500ES, complete with 4K SXRD panel, TRILUMINOS technology, HDMI 2.0 (YCbCr 4:2:0 8-bit, i.e. Level b) and HDCP 2.2 support (only HDMI input 2),

It's basically $7000, or half the price of the 600ES but with less 'blink' and 'features'. However it will still have the same lenses, etc.

So much for people who were so sure 4K projectors can't possibly be cheap because of some hocus pocus notion that lenses are too expensive. I predicted that 4K projector will drop below 6K in 2 years and looks like even before a year is out, we're already almost there (street price).
I agree. I think this is a great buy and the 300ES is a good omen. I see decent 4K and UHD projectors at a street price of $4k to $5k by the end of next year. All this talk about the necessary lenses being too expensive sounds specious. I suspect the optics and light engine from a good 1080p projector with a 4K panel and appropriate chipset would work just fine.

I have a living room set-up with a 1.78 Black Diamond screen, so this works perfectly for me. There are many other people in similar situations. People with bat caves and scope screens are a minority of projector buyers. Not having a DI and lens memory just isn't a big deal for a lot of people.

BTW, does anyone know the lag on the 300ES in game mode?
coolgeek likes this.
post #3576 of 3595 Old 09-14-2014, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaychatbonneau View Post
I agree. I think this is a great buy and the 300ES is a good omen. I see decent 4K and UHD projectors at a street price of $4k to $5k by the end of next year. All this talk about the necessary lenses being too expensive sounds specious. I suspect the optics and light engine from a good 1080p projector with a 4K panel and appropriate chipset would work just fine.

I have a living room set-up with a 1.78 Black Diamond screen, so this works perfectly for me. There are many other people in similar situations. People with bat caves and scope screens are a minority of projector buyers. Not having a DI and lens memory just isn't a big deal for a lot of people.

BTW, does anyone know the lag on the 300ES in game mode?
All I know is that it comes with a game mode but can't seem to find the latency.

post #3577 of 3595 Old 09-14-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

This isn't new news, however - no pricing has been set that I know of. Won't be available until after the 1st of the year. And it's a stripped down VW600 without the dynamic iris, lens memory etc.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #3578 of 3595 Old 09-14-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
This isn't new news, however - no pricing has been set that I know of. Won't be available until after the 1st of the year. And it's a stripped down VW600 without the dynamic iris, lens memory etc.
Can I put My Order in NOW Craig?
post #3579 of 3595 Old 09-14-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
Can I put My Order in NOW Craig?

Call me Monday. We can always start a pre - order list. No obligation. Because there will be a line to get these.

post #3580 of 3595 Old 09-14-2014, 09:51 AM

I read the LMP- H 260 lamp used for the 500 and 600 was discontinued in UK. Is it a mistake or Sony intends to replace the lamp fo both the units?
post #3581 of 3595 Old 09-14-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltiesantos View Post
I read the LMP- H 260 lamp used for the 500 and 600 was discontinued in UK. Is it a mistake or Sony intends to replace the lamp fo both the units?

Can't imagine that there won't be replacement lamps available - they are available here in the US.

post #3582 of 3595 Old 09-14-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Call me Monday. We can always start a pre - order list. No obligation. Because there will be a line to get these.
I will call you on Monday and get on the LIST.

AVS sold me my last projector.
post #3583 of 3595 Old 09-16-2014, 05:36 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Maybe it is in the thread somewhere. My clients son (idiot) fiddled with lens memory (6ooES) and stored 16:9 for my already saved 2:35. I erased it and reset now it does a dance kind of like it has to stop at every destination it has ever visited before getting to it's final destination. How can I erase the lens memory memories.

Having it go up down left right is driving me nuts.

One piece of bad news on the 300 in my CEDIA "dealers" presentation the question was asked and words used to indicate they were rethinking the launch and some were questioning the wisdom of bringing to market a product that would undercut the 600 sales.

PROJECTS:

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 09-16-2014 at 05:51 AM.
post #3584 of 3595 Old 09-16-2014, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Anybody have a screen that they recommend to go with the 500es? I am currently using a 110" motorized Draper but find that with the high output of this projector I can see the texture of the screen. I am looking for about a 137" diagonal screen. My room is largely light controlled so I don't need anything other than a neutral screen. 0.9-1.1.

I was thinking about a Da-Lite 0.9. I wouldn't even know what material to consider from Stewart. Any other recommendations?

John
post #3585 of 3595 Old 09-16-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
Anybody have a screen that they recommend to go with the 500es? I am currently using a 110" motorized Draper but find that with the high output of this projector I can see the texture of the screen. I am looking for about a 137" diagonal screen. My room is largely light controlled so I don't need anything other than a neutral screen. 0.9-1.1.

I was thinking about a Da-Lite 0.9. I wouldn't even know what material to consider from Stewart. Any other recommendations?

John

I'm using a Stewart Cima Neve and a StudioTek 130 G3 screen.

post #3586 of 3595 Old 09-16-2014, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Im using a Stewart Luxus Deluxe 2.35 with Studiotek 130 G3 with my 500ES.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk
post #3587 of 3595 Old 09-16-2014, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
anyone know what the input lag is? i know its terrible for fps and online but is it as bad for casual gaming like mario party or offline single play games like dead rising etc. also what about pc gaming but at native 4k
post #3588 of 3595 Old 09-16-2014, 09:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post

John
If not concerned with 3D, then I would consider the Stewart Neve. If wanting 3D, then the ST130 or something even brighter.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #3589 of 3595 Old 09-16-2014, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioratrodder View Post
anyone know what the input lag is? i know its terrible for fps and online but is it as bad for casual gaming like mario party or offline single play games like dead rising etc. also what about pc gaming but at native 4k
The lag is around 120ms when fed 1080p if I remember correctly, but the game mode of the 300ES will be ported to the 500/600ES via f/w upgrade soon, which should make it better. Not sure what the lag is when fed 4K/UHD.

By the way the f/w update should also bring to the 500/600 compatibility with the Image Editor PC software (to edit gamma curves).
antorsae likes this.
post #3590 of 3595 Old 09-17-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The draperJKP Affinity .9 is a really smooth screen. Why are you guys preferring the Neve over the Snomatt 100? Both require non reflective rooms and the 100 is the mastering studio standard. Is the Neve so close in performance, the extra cost can't be justified performance wise?

Mark Haflich

post #3591 of 3595 Old 09-17-2014, 06:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
The draperJKP Affinity .9 is a really smooth screen. Why are you guys preferring the Neve over the Snomatt 100? Both require non reflective rooms and the 100 is the mastering studio standard. Is the Neve so close in performance, the extra cost can't be justified performance wise?
Customer is asking about a 137" diagonal screen, so a little bit of gain would be good, that is why I suggested the Neve or ST130. If he was looking at a little smaller screen, I would definitely have suggested the ST100.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #3592 of 3595 Old 09-17-2014, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioratrodder View Post
Input lag via 1080p or 720p for any FPS is a no go (120 msecs). Feeding 4096x2160p @ 60 Hz with a modern (Kepler) Nvidia card is possible and takes away any noticeable input lag (I play with this setting and I have not been compelled to measure input lag ever since). The issue of course is that you cannot play console games or PC games that dont support 4096x2160p.

Sony really has to fix this. I am glad to learn a firmware fix is coming, but it cannot come soon enough!

OOO CRT Blend powered OOO
post #3593 of 3595 Old 09-18-2014, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
HDMI 2 port that I'm using with the FMP X10 suddenly stopped working. As if it got blown.
Connecting a computer to HDMI 1 works fine, not anymore on port 2
Does anyone have an idea, like a factory reset of something?

Last edited by ggpublic; 09-18-2014 at 07:33 AM.
post #3594 of 3595 Old 09-18-2014, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Mark:

That is the exact screen that I was considering as I had read that it was really smooth but isn't it from Da-lite? I do watch some 3D but my room is light controlled and was thinking that the 0.9 gain would be enough with the brightness of this projector. If I am wrong, I would rather be told now before I drop a couple grand on a new screen. My local dealer can get Draper and Da-Lite but I'm not sure I can get a Stewart filmscreen from him...one of the downsides of living in a small market here in the Great White North.

John
post #3595 of 3595 Old 09-18-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes. It's by Da-lite. The name was changed a while back from JKP Affinity to something else. I will added to this post later. that said AV Science can provide you with all these brands.

Mark Haflich

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw500es , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player
Gear in this thread