Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread - Page 121 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3601 of 3604 Old 09-21-2014, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anyone have an Oppo 103/105D and a Sony VW500-600es? If so, is it better to use the Oppo or the Sony to upscale the source to 4K?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 3604 Old 09-21-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post
Many also misinterpret and think the RC of the Sony 4K models to be only a sharpening tool, it is a separete part of the Sony 4K upscaling and makes the 4K upscaling look better. But this har a weakness and it is ringing/edge enhancement and one must keep the setting to a minimum to make the problem less visible. I have not tested Mad VR or the 4K Lumagen , but I dont think it is a major upgrade compared to the Sony internal scaler.
Granted I haven't used the Sony's scaler, but you can't just make statements like that when you've never even tried MadVR or a Lumagen. How do you know you might actually prefer another scaler? My post is going off of a couple different members' experiences with trying them and seeing which they preferred. The issue with internal scaling is the limited processing capabilities they have being integrated, fixed, and thermally bound to underperform something like a modern graphics card. MadVR is better because it's performance is scalable (like the video ) depending on how much IPC performance you're able to throw at it. There is a point of diminished returns obviously but we have a VERY powerful set of scaling options at our disposal if we so choose. From those who have compared all three, they've found they liked MadVR and the Lumagen's scaling better. Even using MadVR on an e-shift X500 made for a large noticeable jump in PQ. I can't imagine Sony's scaler to be much more powerful (due to thermal restrictions) and would assume the PQ difference in scaling to be similar though the true 4K resolution of the Sony may make for a hard comparison.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Seegs108; 09-21-2014 at 08:23 AM.
post #3603 of 3604 Old 09-21-2014, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Granted I haven't used the Sony's scaler, but you can't just make statements like that when you've never even tried MadVR or a Lumagen. How do you know you might actually prefer another scaler? My post is going off of a couple different members' experiences with trying them and seeing which they preferred. The issue with internal scaling is the limited processing capabilities they have being integrated, fixed, and thermally bound to underperform something like a modern graphics card. MadVR is better because it's performance is scalable (like the video ) depending on how much IPC performance you're able to throw at it. There is a point of diminished returns obviously but we have a VERY powerful set of scaling options at our disposal if we so choose. From those who have compared all three, they've found they liked MadVR and the Lumagen's scaling better. Even using MadVR on an e-shift X500 made for a large noticeable jump in PQ. I can't imagine Sony's scaler to be much more powerful (due to thermal restrictions) and would assume the PQ difference in scaling to be similar though the true 4K resolution of the Sony may make for a hard comparison.
I said that I don´t think it will be a major upgrade, not that it is not better. I have also read what Mark, zombie and you write about the Lumagen and MadVr and I am sure it is better, but not a major upgrade worth spendig thousands of dollars on if you think the Sony upscaling does a good job. With the RC in the 500 and the 1100 (mine just got upgraded) I see slight ringing up close, but it is not visible from seating distance so I see no point in buying the 1080p in 4K out Lumagen or introduce a PC in my HT to get a very small difference in the upscaling. I will most likely buy the 4K in 4K out Lumagen when it arrives for sale, I am fine with the Lumagen XS for now.

Regards
Andreas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3604 of 3604 Old 09-21-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post
I said that I don´t think it will be a major upgrade, not that it is not better. I have also read what Mark, zombie and you write about the Lumagen and MadVr and I am sure it is better, but not a major upgrade worth spendig thousands of dollars on if you think the Sony upscaling does a good job. With the RC in the 500 and the 1100 (mine just got upgraded) I see slight ringing up close, but it is not visible from seating distance so I see no point in buying the 1080p in 4K out Lumagen or introduce a PC in my HT to get a very small difference in the upscaling. I will most likely buy the 4K in 4K out Lumagen when it arrives for sale, I am fine with the Lumagen XS for now.
I've studied all the 3 up close, most viewers are going to be fine with the Sony scaling, it looks very good on the 1000 after the 1100 update and similar to the 500/600. MadVR certainly has advantages but it's not a day/night difference the average viewer will pick up on. I was not thrilled with the scaling on the Lumagen 2041, it feels a bit softer than I would prefer sitting 1.25 from my 142". I have to go back and look at it closer.
Manni01 likes this.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw500es , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page