AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post
Hi guys.

Been trying to find TDG-BT500A 3D glasses but they seem to be sold out everywhere in Canada, and Sony doesn't expect stock until the new year. Anyone know where to get them or if there is an alternative to the TDG-BT500A that I can buy?

Samsung SSG-5100GB

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4172 of 4186 Unread Yesterday, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Samsung SSG-5100GB
Those are also not available in Canada

How about the Samsung 5150? Those are available for 30.00
post #4173 of 4186 Unread Yesterday, 08:55 PM
Pip

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
I don't think it is a matter of Da-Lite dropping it. The material started having a lot of quality control problems. Da-Lite kept trying to get these sorted out. Da-Lite thought it would only take a month, that time period kept getting longer and longer. I still own a 2.8 in my family room.
Thanks Mike.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I'm fairly sure that almost all the quality issues were with the 2.4 material. The 2.8 - manufactured for over a decade - seemed to have hardly any manufacturing problems. If they were able to manufacture it for that length of time, at a very low cost, with precious few problems, it would seem obvious for them to bring this material back. It seemed to be preferred to the newer 2.4 anyway.

Unless they used some substance since found to be toxic, and now illegal, it's difficult to figure out Dalite's reasoning on this one.

Pip
post #4174 of 4186 Unread Yesterday, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 327
I went through three 2.4 High Contrast High Power screens before getting one that wasn't defective. The issue was a terribly uneven spread of the optical coating (glass beads) and it gave the image a terrible uneven gritty look. Even though I had these issues, Da-Lite has some of the best customer service out there. They swapped out the screen without any questions being asked other than the issue I had with it and paid for shipping to and from my house. They even let me keep the screen at my house until the new one arrived. Usually most places make you ship the defective thing back first. Then they ship the new one. Da-lite was trustworthy and had an amazingly fast turnaround. After the second screen, they told me the floor supervisor where they cut and manufacture the actual screen, would personally supervise every step in the process to make sure this one arrived without any issues. And it did. It was one of the best customer service experiences I've ever had. They actually care about the product you order and want to make sure you're 100% happy with the product they sell you. This is something that seems rare in the CE industry today. I had a similar experience with Vivitek and one of their LED projectors. They were excellent too and sent me a loaner unit while the broken one was being fixed. I wouldn't hesitate for a second about buying a product from either company. The warranty you get with their products actually means something.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey!

For Sale: Marantz VP-15S1 1080p High End DLP Projector - $1295

Last edited by Seegs108; Yesterday at 09:30 PM.
post #4175 of 4186 Unread Yesterday, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
I went through three 2.4 High Contrast High Power screens before getting one that wasn't defective. The issue was a terribly uneven spread of the optical coating (glass beads) and it gave the image a terrible uneven gritty look. Even though I had these issues, Da-Lite has some of the best customer service out there. They swapped out the screen without any questions being asked other than the issue I had with it and paid for shipping to and from my house. They even let me keep the screen at my house until the new one arrived. Usually most places make you ship the defective thing back first. Then they ship the new one. Da-lite was trustworthy and had an amazingly fast turnaround. After the second screen, they told me the floor supervisor where they cut and manufacture the actual screen, would personally supervise every step in the process to make sure this one arrived without any issues. And it did. It was one of the best customer service experiences I've ever had. They actually care about the product you order and want to make sure you're 100% happy with the product they sell you. This is something that seems rare in the CE industry today. I had a similar experience with Vivitek and one of their LED projectors. They were excellent too and sent me a loaner unit while the broken one was being fixed. I wouldn't hesitate for a second about buying a product from either company. The warranty you get with their products actually means something.
I looked into getting a Da-Lite HP but ended up getting an equivalent one through a local company here in Tokyo. When I bought it I compared it to the sample 2.4HP I received from Da-Lite and they were exactly the same. So I assume it's made in china, only difference was in price $300 bucks for a 100".. just the fabric though not the frame. In my setup the 500ES burns retina's and the VW1100ES is essentially unviewable at high lamp.. may as well be god himself shining through a black box with a Sony logo on it.
post #4176 of 4186 Unread Today, 02:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
Thanks Mike.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I'm fairly sure that almost all the quality issues were with the 2.4 material. The 2.8 - manufactured for over a decade - seemed to have hardly any manufacturing problems. If they were able to manufacture it for that length of time, at a very low cost, with precious few problems, it would seem obvious for them to bring this material back. It seemed to be preferred to the newer 2.4 anyway.

Unless they used some substance since found to be toxic, and now illegal, it's difficult to figure out Dalite's reasoning on this one.

Pip

They probably procured the material elsewhere and can no longer procure it. Also there is some screen company in Maine or Canada, I don't remember, that sells a screen made from the 2.4 material. They may have purchased the material in bulk from Da-lite or who knows where. Da-lite had a lot of complaints about the material from installers and customers who just didn't know how to install it to get the gain.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #4177 of 4186 Unread Today, 02:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
Thanks Mike.

Pip

They probably procured the material elsewhere and can no longer procure it. Also there is some screen company in Maine or Canada, I don't remember, that sells a screen made from the 2.4 material. They may have purchased the material in bulk from Da-lite or who knows where. Da-lite had a lot of complaints about the material from installers and customers who just didn't know how to install it to get the gain.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #4178 of 4186 Unread Today, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Back to the thread subject of the VW600 - I'm not sure what the firmware update did exactly, but I must say that " Lone Survivor " looked absolutely excellent last night. Third time I've watched this Blu Ray with friends on the VW600. It appears to me that motion looks a bit cleaner now, or else I'm just getting used to the look of this projector after 12+ years of watching DLP's. If you have a VW600, you should do the update. Just remember to unplug everything from the projector first ( HDMI etc - everything but the power cord ).

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #4179 of 4186 Unread Today, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Back to the thread subject of the VW600 - I'm not sure what the firmware update did exactly, but I must say that " Lone Survivor " looked absolutely excellent last night. Third time I've watched this Blu Ray with friends on the VW600. It appears to me that motion looks a bit cleaner now, or else I'm just getting used to the look of this projector after 12+ years of watching DLP's. If you have a VW600, you should do the update. Just remember to unplug everything from the projector first ( HDMI etc - everything but the power cord ).
Very good movie and phenomenal looking disc! Stunning detail.
Craig Peer likes this.

post #4180 of 4186 Unread Today, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 987
Lone Survivor - chapter 10 for a nice test of your sound system.
Craig Peer likes this.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #4181 of 4186 Unread Today, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
Lone Survivor - chapter 10 for a nice test of your sound system.
My two SVS subs and 11 channels of Martin Logan Motion speakers with DTS NEO:X did the job quite well. We needed to step outside afterwards for a Cuban cigar and a glass of wine to try and unwind from that movie!!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
post #4182 of 4186 Unread Today, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
My two SVS subs and 11 channels of Martin Logan Motion speakers with DTS NEO:X did the job quite well. We needed to step outside afterwards for a Cuban cigar and a glass of wine to try and unwind from that movie!!
All JTR here with 8000 watts RMS sub power.

Sounds like our lifestyles might be similar. Do you know who Marvin Shanken is? Here's Marv and me last week in Naples at the Shark Shootout....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Buzz and Marvin.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	431489  

Buzz

post #4183 of 4186 Unread Today, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
All JTR here with 8000 watts RMS sub power.

Sounds like our lifestyles might be similar. Do you know who Marvin Shanken is? Here's Marv and me last week in Naples at the Shark Shootout....

Nice ! I was just on Wine Spectator looking up some wine ratings !

post #4184 of 4186 Unread Today, 06:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Besides the wine rag he is also the publisher of Cigar Aficionado. What cigars were you guys smoking? We should see Cubanos arriving on our shores (not that they don't come now) but going through customs with their bands on. Mr. Shanken obviously knows a thing or two about fine dining but has no clue about dieting. He should smoke a few more cigars a day and eliminate a few glasses of wine. . Damn it. My cigar just went out because I can't puff and post at the same time. Tonight I am making a chestnut soup for a party on Sunday. Made with a ruby port and garnished with a grappa flavored whipped cream..
Craig Peer likes this.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com

Last edited by mark haflich; Today at 10:14 PM.
post #4185 of 4186 Unread Today, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

The USA consumes more Cuban cigars than any other country. I'm a member of a small, 117 member, private forum specializing in Habanos. We broke away from the Cigar Aficionado Forum 1Feb2005. Most are non US citizens. As a group we probably know as much about Cuban cigars as any other entity on the planet.

Buzz

post #4186 of 4186 Unread Today, 10:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Did you get the consumption data from US Customs?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw500es , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page