Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread - Page 142 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4231 of 4245 Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jare View Post
Hi guys,

I got Vw500 today!!!!!!! I am planning on installing it tonight and I have one question. I already have ceiling mount from my current projector. It is the one with the extension arm (so the projector is some 50cm from the ceiling). The mount is centrally positioned.
Since Sony has electronic lens, would it possible to mount it without this extension arm, since Sony is huge projector and it would be low positioned (so that basically is some 5-10cm from the ceiling)? My screen has 50cm drop, so would this affect the picture in any way, or would it be fine? I hope you understand what I mean.
Thank you for the help

If you are asking if you can use the vertical lens shift, yes - refer to the owners manual ( download it from Sony ) for the amount of lens shift you can use ( since I'm a inch kind of guy - not cm's ) !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4232 of 4245 Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks Craig. I understand that I can use vertical shift. My question was would this degrade the picture in any way, because for my previous projector was recommended that it should sit in line with the top of the screen, and in this case, Sony would be some 20 inches above?
post #4233 of 4245 Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quote:
Thanks Craig. I understand that I can use vertical shift. My question was would this degrade the picture in any way, because for my previous projector was recommended that it should sit in line with the top of the screen, and in this case, Sony would be some 20 inches above?
I wouldn't use more lens shift than absolutely necessary - I would try to get the lens close to the top of the screen. That's where I have mine. Whether having it further above the screen will " degrade " the picture - hard to say - try it. You can always lower the projector, can't you?

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
post #4234 of 4245 Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I wouldn't use more lens shift than absolutely necessary - I would try to get the lens close to the top of the screen. That's where I have mine. Whether having it further above the screen will " degrade " the picture - hard to say - try it. You can always lower the projector, can't you?

No. Its not hard to say. It will soften the picture toward the areas undergoing the largest reposition from lens center and CA will worsen. 20 inches is huge. Of course if one sits far enough away and for one who is very uncritical re PQ, they may conclude it looks the same and is great.

But a better answer to will it degrade PQ, the answer is YES if you mount the projector with lens center above screen top. However, ou ma not become aware of the degradation depending on a variety of factors.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #4235 of 4245 Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
No. Its not hard to say. It will soften the picture toward the areas undergoing the largest reposition from lens center and CA will worsen. 20 inches is huge. Of course if one sits far enough away and for one who is very uncritical re PQ, they may conclude it looks the same and is great.

But a better answer to will it degrade PQ, the answer is YES if you mount the projector with lens center above screen top. However, ou ma not become aware of the degradation depending on a variety of factors.

I didn't see distance to screen, screen size etc. - so there are a lot of variables. I wouldn't mount it that high.

post #4236 of 4245 Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM

Ok, understood, so its a no no.
Screen is 110inch and distance is 3.3m or 10,28 feet or 130 inches (I am in Europe, w measure everything in m and cm).
post #4237 of 4245 Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM

Could you tell me which HDMI (1 or 2) should I use for Bluray?
post #4238 of 4245 Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Could you tell me which HDMI (1 or 2) should I use for Bluray?

I am using HDMI # 2 myself.

post #4239 of 4245 Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hero4 4K issues with VW 600ES

I just returned from a Safari and stay at Giraffe Manor in Kenya. I got some amazing 4K video which I can play direct to the 600ES via HDMI but of course it does not have sound. So I have hooked it up with a powered HDMI splitter and it sends the 4K video to the 600ES but when I run the second HDMI to the AUX input on my Integra AV system, I still get no sound. However, when I run direct from the Hero4 to the AUX input on the Integra, I get what looks like an upscaled image but not 4K and still no sound. Yet if I hook the Hero4 up to a 1080P TV via HDMI I get 1080P with sound using the same HDMI cables that I used on the hookups to the 600ES. Now when I run 3D source through the AUX input on the Integra, I get good 3D and sound with no issues. I must say though that if I run 3D source through the splitter, and then through the Integra, I get good 3D image but the sound keeps cutting out, which acts like a HDMI handshake issue, which you can audibly hear the click as the sound goes in and out. Hence, why I have been running 3D source, my own videos, from the Fuji W3 to the Integra via the AUX input and that works fine. The weird thing is that running the Hero4 through the splitter gives me a great 4K picture but I can't seem figure a way to get sound with it.

Has any body run in to issues with sound output from a 4K source with any AV system matched with either the 600ES or the 1000ES? I have tried just about everything I can think of.
post #4240 of 4245 Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 611
I can't help but I did visit Giraffe manor for a few hours on my first photo shoot to Kenya and Tanzania. I have spent about two weeks total at Little Governor's Camp in the Mara my favorite shooting location/base in Kenya. All my shooting was in slide
film days although my wife shot DV with a Canon X1. I have spent far more time in Tanzania shooting in Terengeri, Nagorogora, and the Serengeti. Forgive misspellings.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536

Last edited by mark haflich; Today at 11:17 AM.
post #4241 of 4245 Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 331
What make and model is the splitter?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey!

For Sale: Marantz VP-15S1 1080p High End DLP Projector - $1295
post #4242 of 4245 Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
What make and model is the splitter?
Okay, so there really is a Santa Claus. I opened gifts tonight and found a J Tech Digital HDMI audio extractor under my tree. So what works is taking the Monoprice HDMI splitter and take the 2nd HDMI output off the Monoprice HDMI splitter and connect it to the J Tech Digital HDMI audio extractor. Then use RCA cables to connect the J Tech audio out to the Integra Aux audio input. Not real elegant but it works. I am getting 4K from the Hero4 and splitting off the sound to the Integra. I had my doubts before the trip, but the 4K produced by the Hero4 are truly amazing, the detail is unbelievable, I recommend that everyone put Africa on their bucket list.

And for Mark, yeah Giraffe Manor has been on our bucket list for years. We stayed there 2 and a 1/2 days and I got unbelievable, 4K, 3D and 1080P HD videos and stills. We also stayed at Emmakoko Lodge and did two vehicle safaris. I got 4K, 3D, and 1080P video and stills, of Lions, Rhinos, Giraffes, Hippos, Crocs, Gazzelles, Zebras, Water Buffalos, Elans, Wart Hogs, Ostriches, Guinea Hens, Baboons, Sykes Monkeys, dozens of bird species, and a bunch of others that I am forgetting at the moment. We got both adult and babies of all of the above. I need to go back and look at all the footage again, looks like tomorrow is going to be a fun day, with sound.

And for everyone else. Google Giraffe Manor and go down the results page to the images, click on the images and they tell you all you need to know. Giraffe Manor is a life experience like no other
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	440466   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	407.4 KB
ID:	440474  
post #4243 of 4245 Old Today, 02:12 PM

Could someone share their settings, especially for the iris (full, limited, how much brightness etc)? Which ones are best at default (Cinema, Reference...)?

Will post some pictures later......
post #4244 of 4245 Old Today, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamajor View Post
Has anybody compared VW600ES vs VW1000ES live? Choosing between the new 600 and the used 1000 - is there a visible difference due to better contrast/brightness levels? Plan to use with 92'' screen watching at 4 meters. The problem is that it won't be always fully darken room - plan to use it also as a screen for watching HDTV in daytime - will the difference in brightness play significant role here?
Thanks!
I did not compare both models "live" but I went through 3 (three!) 500ES units and was very disappointed with their colour uniformity - a potential issue also identified by Cine4Home in their review - and the thermal convergence drift after startup. So I switched to an 1100ES which does not have those problems. The latter has a slightly sharper, brighter and more contrasty image, but the difference is not striking.

For best picture quality, I'd recommend you get the 1000ES, but do ensure it's a unit in excellent condition - I personally don't like buying used equipment - and that the projector has been updated to 1100ES (new signal input board), or else you will not have HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2.

Merry Christmas!
post #4245 of 4245 Old Today, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Hi guys,

I got Vw500 today!!!!!!! I am planning on installing it tonight and I have one question. I already have ceiling mount from my current projector. It is the one with the extension arm (so the projector is some 50cm from the ceiling). The mount is centrally positioned.
Since Sony has electronic lens, would it possible to mount it without this extension arm, since Sony is huge projector and it would be low positioned (so that basically is some 5-10cm from the ceiling)? My screen has 50cm drop, so would this affect the picture in any way, or would it be fine? I hope you understand what I mean.
Thank you for the help
Your HT configuration is not clear. In principle, there may be some additional distortions present with larger amounts of lens shift. However, from my experience, these distortions are minimal.

The centre of my projector's lens is 28 cm below the ceiling and the top of my screen is 48 cm below the ceiling, so the lens is 20 cm higher than the top of the screen. The screen is 133 in diagonal (16:9) and the throw distance is 464 cm (15 ft).

I had the following projectors installed: VW50, VW60, VW500ES, WV1100ES. I had no visible image degradation with any of them, except for a very mild, barely noticeable pincushion effect (bottom edge of the picture slightly hogging) for the VW60 and VW1100ES.

You should try to mount the projector at the higher location and project the image normally as well as with the lens centred (i.e. no shift), and compare the quality of the bottom parts of the image in each case. If you see no difference or the differences are minimal and acceptable, you will be able to leave the projector like that; otherwise, install the extension arm.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw500es , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page