Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread - Page 142 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #4231 of 4238 Unread Today, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jare View Post
Hi guys,

I got Vw500 today!!!!!!! I am planning on installing it tonight and I have one question. I already have ceiling mount from my current projector. It is the one with the extension arm (so the projector is some 50cm from the ceiling). The mount is centrally positioned.
Since Sony has electronic lens, would it possible to mount it without this extension arm, since Sony is huge projector and it would be low positioned (so that basically is some 5-10cm from the ceiling)? My screen has 50cm drop, so would this affect the picture in any way, or would it be fine? I hope you understand what I mean.
Thank you for the help

If you are asking if you can use the vertical lens shift, yes - refer to the owners manual ( download it from Sony ) for the amount of lens shift you can use ( since I'm a inch kind of guy - not cm's ) !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4232 of 4238 Unread Today, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks Craig. I understand that I can use vertical shift. My question was would this degrade the picture in any way, because for my previous projector was recommended that it should sit in line with the top of the screen, and in this case, Sony would be some 20 inches above?
post #4233 of 4238 Unread Today, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quote:
Thanks Craig. I understand that I can use vertical shift. My question was would this degrade the picture in any way, because for my previous projector was recommended that it should sit in line with the top of the screen, and in this case, Sony would be some 20 inches above?
I wouldn't use more lens shift than absolutely necessary - I would try to get the lens close to the top of the screen. That's where I have mine. Whether having it further above the screen will " degrade " the picture - hard to say - try it. You can always lower the projector, can't you?

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
post #4234 of 4238 Unread Today, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I wouldn't use more lens shift than absolutely necessary - I would try to get the lens close to the top of the screen. That's where I have mine. Whether having it further above the screen will " degrade " the picture - hard to say - try it. You can always lower the projector, can't you?

No. Its not hard to say. It will soften the picture toward the areas undergoing the largest reposition from lens center and CA will worsen. 20 inches is huge. Of course if one sits far enough away and for one who is very uncritical re PQ, they may conclude it looks the same and is great.

But a better answer to will it degrade PQ, the answer is YES if you mount the projector with lens center above screen top. However, ou ma not become aware of the degradation depending on a variety of factors.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #4235 of 4238 Unread Today, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
No. Its not hard to say. It will soften the picture toward the areas undergoing the largest reposition from lens center and CA will worsen. 20 inches is huge. Of course if one sits far enough away and for one who is very uncritical re PQ, they may conclude it looks the same and is great.

But a better answer to will it degrade PQ, the answer is YES if you mount the projector with lens center above screen top. However, ou ma not become aware of the degradation depending on a variety of factors.

I didn't see distance to screen, screen size etc. - so there are a lot of variables. I wouldn't mount it that high.

post #4236 of 4238 Unread Today, 01:00 PM

Ok, understood, so its a no no.
Screen is 110inch and distance is 3.3m or 10,28 feet or 130 inches (I am in Europe, w measure everything in m and cm).
post #4237 of 4238 Unread Today, 01:17 PM

Could you tell me which HDMI (1 or 2) should I use for Bluray?
post #4238 of 4238 Unread Today, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Could you tell me which HDMI (1 or 2) should I use for Bluray?

I am using HDMI # 2 myself.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw500es , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player
Gear in this thread