Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread - Page 149 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #4441 of 4460 Old 01-28-2015, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kouzev View Post
My plan too, and in the meantime I am not going to be frustrated if all that takes time
Who knows, maybe in 5-8 years, other technologies might make 'projectors' a thing of the pass...

I can imagine 150 inch quantum dot, 4K tvs (with HDR, Rec 2020 or beyond, and maybe even 8K e-shift) being below 10K in price... this is of course purely speculative. And if LG solves their OLED issues and are able to create really large OLED at high efficiency rates, then perhaps we can even see super large (wall sized) OLEDs you can paste on your wall like wall papers.

On another note, I would like to see TV manufacturers making the Ultimate Screens, say (all the above specs), and separate out the 'guts' or the 'computer, brain power' out into a set top box. That way, new tech can come about, and we can upgrade the 'brain' without having to spend a lot of money on new screens. Basically dumb screens. The reason is because computer chips are evolving so quickly and formats as well, games, etc... everytime we change a projector/tv, we end up spending the money for both the screen and the guts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4442 of 4460 Old 01-28-2015, 06:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
It does:

To me it looks like green and red are "significantly" more saturated, thus affecting just about everything but blue quite a bit.

A few times.

And because we don't have the reasonably priced VW500 available in the US, we have to pay almost double for a VW600.
I have nothing to do with that. I would love for the VW600 to sell at a lower price. I would sell two or three times as many. The price in the US will always be higher though. There are more expenses. You have the packaging and shipping to the US, you have the import taxes, you have a three year warranty rather than a one year warranty and you have better support for the end user here. Not saying that makes up all of the price difference. Just saying the price here will never be near the price in Japan.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .

Last edited by AV Science Sales 5; 01-28-2015 at 06:57 AM.
post #4443 of 4460 Old 01-28-2015, 07:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
I have nothing to do with that. I would love for the VW600 to sell at a lower price. I would sell two or three times as many. The price in the US will always be higher though. There are more expenses. You have the packaging and shipping to the US, you have the import taxes, you have a three year warranty rather than a one year warranty and you have better support for the end user here. Not saying that makes up all of the price difference. Just saying the price here will never be near the price in Japan.
Oh, I wasn't blaming you, I just quoted you to expand on the reasoning, I know you guys do the best you can. That's why I got my last two projectors from you and will probably get my next one from you, whenever that is. I may well have bought a VW600 when they came out had Sony US not decided to sell them for 50-100% more than in Europe or Canada.
billqs and AV Science Sales 5 like this.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #4444 of 4460 Old 01-28-2015, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
So what is the input lag on the 600(not german intl one) on firmware 1.1?
post #4445 of 4460 Old 01-28-2015, 08:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenBerry View Post
So what is the input lag on the 600(not german intl one) on firmware 1.1?
It is low. I am not a gamer, so I don't remember the exact number, but was thinking it was in the low 30's.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #4446 of 4460 Old 01-28-2015, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
It is low. I am not a gamer, so I don't remember the exact number, but was thinking it was in the low 30's.
Wow, really? Might have to update it and hook my PS4 up again. When I tried it before I was unimpressed.

The Cave: Sony VPL-VW600ES, 110" Elite Fixed, Oppo BDP-103D, HTPC w/PlexHT , Marantz SR-7009, 3 x Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2 , 4 x Emotiva XPA-1L, MartinLogan Motion 60XT, MartinLogan Motion 50XT, 4 x MartinLogan MotionFX, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP, 4 x Gallo Nucleus Micro (Atmos Height)
post #4447 of 4460 Old 01-28-2015, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
Wow, really? Might have to update it and hook my PS4 up again. When I tried it before I was unimpressed.
There is a new menu item which you have to change in order to disable some extra processing and get the low latency time.
post #4448 of 4460 Old 01-28-2015, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kouzev View Post
There is a new menu item which you have to change in order to disable some extra processing and get the low latency time.
Good to know. Thanks Mike and George.

The Cave: Sony VPL-VW600ES, 110" Elite Fixed, Oppo BDP-103D, HTPC w/PlexHT , Marantz SR-7009, 3 x Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2 , 4 x Emotiva XPA-1L, MartinLogan Motion 60XT, MartinLogan Motion 50XT, 4 x MartinLogan MotionFX, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP, 4 x Gallo Nucleus Micro (Atmos Height)
post #4449 of 4460 Old 01-28-2015, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Just saying the price here will never be near the price in Japan.
I remember in the 80's the TVs in Japan were significantly higher than the same models in the US. The US TV companies (RCA, GE) accused Sony and others of dumping. How times have changed.
post #4450 of 4460 Old 01-28-2015, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Not my point Mike. We all know no one needs to be giving specific street prices. However in trhge
Quote:
Because the rules of the forum have always been, quote MSRP, not street price.
Not my point Mike. We all know no one needs to be giving specific street prices here on the forums as general rule. However, in the context of the specific conversation, with MSRP being so vastly different from street price in this case, it was an important point to point out that the vast majority of us did not have to pay full MSRP on our VW500/600's. Which was obviously a strong factor in most people's purchasing decision.

post #4451 of 4460 Old Yesterday, 05:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
Not my point Mike. We all know no one needs to be giving specific street prices. However in trhge

Not my point Mike. We all know no one needs to be giving specific street prices here on the forums as general rule. However, in the context of the specific conversation, with MSRP being so vastly different from street price in this case, it was an important point to point out that the vast majority of us did not have to pay full MSRP on our VW500/600's. Which was obviously a strong factor in most people's purchasing decision.
As far as I understand it, in the US, due to Sony SURE pricing, MSRP is not significantly different from street price on the VW600.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #4452 of 4460 Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
As far as I understand it, in the US, due to Sony SURE pricing, MSRP is not significantly different from street price on the VW600.

That's certainly not the case online presently, a quick check of Google shopping or Amazon will show you there's new units out there from bricks and mortar as well as online retailers for under $10k. I mean sure, my long time experience keeping an eye on Sony projector pricing over last 10 years has shown me that initially it's very difficult to find pricing much below recommended retail, but with in 2-3 months of launch the pricing starts to drop away quite significantly. It was no different for the VW600 in that regard.

post #4453 of 4460 Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
That's certainly not the case online presently, a quick check of Google shopping or Amazon will show you there's new units out there from bricks and mortar as well as online retailers for under $10k. I mean sure, my long time experience keeping an eye on Sony projector pricing over last 10 years has shown me that initially it's very difficult to find pricing much below recommended retail, but with in 2-3 months of launch the pricing starts to drop away quite significantly. It was no different for the VW600 in that regard.
He is talking about authorized dealers. Amazon and Sony are the only on-line authorized Sony dealers. What you are looking at are third party non-authorized dealers on Amazon. I assume you would like a warranty with your new projector.

post #4454 of 4460 Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, with a multi-thousand dollar purchase, I don't want to be left holding the bag if something goes wrong after the return policy. And I don't even see the VW600 on Amazon proper, just through 3rd parties. The authorized dealers (I assume) stand out pretty clearly, since they all list it for $14,999.99.

post #4455 of 4460 Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 387
They were selling the 1000ES as an authorized dealer a few years back, but I don't think they sold too many as the price on their site was MSRP.
post #4456 of 4460 Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
He is talking about authorized dealers. Amazon and Sony are the only on-line authorized Sony dealers. What you are looking at are third party non-authorized dealers on Amazon. I assume you would like a warranty with your new projector.
So Abe's of Maine isn't an authorised dealer? I think I'd be pretty comfortable buying from a business of their ilk.

Quote:
Yeah, with a multi-thousand dollar purchase, I don't want to be left holding the bag if something goes wrong after the return policy. And I don't even see the VW600 on Amazon proper, just through 3rd parties. The authorized dealers (I assume) stand out pretty clearly, since they all list it for $14,999.99.
And yes of course, how did I know that because I didn't spoon-feed the fact I was referring to Amazon third party vendors, that my comment would be taken as strictly Amazon. You get that result in a general Amazon search anyway so I thought it could be taken as that.

post #4457 of 4460 Unread Today, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thankfully Troy's exchange works like intended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9009 View Post
I paid a similar price for a VW500ES that I bought from a local dealer, including delivery to my home. After exchanging three units with horrendous blue thermal convergence shift and colour non-uniformity (shading) problems - all explained somewhere in this thread - I returned this model and went instead for the VW1100ES which is in a completely different class. I paid more for the latter and got an excellent deal, too, but not as good as that for the VW500ES.
YIkes! Three bad units? You've seen pictures of my panel alignment problems with my first unit. Unfixable! The second one Troy sent me works like a charm on my 138" 2.35 to 1 screen.

I lost most of my home theater budget when my house revealed that it had three separate carpenter ant infestations. I had to replace the entire back of the house. But as you can guess, I still wanted a home theater, and great quality, but it would have to be at the lowest price.

So, I found what you found. I had the same questions. Here's what I understand about going with Troy:

The unit is warranted, but you have to mail it to JAPAN for service. Troy will get you an RMA #. It seems to only affect WHERE you send it for free repairs.

You have to change the language from Japanese to English. The manual says english is the default. But it wasn't. The online manual will show you how to find it in the menu despite the Japanese characters. Once you change that, you're set.

Power is no problem. Just use a standard computer still 3 pin plug. NEMA 5-15P to IEC320C13 if you want to be technical.

Troy replaced my first unit with a new exchange and it works great. So there's no worry about ordering and getting stuck with something that doesn't work. From now on if something goes haywire, I put it in the mail. For 2500 savings, it was worth it to me.

I hope that helps. Please tell troy Mark in New Hampshire says hello!
post #4458 of 4460 Unread Today, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Firmware

BTW my new unit did arrive with the 1.20A firmware already installed. The last 500ES I got had firmware 3 releases old. I think that unit may have sat for a while. The one I have now works great.
post #4459 of 4460 Unread Today, 08:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
So Abe's of Maine isn't an authorised dealer? I think I'd be pretty comfortable buying from a business of their ilk.

And yes of course, how did I know that because I didn't spoon-feed the fact I was referring to Amazon third party vendors, that my comment would be taken as strictly Amazon. You get that result in a general Amazon search anyway so I thought it could be taken as that.
No, Abe's of Maine is not an authorized Sony dealer. Shoot me an email and I will send you a letter from Sony, where Sony specifically states that Abe's of Maine is not an authorized Sony dealer. You can also look at this link and see all authorized Sony dealers: http://store.sony.com/-cms-page.sony...SDOKm-IMgeNguZ
Note that AV Science is in the third column, 4th one down.

Last edited by AV Science Sales 5; Today at 09:18 AM.
post #4460 of 4460 Unread Today, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
I learned a long time ago, when I used to buy camera and video gear, that some of these lowball outfits were either selling gray market gear, weren't authorized dealers, and would try to hard sell you accessories up the wazoo. Then slam you with an outrageous shipping charge if you didn't buy the extra crap. Wasn't worth the hassle to save a couple dollars.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw500es , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page