Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread - Page 154 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #4591 of 4619 Old 02-24-2015, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I think the writing has been on the wall for 3D for a while. For 3D to be sustainable, it's going to require wearing no glasses while maintaining very good, bright picture quality (versus, say, some dull crappy looking hologram image).
I agree totally. 3D with no glasses would be the best of course, although I still enjoy 3D with glasses on the Imax way better than regular 2D.

Upon further reflection, I think I might have stumbled on the reason why they aren't including 3D in the 4K blu ray. If everything I read is accurate, they are going to be using the similar Blu Ray Discs with perhaps more layers and maybe slightly more packed. So, they're going to be getting something like 100GB of storage, which can store 2D with all the improved specs like HDR, HFR, 4:4:4, etc. There may just be no room for 3D at all. So, it could all just be a physical limitation right now, which sucks for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 4619 Old 02-25-2015, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does the 600ES has hdmi 2.0 and hdcp 2.2 ?
post #4593 of 4619 Old 02-25-2015, 10:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyguy View Post
Does the 600ES has hdmi 2.0 and hdcp 2.2 ?
Yes, but not full 18gbs. They are 10.2.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #4594 of 4619 Old 02-25-2015, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Yes, but not full 18gbs. They are 10.2.
OK. 600ES or 350ES , will they play the UHD blue ray movies ( new format) which will be released end of this year ?
post #4595 of 4619 Old 02-25-2015, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 219
They should, although for UHD Blu-ray movies that utilize DCI-P3 gamut (or wider) they won't be able to take advantage of that.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #4596 of 4619 Old 02-25-2015, 01:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyguy View Post
OK. 600ES or 350ES , will they play the UHD blue ray movies ( new format) which will be released end of this year ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
They should, although for UHD Blu-ray movies that utilize DCI-P3 gamut (or wider) they won't be able to take advantage of that.
Note that when you go to the movies, you are viewing DCI. For years we have had DCI at the theater and BD at home. Most people feel that they have a better image at home than what they see at the movie theater. Stranger89 is correct, you will be missing out on a little bit larger color space.
George Kouzev likes this.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #4597 of 4619 Old Yesterday, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Wondering if we will see a 4k projector with hdr and dci / p3 color space at cedia?
post #4598 of 4619 Old Yesterday, 05:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I think DCI/P3 is a pretty sure thing, it's not that much of an engineering task to get there (how bright they'll be is a good question though). If we see an HDR one, it wouldn't surprise me if it's >$100k, and probably a stacked DLP design.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #4599 of 4619 Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Note that when you go to the movies, you are viewing DCI. For years we have had DCI at the theater and BD at home. Most people feel that they have a better image at home than what they see at the movie theater. Stranger89 is correct, you will be missing out on a little bit larger color space.
Friends that watched Avatar on my VW600 a week or 2 ago, said they could see far more detail in my theater than when they saw it at IMAX !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #4600 of 4619 Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I added a Darbee 5000 set to HD 35 to my 600ES last night and couldn't tell a darn thing on demo mode. Am I missing something or are our 600ESs that good that I should just send it back?
post #4601 of 4619 Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Zoom method for letter-boxed movies

For folks with a scope screen and using the zoom method for letter-boxed movies. What do you do to see menus and other items with your projector zoomed?

I have a VW600 and a 22" Samsung 1080/60P TV connected to my processor which has two HDMI outs so I thought it would be no problem to see the menus on the Samsung TV. Unfortunately the TV will not do 24P so it is useless for this purpose. I have a 32" Vizo 1080/120P and it works fine for this purpose. I would much prefer a smaller screen for this use. It is in the media room and doubles as a monitor for the HTPC.

Does anyone know of a TV in the 22 to 24 inch range that can display 24P and has at least 2 HDMI and one component/composite inputs?
post #4602 of 4619 Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
For folks with a scope screen and using the zoom method for letter-boxed movies. What do you do to see menus and other items with your projector zoomed?

I have a VW600 and a 22" Samsung 1080/60P TV connected to my processor which has two HDMI outs so I thought it would be no problem to see the menus on the Samsung TV. Unfortunately the TV will not do 24P so it is useless for this purpose. I have a 32" Vizo 1080/120P and it works fine for this purpose. I would much prefer a smaller screen for this use. It is in the media room and doubles as a monitor for the HTPC.

Does anyone know of a TV in the 22 to 24 inch range that can display 24P and has at least 2 HDMI and one component/composite inputs?
Try hitting the squeeze button under aspect.

post #4603 of 4619 Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Friends that watched Avatar on my VW600 a week or 2 ago, said they could see far more detail in my theater than when they saw it at IMAX !
Detail is a separate issue from colorspace/gamut

post #4604 of 4619 Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quote:
Detail is a separate issue from colorspace/gamut

True, but overall I'm not impressed with commercial theater picture quality. It's all over the map. So you're saying you prefer DCI colorspace color even if the picture is fuzzier? Not me. Depending on your screen material, your source, how many hours on the lamp since the last calibration, color varies somewhat too. As does our perception of it.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
post #4605 of 4619 Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello!

is there anyone that know how to factory reset my VW500ES?
post #4606 of 4619 Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat2002 View Post
I added a Darbee 5000 set to HD 35 to my 600ES last night and couldn't tell a darn thing on demo mode. Am I missing something or are our 600ESs that good that I should just send it back?
Go over to the Darblet thread and see the consensus is that it's easier to see the difference on a still frame turning the Darblet on and off instead of trying to use demo or split screen mode.

I had my Darblet on my 600ES for about a week before I decided it didn't add anything to the already gorgeous picture. I ended up moving the Darblet to an older Sharp LCD TV, where it makes a definite improvement.

OPPO BDP-103, Comcast DVR, Sony FMP-X1 4K server
Marantz AV8801 pre/pro, Yamaha MX-A5000 amp
Sony VPL-VW600ES projector, Stewart StudioTek130 103" diag screen
7 Thiel speakers (3 SCS4, 2 PowerPoint, 2 PowerPlane), 2 JL Audio E110 subs
Harmony Ultimate remote
post #4607 of 4619 Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAP2015 View Post
Hello!

is there anyone that know how to factory reset my VW500ES?

I wander if reinstalling the firmware would do this?
post #4608 of 4619 Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
True, but overall I'm not impressed with commercial theater picture quality. It's all over the map. So you're saying you prefer DCI colorspace color even if the picture is fuzzier?
I'm saying I've been to a few movies (I don't go often) where I when I get the movie on disc at home, I'm disappointed that the colors aren't as vibrant/saturated as they were at the theater. I very much look forward to no longer having a subset of color at home, vs the theater.

Just think how much bigger the gap between Home and Commercial theater will be when we aren't handicapped by low bit depth and reduced gamut

post #4609 of 4619 Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm saying I've been to a few movies (I don't go often) where I when I get the movie on disc at home, I'm disappointed that the colors aren't as vibrant/saturated as they were at the theater. I very much look forward to no longer having a subset of color at home, vs the theater.

Just think how much bigger the gap between Home and Commercial theater will be when we aren't handicapped by low bit depth and reduced gamut

I'm all for better source material, but the last time I went to the theater, the blacks were washed out, and the movie ultimately looked better on Blu Ray at home. My Lumis and VW600 on a StudioTek 130 G3 looks pretty damn good now. I just moved my seating forward another 5" too, for a slightly more immersive picture.

post #4610 of 4619 Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM

Here is my final theater room setup. 9' Ceiling with flush mount of 600ES. 125" Seymour AV 4k UF Screen is best I have ever seen. I would highly recommend to anyone. Lovin' it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	572481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Projector.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	572489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Disney.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	572505  
post #4611 of 4619 Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
I'm all for better source material, but the last time I went to the theater, the blacks were washed out, and the movie ultimately looked better on Blu Ray at home. My Lumis and VW600 on a StudioTek 130 G3 looks pretty damn good now. I just moved my seating forward another 5" too, for a slightly more immersive picture.
Agreed, the black levels and washed out look at theaters just looks terrible IMO.

post #4612 of 4619 Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Agreed, the black levels and washed out look at theaters just looks terrible IMO.

And with our own 4oz popcorn machine, and a wine cellar, I can " out snack " a commercial theater too.
DavidHir likes this.

post #4613 of 4619 Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Here is my final theater room setup. 9' Ceiling with flush mount of 600ES. 125" Seymour AV 4k UF Screen is best I have ever seen. I would highly recommend to anyone. Lovin' it!
Looks nice -- like the Ms. Pacman machine ...

If you can work it past your spouse -- I would look to black out the walls of the actual projector room.
post #4614 of 4619 Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM

I know...not gonna happen...but I could do was paint the ceiling the same as the walls. Still works well for us!
post #4615 of 4619 Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
I know...not gonna happen...but I could do was paint the ceiling the same as the walls. Still works well for us!
Well -- that is what I had in mind. Married folks have a harder time getting away with velvet everywhere. Show your SO pictures of my set (see my sig). I didn't go black -- but a nice deep, dark blue paint with a creamy white trim. Came out spouse approved (for the most part).
post #4616 of 4619 Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Common boys put your pants back on. When I told my wife I was painting the room all black she didn't like the idea but as I told her it was my room and it wasn't up to her anyway.
Fast forward when it was time to paint it she was the first to get the roller in her hand. When it was finished she actually said to me that I made a great choice as it looked great.
Now I know not all women are the same but I'd just paint it when she is away if your game. At least the wall behind the screen anyway.
It's time the skirts were given back to the wives.

Seriously I know everyone's situation is different but we have 3 different lounge rooms so she has 1 and I had 1 so I made 2 rooms out of mine so if she didn't like it she could sit in her room as before. She loves the media room and she spends all her time in it now so she is happy as Larry.
Bottom line is that if I had listened to her first up then the room wouldn't he black...I would not he happy...she would be. now it's black we are both happy.
Also mine is a dedicated room near the front door so everybody sees it when they walk in. I can see if its a big multi use room in the house it would he different. Id still paint or put up velvet behind the screen at the very least.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Last edited by WIKED; Yesterday at 07:30 PM.
post #4617 of 4619 Old Yesterday, 07:46 PM

You have more balls than me.
post #4618 of 4619 Old Today, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Try hitting the squeeze button under aspect.
That only reduces the width. When zoomed, it is menu items (from the BD player) at the top or bottom or both that causes problems.
post #4619 of 4619 Old Today, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quick question, I used the '3D' button on my remote and did a convert 2d>3d, and then i can't figure out how to get out of the 3d mode... anyone have any ideas?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw500es , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player
Gear in this thread