Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread - Page 155 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #4621 of 4640 Old Today, 12:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Quick question, I used the '3D' button on my remote and did a convert 2d>3d, and then i can't figure out how to get out of the 3d mode... anyone have any ideas?
Press 3D button on remote and choose the 2D option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4622 of 4640 Old Today, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIKED View Post
Press 3D button on remote and choose the 2D option.
THanks.. i finally figured it out...
post #4623 of 4640 Old Today, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So it appears as though if you have a 16x9 screen, you are always going to get spillover on the right and left sides. Very dumb that there isn't a 16x9 aspect ratio built into this projector.
post #4624 of 4640 Old Today, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat2002 View Post
So it appears as though if you have a 16x9 screen, you are always going to get spillover on the right and left sides. Very dumb that there isn't a 16x9 aspect ratio built into this projector.
The very tiny black bars, with the good black levels on this projector, are no more distracting than the tiny black bars one still gets watching 2.XX:1 content on a 2.35:1 screen ( since actual content varies from 2.35:1 all the way to 2.55:1 ). They don't bother me in the least !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #4625 of 4640 Old Today, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't get this... i have a 16:9 screen and there's no spillover...

Click on the 'zoom' button, and you'll see many rectangular lines... you can line up the lines per your screen and the image will fill it properly. for instance, 16:9 movies will like up with the 16:9 line...
post #4626 of 4640 Old Today, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone knows if the Sony 500/600ES can support Sony's 'Mastered in 4K' blu rays? And if so, will it show all the enhancements in these blu rays.. basically i want to know if it's worth buying these Blu Rays...

And lastly, if the projector does support the 'Mastered in 4K discs', do i need a special sony Blu Ray player?
post #4627 of 4640 Old Today, 12:20 PM

I did do that so that the 16x9 image fits properly on the screen but there is the extra light with no displayed image to the right and left of it due to the wider aspect ratio (on normal or 1.85) I just wish the light was only cast on the screen. Does that make sense?
post #4628 of 4640 Old Today, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I did do that so that the 16x9 image fits properly on the screen but there is the extra light with no displayed image to the right and left of it due to the wider aspect ratio (on normal or 1.85) I just wish the light was only cast on the screen. Does that make sense?
Strange... how much extra light are there? In my projector, when projecting 16:9 format videos, there weren't any 'extra light'.... it was just the 16:9 image...
post #4629 of 4640 Old Today, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I get a little spillover. I am looking to extend my masking on the screen to cover it.
post #4630 of 4640 Old Today, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Anyone knows if the Sony 500/600ES can support Sony's 'Mastered in 4K' blu rays? And if so, will it show all the enhancements in these blu rays.. basically i want to know if it's worth buying these Blu Rays...

And lastly, if the projector does support the 'Mastered in 4K discs', do i need a special sony Blu Ray player?
Yes it can. As long as your blu-ray player passes the extra color information to the projector. That being said, it's not a spectacular difference.
post #4631 of 4640 Old Today, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Preliminary viewing of the Sony 500ES 4K projector on the Centerstage XD screen.

My initial reaction? Absolutely stunning pictures.

On HD projectors the XD material's weave is visible up to 10 feet or so, but it seems that when you use the 4K projector you can go much closer without seeing the weave.. I do not yet know how to explain this. I mean, a weave is a weave right? But my gut feeling is that the 'weave' we see may be a combination of 'pixel size + weave' rather than just 'weave'.

With the 4K projector, the image is silky smooth, baby bottom smooth... (enter your own analogy here).

When watching 3D, i can even walk up to my 10 feet wide screen and look right through it, like looking out a window. 3D has never been better (not even on the IMAX), as this projector on a 10 feet wide 0.9 gain screen is brighter than the image on the IMAX and with much better contrast and black levels. Space looks like absolute black... stars looks like stars...

Anyways, judge for yourself.. the image is taken about 9 feet away.. zoom in and see if you can see any weave. BTW: this pic was taken by my Samsung phone... the actual image is way smoother and much better colors...

BTW: This is an upscaled 1080p music video from a DTS demo track. Imagine what a 'real' 4K source would be like.

post #4632 of 4640 Old Today, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billqs View Post
I get a little spillover. I am looking to extend my masking on the screen to cover it.

See the pic i just posted.. i don't see any spillover at all..
post #4633 of 4640 Old Today, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes it can. As long as your blu-ray player passes the extra color information to the projector. That being said, it's not a spectacular difference.
Do you know which of the sony blu-ray players is compatible with this? I have a lower end sony BP, but not sure how to tell if it's compatible with these discs...
post #4634 of 4640 Old Today, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Do you know which of the sony blu-ray players is compatible with this? I have a lower end sony BP, but not sure how to tell if it's compatible with these discs...
Any brand recent bluray player should play it as long as it supports x.v.Color format. That is where Sony is getting the (slightly) wider color range.

You may have to turn it on in the menu of both your bluray and your projector.
post #4635 of 4640 Old Today, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Any brand recent bluray player should play it as long as it supports x.v.Color format. That is where Sony is getting the (slightly) wider color range.

You may have to turn it on in the menu of both your bluray and your projector.
That's just the x.v color part.. what about the 4K part? I heard how sony does it is embed extra algorithm and extra pixel information on space that is not used so that when those information is passed to the blu ray player, it actually re-construct an actual 4K image... not 100% of the pixels of a real 4K, but 'more information' than a HD... I watched the video explaining the 'mastered in 4K' tech by sony...
post #4636 of 4640 Old Today, 01:38 PM

Quote:
See the pic i just posted.. i don't see any spillover at all..
This projector throws a mighty pic! It's hand's down the best projector I've ever owned. Watching blu-rays can be sublime, even though they are upconverted from 1080p.

As for spillover, maybe your masking has covered it, or maybe you put the entire frame into your screen when zooming it. I zoomed using the "inner" 16x9 bars on the internally generated graph. I wouldn't notice spillover at all except my front wall is grey instead of black so I get a very small amount of visible black bars.
post #4637 of 4640 Old Today, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This projector throws a mighty pic! It's hand's down the best projector I've ever owned. Watching blu-rays can be sublime, even though they are upconverted from 1080p.

As for spillover, maybe your masking has covered it, or maybe you put the entire frame into your screen when zooming it. I zoomed using the "inner" 16x9 bars on the internally generated graph. I wouldn't notice spillover at all except my front wall is grey instead of black so I get a very small amount of visible black bars.
Right, it's possible the spillover you're talking about is on my black velvet and can't be seen... i'll zoom out a bit and see if i see any spillover later...
post #4638 of 4640 Old Today, 01:49 PM

Quote:
That's just the x.v color part.. what about the 4K part? I heard how sony does it is embed extra algorithm and extra pixel information on space that is not used so that when those information is passed to the blu ray player, it actually re-construct an actual 4K image... not 100% of the pixels of a real 4K, but 'more information' than a HD... I watched the video explaining the 'mastered in 4K' tech by sony...
My understanding is that "Mastered in 4k" is the bluray equivalent of "Superbit DVD." The master will play within existing bluray players, but has been "optimized" for Sony's upscale algorythms in Reality Creation. You can find the Mastered in 4k Menu on your projector and see if that adds anything to what you see without it.

While I don't have many Mastered in 4k blurays, I do have the Sony FMPx10 and actual 4k movies. The difference is not as profound as one might expect. I think most people would be hardpressed to choose between "The Amazing Spiderman 2" in UHD from the Sony player, "The Amazing Spiderman 2"- Mastered in 4k, or even just the regular bluray release of "The Amazing Spiderman 2".

For the record I don't think the reason for this is bad 4k transfers as much as how awesome the upscaled 1080p from a high bit rate bluray is.
coolgeek likes this.
post #4639 of 4640 Unread Today, 02:11 PM

I'd look closer...it's projecting 'black' but it's there.
post #4640 of 4640 Unread Today, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My understanding is that "Mastered in 4k" is the bluray equivalent of "Superbit DVD." The master will play within existing bluray players, but has been "optimized" for Sony's upscale algorythms in Reality Creation. You can find the Mastered in 4k Menu on your projector and see if that adds anything to what you see without it.

While I don't have many Mastered in 4k blurays, I do have the Sony FMPx10 and actual 4k movies. The difference is not as profound as one might expect. I think most people would be hardpressed to choose between "The Amazing Spiderman 2" in UHD from the Sony player, "The Amazing Spiderman 2"- Mastered in 4k, or even just the regular bluray release of "The Amazing Spiderman 2".

For the record I don't think the reason for this is bad 4k transfers as much as how awesome the upscaled 1080p from a high bit rate bluray is.
Now that I have a 4K projector, I really want to play 4K materials..

I downloaded some '4K demo materials' that they used for 4K tv displays in shops and played them on my Dune HD over to the sony projector and the images were night and day difference between my upscaled blu ray vs the 'real 4k demo materials'.. so, i have a feeling that if you're playing 4K movies, those movies aren't mastered right... i take it you're playing the 4K movies that sony have in their 'downloadable site'... maybe they aren't full Blu Ray specs, and more like downloaded 4K content.. or closer to streaming with lower bit rates...

Wait for the real 4K blu rays to hit the market end of this year and next and then we'll know how much of a difference real 4k makes vs upscaled hd content...
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw500es , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page