Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread - Page 157 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-08-2015, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1204 Post(s)
Liked: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
I saw this movie in Imax 5 times... it was one of my favorites... I intended to watch it many times in my HT.. but alas, the black levels is so bad I just can't... all the good parts can't be seen.. in 3D mode it was at least watchable.. in 2D, it totally can't be watched...

Sorry. I didn't realize that watching this flick repeatedly was so important to you. At home, the blacks would be less bright (more black) then they were at the Imax theater. But what you are saying is the black detail is lost at home, correct? What happens if you just run it with a gamma of say 1.8. The blacks wouldn't be as good as if you ran at 2.2 or 2.4 but you would see the lost detail.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536

Last edited by mark haflich; 03-08-2015 at 10:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2015, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is there a way to adjust pincushion?
Old 03-08-2015, 06:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1780 Post(s)
Liked: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat2002 View Post
Is there a way to adjust pincushion?
Shim the screen out from the wall at the ends.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
Sorry. I didn't realize that watching this flick repeatedly was so important to you. At home, the blacks would be less bright (nore black) then they were at the Imax theater. But what you are saying is the black detail is lost at home, correct? What happens if you just run it with a gamma of say 1.8. The blacks wouldn't be as good as if you ran at 2.2 or 2.4 but you would see the lost detail.
I tried all the gamma.. it was very bad... you can hardly tell what's happening and the details, like you said, are basically gone... even at low gamma.. (slightly better)...

But with 3D, you can see the details, but everything's greyish...
Old 03-09-2015, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
I ended up going through my blu ray collection and noticed that black levels / contrast in godzilla was really bad.. it was hard making out everything in the dark.. while other movies had really good 'dark scenes' which were very clear for me..

do you think a lot of the 'bad black levels' is mostly due to the 'source' itself? for instance, in gravity, black was almost absolute black for me and there weren't a single dark scene were i wasn't able to see as clear as daylight (with all the shadow details)... godzilla was the opposite..

Source material varies widely. I watched " Perks Of Being A Wallflower " with my wife, and thought there was something wrong with my projector during dark scenes. Then, I read the review of the disk on http://www.blu-ray.com/ - turns out the video just looks bad. On the other hand, I hadn't watched the original Star Trek movies in several years, until last week. Black levels in some of the space scenes looked outstanding ! So, when in doubt, check out a review on your source material. Sometimes its good, sometimes it's not good.
mbw23air and coolgeek like this.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Old 03-09-2015, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 639
The original Trek movies (especially after the first two) were overly processed in terms of noise reduction. I'm hoping Paramount properly remasters these one day. The Wrath of Khan was sourced from 4K and looks outstanding IMO.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
The original Trek movies (especially after the first two) were overly processed in terms of noise reduction. I'm hoping Paramount properly remasters these one day. The Wrath of Khan was sourced from 4K and looks outstanding IMO.
Ya, they do vary a bit - but even the original movie looks pretty good for a 36 year old movie. But the space scenes produced really good dark blacks that prevented me from pouring wine. I joked that " we've entered a Black Hole - don't move your glass " more than once, over several of the movies.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Old 03-09-2015, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Here is one thing I learned about the first movie having watched it projected: this movie was made for the big screen. I mean in some ways it felt epic. I never saw it in the theaters when it came out and only watched it up to 65" prior to getting my front projection set-up. But watching it at 9 feet wide really allowed me to appreciate one of the things they were trying to do with this film.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Here is one thing I learned about the first movie having watched it projected: this movie was made for the big screen. I mean in some ways it felt epic. I never saw it in the theaters when it came out and only watched it up to 65" prior to getting my front projection set-up. But watching it at 9 feet wide really allowed me to appreciate one of the things they were trying to do with this film.

That is the beauty of home theater with screens 100" and up. Lots of movies are like that. Lawrence of Arabia, 2001 Space Odyssey, the list is endless of films that don't work well on a TV , and are a revelation on a movie screen. That's why I love home theater so much !!
DavidHir and buzzard767 like this.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

And Lawrence palls in a HT that is not DCI-P3. The colors of the dessert are just wrong at home. This movie needs to be watched in a good quality commercial theater or a big boy HT with a server and a commercial 2K or 4K DCI feed.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Old 03-09-2015, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
And Lawrence palls in a HT that is not DCI-P3. The colors of the dessert are just wrong at home. This movie needs to be watched in a good quality commercial theater or a big boy HT with a server and a commercial 2K or 4K DCI feed.

Too bad you only have VW1100.

Man, sometimes I think you are somehow related to Grumpy Cat.
chrisreeves likes this.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Too bad you only have VW1100.

Man, sometimes I think you are somehow related to Grumpy Cat.

If 4K bluray comes and Lawrence is released in P3, it is in 4K now from the Sony puck and the Sony brick, I will be able to watch it in my HT but alas 41 x 96 masked screen.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Old 03-09-2015, 04:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If anyone knows Lawrence of Arabia on Blu-ray, it's this man. I think he says it all.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topi...ia-in-blu-ray/

Old 03-10-2015, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If anyone knows Lawrence of Arabia on Blu-ray, it's this man. I think he says it all.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topi...ia-in-blu-ray/

Thanks for the link. Lawrence of Arabia looks much better on Blu-ray than it did on the Sony DVD, that's for sure.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If 4K bluray comes and Lawrence is released in P3, it is in 4K now from the Sony puck and the Sony brick, I will be able to watch it in my HT but alas 41 x 96 masked screen.
Ya, even on my 50.2" x 118" screen, it's barely big enough. You need a bigger screen !

Old 03-10-2015, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 50
When performing a user-level calibration with Spears & Munsil or similar disc, do you disable dynamic iris or leave it at the setting in which it will be used?
Old 03-10-2015, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
When performing a user-level calibration with Spears & Munsil or similar disc, do you disable dynamic iris or leave it at the setting in which it will be used?

Disable
Old 03-11-2015, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Two questions regarding the 500ES/600ES with regard to 4K Bluray:

1 - Even though they won't do the P3 colorspace - will they show at least some additional color than what is encoded now in the colorspace used by 1080p Bluray?

2 - Even if the answer to question #1 is "no" - will the 500ES/600ES at least be capable of displaying a higher bit-depth of the colorspace they are capable of displaying?

So, in effect, when reading 4K bluray discs, will the 500ES/600ES show either deeper sampling or wider color of any amount vs what is encoded in 1080p blu ray 8 bit color?

"Don't forget that a significant contribution made by the use of high-end cabling is emotional. Knowing that you have the best available causes the listening and viewing to be that much more enjoyable. Observable improvements make it even better."

-From a post on the audio video improvements forum

Last edited by chrisreeves; 03-11-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 54
#1 - unlikely. Even though the 600/350 support slightly wider than 709 colour space (xvColor, which is utilized by the Mastered in 4k blurays presumably), the players will likely map DCI colors to 709. It is possible that Sony players or PS4/5 could map to that slightly larger space.

# - the 8-bit limitation only applies to 60/50fps at 4k. As with the 1080p disks, the UHD disks will likely utilize 24fps in most cases, so the Sony will support the higher bit resolutions.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I noticed that only 1 side of the exhaust is warm to the touch, ie, pushing out warm air.. the right side is cool to the touch.. from the specs i read, both are supposed to be exhaust vents.. is this perhaps some faulty wiring in the unit i have? apparently the demo unit at the store is the same way.. the left side is hot, the right side is cool to the touch.. (it's either sucking in air, or doing nothing at all)....
Old 03-12-2015, 03:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I noticed that only 1 side of the exhaust is warm to the touch, ie, pushing out warm air.. the right side is cool to the touch.. from the specs i read, both are supposed to be exhaust vents.. is this perhaps some faulty wiring in the unit i have? apparently the demo unit at the store is the same way.. the left side is hot, the right side is cool to the touch.. (it's either sucking in air, or doing nothing at all)....
The lamp is on the hot side. The air runs from back to front. There is a small fan that sits just in front of the lamp that exhausts the hot air.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicj1 View Post
The lamp is on the hot side. The air runs from back to front. There is a small fan that sits just in front of the lamp that exhausts the hot air.
Yes, I understand.. but that doesn't explain why only the LEFT vent is operating.. the right side is not... the fan there seems to be off or not venting or actually sucking in air instead...
Old 03-12-2015, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

I see. So you say it's not ruining at all. Can you prove the fan is not running by holding tissue paper over the vents?
Old 03-12-2015, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Yes, I understand.. but that doesn't explain why only the LEFT vent is operating.. the right side is not... the fan there seems to be off or not venting or actually sucking in air instead...
If there are two fans (?), perhaps the second turns on only when needed. Set the lamp to High mode and then Cooling Setting to High and see what happens.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I see. So you say it's not ruining at all. Can you prove the fan is not running by holding tissue paper over the vents?
No I haven't done a tissue paper test yet.. but one side is cool to the touch, the other is VERY hot.. either the fan is not turned on on the cool side or it's actually sucking in air...

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kouzev View Post
If there are two fans (?), perhaps the second turns on only when needed. Set the lamp to High mode and then Cooling Setting to High and see what happens.
You might have a point here.. perhaps the 2nd fan only turns on when temperature reaches a certain degree... i have my projector on high lamp mode and high cooling setting for over 3 hours and only one side is on.. i wonder if anyone know for sure if one of my fan is spoiled, or if this is how it's supposed to operate...
Old 03-12-2015, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
No I haven't done a tissue paper test yet.. but one side is cool to the touch, the other is VERY hot.. either the fan is not turned on on the cool side or it's actually sucking in air...

You might have a point here.. perhaps the 2nd fan only turns on when temperature reaches a certain degree... i have my projector on high lamp mode and high cooling setting for over 3 hours and only one side is on.. i wonder if anyone know for sure if one of my fan is spoiled, or if this is how it's supposed to operate...
On this picture. No 11 exhaust definitely varies depending on room temp, projector setting etc. Try putting on some 3D, this will/should get things moving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sony.PNG
Views:	72
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	598609  
Old 03-12-2015, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
On this picture. No 11 exhaust definitely varies depending on room temp, projector setting etc. Try putting on some 3D, this will/should get things moving.
Where did the manual say that only one exhaust will start unless it gets too hot?
Old 03-12-2015, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Where did the manual say that only one exhaust will start unless it gets too hot?

It doesn't as far as I'm aware. Only mentions fan increasing due to high temperatures :

Check the installation requirements of the unit. Fan speed increases to maintain the product reliability of the projector’s components in a room, where the temperature is higher than normal. The fan noise becomes slightly louder. The approximate normal temperature is 25°C (77°F).

No11 exhaust. Mine never gets hot to touch, but I do know it's running.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Speaking of fans and cooling has anyone seen any info regarding filters? Searched the manual for "filter" and "clean", nothing was mentioned about filters and cleaning only talked about cleaning the case.

Have a Sony service manual ordered for the VW600 and will see what it has to say about cleaning. My old JVC projector had one large and several small filters that had to be cleaned.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Speaking of fans and cooling has anyone seen any info regarding filters? Searched the manual for "filter" and "clean", nothing was mentioned about filters and cleaning only talked about cleaning the case.

Have a Sony service manual ordered for the VW600 and will see what it has to say about cleaning. My old JVC projector had one large and several small filters that had to be cleaned.

I'm not aware that the VW600 has filters. My Sim Lumis doesn't - no problems in 6 years. Then again, I try and keep the dust bunnies to a minimum around here.

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw500es , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player