Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread - Page 159 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #4741 of 4767 Old 03-24-2015, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Are you basing that off 900 hours? I can do that math too, but where does it actually say thats the length of life?

I wasnt asking for a number personally tailored to me, I cant find any information which lists the official bulb life for the 500ES or the 300ES, it's not on any of the Sony websites, I have found 5000 hours and 2500 hours thrown around in a review here and there for low lamp but nothing seems to definitively say what the deal is and those two numbers are wildly different to be considered even close to accurate. The 500ES has been out long enough possibly for somebody to replace a bulb now and I was just asking what the average time people are having to replace the bulbs is. I find my 300ES to be VERY bright with my 1.26 gain screen to the point I have been using an ND2 filter for 2d films and regular low lamp mode without filter for 3d and I am more than happy with it.

And I watch 1-2 movies a day on average, I resent your comment about needing to get outside more, totally bloody unnecessary, you cant sit across the globe and say crap like that to people.
It was a joke my friend - I should have inserted a " ". It is interesting that Sony does not publish a rated life for the lamp - not in their owners manual or on line. But, I find most of those numbers to be questionable anyway. The fact that you need a ND filter, and watch / use your projector for more hours at a time, I'd guess that you will get 2K - 3K hours like Mike said. Maybe more if your screen is smaller in size.

I should learn that jokes don't always go over well on the web!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4742 of 4767 Old 03-24-2015, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
A very insightful post on the brightness preferences of the HT population and one that provides us which much fodder for thought. However, I do think you need to further elucidate in that you say "side" which implicitly means that there is some median reference point from which one can go brighter or dimmer.

Further do you think there is any correlation at all as to a person's preference and whether their intelligence is on the brighter or dimmer side? This would not necessarily mean that brighter folks like it brighter, they could like it dimmer. Certainly there would be some deviation from any trend found and no one should assume that their intelligence necessarily is consistent with any correlation found.
Room darkness, screen size, seating distance, and screen height to eye level also makes a difference too, of course.

Eye color probably plays a factor too. Light colored eyed people also tend to have less melanin and are often more sensitive to light because they lack the dark pigment to absorb some of the incoming light..so the light enters the eye making everything a little bit brighter and making the eye more sensitive. I'm blue eyed and have never tolerated bright images well compared to some. My living room displays are usually calibrated to around 32 ftL for dark room viewing...where as many people prefer 40s. Even 32 is pushing it for me actually.

Last time my projector was cal'd I was at 11.8 ftL (9 foot wide 2:35 screen, sitting 10 feet back in painted/carpeted black pit room). I was happy with that. Probably too dim for some on the forum.

Last edited by DavidHir; 03-24-2015 at 09:01 AM.
post #4743 of 4767 Old 03-24-2015, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Room darkness, screen size, seating distance, and screen height to eye level also makes a difference too, of course.

Eye color probably plays a factor too. Light colored eyed people also tend to have less melanin and are often more sensitive to light because they lack the dark pigment to absorb some of the incoming light..so the light enters the eye making everything a little bit brighter and making the eye more sensitive. I'm blue eyed and have never tolerated bright images well compared to some. My living room displays are usually calibrated to around 32 ftL for dark room viewing...where as many people prefer 40s. Even 32 is pushing it for me actually.

Last time my projector was cal'd I was at 11.8 ftL (9 foot wide 2:35 screen, sitting 10 feet back in painted/carpeted black pit room). I was happy with that. Probably too dim for some on the forum.
If we used the same projector, I'd send you my lamps when they got below 15 or 16 foot lamberts, and you could get a few more hours out of them, since I like a bright picture !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
post #4744 of 4767 Old 03-24-2015, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 41

Just measurred the light output ( a new meter - dont know how precise it is - but its not a expensive model ) with about 1000 hours on the projector ( 1100 ) and with a about real 0.9 gain screen I have in 1.78:1 mode ( 81" wide ) 29 fL in low and 41 fL in high and when in 2.40:1 mode ( 110" wide ) I have 18 fL in low and 26 fL in high on the screen.

I normally only use the low mode ( but not because its to brigth, but to save lamp hours and lower the noise and I dont need the extra light ).

So typical I look at 18 - 29 fL and I dont find it even close to too bright and if put in high mode, it is still not even close to "blinding" IMO

Nobody who has ever seen it at my place, has said it was too bright ! ( and my HT is completly Black )

BTW. this is meassured at 100 % ( 235 / contrast at 88 ) and it is not clipping before 108% ( 251 ).

And a other funny thing is, I have had a CRT projector in the "old days" in the same Black room, and it probely had 3-6 fL on screen, that time I didnt think it was dim - its strange and impressive, how we adjust to light.

But I could ( or want ) never go back now, to have less then minimum 15 - 20 fL on screen.

dj
Craig Peer likes this.
post #4745 of 4767 Old 03-24-2015, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post

Just measurred the light output ( a new meter - dont know how precise it is - but its not a expensive model ) with about 1000 hours on the projector ( 1100 ) and with a about real 0.9 gain screen I have in 1.78:1 mode ( 81" wide ) 29 fL in low and 41 fL in high and when in 2.40:1 mode ( 110" wide ) I have 18 fL in low and 26 fL in high on the screen.

I normally only use the low mode ( but not because its to brigth, but to save lamp hours and lower the noise and I dont need the extra light ).

So typical I look at 18 - 29 fL and I dont find it even close to too bright and if put in high mode, it is still not even close to "blinding" IMO

Nobody who has ever seen it at my place, has said it was too bright ! ( and my HT is completly Black )

BTW. this is meassured at 100 % ( 235 / contrast at 88 ) and it is not clipping before 108% ( 251 ).

And a other funny thing is, I have had a CRT projector in the "old days" in the same Black room, and it probely had 3-6 fL on screen, that time I didnt think it was dim - its strange and impressive, how we adjust to light.

But I could ( or want ) never go back now, to have less then minimum 15 - 20 fL on screen.

dj

Same here. My Optoma H79 was about as dim as your CRT. Brighter is better !

post #4746 of 4767 Old 03-24-2015, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
It was a joke my friend - I should have inserted a " ". It is interesting that Sony does not publish a rated life for the lamp - not in their owners manual or on line. But, I find most of those numbers to be questionable anyway. The fact that you need a ND filter, and watch / use your projector for more hours at a time, I'd guess that you will get 2K - 3K hours like Mike said. Maybe more if your screen is smaller in size.

I should learn that jokes don't always go over well on the web!
No probs at all Craig

This being my first projector, truth be told, I don't notice enough of a difference between low and high lamp to warrant ever feeling like I need to use high... light is a strange thing, it does not look like 20% extra brightness, maybe just a touch brighter but nothing special. I am really happy with the brightness on my setup I can even watch non essential content with low ambient light in the room.

I also think the 3d on my 300ES is phenomenal, I use low lamp and 3d brightness on high. But my only real point of comparison would be the cinema, and I think its MUCH sharper than the cinema and I can only see crosstalk when I dead set really look for it and even then its difficult for me to spot so I am really happy with it!

I also have blue eyes, interesting comment above about brightness perception, could be true.

Current:
Sony 300ES | OZTS Majestic Screen White 120" 16:9 | Denon AVR-791 | Krix KDX L/C/R + Surround | Seismix 3 MK3 Subwoofer | Sony PS4 | Xbox-360
Wish List:
Marantz AV8802 | Elektra Thatron HD | Anti-Mode 8033 II
post #4747 of 4767 Old 03-24-2015, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
No probs at all Craig

I also think the 3d on my 300ES is phenomenal, I use low lamp and 3d brightness on high. But my only real point of comparison would be the cinema, and I think its MUCH sharper than the cinema and I can only see crosstalk when I dead set really look for it and even then its difficult for me to spot so I am really happy with it!

I also have blue eyes, interesting comment above about brightness perception, could be true.
Just so you know -- I think 3D mode automatically defeats the set lamp mode - and it defaults to "high" (it also defeats the auto iris).

I certainly have noticed that the fan kicks into higher gear when 3D is on.
post #4748 of 4767 Old 03-24-2015, 02:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrill View Post
Just so you know -- I think 3D mode automatically defeats the set lamp mode - and it defaults to "high" (it also defeats the auto iris).

Yep, that is easy to notice.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #4749 of 4767 Old 03-24-2015, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Not on the VW300. I can change the lamp mode as I am playing 3D and can see the difference (including fan speed change), though smaller than I expected. The PJ remembers the last setting and uses that when 3D is played later on.

I notice that when I have 3D Brightness to high, I see crosstalk, wile in normal setting I see almost none.
post #4750 of 4767 Old 03-24-2015, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kouzev View Post
Not on the VW300. I can change the lamp mode as I am playing 3D and can see the difference (including fan speed change), though smaller than I expected. The PJ remembers the last setting and uses that when 3D is played later on.

I notice that when I have 3D Brightness to high, I see crosstalk, wile in normal setting I see almost none.
I think the "Brightness" setting under the 3D menu is different that lamp mode. But Mike or Craig would know better.
post #4751 of 4767 Old 03-24-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
I think the "Brightness" setting under the 3D menu is different that lamp mode. But Mike or Craig would know better.

Yeah on the 300/350 the 3d brightness and the lamp brightness both affect the image brightness so it seems it stays in low lamp mode on those projectors, also the fan stays the same in low lamp 3d for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current:
Sony 300ES | OZTS Majestic Screen White 120" 16:9 | Denon AVR-791 | Krix KDX L/C/R + Surround | Seismix 3 MK3 Subwoofer | Sony PS4 | Xbox-360
Wish List:
post #4752 of 4767 Old 03-24-2015, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You are right, they are unrelated. I just made the second note as 3D Brightness was mentioned just recently. I believe the 3D brightness does no affect the lamp mode but just elevates the overall brightness level.
post #4753 of 4767 Old 03-24-2015, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
No probs at all Craig

This being my first projector, truth be told, I don't notice enough of a difference between low and high lamp to warrant ever feeling like I need to use high... light is a strange thing, it does not look like 20% extra brightness, maybe just a touch brighter but nothing special. I am really happy with the brightness on my setup I can even watch non essential content with low ambient light in the room.

You could probely get even less crosstalk, if you put the projector in high lamp mode and 3D brightness in normal (low ? ) setting and keep about the same light output.

dj
post #4754 of 4767 Old 03-24-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post
You could probely get even less crosstalk, if you put the projector in high lamp mode and 3D brightness in normal (low ? ) setting and keep about the same light output.

dj
I did try that at one point, but in my opinion crosstalk is so low on my projector anyway, at least to my eyes, that I find it unnecessary.

Current:
Wish List:
post #4755 of 4767 Old 03-24-2015, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah on the 300/350 the 3d brightness and the lamp brightness both affect the image brightness so it seems it stays in low lamp mode on those projectors, also the fan stays the same in low lamp 3d for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok - understood. Seems at that the 350 and 500 differ there. Based on the fan noise, I am assuming that 3D automatically kicks the 500 into high lamp mode.

On my 135" 1.1 gain screen - I need to need all the lumens available to get a good 3D picture. 3D brightness "normal" causes me to lose a lot of pop, so I leave it on "high". Which looks great with lots of pop, decent enough blacks, and no noticeable cross-talk. Much better than the 55ES I just replaced in terms of all of the above - particularly cross-talk.

Last edited by Skrill; 03-24-2015 at 06:07 PM.
post #4756 of 4767 Old 03-24-2015, 06:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
If we used the same projector, I'd send you my lamps when they got below 15 or 16 foot lamberts, and you could get a few more hours out of them, since I like a bright picture !
I would certainly appreciate it if that were the case.

post #4757 of 4767 Old 03-25-2015, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I would certainly appreciate it if that were the case.
" Please send your make and model projector, and $ 5.95 for shipping and handling, to AVS projector lamp offer, Box 123, Grand Central Station, NY. Void where prohibited by law "

post #4758 of 4767 Old Yesterday, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 29
My 500ES just clocked over 1300hrs after 6 months.
And YES I work 72hrs a week so I do get out a bit

Screen: Stewart ST130 125" 2.35:1
Audio: Meridian Full Digital Theatre, 861v6 Processor, HD621. Velodyne DD-15+
Sources: Oppo BDP-105D, Tivo, Satellite, Xbox One

Last edited by WIKED; Yesterday at 02:16 AM.
post #4759 of 4767 Old Yesterday, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIKED View Post
Wow, have you noticed much drop in brightness if any at all?

Current:
Wish List:
post #4760 of 4767 Old Yesterday, 06:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:
Lightweight.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #4761 of 4767 Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM

No drop at all in brightness. I do run mine on low lamp as my throw is only 14ft. I'm expecting to get about 2500hrs out of it and buying a new lamp every year isn't a big deal with me anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk Pro

post #4762 of 4767 Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

That is encouraging. I measured the light output on my VW300 at 200 hours and will monitor from now on.
post #4763 of 4767 Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kouzev View Post
That is encouraging. I measured the light output on my VW300 at 200 hours and will monitor from now on.

Now I'm curious - I'd better get my light meter out !

post #4764 of 4767 Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Now I'm curious - I'd better get my light meter out !
And I had better buy a light meter!

Current:
Wish List:
post #4765 of 4767 Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM

Yes I should buy a light meter too

post #4766 of 4767 Old Today, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes I should buy a light meter too

It was a good investment. Probably last me the rest of my life. Hopefully when laser projectors become the norm, I'll only need to use it every 2000 hours !

post #4767 of 4767 Unread Today, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I read in a review of the 600ES from last year that it is not possible to completely bypass the projector's noise reduction - that some small level of temporal noise reduction is always active.

Is this true, and is it still the case? I was hoping perhaps Sony had released a firmware update which addressed this.

"Don't forget that a significant contribution made by the use of high-end cabling is emotional. Knowing that you have the best available causes the listening and viewing to be that much more enjoyable. Observable improvements make it even better."

-From a post on the audio video improvements forum
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw500es , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page