Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread - Page 166 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #4951 of 4958 Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Question about the scaler in the Denon 4520 (the receiver I use as a pre-pro). When I set the Denon to just pass the native signal -- for almost all sources my 500ES operates perfectly and outputs a beautifully upscale picture (and this is my current standard setting). The only minor quible is when I am adjusting my Velodyne SMS-1 and using it as a "source" to display the video. Then I need to have the receiver actively scale the picture to 1080p before sending the image to the projector. For some reason -- the 500ES refuses to display the image from the SMS-1 feed natively through the Denon. Minor quibble -- not really an issue.

However, if I ask the Denon to scale the video to 4K (and do the up-converting) with a source like say Blu Ray (via my PS3 or PS4) or DirecTV (or any other source for that matter), the 500ES will display no picture at all. Why is the 500ES unable to display the 4K scaled image from the Denon 4520?

I am using HDMI 1 on the 500ES if that mattes.

It doesn't really bother me as most all of my content is either 1080p (blu ray, HD-DVD, games) or 720p/1080i (DirecTV) -- and the Sony PJ handles the up-scaling without issue. But I was just wondering how well the Denon could do the upscaling -- and it seems that the Sony and Denon refuse to play nicely when the Denon handles the 4K upscaling.

Is this a known issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4952 of 4958 Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked: 792
Yep, a lot of people prefer the scaling of the Sony, even though it does introduce a slight bit of ringing. Most don't notice that ringing and perceive it as a sharper image. Really as Mark said, if you go looking for these things, you will find them, once you know what to look for and then you can't un-see them. Sometimes it is better to be blissfully unaware.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #4953 of 4958 Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrill View Post
Question about the scaler in the Denon 4520 (the receiver I use as a pre-pro). When I set the Denon to just pass the native signal -- for almost all sources my 500ES operates perfectly and outputs a beautifully upscale picture (and this is my current standard setting). The only minor quible is when I am adjusting my Velodyne SMS-1 and using it as a "source" to display the video. Then I need to have the receiver actively scale the picture to 1080p before sending the image to the projector. For some reason -- the 500ES refuses to display the image from the SMS-1 feed natively through the Denon. Minor quibble -- not really an issue.

However, if I ask the Denon to scale the video to 4K (and do the up-converting) with a source like say Blu Ray (via my PS3 or PS4) or DirecTV (or any other source for that matter), the 500ES will display no picture at all. Why is the 500ES unable to display the 4K scaled image from the Denon 4520?

It doesn't really bother me as most all of my content is either 1080p (blu ray, HD-DVD, games) or 720p/1080i (DirecTV) -- and the Sony PJ handles the up-scaling without issue. But I was just wondering how well the Denon could do the upscaling -- and it seems that the Sony and Denon refuse to play nicely when the Denon handles the 4K upscaling.

Is this a known issue?
Not sure what resolution comes out of the SMS-1 but going by memory, the Sony may not be able to accept 480i (?) or lower.

I am also interested in the answer to your second question. I have a Photo app on my PS3 that can be set to output in 4K but it refuses to do so as it says the display is not 4K (?). It is a bummer not to be able to show photos in 4k w/o PC/laptop. Glitch in the HDMI protocol I guess.
post #4954 of 4958 Old Today, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrill View Post

Is this a known issue?

Have you tried the HDMI 2 ( which is the HDCP 2.2 compatible input ) ?

dj

Last edited by d.j.; Today at 10:16 AM.
post #4955 of 4958 Old Today, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for comments regarding what to use for up scaling.

I have one more question. My Sony is in living room with white walls and floor. My screen is Screenline Tab tensioned 110 inch mat white 1.0 gain. I'm planning on getting a new screen. So, would I have better contrast (picture in whole) if I buy a grey high contrast screen (it would be bigger than the current one at 130-140 inch) or to stay with mat surface since it would be larger in size? Would there be a huge difference? From what I red on line, it should have more impact in living room than in cave, or I might be wrong?

Thanks
post #4956 of 4958 Old Today, 11:38 AM

To add, Im projecting now from 3,35m (so I have to zoom out to the max now at 2,05 based on calculator), but would be moving both screen and projector so that I would be projecting from 4,25-4,4m so zoom would be from 1,85 to 2,00, depending on the diagonal.
post #4957 of 4958 Old Today, 11:53 AM

Last but not least, I am watching movies at night without any lights, so I have light controlled room, except walls.
post #4958 of 4958 Old Today, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post
Have you tried the HDMI 2 ( which is the HDCP 2.2 compatible input ) ?

dj
I can try it -- but that shouldn't be the issue since none of the content is HDCP 2.2 protected (and the Denon 4520 is not HDCP 2.2 enabled).
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw500es , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player
Gear in this thread