Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread - Page 170 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #5071 of 5098 Old 05-11-2015, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Well if you have the latest projector firmware it is in the Expert/Advanced menu which is the same menu which you can set your projectors gamma, colour space etc. you can find this menu as a sub-menu in the main settings menu.

I have a GTX 970 with Intel 4970K at 4ghz and 16gb ram.
I run my Pc at 1080p at the moment on the Sony until I get a 4k AVR but have directly connected a number of times to check out flight sims and racing games in true 4k and performance was fine. My PC monitor is a 30 inch Dell display running at 2650x1600 and I can play almost all my games at that res at near 60fps with setting on Ultra.

Enable Input Lag Reduction and you will have significant improvement in gaming response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No wonder why I couldn't find it. I haven't upgraded firmware on this projected since I bought it (over a year ago). That's exactly I was thinking that if projector can convert just fine then I'd need card strong enought to deal with ultra settings in 1080P. I think 970 fits the bill very well for this requirement :-).

From Sony site:

Quote:
File Description UPDATE System Software Update Release Date 10/31/2014 Version 1.100 File Size 42.71 MB
DOWNLOAD
This utility updates the projector system software and provides the following benefits:
Adds support for System Control Compatibility (Crestron Connected / Control4 SDDP)
Adds support for Gamma adjustment from external commands
Provides Network Management Mode
Reduces Input Lag
Provides for IPv6 Setting
Benefits provided by the previous update and included in version 1.100:
3D Quality Improvements:
Half resolution of vertical lines in 3D
Improved crosstalk performance
Corrects a noise artifact that may rarely be seen when using the "Mastered in 4K" mode of the Reality Creation (4K upscaling) function
Maintains consistent color temperature when switching between high and low lamp modes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5072 of 5098 Old 05-11-2015, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hopefully you are remembering to switch on Input Lag Reduction in the menu, in doing so you will get the lag down to around 32ms which is more than acceptable and frankly class leading for this calibre projector..

I don't think you are correct about your assumptions of the upscaling creating any extra lag at all at 1080p vs 4k, the resolution the projector is being fed should make no difference there the lag figures should be the same.

I say this because I have had mine for two months now with my full time gaming pc in the same room permanently hooked up to it along with my PS4 and I have done a lot of gaming on it thus far.

Quote:
Just to be clear here, you really do need to sort this and get your PC displaying 60hz to your projector. If you say you are currently syncing 30hz from your PC to the Sony, then even though your benchmarks are reading higher than 30fps you are not truly seeing it on the screen.

Furthermore the lag you 'think' the Sony is creating will be magnified at 30hz. At that refresh rate the mouse will feel VERY sluggish, you need to be at 60hz to feel fluid input from the mouse.

Just because some of my games are able to run at over 100fps it doesn't mean I am actually seeing it on the screen. 60fps is the max I will ever see on my screen which is why I use VSync at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyxle View Post
I found that 1080p input + gaming mode + reality creation upscaling was pretty low lag. I would guess 40ms. When I get the rest of my installation done this week I can measure it for you. I have a GTX 980 on the way; no SLI though.

The reality creation does a good job of recreating detail from anti-antialiased 1080p input.

The HDMI inputs on the VPL-600ES are 10.2 Gbps, not 18 Gbps like the full HDMI 2.0 spec. Maybe you can get 60Hhz at 4K if you use lower-bandwidth chromo subsampling.
Quote:
Well if you have the latest projector firmware it is in the Expert/Advanced menu which is the same menu which you can set your projectors gamma, colour space etc. you can find this menu as a sub-menu in the main settings menu.

I have a GTX 970 with Intel 4970K at 4ghz and 16gb ram.
I run my Pc at 1080p at the moment on the Sony until I get a 4k AVR but have directly connected a number of times to check out flight sims and racing games in true 4k and performance was fine. My PC monitor is a 30 inch Dell display running at 2650x1600 and I can play almost all my games at that res at near 60fps with setting on Ultra.

Enable Input Lag Reduction and you will have significant improvement in gaming response.

Ok I have some interesting results to share. First off, I upgraded my projector firmware and now see the lagging reduction option in advance menu. Then I took out one of the GTX 980 card. So now I have only one card in pc. Then I reduced the resolution to 1080P. At this resolution, the card is showing 60Hz option. So selected that. Then launched Shadow Of Mordor. Once game was loaded, I checked info in projector menu (last option with i icon ) and it says 1080P/60. I believe that it shows what source is inputting?

Now if I understood you all correctly, that's all we needed to do and then let projector do the 4K conversion. I set the resolution in game option to 1080P with ultra settings. When I ran the benchmark, it shows 60-70 fps but I don't see the high definition. I had to go back to options and change resolution from 1080P to 4K to get the sharp image. At that resolution, frame rates dropped down to 35-40 but everything during benchmark processes looked amazing. It was a clear difference in b/w 1080P vs 4K resolution.

So as I understand with that experiment, you have to increase resolution in game to 4k to get very detailed sharp image. You don't have to change desktop resolution but you do have to change resolution in game. This confuses me. Becuase the projector is supposed to convert into 4K, why did it make a BIG difference when I changed game resolution from 1080P to 4K?

Javs , when you launch game, what does it say in Info menu of projector? Also, what resolution do you play game (from game option --> resolution)?

thx.
post #5073 of 5098 Old 05-11-2015, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherazNJ View Post
Ok I have some interesting results to share. First off, I upgraded my projector firmware and now see the lagging reduction option in advance menu. Then I took out one of the GTX 980 card. So now I have only one card in pc. Then I reduced the resolution to 1080P. At this resolution, the card is showing 60Hz option. So selected that. Then launched Shadow Of Mordor. Once game was loaded, I checked info in projector menu (last option with i icon ) and it says 1080P/60. I believe that it shows what source is inputting?

Now if I understood you all correctly, that's all we needed to do and then let projector do the 4K conversion. I set the resolution in game option to 1080P with ultra settings. When I ran the benchmark, it shows 60-70 fps but I don't see the high definition. I had to go back to options and change resolution from 1080P to 4K to get the sharp image. At that resolution, frame rates dropped down to 35-40 but everything during benchmark processes looked amazing. It was a clear difference in b/w 1080P vs 4K resolution.

So as I understand with that experiment, you have to increase resolution in game to 4k to get very detailed sharp image. You don't have to change desktop resolution but you do have to change resolution in game. This confuses me. Becuase the projector is supposed to convert into 4K, why did it make a BIG difference when I changed game resolution from 1080P to 4K?

Javs , when you launch game, what does it say in Info menu of projector? Also, what resolution do you play game (from game option --> resolution)?

thx.
Its clear you misunderstand the way resolutions work in PC's and your projector so hopefully I can shed some light.

First of all, if you want a sharp 1080p image from a video game you will need to be using an insane amount of Anti-Aliasing, MSAA, FXAA and even TXAA if its available to you. That will yield as sharp a 1080p picture as any particular game will allow (Some are worse than others). Your game and its settings are the reason it wasnt so sharp in this instance. Shadow or Mordor is really not a super high tier game graphically. Its using Unreal Engine 3 I think which by now is antiquated, and its a ****ty console port over to PC. GTAV is probably one of the sharpest games available right now with a lot of emphasis on 4k textures as it was specifically remastered for the PC and done to an incredibly high standard. Also Project Cars is another, that runs VERY well for me and has textures at over 8k so that will remain incredibly sharp.

When you said you let the GPU do the upscaling to 4k, you are incorrect, you were in fact RENDERING in 4k, not Upscaling. Huge difference. Upscaling refers to taking a lower resolution (1080p) and blowing it up (4k), changing the resolution of the game in your PC doesn't blow up a low resolution image, it creates a whole new high resolution image in 4k. In summary, running a game at 4k has 75% MORE information (Sharpness, Clarity, Resolution, Detail) than a 1080p game image.

Your projector while upscaling a 1080p image will never say 4k in the projectors info panel. That is there to tell you what the input source is so your assumption there is correct. Your projector has no choice but to upscale any non-4k content it is fed because the panels are 4k in pixel density (This is hardware not software). 1080p images use pixel doubling to display through your projector, every pixel is turned into 4 pixels as 4k panels contain 4x higher pixel count than 1080p image. If it did not do this, it would only be using 1 out of every 4 pixels in the projector and that would be a crappy looking picture at 25% of the regular brightness. You have no choice in the way displays do this, and all displays do it. Even televisions.

What you can do on top of this with the Sony is use Reality Creation which takes that pixel doubling then applies an algorithm to it to improve the clarity and attempt to interpolate the information that should be contained in the other 3 pixels and this will bring it to a very nice faux-4k image (This is the single most important reason why the projectors upscaling is very very good), but you wont see this unless RC is turned on in the menu. Simply switching it on/off and looking at how the menu changes will show how this works. Off is huge pixels (if you look really close you will see each pixel display is 4 of your projectors pixels) and On is very fine pixels, or 1:1.

Finally, your desktop resolution and your video game resolution are two totally different things, and while in the game, if you set a resolution there, that is the resolution the PC will be operating in, ignoring your desktop settings at that point. Once you quit out of the game your display will default back to the resolution you had set earlier.

I play games in 1080p at the moment as I told you I don't have a 4k receiver, if I did I would buy another GTX 970 and play at 4k.

Currently when I game in 1080p I will either use Anti-Aliasing to a very high level which results in a fairly sharp, alias-free picture (Never perfect though), OR, I use something called Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) if the game is not so demanding graphically (This mode looks by far the best if you have the power to use it and are forced to use 1080p due to AVR restrictions). What DSR does is it renders the game in higher resolutions (4k for eg) then displays that image in your native res (1080p). This is ironically the same way most Bluray and films are mastered, they record at 4K and scale down to 2k for cinema or Bluray release, and the results are crystal clear flawless 1080p. Same thing. They say to get REALLY good 1080p you need to shoot in 4k.

Sounds like your reciever supports 4k though, and if I were in your shoes I would be buying a second GTX 970 and running in SLI and gaming at 4k.
SherazNJ likes this.

Current:
Sony 300ES | OZTS Majestic Screen White 120" 16:9 | Denon AVR-791 | Krix KDX L/C/R + Surround | Seismix 3 MK3 Subwoofer | Sony PS4 | Xbox-360
Wish List:
Marantz AV8802 | Elektra Thatron HD | Anti-Mode 8033 II
post #5074 of 5098 Old 05-12-2015, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Its clear you misunderstand the way resolutions work in PC's and your projector so hopefully I can shed some light.

First of all, if you want a sharp 1080p image from a video game you will need to be using an insane amount of Anti-Aliasing, MSAA, FXAA and even TXAA if its available to you. That will yield as sharp a 1080p picture as any particular game will allow (Some are worse than others). Your game and its settings are the reason it wasnt so sharp in this instance. Shadow or Mordor is really not a super high tier game graphically. Its using Unreal Engine 3 I think which by now is antiquated, and its a ****ty console port over to PC. GTAV is probably one of the sharpest games available right now with a lot of emphasis on 4k textures as it was specifically remastered for the PC and done to an incredibly high standard. Also Project Cars is another, that runs VERY well for me and has textures at over 8k so that will remain incredibly sharp.

When you said you let the GPU do the upscaling to 4k, you are incorrect, you were in fact RENDERING in 4k, not Upscaling. Huge difference. Upscaling refers to taking a lower resolution (1080p) and blowing it up (4k), changing the resolution of the game in your PC doesn't blow up a low resolution image, it creates a whole new high resolution image in 4k. In summary, running a game at 4k has 75% MORE information (Sharpness, Clarity, Resolution, Detail) than a 1080p game image.

Your projector while upscaling a 1080p image will never say 4k in the projectors info panel. That is there to tell you what the input source is so your assumption there is correct. Your projector has no choice but to upscale any non-4k content it is fed because the panels are 4k in pixel density (This is hardware not software). 1080p images use pixel doubling to display through your projector, every pixel is turned into 4 pixels as 4k panels contain 4x higher pixel count than 1080p image. If it did not do this, it would only be using 1 out of every 4 pixels in the projector and that would be a crappy looking picture at 25% of the regular brightness. You have no choice in the way displays do this, and all displays do it. Even televisions.

What you can do on top of this with the Sony is use Reality Creation which takes that pixel doubling then applies an algorithm to it to improve the clarity and attempt to interpolate the information that should be contained in the other 3 pixels and this will bring it to a very nice faux-4k image (This is the single most important reason why the projectors upscaling is very very good), but you wont see this unless RC is turned on in the menu. Simply switching it on/off and looking at how the menu changes will show how this works. Off is huge pixels (if you look really close you will see each pixel display is 4 of your projectors pixels) and On is very fine pixels, or 1:1.

Finally, your desktop resolution and your video game resolution are two totally different things, and while in the game, if you set a resolution there, that is the resolution the PC will be operating in, ignoring your desktop settings at that point. Once you quit out of the game your display will default back to the resolution you had set earlier.

I play games in 1080p at the moment as I told you I don't have a 4k receiver, if I did I would buy another GTX 970 and play at 4k.

Currently when I game in 1080p I will either use Anti-Aliasing to a very high level which results in a fairly sharp, alias-free picture (Never perfect though), OR, I use something called Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) if the game is not so demanding graphically (This mode looks by far the best if you have the power to use it and are forced to use 1080p due to AVR restrictions). What DSR does is it renders the game in higher resolutions (4k for eg) then displays that image in your native res (1080p). This is ironically the same way most Bluray and films are mastered, they record at 4K and scale down to 2k for cinema or Bluray release, and the results are crystal clear flawless 1080p. Same thing. They say to get REALLY good 1080p you need to shoot in 4k.

Sounds like your reciever supports 4k though, and if I were in your shoes I would be buying a second GTX 970 and running in SLI and gaming at 4k.
Thx for the detail reply. So the bottom lime is to pump up the resoution in game (to 4096 × 1716) to get best result. For that, having 970 or 980 SLI will do good. Oh well Radian 390X is about to be released and the rumers are that it will be even better than NVidia Titan X for far less price as compared to Tatan X. Doing SLI on them will give the best reults :-). 980 SLI will work as well and enen for most demanding games on ultra high should be able to go up to 40 FPS.
post #5075 of 5098 Unread 05-18-2015, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi guys,
So in my journey to play games in 4k, I ended up buying 2 NVidia 980 for SLI configuration. At first I had issues with hz. I wasn't able to get 60hz when setting resolution on computer any higher that 1080. Then I purchased new HDMI 2.0 cable that supports 60Hz at 4K, connected my pc directly to projector and wallla. I can set my pc to 60Hz with 4K resolution. So now we know that PC configuration and connection to project is all set.
Now the issue comes while playing game. Game is set to Ultra mode with 4K resolution. When I take benchmark, I get an average of 70 fps and a Max of 90. So the cards are doing fine. But doing gameplay, here and there (almost every minute), I see a frame getting inserted. Its basically a line that starts from top and goes down across the screen which I'm interpreting as frame getting inserted. I"m not sure what's causing it????? Game is set to 60 fps max and VSync on. Does anyone have any idea?

thx.
post #5076 of 5098 Unread 05-18-2015, 03:05 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
DPI claims "close" to 2020 on the Insight 4K LED. http://www.digitalprojection.com/dp-projectors/insight-led-4k/

You may have to sell your house though to buy one. Unless you need a projector right now, I'd just sit tight and see what comes out this fall. There should be options below the VW1100 price point that are 4K with at least P3 (most likely "implemented" gamut for UHD BD) gamut........
I agree I am sitting tight might even wait two years until I see enough 4K Blu Ray movies

I was an early adopter when 1080p came but now I can't afford it anymore my first 1080p projector became obsolete after two years a Seleco Sim2 !
post #5077 of 5098 Unread 05-18-2015, 03:06 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyxle View Post
...........This projector only support 10.2Gbps (HDMI 2.0 B) which can only pass 4K 60p at 4:2:0 8 bit subsampling. Gaming at 30Hhz will never be smooth.
See what I mean
post #5078 of 5098 Unread 05-18-2015, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Hi guys,
So in my journey to play games in 4k, I ended up buying 2 NVidia 980 for SLI configuration. At first I had issues with hz. I wasn't able to get 60hz when setting resolution on computer any higher that 1080. Then I purchased new HDMI 2.0 cable that supports 60Hz at 4K, connected my pc directly to projector and wallla. I can set my pc to 60Hz with 4K resolution. So now we know that PC configuration and connection to project is all set.
Now the issue comes while playing game. Game is set to Ultra mode with 4K resolution. When I take benchmark, I get an average of 70 fps and a Max of 90. So the cards are doing fine. But doing gameplay, here and there (almost every minute), I see a frame getting inserted. Its basically a line that starts from top and goes down across the screen which I'm interpreting as frame getting inserted. I"m not sure what's causing it????? Game is set to 60 fps max and VSync on. Does anyone have any idea?

thx.
Seeing as you double posted here and the HTPC 4K thread, I'll reply here also in case others are curious:

In one of my response to you in this thread I very briefly hit on this issue. You've now effective gone OTT on GPU power there with SLI. The prob now being that you are blowing out the frame buffer with such a high frame rate as your screen 60Hz screen can't keep up with the higher frame rate causing tearing. You could try the v-sync option in whatever game you're playing, that may help. Have a read of this : http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_9.html

Glad to see you finally got to 60Hz with the HDMI 2.0 980's btw, I was going to mention that, but initially had forgotten about that requirement when you initially reported the you were unable to get that refresh.

post #5079 of 5098 Unread 05-18-2015, 06:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
I agree I am sitting tight might even wait two years until I see enough 4K Blu Ray movies

I was an early adopter when 1080p came but now I can't afford it anymore my first 1080p projector became obsolete after two years a Seleco Sim2 !
How did a 1080P projector become obsolete in 2 years?

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #5080 of 5098 Unread 05-18-2015, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
Seeing as you double posted here and the HTPC 4K thread, I'll reply here also in case others are curious:

In one of my response to you in this thread I very briefly hit on this issue. You've now effective gone OTT on GPU power there with SLI. The prob now being that you are blowing out the frame buffer with such a high frame rate as your screen 60Hz screen can't keep up with the higher frame rate causing tearing. You could try the v-sync option in whatever game you're playing, that may help. Have a read of this : http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_9.html

Glad to see you finally got to 60Hz with the HDMI 2.0 980's btw, I was going to mention that, but initially had forgotten about that requirement when you initially reported the you were unable to get that refresh.
Hmmmm I wouldn't call it out of proportion. If you look at the specs for games for to run in 4k resolution, many fall below 60Hz. For 1080P, I agree. One 970 will do the job just fine.

Now the solution: I already had VSync on in game but it didn't do anything. So started googling around. Came across best settings for 980 (or any other high end card) using NVidia settings and there is an option to set VSync to Adaptive. Setting it to Adaptive did the job. Now the game runs flawlessly :-). Still once in a while (like once in 1/2 hour) I see it happening but one has to pay attention to know it.

Step by step Guide:
1 - Right click on Desktop and select NVidia Control Panel
2 - Click on Manage 3D Settings from left panel (2nd link from top).
3 - Under Global Settings In Right Panel, scroll down all the way to see Vertical Sync.
4 - From Vertical Sync drop down options, Select Adaptive.

All Set.

I do have 60Hz but only when I select 1080P but it goes away when I am setting resultion to 4k in Resolution section. This is because of my avr. When I connect HDMI directly from PC to projector, I can see 60Hz option. So don't know what avr (Marantz SR 6007)is doing. I went through all the video options but none make 60Hz available. Any ideas???
post #5081 of 5098 Unread 05-18-2015, 09:39 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
How did a 1080P projector become obsolete in 2 years?

Sorry my Sim2 HT300 from Seleco was a 720p projector. I bought this projector after reading a glowing review and seeing it in action for an hour!

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...ideo-projector

So after two years, it had to be repaired twice and then just died! $14,995 + tax in the trash

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sim2-HT300_PLUS.htm

Looks like I was not the only one: Sim2 HT300 Plus - dead short

My JVC RS2 which was half the price is seven years old and still ticking I will never buy a Seleco. Great door stop I still have it in my garage to remind me never to buy Italian electronic again except speakers! I love Sonus Faber

Last edited by wse; 05-18-2015 at 09:54 PM.
post #5082 of 5098 Unread 05-18-2015, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hmmmm I wouldn't call it out of proportion. If you look at the specs for games for to run in 4k resolution, many fall below 60Hz. For 1080P, I agree. One 970 will do the job just fine.

Now the solution: I already had VSync on in game but it didn't do anything. So started googling around. Came across best settings for 980 (or any other high end card) using NVidia settings and there is an option to set VSync to Adaptive. Setting it to Adaptive did the job. Now the game runs flawlessly :-). Still once in a while (like once in 1/2 hour) I see it happening but one has to pay attention to know it.

Step by step Guide:
1 - Right click on Desktop and select NVidia Control Panel
2 - Click on Manage 3D Settings from left panel (2nd link from top).
3 - Under Global Settings In Right Panel, scroll down all the way to see Vertical Sync.
4 - From Vertical Sync drop down options, Select Adaptive.

All Set.

I do have 60Hz but only when I select 1080P but it goes away when I am setting resultion to 4k in Resolution section. This is because of my avr. When I connect HDMI directly from PC to projector, I can see 60Hz option. So don't know what avr (Marantz SR 6007)is doing. I went through all the video options but none make 60Hz available. Any ideas???
You've effectively done what I just did today in buying a Titan X for my dedicated 4K gaming rig. So in most of the games out there with the one major exception being GTA V (which I bought mine for), you're going be blowing the doors off the frame so to speak with maxed settings. I know here locally my Titan X cost me just under the cost of 2 x GTX 980's. However, it appealed to me for 4K gaming due to the 12GB memory, which has got to come in handy down the track for rendering massive textures in 4K. Also, the insane possibility now exists down the track of being able to go SLI. Plus, the single card will help avoid issues with games that don't play nicely with SLI configurations.

Good tip on the adaptive sync. I'm going to test my Titan X in min and see how it looks, if I by chance get tearing due to high frame rate, I'll give it a shot.

Really simple to solve your AVR issue. Just as you have bought HDMI 2.0 outputting GFX cards, you need a more recent HDMI 2.0 capable AVR like the Marantz SR-6009.

Last edited by OzHDHT; 05-18-2015 at 10:42 PM.
post #5083 of 5098 Unread Yesterday, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
You've effectively done what I just did today in buying a Titan X for my dedicated 4K gaming rig. So in most of the games out there with the one major exception being GTA V (which I bought mine for), you're going be blowing the doors off the frame so to speak with maxed settings. I know here locally my Titan X cost me just under the cost of 2 x GTX 980's. However, it appealed to me for 4K gaming due to the 12GB memory, which has got to come in handy down the track for rendering massive textures in 4K. Also, the insane possibility now exists down the track of being able to go SLI. Plus, the single card will help avoid issues with games that don't play nicely with SLI configurations.

Good tip on the adaptive sync. I'm going to test my Titan X in min and see how it looks, if I by chance get tearing due to high frame rate, I'll give it a shot.

Really simple to solve your AVR issue. Just as you have bought HDMI 2.0 outputting GFX cards, you need a more recent HDMI 2.0 capable AVR like the Marantz SR-6009.
Let's keep the conversation going where its more appropriate? Let's continue in HTPC Thread?
Anybody who is interested in reading more on this topic, please head over to HTPC thread.
Thanks

Last edited by SherazNJ; Yesterday at 06:55 AM.
post #5084 of 5098 Unread Yesterday, 08:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Sorry my Sim2 HT300 from Seleco was a 720p projector. I bought this projector after reading a glowing review and seeing it in action for an hour!

So after two years, it had to be repaired twice and then just died! $14,995 + tax in the trash

My JVC RS2 which was half the price is seven years old and still ticking I will never buy a Seleco. Great door stop I still have it in my garage to remind me never to buy Italian electronic again except speakers! I love Sonus Faber
720P, now it makes sense.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #5085 of 5098 Unread Yesterday, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:

That is unfortunate. I bought my Sim Lumis Host on 4 / 20 / 2009. Still works great after 6 years ! I'm going for 10 years !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #5086 of 5098 Unread Yesterday, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My Seymour SI EN4k screen is coming in this weekend and I will finally get to fire up my new 500ES. Any tweaks or adjustments i should be looking for as I get it going. My screen is a 100 in wide 2.35 format with masking panels for HDTV. The projector is shelf mounted approx 15 ft from the proposed screen location. I looked at a ceiling mount but after looking at it very close, i found i could do a shelf mount a little easier. I put up a plastic sheet (actually a roman shade) to locate the projector placement and do a test fire. The initial pics looked fantastic even on this set up. I have not played with any of the settings other than the default so that is why i am curious of what most have done as they got the unit up and going. I will post some pics once i get it going. My room is light controlled but the walls are brown and the ceiling is white so Mike said i might have some issue with a white screen. I do plan on painting the ceiling and even possibly putting up some wall curtains to help darken the walls if needed.

Thanks in advance for the items i should focus on as i get the system up and going
post #5087 of 5098 Unread Yesterday, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Let's keep the conversation going where its more appropriate? Let's continue in HTPC Thread?
Anybody who is interested in reading more on this topic, please head over to HTPC thread.
Thanks

Good call, its pretty pointless to have to post across two threads for the one subject. It has some relevance to owners here, but I agree its probably better served in the more specific thread.

post #5088 of 5098 Unread Yesterday, 06:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilmanmojo View Post
My Seymour SI EN4k screen is coming in this weekend and I will finally get to fire up my new 500ES. Any tweaks or adjustments i should be looking for as I get it going. My screen is a 100 in wide 2.35 format with masking panels for HDTV. The projector is shelf mounted approx 15 ft from the proposed screen location. I looked at a ceiling mount but after looking at it very close, i found i could do a shelf mount a little easier. I put up a plastic sheet (actually a roman shade) to locate the projector placement and do a test fire. The initial pics looked fantastic even on this set up. I have not played with any of the settings other than the default so that is why i am curious of what most have done as they got the unit up and going. I will post some pics once i get it going. My room is light controlled but the walls are brown and the ceiling is white so Mike said i might have some issue with a white screen. I do plan on painting the ceiling and even possibly putting up some wall curtains to help darken the walls if needed.

Thanks in advance for the items i should focus on as i get the system up and going
You mean your Seymour SE (Screen Excellence) EN4K.

post #5089 of 5098 Unread Yesterday, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yep, get typing and forget to proofread!
AV Science Sales 5 likes this.
post #5090 of 5098 Unread Yesterday, 08:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilmanmojo View Post
Yep, get typing and forget to proofread!
I often times do the same.

post #5091 of 5098 Unread Yesterday, 09:13 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
That is unfortunate. I bought my Sim Lumis Host on 4 / 20 / 2009. Still works great after 6 years ! I'm going for 10 years !
Hope for you it last their customer service is an oxymoron! The worst I have experienced about same level as cable companies
post #5092 of 5098 Unread Today, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quote:
Hope for you it last their customer service is an oxymoron! The worst I have experienced about same level as cable companies

I had to send my Lumis in for a free upgrade ( since I got a very early production model ) and their service was very good. I might also add that from what I've seen, it's less expensive to have a defective light engine replaced in a Lumis than it is in a JVC.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
post #5093 of 5098 Unread Today, 08:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I had to send my Lumis in for a free upgrade ( since I got a very early production model ) and their service was very good. I might also add that from what I've seen, it's less expensive to have a defective light engine replaced in a Lumis than it is in a JVC.
Yeah, with the cost of a light engine for a JVC, most replace the projector. Now if it was a top of the line JVC, it might make sense to replace the engine.

post #5094 of 5098 Unread Today, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Yeah, with the cost of a light engine for a JVC, most replace the projector. Now if it was a top of the line JVC, it might make sense to replace the engine.

True, but the actual cost was less for the Lumis repair ! My point being that Sim's repair charges are extremely reasonable IMO.

post #5095 of 5098 Unread Today, 10:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
True, but the actual cost was less for the Lumis repair ! My point being that Sim's repair charges are extremely reasonable IMO.
Sorry, I was not clear. I was agreeing with you.

post #5096 of 5098 Unread Today, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys

I'm new to these forums so please go easy..
This may be a really novice question / comment, but the manual isn't very clear on this..
To bring the menu up, the only way i can seem to get it to display is if i have a source powered on, if there is nothing connected i don't get anything, not even a plain screen..
Is this correct or am i missing something?
post #5097 of 5098 Unread Today, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappieman View Post
Hi guys

I'm new to these forums so please go easy..
This may be a really novice question / comment, but the manual isn't very clear on this..
To bring the menu up, the only way i can seem to get it to display is if i have a source powered on, if there is nothing connected i don't get anything, not even a plain screen..
Is this correct or am i missing something?
You do need a source connected to get into the menu. I discovered that the hard way, after locking up the HDMI on my Oppo BDP103 when I upgraded my VW600's firmware. Thought I'd bricked the projector !

post #5098 of 5098 Unread Today, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Phewww
I thought i had a duff projector..
Only had this a few months & still messing with settings etc, but i guess that's all part of the fun..
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw500es , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page