Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread - Page 172 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 389Likes

post #5131 of 6069 Old 06-03-2015, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1866 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilmanmojo View Post
I can't answer the first one since i don't have the experience but i will say the auto zoom and lens memory is good and if i remember correctly, the 300es cut those to bring cost down. But, check into BlueJeans or Belden cables. Nice writeup on Bluejeans cable about 2.0 vs 2.2. Bottom line. Their 2.0 cable easily meets the requirements for 2.2
I'd be shocked if BJC says they have an HDMI 2.0 cable, since there's no such thing. There are still (even with HDMI 2.0) only two types of (passive) HDMI cables, Category 1 (Standard Speed), and Category 2 (High Speed). If you've got a High Speed certified cable it will work with HDMI 2.0. HDCP has nothing to do with cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5132 of 6069 Old 06-03-2015, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1416 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
No. You can set the mode parameters anyway you want to.
post #5133 of 6069 Old 06-03-2015, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I'd be shocked if BJC says they have an HDMI 2.0 cable, since there's no such thing. There are still (even with HDMI 2.0) only two types of (passive) HDMI cables, Category 1 (Standard Speed), and Category 2 (High Speed). If you've got a High Speed certified cable it will work with HDMI 2.0. HDCP has nothing to do with cables.
I incorrectly wrote hdmi2.0! The Belsen series 1 is category 2 certified and BJC states it meets all hdmi protocols for 4k. BJC has a couple of write ups on the subject. Thanks for the correction and clarification.
post #5134 of 6069 Old 06-03-2015, 02:59 PM

Jare

Thanks, I will do that.
post #5135 of 6069 Old 06-03-2015, 03:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4345 Post(s)
Liked: 2632
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
Are you suggesting there are inherent and immutable differences between the various modes? If I calibrate in Reference mode, then copy all the settings to, say, TV mode, that the two modes will look different?
I am talking about the factory presets. Reference mode is different from TV mode.

AV Science Sales, 585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Parasound, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Polk, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, Screen Excellence, Carada, MicroLite & more.
post #5136 of 6069 Old 06-04-2015, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
I am talking about the factory presets. Reference mode is different from TV mode.
Ah, OK. I generally wipe the factory presets first thing. My usual MO is

1. Calibrate in Reference mode using Spears & Munsil
  2. Copy all settings to other modes I plan to use
  3. Tweak those other modes to taste, but leave Reference alone

For example, I prefer cable TV at D75, so TV mode (and only TV mode) gets that setting.
post #5137 of 6069 Old 06-04-2015, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Hi guys,
Does anyone know who to stream 4k thru Netflix? I use PS3 but it seems like it netflix app on ps3 doesn't support it. Any ideas?
Thanks
post #5138 of 6069 Old 06-04-2015, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1866 Post(s)
Liked: 814
I thought I read somewhere the new nVidia Shield "Console" streams 4K Netflix, or maybe it "will".
post #5139 of 6069 Old 06-05-2015, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Not sure if the PS3/4 support 4K Netflix streaming; but at the risk of giving you VERY basic info in case it is not known....

A TV compatible with Ultra HD streaming from Netflix.

A plan that supports streaming in Ultra HD. You can check which plan you're currently on at www.netflix.com/ChangePlan.

A steady Internet connection speed of 25 megabits per second or higher. See below for more details.

Streaming quality set to "High." More information about video quality settings can be found in our Playback Settings article.

The most common reason for folks NOT getting 4K is apparently they don't know they need to upgrade their Account to get it.

Anyway, hope that helps.

If not, I'm sure someone in the PS Forum knows!
post #5140 of 6069 Old 06-05-2015, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherazNJ View Post
Hi guys,
Does anyone know who to stream 4k thru Netflix? I use PS3 but it seems like it netflix app on ps3 doesn't support it. Any ideas?
Thanks

Neither the PS3 or the PS4 will stream 4k. There is a rumor that Sony could release an upgraded PS4 later this year that will.
post #5141 of 6069 Old 06-05-2015, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherazNJ View Post
Hi guys, Does anyone know who to stream 4k thru Netflix?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I thought I read somewhere the new nVidia Shield "Console" streams 4K Netflix, or maybe it "will".
The Sony FMP-X10 will stream Netflix in UHD as well.

I have sampled most of the UHD TV stuff on Netflix (via a FMP-X10 and VW-600) and most of it was produced with handheld cameras (motion blur). For me this negates any benefit UHD has to offer. House of Cards is old school and very watchable, S2 & 3 were done UHD.

IMO, Netflix has a VERY small library of UHD content and of that a very small part is worth watching, HoC and some nature shorts. The very best of these can come close to Blu-ray disc. IOW, the FMP-X10 sees little action. The UHD movies on SEN seem no better than the Blu-ray counterparts.
post #5142 of 6069 Old 06-05-2015, 07:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4345 Post(s)
Liked: 2632
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
The Sony FMP-X10 will stream Netflix in UHD as well.

I have sampled most of the UHD TV stuff on Netflix (via a FMP-X10 and VW-600) and most of it was produced with handheld cameras (motion blur). For me this negates any benefit UHD has to offer. House of Cards is old school and very watchable, S2 & 3 were done UHD.

IMO, Netflix has a VERY small library of UHD content and of that a very small part is worth watching, HoC and some nature shorts. The very best of these can come close to Blu-ray disc. IOW, the FMP-X10 sees little action. The UHD movies on SEN seem no better than the Blu-ray counterparts.
The nice thing about the puck (first generation Sony 4K server) was the free shorts. Some of the shorts looked really good. It showed how good 4K can look.

AV Science Sales, 585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Parasound, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Polk, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, Screen Excellence, Carada, MicroLite & more.
post #5143 of 6069 Old 06-05-2015, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
The nice thing about the puck (first generation Sony 4K server) was the free shorts. Some of the shorts looked really good. It showed how good 4K can look.
True, the FMP-X10 has several shorts preloaded and several can be downloaded for free from SEN. Unfortunately there is no easy way to see which ones are pre-loaded. Once you purchase a free (for no charge) title then it will show in “My Videos”.

I have downloaded quite a number of UHD files from YouTube, stored them on a USB hard drive then played them via the USB front port (ONLY). The procedure is covered in the FMP-X10 thread, here.
post #5144 of 6069 Old 06-05-2015, 03:44 PM

Liked: 0
How do you guys find the sharpness on this pj compared to others?
Sometimes i think it's pretty good, other times i find the image slightly soft, the focus adjustment is a pain as it's too hit & miss with the remote, is there a better way to focus?
post #5145 of 6069 Old 06-06-2015, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappieman View Post
Sometimes i think it's pretty good, other times i find the image slightly soft, the focus adjustment is a pain as it's too hit & miss with the remote, is there a better way to focus?
I find that it's movie dependent... Some movies are extremely sharp, while others are softer. Perhaps, it's just the content?

I find it also true for the black details. Some movies in dark scenes, it's a pleasure to watch.. it feels like i am really there, in the dark streets, in real life.. while some movies, it's totally unwatchable, like godzilla... (so, again, content dependent).

At times, it's so sharp i had to pause it to really enjoy the images... felt like looking at a piece of photograph.
post #5146 of 6069 Old 06-06-2015, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
The only way to focus is via the PJ's Focus control. Until you get it right, everything will look soft or blurry. Persevere.

The fast motion when focusing is too fast; it's easy to overshoot the mark. You have to get close, and close to the screen, and focus slowly, one button press at a time. When my 600 is focused, some of the vertical lines in the test pattern become lines of dots, like a string of beads. That's how you'll know you've got it focused.
post #5147 of 6069 Old 06-07-2015, 12:24 AM

Liked: 0
Thanks guys, i'll give it another try

I guess content does play a major part, we watched Hitch last night & it was pretty poor (compared to my plasma), it was quite soft in places but worse was the highlights, completely overblown in mid to bright scenes..

Glad i didn't demo this film when purchasing the Sony or i wouldn't of bothered..
post #5148 of 6069 Old 06-08-2015, 09:29 AM
Home Theater Lover!

Quoted: 2340 Post(s)
Liked: 2123
Quote:

I guess content does play a major part, we watched Hitch last night & it was pretty poor (compared to my plasma), it was quite soft in places but worse was the highlights, completely overblown in mid to bright scenes..

Glad i didn't demo this film when purchasing the Sony or i wouldn't of bothered..

The better the projector, the more ruthless it is when it comes to less than stellar source material. You'll be able to tell when a camera operator didn't quite focus properly. But when you watch a super sharp movie, it's amazing! If you are watching a movie and you think something is wrong with your projector, check the reviews at one of these sites -

http://www.blu-ray.com/

http://www.highdefdigest.com/

I thought there was something wrong with my projector. Turns out the Blu Ray just looks crappy !
mbw23air likes this.

AV Science, Inc. Direct (585) 671-2972 craig@avscience.com www.avscience.com Like us on Facebook

Home theater equipment sales and advice. Call to see the JVC RS600 in Northern California

My theater pics - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514
post #5149 of 6069 Old 06-08-2015, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Agree about focus. I used to not be able to see the difference between Vudu HDX and a physical Blu-Ray with my previous Panasonic but with reality creation on it's a clear improvement with this projector. Every flaw is revealed!

Unrelated; the projector specs say: "Acceptable Computer Signals : fH: 19 to 72 kHz, fV: 48 to 92 Hz, fV: 60 Hz"

Does that mean there's a way to get 92Hz on a non-HDMI input?
post #5150 of 6069 Old 06-08-2015, 03:01 PM
Home Theater Lover!

Quote:

Blu Ray, DVD or streaming? That also can make a difference.

AV Science, Inc. Direct (585) 671-2972 craig@avscience.com www.avscience.com Like us on Facebook

Home theater equipment sales and advice. Call to see the JVC RS600 in Northern California

post #5151 of 6069 Old 06-09-2015, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Alright -- I picked up an Oppo 103 on Craigslist (got it for a steal). It works great in 1080p or source direct mode -- but when I set it to output in 4k (just to see what it looks like mostly -- as I am quite happy with the 500ES scalar), it is a blank picture. I have the same issue when I set my Denon 4520 to output a 4K signal. I am using HDMI 1 on the PJ-- but that should be fine since none the upscaled material requires HDCP 2.2 compliance (and neither the receiver or the Oppo is compliant with that standard).

I do have a Darbee Darblet DVP 5000 in the signal chain -- could that be the problem. Will a Darbee not pass a 4K signal?

Here is the signal path

Oppo 103 --> Denon 4520 --> Darbee --> Sony 500ES

So bottom line -- I set either the Darbee or the Oppo to output a 4K signal, it will not display on my PJ. As far as cabling -- all of the HDMI are Monoprice High Speed, with the exception of the Darbee to PJ cable being a 35' Monoprice Redmere high-speed.

Anyone have any tips? It's not a big deal -- everything works fine sending a 1080p signal - I just wanted to see what the Oppo and Denon could do in terms of scaling to 4K.

Update: Nevermind -- Google was my friend ... for posterity, and from Darbee's site:

Quote:
Neither the Darblet nor the Cobalt pass 4K video. However, if you connect them prior to a 4K upscaler you will see a beneficial effect. We are working on 4K products, and 4K works very well in our lab. We believe that although 4K pictures can be stunning, they are still flat, and Darbee Visual Presence (DVP) fixes that. DVP goes Beyond Fidelity™ by adding depth cues that our optical environment does not provide, so it is a kind of computational imaging that is not just different in degree, but it is different in kind.
:

Last edited by Skrill; 06-09-2015 at 09:29 AM.
post #5152 of 6069 Old 06-09-2015, 09:45 AM
Home Theater Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrill View Post
Alright -- I picked up an Oppo 103 on Craigslist (got it for a steal). It works great in 1080p or source direct mode -- but when I set it to output in 4k (just to see what it looks like mostly -- as I am quite happy with the 500ES scalar), it is a blank picture. I have the same issue when I set my Denon 4520 to output a 4K signal. I am using HDMI 1 on the PJ-- but that should be fine since none the upscaled material requires HDCP 2.2 compliance (and neither the receiver or the Oppo is compliant with that standard).

I do have a Darbee Darblet DVP 5000 in the signal chain -- could that be the problem. Will a Darbee not pass a 4K signal?

Here is the signal path

Oppo 103 --> Denon 4520 --> Darbee --> Sony 500ES

So bottom line -- I set either the Darbee or the Oppo to output a 4K signal, it will not display on my PJ. As far as cabling -- all of the HDMI are Monoprice High Speed, with the exception of the Darbee to PJ cable being a 35' Monoprice Redmere high-speed.

Anyone have any tips? It's not a big deal -- everything works fine sending a 1080p signal - I just wanted to see what the Oppo and Denon could do in terms of scaling to 4K.

Update: Nevermind -- Google was my friend ... for posterity, and from Darbee's site:

:
No need to have anything other than the projector do the 4K upscaling anyway, as far as I'm concerned.

post #5153 of 6069 Old 06-09-2015, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3396 Post(s)
Liked: 1423
Reality Creation still works on a 4K input, or at least it still does on the 1100es, so I'm assuming it does on this model too. There's really no need for a darbee when you have RC.
post #5154 of 6069 Old 06-09-2015, 01:50 PM
Home Theater Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Reality Creation still works on a 4K input, or at least it still does on the 1100es, so I'm assuming it does on this model too. There's really no need for a darbee when you have RC.

I would agree. The Darbee was more ueful with 1080p projectors - I don't use one with my VW600.

post #5155 of 6069 Old 06-09-2015, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I would agree. The Darbee was more ueful with 1080p projectors - I don't use one with my VW600.
Respectfully - I would disagree. The Darbee enhances the picture in a way that RC does not, and -- as such -- I think the two work well together for 1080p/i and 720p content.

It appears to me that Darbee enhances luminance as a way to create a sharper contrast (or impression of sharper contrast). I use an RC setting to 10 (NR to min) plus Darbee in Hi-Def mode on 40 to 50, and find the picture appreciably sharper (looking) -- and subjectively better -- in on/off testing with both. I.e., each brings something to the table, and together they are complimentary and accretive - as the two seem to do different things. RC manipulating sharpness (I think), and Darbee luminance.

I believe RC and Darbee are very complimentary, and I would recommend the Darblet for use with the Sony 500/600 with 1080p/1080i/720p content (as long as you are not passing a 4K signal) -- moderate Darbee + light RC seems to produce excellent results without creating an over-processed look or introducing artifacts (that I can see).

For those interested in Darbee + RC -- there is some good discussion on Zombie's Mini-Shootout thread: Projector Mini-Shootout Thread

Art also has some good notes about it in his review: http://www.projectorreviews.com/darb...w-performance/
post #5156 of 6069 Old 06-09-2015, 03:22 PM
Home Theater Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrill View Post
Respectfully - I would disagree. The Darbee enhances the picture in a way that RC does not, and -- as such -- I think the two work well together for 1080p/i and 720p content.

It appears to me that Darbee enhances luminance as a way to create a sharper contrast (or impression of sharper contrast). I use an RC setting to 10 (NR to min) plus Darbee in Hi-Def mode on 40 to 50, and find the picture appreciably sharper (looking) -- and subjectively better -- in on/off testing with both. I.e., each brings something to the table, and together they are complimentary and accretive - as the two seem to do different things. RC manipulating sharpness (I think), and Darbee luminance.

I believe RC and Darbee are very complimentary, and I would recommend the Darblet for use with the Sony 500/600 with 1080p/1080i/720p content (as long as you are not passing a 4K signal) -- moderate Darbee + light RC seems to produce excellent results without creating an over-processed look or introducing artifacts (that I can see).

For those interested in Darbee + RC -- there is some good discussion on Zombie's Mini-Shootout thread: Projector Mini-Shootout Thread

Art also has some good notes about it in his review: http://www.projectorreviews.com/darb...w-performance/

I'm not saying that the Darbee won't improve the VW350 / 600's picture. I just don't think I see as much improvement as on my 1080p projector. I just prefer to use it on my Lumis.

post #5157 of 6069 Old 06-19-2015, 06:15 AM

Professional calibration vs DIY calibration vs autocalibration with projector

I have been tweaking my contrast and brightness on my 500es using DVE disk. Overall the picture is very good. I did the autocal on the projector to see if it made any difference and it actually did not adjust anything that i could tell. I have been looking at the calibration thread and actually borrowed a friends xrite display lt colorimeter and did a check on grayscale using the dve disk and the chromapure software (free version) and the grayscale was very close but i discovered the red component was faulty so i strongly suspect the readings may have been bad. I even used the color filters in the DVE to check the colors and they seem to be ok but again those are not really great tests for accuracy. So i am interested in thought or experiences of this group.
O-- Is a professional or DIY calibration needed or warranted considering the projector has an autocal function?
O-- Does the auto cal correct grayscale and colors?
O-- What is the experience of the group on professional vs DIY calibration.

I am looking to get a Calman or Chromapure bundle with xrite colorimeter but struggle forking out 250 for a monitor that would not last more than a couple of years. If the autocal is sufficient to keep an accurate presentation, i am not sure i would move forward. If a one time calibration with a professional or DIY then the auto cal function can bring it back to those specs, then i would probably move forward with one or the other. again, thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions
post #5158 of 6069 Old 06-19-2015, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Forget the autocal it is not worth it and you will not get the best picture with it. DIY vs. Pro really depends on how much time you are willing to spend learning and performing calibrations. A pro will usually use better equipment than a colorimeter, at least for profiling so their results should be more accurate. That's not to say colorimeters are bad, they are not. They will still give you a very good picture. They have trouble with some displays but typically do pretty good with most projectors.

Calibration is like anything else, for example yard work. Some people enjoy doing yard work and spend a lot of time doing it, some pay other to do it, and some having a pristine lawn is not a priority to them. If you enjoy tweaking and spending hours doing it then the DIY route is probably for you. Plus then you can tweak it as your bulb ages, get a new bulb and have as many settings as you want for different viewing conditions. Plus you can use it for other displays. If you don't enjoy this tweaking time then a pro is a good option. If you are happy with it now you could do nothing, ignorance is bliss. There is a noticeable improvement with calibration and this projector.

A good option for a lot of enthusiasts is to do both. Get the equipment and start trying to do calibrations and get familiar with the equipment, then hire a good pro that is willing to explain what he/she is doing. This is a lot less expensive than an ISF or THX class for learning calibration and it will definitely decrease your learning curve time and help avoid mistakes.
post #5159 of 6069 Old 06-19-2015, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Bulb Hours

I'm a approaching the 600hr mark and wondering how long this bulb can usually last for?

Is anyone out there still using the original bulb past 1500hrs and still happy with the overall brightness? To me at 600hr mark I don't notice and drop off in output.

See Profile
post #5160 of 6069 Old 06-19-2015, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post
I'm a approaching the 600hr mark and wondering how long this bulb can usually last for?

Is anyone out there still using the original bulb past 1500hrs and still happy with the overall brightness? To me at 600hr mark I don't notice and drop off in output.
Its been said many times that these newer breed of bulbs wear much better and more evenly than the bulbs of the past. Even my VW95 bulb with over 1200 hours on it has lost less than 10% of its original brightness. Based on standards from years ago this bulb would have lost at least 50%, possibly 75% of its brightness by now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw500es , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page