Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread - Page 173 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #5161 of 5167 Unread 06-19-2015, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilmanmojo View Post
I have been tweaking my contrast and brightness on my 500es using DVE disk. Overall the picture is very good. I did the autocal on the projector to see if it made any difference and it actually did not adjust anything that i could tell. I have been looking at the calibration thread and actually borrowed a friends xrite display lt colorimeter and did a check on grayscale using the dve disk and the chromapure software (free version) and the grayscale was very close but i discovered the red component was faulty so i strongly suspect the readings may have been bad. I even used the color filters in the DVE to check the colors and they seem to be ok but again those are not really great tests for accuracy. So i am interested in thought or experiences of this group.
O-- Is a professional or DIY calibration needed or warranted considering the projector has an autocal function?
O-- Does the auto cal correct grayscale and colors?
O-- What is the experience of the group on professional vs DIY calibration.

I am looking to get a Calman or Chromapure bundle with xrite colorimeter but struggle forking out 250 for a monitor that would not last more than a couple of years. If the autocal is sufficient to keep an accurate presentation, i am not sure i would move forward. If a one time calibration with a professional or DIY then the auto cal function can bring it back to those specs, then i would probably move forward with one or the other. again, thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions
Just my $.02. Almost all of the reviews of the 500/600ES say it has superb out of box color in Reference (and most say Film 1) modes. I paid the $4 for the subscription to Projector Reviews to get the full settings that they show for the projector (including the color correction settings). I checked them against my filters that came with my WOW and DVE disks. And called it day - and got on with watching content. Could you get better color and grayscale accuracy by going through a pro calibration or buying equipment and doing a calibration yourself -- probably. But I don't think the marginal gains are in proportion to the time, effort and expense. I am very happy with my settings (and the CMS setting suggettions on PJ Reviews).

http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony...ter-projector/

Last edited by Skrill; 06-19-2015 at 10:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5162 of 5167 Unread 06-19-2015, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrill View Post
Just my $.02. Almost all of the reviews of the 500/600ES say it has superb out of box color in Reference (and most say Film 1) modes. I paid the $4 for the subscription to Projector Reviews to get the full settings that they show for the projector (including the color correction settings). I checked them again my filters that came with my WOW and DVE disks. And called it day - and got on with watching content. Could you get better color and grayscale accuracy by going through a pro calibration or buying equipment and doing a calibration yourself -- probably. But I don't think the marginal gains are in proportion to the time, effort and expense. I am very happy with my settings (and the CMS setting suggettions on PJ Reviews).

http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony...ter-projector/

I checked mine with Chromapure and then put the calibration gear away, and watched a movie. As you said, mine was pretty darn close out of the box.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #5163 of 5167 Unread 06-22-2015, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The autocal of the 500/600er works great, but only for colors. For a perfect rgb-greyscale levels you still need some equipement...
But will you see the diffrence and is it worth the price and time? That's a question only you can answer.
post #5164 of 5167 Unread 06-23-2015, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
thanks for the replys, i will probably pick up a monitor or Spectrophotometer (as i like to tweak) to do it and my older Pioneer Kuro plasma. However, the picture quality now is pretty darn good. I have started rewatching some of my favorite movies and still am amazed out how well they look. I really missed my big screen. A 60" plasma just wasnt enough
post #5165 of 5167 Unread Today, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 1066
The 600ES responds very well to calibration and is an easy task if you know the basics. My personal PJ results here.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #5166 of 5167 Unread Today, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
buzzard
thanks for the note i have the 500 es and am looling to tweak it some. Picture is pretty good, but want to make sure its at its best. Thanks
tomg
post #5167 of 5167 Unread Today, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 1066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilmanmojo View Post
buzzard
thanks for the note i have the 500 es and am looling to tweak it some. Picture is pretty good, but want to make sure its at its best. Thanks
tomg
Most people with calibration equipment report very good performance in the 500/600 as delivered. It's been a little over a year since I hung mine and I don't recall if the "Before" measurements were out of the box or after I did a basic pre calibration setup. These PJ's are very linear and it makes calibration easy and fast. If you can find a local enthusiast with a meter and software I'd bet he or she would be more than willing to help you out just to see your PJ. If not, a moderate investment in equipment and some time spent on the Display Calibration sub forum for learning purposes will get you on your way.

If you like the Caucasian flesh tones you're seeing now, perhaps you don't need to touch a thing.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw500es , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player
Gear in this thread