Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread - Page 177 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #5281 of 5300 Unread 08-22-2015, 06:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked: 1151
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappieman View Post
Hi Guys
This may seem like a dumb question but..
Tried watching a dvd last night (instead of Blu Ray film)& the PJ just wouldn't lock on to the signal, it kept flashing, but watching a blu ray film is fine, anyway i put my BD player next to the PJ & connected with a standard 2m cable & it worked just fine, so i'm guessing my issue is the distance from my BD player to the PJ.
I then tried my sons PS4 & that also wouldn't work correctly over a 15m cable, but fine when i moved it to the PJ & used the 2m cable..
So how have you guys connected over a distance of 15m & above?
Thanks
I use our 40' Redmere cable. A 50' Redmere is also available. See if they are available where you are located.

AV Geek for life. :) Contact for advice and help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5282 of 5300 Unread 08-22-2015, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Had a quick look on Ebay UK & none here, but i guess i can import one
Trouble is most say with Redemere tech, so pretty confused as don't want to shell out on a cable that's not suitable
I also want to future proof as once our build is done it will be pretty difficult to replace once installed?
Thanks
post #5283 of 5300 Unread 08-22-2015, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
I then tried my sons PS4 & that also wouldn't work correctly over a 15m cable, but fine when i moved it to the PJ & used the 2m cable..
You may want to start by looking here. Nordost is the only ones to offer long cables (≥ 30 feet) that meets 4k-18G-DC (which the VW600 can not do). Several offer long cables that can do 4K-10.2G. It remains to be seen when (and if) 4k-18G-DC will be used. Most likely the first use will be with some UHD BD titles.

On HDMI 2, I use a MonoPrice 9171, 40 foot RedMere (High Speed, 4K-10.2G) cable with the Sony VW600 and FMP-X10 and never had any problems. On HDMI 1, I use a 35 foot MonoPrice 2742 (Standard Speed) cable and never had problems with it using Blu-ray (2D & 3D).

A reminder: If you should use a RedMere cable be sure to observer the source and sink ends. It will not work if connected backwards.
post #5284 of 5300 Unread 08-22-2015, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
It may work, but a high speed cable would be better. Of course if it doesn't work an extender could be added.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
As cheap as cables are these days, like Mark is suggesting, I would just get a high speed HDMI cable. Unless changing it out is going to be a problem.
what kind of extender do i need?

hdmi standard speed 50ft is already in place unfortunately.
post #5285 of 5300 Unread 08-22-2015, 08:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty_88 View Post
what kind of extender do i need?

hdmi standard speed 50ft is already in place unfortunately.
Just get the cable. I would not mess with extenders. You could always look for a Celerity cable. They will go up to 1,000 ft at 18 Gbps.
http://www.celeritytek.com/documents...ifications.pdf If you want more information on this cable, PM me.

post #5286 of 5300 Unread 08-22-2015, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Just get the cable. I would not mess with extenders. You could always look for a Celerity cable. They will go up to 1,000 ft at 18 Gbps.

http://www.celeritytek.com/documents...ifications.pdf If you want more information on this cable, PM me.

The cable can't be replaced anymore. It is already installed. There are 3 cat5es though that i could use. Any experience with 4k extenders ? I think that will be my only option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5287 of 5300 Unread 08-22-2015, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 94
The 4K Cat5 extenders are pretty new and just coming to market. I know Atlona makes some but I haven't used them. They only do 10.2gbs but are HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 which would work for your projector.

Last edited by Ellebob; 08-22-2015 at 09:27 PM.
post #5288 of 5300 Unread 08-23-2015, 12:54 PM

On a side note, do any current owners feel slightly hard done by the fact these won't be fully compliant with the new format later in the year?

If so, will you be sticking with it (i know that sounds a little harsh as this PJ is still a stunning piece of equipment) or will you upgrade to the newer all singing / dancing model?
post #5289 of 5300 Unread 08-24-2015, 06:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
On a side note, do any current owners feel slightly hard done by the fact these won't be fully compliant with the new format later in the year?

If so, will you be sticking with it (i know that sounds a little harsh as this PJ is still a stunning piece of equipment) or will you upgrade to the newer all singing / dancing model?
If talking about P3, I think you will have to have two units side by side to notice a difference and even then it will be subtle. HDR, it remains to be seen how much of a difference it will make with this years projectors. Not sure there is enough light output yet, to make much of a difference.
Kris Deering likes this.

post #5290 of 5300 Unread 08-24-2015, 08:31 AM
Projector Addict !

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:

I plan on watching my VW600 and my current Blu Ray collection for several years, while the rest of you beta test the new format. I'm guessing that it takes awhile to work out the bugs, just like when Blu Ray / HD DVD first came out. So yes, I'll be sticking with both my VW600, and my Lumis for the time being. A new projector won't make HDTV look any better either - only a better HDTV source will fix that.

Home theater builder and enthusiast since 2002. PM me for advice or help anytime !
Theater pics - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514
post #5291 of 5300 Unread 08-24-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I plan on watching my VW600 and my current Blu Ray collection for several years, while the rest of you beta test the new format. I'm guessing that it takes awhile to work out the bugs, just like when Blu Ray / HD DVD first came out. So yes, I'll be sticking with both my VW600, and my Lumis for the time being. A new projector won't make HDTV look any better either - only a better HDTV source will fix that.
Ok, so what made you plump for the Sony if no real interest in the new format?

Surely the cost of the Sony being 4k ready (to a certain degree) has that cost built in & what would it have been without the 4k readiness?
post #5292 of 5300 Unread 08-24-2015, 11:10 AM
Projector Addict !

Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Ok, so what made you plump for the Sony if no real interest in the new format?

Surely the cost of the Sony being 4k ready (to a certain degree) has that cost built in & what would it have been without the 4k readiness?

It's throwing a somewhat better picture than my Sim Lumis 3 chip DLP - at 1/2 the cost. Blu Ray's look outstanding. What's not to like now ? And the 4K resolution is an advantage even with Blu Ray's, if you sit close enough to the screen to see pixel structure with 1080p projectors.

Any new format needs to prove itself before I commit to it. I have 2 - 4 movie nights a week with friends. I've got plenty to watch while I wait - which at the glacial pace things move, could still be years !
OzHDHT likes this.

Home theater builder and enthusiast since 2002. PM me for advice or help anytime !
Theater pics - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514
post #5293 of 5300 Unread Yesterday, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Only a little. 4:4:4 chroma sub would be nice but nothing else matters. The only 4k source that actually works right now is my gaming PC. 4k at 4:2:0 is still a huge improvement for that. Maybe in 4 years I'll get a new one if I get another native 4k source.

I don't care about HDCP 2.2.
post #5294 of 5300 Unread Today, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:

I will be definitely very upset if the Sony will not be compatible with 4k blu ray. At this price I would expect a future hardware upgrade for the 500/600 ES models to make the unit HDR compatible. This unit has been sold as fully 4k compatible. At least I would like to be able to watch 4k blu ray in 4:2:0 a (down-)compatible mode.
post #5295 of 5300 Unread Today, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventidal View Post
I will be definitely very upset if the Sony will not be compatible with 4k blu ray. At this price I would expect a future hardware upgrade for the 500/600 ES models to make the unit HDR compatible. This unit has been sold as fully 4k compatible. At least I would like to be able to watch 4k blu ray in 4:2:0 a (down-)compatible mode.

While there may be a firmware update to improve compatibility with Ultra HD Blu-ray, I seriously doubt that a hardware upgrade will be offered to add HDR or for DCI-P3 color space. The replacement model will probably have a new light engine with the ability to up the peak brightness when HDR is being used.
mbw23air likes this.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com

Last edited by Ron Jones; Today at 06:01 AM.
post #5296 of 5300 Unread Today, 06:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 385
HDR is at least theoretically possible with a firmware update, if it's got enough processing power (though probably unlikely). But yeah, P3 is basically a no go since it would basically mean a new light engine with a filter.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #5297 of 5300 Unread Today, 06:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I very much doubt that we are going to get HDR added to our 600's. Hard for Sony to design for HDR, when HDR was not in the spec at the time of design. Design stage would have been 3+ years ago.

post #5298 of 5300 Unread Today, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
I very much doubt that we are going to get HDR added to our 600's. Hard for Sony to design for HDR, when HDR was not in the spec at the time of design. Design stage would have been 3+ years ago.
Unfortunately I doubt that too, but everybody was talking about HMDI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 for 4k, now they came up with HDR!
So many people will be left out (hardware wise ) that I am considering 4k blu ray to be a big fail! While they assumably cost 40-60$ a piece plus new hardware....
post #5299 of 5300 Unread Today, 10:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Unfortunately I doubt that too, but everybody was talking about HMDI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 for 4k, now they came up with HDR!
So many people will be left out (hardware wise ) that I am considering 4k blu ray to be a big fail! While they assumably cost 40-60$ a piece plus new hardware....
On this years models, I am not expecting a lot out of HDR. Maybe some time in the future with brighter projectors, but just not expecting a lot out of HDR this year. I am still very happy with my VW600 and when 4K BD gets here, it will be like having a new projector again.
roxiedog13 likes this.

post #5300 of 5300 Unread Today, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Has someone tried Auto Calibration fail issue ? And how can I do a hard reset to factory default in all setting ? Thx !
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw500es , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player
Gear in this thread