Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread - Page 178 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 390Likes

Old 09-08-2015, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
You find it in all of the JVC's and the upper end Sony's.
Hi Mike. Ok, appreciate that.

My initial follow up is what is the difference between saving the zoom, etc ("Lens Memory") to achieve lens-less anamorphic and using a video processor such as the Lumagen Radiance? The Radiance can be used to get to the same end, but apparently by different means than physical zooming of the projector.

HT: Panasonic BDT 460 | JVC RS600 | 106" x 45" Stewart ST 100 | Marantz AV7005 | NAD M27 | Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, Debut B6 | Focal CMS Sub
Stereo: Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
Den: Panasonic BDT 220 | 60" Panasonic VT60
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2015, 06:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2116 Post(s)
Liked: 978
The Radiance (or any video processor) can't change the size of the projected image, it can't make the image larger or smaller. All it can do is change how the image coming into it is sent out of it. Lens memory saves both lens shift and zoom, meaning it can save different image sizes in addition to positions.

The closest you can come with just a video processor, is zoom the projector out, and you can shrink the image with the video processor, but this means you lose half of the resolution, instead of 1920x1080, you see 1440x810.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2963
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post
Hi Mike. Ok, appreciate that.

My initial follow up is what is the difference between saving the zoom, etc ("Lens Memory") to achieve lens-less anamorphic and using a video processor such as the Lumagen Radiance? The Radiance can be used to get to the same end, but apparently by different means than physical zooming of the projector.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
The Radiance (or any video processor) can't change the size of the projected image, it can't make the image larger or smaller. All it can do is change how the image coming into it is sent out of it. Lens memory saves both lens shift and zoom, meaning it can save different image sizes in addition to positions.

The closest you can come with just a video processor, is zoom the projector out, and you can shrink the image with the video processor, but this means you lose half of the resolution, instead of 1920x1080, you see 1440x810.
Correct, so like with the zoom method, you do not use the pixels or light output from the black bars when projecting 2.35. On top of that you lose more resolution when watching 16:9.

Call for CEDIA SPECIALS
AV Science Sales, 585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Parasound, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, SE, Carada, MicroLite.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Correct, so like with the zoom method, you do not use the pixels or light output from the black bars when projecting 2.35. On top of that you lose more resolution when watching 16:9.
Though with a really bright 4K projector, maybe neither are such a big deal?
Old 09-10-2015, 05:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Though with a really bright 4K projector, maybe neither are such a big deal?
Screen size and viewing distance would still need to be taken into account. I view from one screen width.

Call for CEDIA SPECIALS
mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Parasound, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, SE, Carada, MicroLite.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

True, though if you're OK zooming, then pixel density probably isn't an issue. And since most sources are still 1080p, you don't lose anything for 16:9 with a 4K projector.

That said I think I'd still prefer an ISCO in front of any 4K projector I get. I just haven't been that thrilled with the Lens memory on my JVC. It works fine, it's just annoying, and it's not as bright as using a lens.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
True, though if you're OK zooming, then pixel density probably isn't an issue. And since most sources are still 1080p, you don't lose anything for 16:9 with a 4K projector.

That said I think I'd still prefer an ISCO in front of any 4K projector I get. I just haven't been that thrilled with the Lens memory on my JVC. It works fine, it's just annoying, and it's not as bright as using a lens.
I use an A-lens myself. Prismasonic HD6000 on a powered slide mounted to a custom plate that is attached to an RPMA020.

Call for CEDIA SPECIALS
mike@avscience.com
Old 09-10-2015, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Seems like I'm jumping in the conversation at right time. Currently I'm using a 145" Acoustically Transparent screen. I use Zoom feature to stretch the screen to fit 2:35 screen. Since my screen is AT, it has a screen gain of 1 (or even .9).

With that out of the way, can someone please tell me the difference they see with/without lens on? How much of a brightness difference do you see?

Also, I'm considering to go with a curve screen. I don't care about how cool i'd look. My only reason to go for a curve screen is to get more immersive experience. Does anyone here have a large curve screen? Can you please share your experience? Or if anyone thinks that its a bad idea, please do share.
Thx.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherazNJ View Post
Seems like I'm jumping in the conversation at right time. Currently I'm using a 145" Acoustically Transparent screen. I use Zoom feature to stretch the screen to fit 2:35 screen. Since my screen is AT, it has a screen gain of 1 (or even .9).

With that out of the way, can someone please tell me the difference they see with/without lens on? How much of a brightness difference do you see?

Also, I'm considering to go with a curve screen. I don't care about how cool i'd look. My only reason to go for a curve screen is to get more immersive experience. Does anyone here have a large curve screen? Can you please share your experience? Or if anyone thinks that its a bad idea, please do share.
Thx.
I've got a custom size 128" 2:35 in Screen Innovations AT material that's curved. Compared to my other two 2:35 screens, the curve is a bit annoying to use with the 500ES as you have to always over zoom the image slightly to compensate for the curvature of the screen and what that does to the the bottom corners of the image. It's not drastic but a little annoying:

Old 09-11-2015, 04:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It depends on the projector and the setup. With my JVC RS4910, at the throw I have it, the difference is about 10% more light/brightness with the lens.

Quote:
Thx.
Don't get a curved screen unless you get a lens, the purpose of the curve is to cancel out the pincushion created by the lens.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thx.
If you want max brightness out of a projector, then A-lens, short throw and curved screen will get you there. I have a short throw, curved screen A-lens setup.

Call for CEDIA SPECIALS
mike@avscience.com
Old 09-14-2015, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Yes, i also use my 500ES with a curved screen and A-Lense. No problems with the picture fitting thanks to blanking. More light, higher resolution!
Old 09-14-2015, 08:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1416 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventidal View Post
Yes, i also use my 500ES with a curved screen and A-Lense. No problems with the picture fitting thanks to blanking. More light, higher resolution!
So you overscan to throw the pincushion distortion caused by the A lens off screen, top and bottom, and then blank which pretty much costs you the light and extra pixels you gained in the first place.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
So you overscan to throw the pincushion distortion caused by the A lens off screen, top and bottom, and then blank which pretty much costs you the light and extra pixels you gained in the first place.
If his setup is like mine, he has very little pincushion, due to the curved screen, so only has to overscan around 1/4" to 3/8".

Call for CEDIA SPECIALS
mike@avscience.com
Old 09-14-2015, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
If his setup is like mine, he has very little pincushion, due to the curved screen, so only has to overscan around 1/4" to 3/8".
The pincushion with a curved screen is indeed very very low and the blanking is a few centimeters only ( I think I am using 5 in the settings) due to a perfect throw ratio. The resolution gain is incredible and the 21:9 cinemascope stands above all for me!
Old 09-14-2015, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That's good to hear. What is your throw ratio and what is the width of the non stretched image, i.e., for the 1.78 size screen that would lie within the anamorphic screen?
Old 09-14-2015, 11:21 AM
Home Theater Lover!

Quoted: 2556 Post(s)
Liked: 2336
The VW600ES has reached the end of life. Only 30 left. Just FYI !

AV Science, Inc. Direct (585) 671-2972 craig@avscience.com www.avscience.com Like us on Facebook
Epson 5040 / 6040 now available The new JVC RS4500 available for pre order !
JVC RS400 500 600 Cedia Special pricing - call !
Old 09-14-2015, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Does it mean that Sony will start shipping its replacement (american counterpart of VW520ES) sooner rather than later? VW520ES is expected to be available in October. As I understand there is no difference between 5xx and 6xx models so US availability date should be similar.
Michael9009 likes this.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:18 PM
Home Theater Lover!

Quoted: 2556 Post(s)
Liked: 2336
Quote:
Originally Posted by liloatavs View Post
Does it mean that Sony will start shipping its replacement (american counterpart of VW520ES) sooner rather than later? VW520ES is expected to be available in October. As I understand there is no difference between 5xx and 6xx models so US availability date should be similar.

Not until after Cedia October 14th through the 18th. Not 100% sure of a ship date - yet.

AV Science, Inc. Direct (585) 671-2972 craig@avscience.com www.avscience.com Like us on Facebook
Epson 5040 / 6040 now available The new JVC RS4500 available for pre order !
JVC RS400 500 600 Cedia Special pricing - call !
Old 09-15-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventidal View Post
Have you used 500ES on flat screen? If yes, do you find curve screen more immersive? Also, How big is your curve screen and how does it look if viewed from side seat (one beside the center seat). In my case, its my wife and I watching most of the time and therefore all that matters is the center seat and the one beside it. Currently I have 145" flat AT screen and no lens. I use zoom + memory feature to watch 2.35 and 1.69. I sit around 11 feet from screen.

How much do the A lens go for with the motor? Trying to figure out how much would it cost me if I wanted to go for Curve screen with lens. My main reason to go for curve screen is to get more immersive experience as compared to flat screen.

Thx a bunch.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
What is it getting replaced by?
Old 09-16-2015, 03:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Not until after Cedia October 14th through the 18th. Not 100% sure of a ship date - yet.

Sony has released and shipped new models shortly before Cedia before. I think having a small amount of the old model in stock or having none would have no effect on the release date. I expect Sony will let dealers order the new model when US pricing is set and obviously could set such pricing whenever it wants and will ship as soon as stock becomes available. I think Sony will start accepting orders about 2 weeks before Cedia and start shipping just before Cedia. Just hunches based on race horse past performances.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
What is it getting replaced by?
The VPL-VW620ES. Read the IFA thread for the details on it. The model discussed in that thread is the VPL-VW520ES (the European etc model number) for what will be the VPL-VW620ES on this side of the pond.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Have you used 500ES on flat screen? If yes, do you find curve screen more immersive? Also, How big is your curve screen and how does it look if viewed from side seat (one beside the center seat). In my case, its my wife and I watching most of the time and therefore all that matters is the center seat and the one beside it. Currently I have 145" flat AT screen and no lens. I use zoom + memory feature to watch 2.35 and 1.69. I sit around 11 feet from screen.

How much do the A lens go for with the motor? Trying to figure out how much would it cost me if I wanted to go for Curve screen with lens. My main reason to go for curve screen is to get more immersive experience as compared to flat screen.

Thx a bunch.

The main reason for using a curved screen with an A lens is to reduce the amount of pin cushion distortion that an A lens causes. Also the curve may increase the sharpness of the image because the A lens pretty much destroys the depth of field of the primary lens. Proper set up including set up at long throw is required to maximize performance of the screen towards these benefits and for maximizing the optical performance of the A lens.. Further, usually only two radiuses are available for ordering a curved screen. Unless you sit very close to the screen and set up for the shortest radius curve you can order, increased immersion will be minor. Sitting one seat off center will be improved with a curved screen. BUT, the cost of a cheap A lens, a motorized A lens sled, and a curved screen will easily be in excess of $5K and likely will not give you what you really are looking for. For that you need a commercial movie theater with a large tight radius curved screen which are rare and you need to sit within the curve. Washington, DC has such a theater.
OzHDHT likes this.

Last edited by mark haflich; 09-16-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
The main reason for using a curved screen with an A lens is to reduce the amount of pin cushion distortion that an A lens causes. Also the curve may increase the sharpness of the image because the A lens pretty much destroys the depth of field of the primary lens. Proper set up including set up at long throw is required to maximize performance of the screen towards these benefits and for maximizing the optical performance of the A lens.. Further, usually only two radiuses are available for ordering a curved screen. Unless you sit very close to the screen and set up for the shortest radius curve you can order, increased immersion will be minor. Sitting one set off center will be improved with a curved screen. BUT, the cost of a cheap A lens, a motorized A lens sled, and a curved screen will easily be in excess of $5K and likely will not give you what you really are looking for. For that you need a commercial movie theater with a large tight radius curved screen which are rare and you need to sit within the curve. Washington, DC has such a theater.
Thx Mark. I think I'll just stick with Flat screen.

One more question: I currently have around 950 hours on the bulb now. I have always used it on low. When is it a good time to replace the bulb. I assume after 1000 hours, its better to run it on high?
OzHDHT likes this.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thx Mark. I think I'll just stick with Flat screen.

One more question: I currently have around 950 hours on the bulb now. I have always used it on low. When is it a good time to replace the bulb. I assume after 1000 hours, its better to run it on high?

Without a light meter reading one can not really know. If you think it is too dim for esasy non eye straining viewing, run it at high. You can tryit both ways a decide if you need to run it a high now. Probably you don't for a few hundred more hours but I am just guessing.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
This is becoming a more FAQ as our units age. My bulb has over 1300 hours and still looks great on low. I did run the auto-calibration sequence at around 1000 hours and it bumped up the white level just a bit; a very minor change. That's what I'd recommend instead of switching to high. I also have a spare bulb stashed away just in case.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 37
FYI my 500ES runs in low lamp and its at 2800hrs so far and still bright.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIKED View Post
FYI my 500ES runs in low lamp and its at 2800hrs so far and still bright.
Wow...that's good to know. So far I have clocked 1899hrs.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab S2
Old 09-18-2015, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Broadly speaking, what is an ideal diagonal (scope) for the 600ES and at what size is quality going to begin diminish too much for the typical videophile (assuming 1080P blu-ray content)? Also, are there certain screens which have been found to work well with this projector?

HT: Panasonic BDT 460 | JVC RS600 | 106" x 45" Stewart ST 100 | Marantz AV7005 | NAD M27 | Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, Debut B6 | Focal CMS Sub
Stereo: Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
Den: Panasonic BDT 220 | 60" Panasonic VT60
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw500es , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player