Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread - Page 190 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 372Likes

post #5671 of 5985 Old 01-12-2016, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm4llz View Post
Sorry to bring up an old question. I just got my 600ES today and it's replacing a JCV x500r. I was using a Peerless ceiling plate, extension bar, and PRN-UNV mount. Since this has 4 arms can I still use it for the Sony? I can remove an arm but want to make sure it will hold the weight afterwards.

If not, should I get the chief mount you mention and will it work with the other peerless products or will I need to replace everything?

thanks!
I have a 500ES and use the same PRN-UNV flush mounted to my ceiling. I have had no issues with the mount holding the weight with three arms (I removed the fourth since there are only three mounting holes). The projector has been mounted for more than 8 months now.
StanGeek likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5672 of 5985 Old 01-12-2016, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrill View Post
I have a 500ES and use the same PRN-UNV flush mounted to my ceiling. I have had no issues with the mount holding the weight with three arms (I removed the fourth since there are only three mounting holes). The projector has been mounted for more than 8 months now.
awesome! thank you. I'll have to go get new screws tomorrow but that's easy. Looks like I'll have to get creative with adjusting the arms to make everything fit.
post #5673 of 5985 Old 01-13-2016, 08:06 PM

I mounted my VPL-VW600ES tonight after getting screens for the mount and turned it on to receive the screen below. It's almost as if the blue is misaligned. I tried replacing the bulb with the spare bulb the seller included but receive the same screen. Auto calibration pretest fails. Am I doing something wrong or has anybody else seen this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lens.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	1183370   Click image for larger version

Name:	blue.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1183378   Click image for larger version

Name:	blue lens.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1183386  
post #5674 of 5985 Old 01-13-2016, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
I mounted my VPL-VW600ES tonight after getting screens for the mount and turned it on to receive the screen below. It's almost as if the blue is misaligned. I tried replacing the bulb with the spare bulb the seller included but receive the same screen. Auto calibration pretest fails. Am I doing something wrong or has anybody else seen this?
I don't have a Sony unit but that definitely looks broken (shipping damage?) with the blue light bleeding out above the lens/image.
post #5675 of 5985 Old 01-14-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
I don't have a Sony unit but that definitely looks broken (shipping damage?) with the blue light bleeding out above the lens/image.
Yea..it's been a long day trying to figure things out. I received the Projector Tuesday, connected it, and it was beautiful. Last night I stopped at Home Depot to get screws so I could ceiling mount it. Flipped it over, mounted it, and got the blue light. Maybe something got loose during shipping or it was just bad timing and something broke.

In either case, the seller from the Classifieds section has been great. I'm working with Sony now to try and get approval for warranty work. I'm selling my current JVC but still have it so I'm not in a hurry other than wanting to see some 4k.
post #5676 of 5985 Old 01-14-2016, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Simulated 3D success!

Simulated 3D is a sort-of-fun, well-meaning-but-FAIL, gimmick. I bet most of us tried it once or twice on various program material, saw how artificial it looks, and never tried it again.

Last week I saw it actually work. I rented "The Walk" from Netflix. Netflix only sends 2D discs. Toward the end, the Twin Towers wire-walk sequence looked almost 3-dimensional. So I decided to pull out the glasses and try the 600ES's simulated 3D.

It worked. It actually looked like real 3D. There must be enough large/small fast-moving/slow-moving cues that the PJ was able to compute a plausible foreground/background 3D image.

I didn't watch the whole movie in fake 3D, just the wire-walk scenes. But I was impressed by those scenes. First time I've ever seen the PJ's fake 3D look real. Fun!

As an aside, I had previously seen the same story in the movie "Man on Wire", and I thought "The Walk" was more entertaining.
post #5677 of 5985 Old 01-15-2016, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
Simulated 3D is a sort-of-fun, well-meaning-but-FAIL, gimmick. I bet most of us tried it once or twice on various program material, saw how artificial it looks, and never tried it again.

Last week I saw it actually work. I rented "The Walk" from Netflix. Netflix only sends 2D discs. Toward the end, the Twin Towers wire-walk sequence looked almost 3-dimensional. So I decided to pull out the glasses and try the 600ES's simulated 3D.

It worked. It actually looked like real 3D. There must be enough large/small fast-moving/slow-moving cues that the PJ was able to compute a plausible foreground/background 3D image.

I didn't watch the whole movie in fake 3D, just the wire-walk scenes. But I was impressed by those scenes. First time I've ever seen the PJ's fake 3D look real. Fun!

As an aside, I had previously seen the same story in the movie "Man on Wire", and I thought "The Walk" was more entertaining.
How did you choose this simulated option?
post #5678 of 5985 Old 01-15-2016, 09:36 AM
Home Theater Lover!

Quoted: 1973 Post(s)
Liked: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post

We watched " The Walk " on Wed. - everybody loved it ( had a room full of guests ). I'll have to try the simulated 3D with the Blu Ray on my VW600.

AV Science, Inc. Direct (585) 671-2972 craig@avscience.com www.avscience.com Like us on Facebook

Home theater equipment sales and advice. Call to see the JVC RS600 in Northern California

My theater pics - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514
post #5679 of 5985 Old 01-15-2016, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
How did you choose this simulated option?
There's an option under the 3D menu. I don't remember the exact label, but it's something like "2D -> 3D".
post #5680 of 5985 Old 01-15-2016, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi guys,

does any of you have Nvidia shield TV and use it with Sony? I am thinking on getting one, but have been reading that it has bad pq.
Any thoughts on this?
Thanks
post #5681 of 5985 Old 01-15-2016, 01:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jare View Post
Hi guys,

does any of you have Nvidia shield TV and use it with Sony? I am thinking on getting one, but have been reading that it has bad pq.
Any thoughts on this?
Thanks
I have been using the Nvidia Shield TV with my VPL-VW600ES projector for a while and it looks fine to me. I probably don't have the technical eye that others may have, but it looks fine to me.

Scott Shearer
post #5682 of 5985 Old 01-15-2016, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So 4k Netflix and other 4k stuff looks great then, I presume? And it works, because this is the primary reason for purchasing one?
Thanks
post #5683 of 5985 Old 01-16-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jare View Post
So 4k Netflix and other 4k stuff looks great then, I presume? And it works, because this is the primary reason for purchasing one?
Thanks
I only had my sony up and running the one day but I had it connected to a Marantz AV7702mkii and was using the new Tivo Bolt. Netflix 4k looked amazing as did being able to connect at full resolution to my digital library via Plex.
post #5684 of 5985 Old 01-16-2016, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
600es and 3D glasses

I am using my 3D glasses for the first time. Glasses register fine and fuzziness of picture goes away, but screen is still split into 2 images. Any thoughts? Thanks
post #5685 of 5985 Old 01-17-2016, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Liked: 1786
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaAllen View Post
I am using my 3D glasses for the first time. Glasses register fine and fuzziness of picture goes away, but screen is still split into 2 images. Any thoughts? Thanks
You have to select over/under or side by side, depending on what you're seeing. I'm 1600 miles away from my PJ so cannot tell you exactly where to look.

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator
eeColor Processors

post #5686 of 5985 Old 01-17-2016, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
You have to select over/under or side by side, depending on what you're seeing. I'm 1600 miles away from my PJ so cannot tell you exactly where to look.
Thanks. I found that choice when you press the 3D arrow to the right instead of pressing the enter button like I had been. Thanks for your response.
post #5687 of 5985 Old 01-18-2016, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshearer View Post
I have been using the Nvidia Shield TV with my VPL-VW600ES projector for a while and it looks fine to me. I probably don't have the technical eye that others may have, but it looks fine to me.
I have been using for about 1 month. Great interface with KODI associated apps. I have used Utube on some of the 4k streams and they look fantastic. you need to make sure you have a 4k reciever with passthrough or you will need to go the switch/splitter route which i am finding is pretty tough to meet the requirements for hdcp(my reciever is an old Marantz sr9600) which i hate giving up). However, handles 4k 60fps flawlessly if your router is up to it. my projector is about 30 feet away from my hardware location so i thought i would have an issue, but 4k 60 handles great. Netflix, PHoenix, 1channel, etc all are working great on the system.
post #5688 of 5985 Old 01-18-2016, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 16
NVi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshearer View Post
I have been using for about 1 month. Great interface with KODI associated apps. I have used Utube on some of the 4k streams and they look fantastic. you need to make sure you have a 4k reciever with passthrough or you will need to go the switch/splitter route which i am finding is pretty tough to meet the requirements for hdcp(my reciever is an old Marantz sr9600) which i hate giving up). However, handles 4k 60fps flawlessly if your router is up to it. my projector is about 30 feet away from my hardware location so i thought i would have an issue, but 4k 60 handles great. Netflix, PHoenix, 1channel, etc all are working great on the system.
post #5689 of 5985 Old 01-22-2016, 07:09 PM

Update on this. Sony repair contacted me today. They paid for fedex 2day delivery and received it on Tuesday. It was repaired today and I should have it back on Wednesday. Pretty good turnaround imo. They replaced the light engine.

Quote:
post #5690 of 5985 Old 01-23-2016, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked: 880
I did a search and couldn't find the answer so sorry if this has been discussed. Are the Sony projector mounts universal? In other words, I have a Sony HW 50 and considering moving to a Sony VW 500. Would I need a new mount or can I just use the existing Chief mount I have? Thanks in advance.
post #5691 of 5985 Old 01-23-2016, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Update on this. Sony repair contacted me today. They paid for fedex 2day delivery and received it on Tuesday. It was repaired today and I should have it back on Wednesday. Pretty good turnaround imo. They replaced the light engine.
I had a similar experience when my new box (500ES a while ago) had convergence issues, not fixable. The picked it up and send a new one, took care of everything.
Impressive
post #5692 of 5985 Old 01-24-2016, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
I did a search and couldn't find the answer so sorry if this has been discussed. Are the Sony projector mounts universal? In other words, I have a Sony HW 50 and considering moving to a Sony VW 500. Would I need a new mount or can I just use the existing Chief mount I have? Thanks in advance.

Chief mounts are great. I use them in 2 different installs. The mounting locations are the same across the Sony platform, I've never had an issue with mounting in all the years I've had Sonys (like 15 years now). I'm just about to swap in the Sony version mounting plate from the Chief universal that's currently fitted to my 1000 so that I can experiment with mounting the JVC X9000 I've got at the moment.

Last edited by OzHDHT; 02-03-2016 at 03:09 PM.
post #5693 of 5985 Old 01-28-2016, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Yes, the Sony projector mounts - the three-screw pattern - are identical on all Sony projectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
post #5694 of 5985 Old 02-04-2016, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Regarding the new 4k Blu Ray players, does anyone know what benefits our projectors will be able to take advantage of besides the higher resolution?
Thanks
Paul
post #5695 of 5985 Old 02-05-2016, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBonn View Post
Regarding the new 4k Blu Ray players, does anyone know what benefits our projectors will be able to take advantage of besides the higher resolution?
Thanks
Paul
^THIS. I have the 350ES and I have the Samsung on the way. DYING to understand what I can and can't do with my PJ and this player? I am thinking 10 bit at 24 with 4:2:2? Idk. Just guessing. Anyone with knowledge please chime in!

Play nice. It's just an online forum :)
post #5696 of 5985 Old 02-06-2016, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by wired1 View Post
^THIS. I have the 350ES and I have the Samsung on the way. DYING to understand what I can and can't do with my PJ and this player? I am thinking 10 bit at 24 with 4:2:2? Idk. Just guessing. Anyone with knowledge please chime in!
I have the 600ES and I am guessing 8-bit, 4:2:0 will be max (no WCG, no HDR). While the 600ES processes 10-bit, I do not think it can natively accept it. Basically resolution is going to be the big plus and potentially improved color.
post #5697 of 5985 Old 02-08-2016, 11:15 AM
Home Theater Lover!

Quoted: 1973 Post(s)
Liked: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
I have the 600ES and I am guessing 8-bit, 4:2:0 will be max (no WCG, no HDR). While the 600ES processes 10-bit, I do not think it can natively accept it. Basically resolution is going to be the big plus and potentially improved color.
As soon as my Samsung arrives ( and more importantly, some 4K UHD Blu Rays ), I'll be more than a little excited to see for myself how good it looks vs standard Blu Rays. Could be a month before the movies arrive though.

AV Science, Inc. Direct (585) 671-2972 craig@avscience.com www.avscience.com Like us on Facebook

Home theater equipment sales and advice. Call to see the JVC RS600 in Northern California

My theater pics - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514
post #5698 of 5985 Old 02-11-2016, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Ok, with my Roku4 do I go with 4k 8 bit or 4k 10 bit output?
post #5699 of 5985 Old 02-13-2016, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unhappy

took two years to the projector and the vertical alignment of the panels have the limit of 30 .
continuing of alignment over time I will be impossible to correct the alignment.
when I put in levels of factory it is totally misaligned , and that did not outbox
It is normal?
post #5700 of 5985 Old 02-13-2016, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by minauma View Post
took two years to the projector and the vertical alignment of the panels have the limit of 30 .
continuing of alignment over time I will be impossible to correct the alignment.
when I put in levels of factory it is totally misaligned , and that did not outbox
It is normal?
I'm having the same issue; blue convergence has gotten worse over the year I have owned the projector. Started at V-20, now have to be at H10 V-30, and V-40 would probably be better. Red convergence is still the same as when I got it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw500es , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player
Gear in this thread

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page