Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread - Page 199 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 389Likes

post #5941 of 6069 Old 03-25-2016, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
You could get Chromapure and the Eye 1 - http://www.curtpalme.com/ChromaPure_EyeOneDisplay3.shtm I've been calibrating my VW600 using it. Fun, it works, not too expensive. There is even a Chromapure guide for Dummies to help walk you through it ( helped me I must say ) - http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35322

Don't need the Lumagen ?

Dedicated Theater: JVC X950R/RS600 , Panamorph DC1 Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 132" diagonal curved 36FT radius, Denon X7200WA , 7.2.4 Atmos, Paradigm Monitor 11 fronts, Monitor 3 Center, Monitor V7 Rear, SA-ADP In-wall Surround, Niles DS-7 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (4000 watts peak) Klipsch RW-12 + SVS PC13-Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5942 of 6069 Old 03-25-2016, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
Don't need the Lumagen ?
Double Ditto

You Don't need the Lumagen
post #5943 of 6069 Old 03-25-2016, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
Double Ditto

The way it was described to me by Kal at CurtPalme is without the Lumagen you get 6 points of color and 20 levels of grey scale calibrated, with the lumagen 5000 points of color.
Do you guys use a Lumagen for any other reasons. Those that have them seem to extol the wonderful process it does with cleaning up video. Would have to be really bloody good at $5500, more than some new 4K projectors cost.
The Lumagen can stretch 4K for use with the anamorphic lens , my Sony 600ES cannot . Now, since many say they cannot really see much of a difference between true 4K and upscaled 2K ( which me projector does stretch) , then there goes that advantage.

Dedicated Theater: JVC X950R/RS600 , Panamorph DC1 Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 132" diagonal curved 36FT radius, Denon X7200WA , 7.2.4 Atmos, Paradigm Monitor 11 fronts, Monitor 3 Center, Monitor V7 Rear, SA-ADP In-wall Surround, Niles DS-7 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (4000 watts peak) Klipsch RW-12 + SVS PC13-Ultra
post #5944 of 6069 Old 03-25-2016, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
You could get Chromapure and the Eye 1 - http://www.curtpalme.com/ChromaPure_EyeOneDisplay3.shtm I've been calibrating my VW600 using it. Fun, it works, not too expensive. There is even a Chromapure guide for Dummies to help walk you through it ( helped me I must say ) - http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35322
That looks like a decent and reasonably priced meter. At that price, I may jump in. Never having used one before, I have a true newby question: how does one position the meter so it doesn't cast a shadow on the projection screen? Place it below the light path and point it upward at an angle?
post #5945 of 6069 Old 03-25-2016, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
I'm thinking about buying a lumagen pro, at $5500 it makes one kind of wonder. My 600 has never been calibrated by a professional, just me and the Disney wow disc thus far. No calibrators near by, so I'm on my own. The VW600 was and still is amazing, contrast loss or not. Calibrating is not going to help any loss in contrast I know but is it worth it for that last 10%? Picture contrast, colors and detail are still great to my eye, but not through any kind of A/B comparison, I don't have that luxury.

So, should I hang on to my money and just upgrade the projector to something newer in the fall or is the Lumagen worth the bucks ? If you are here on this forum lurking around, you're probably one of the enthusiasts that is here to maximize all variables for the ultimate picture, I expect many of you have some great insight
to help sway my decision .

Thanks
If u ask me, I'll say it is a worthwhile investment to get a dedicated hardware based calibration to dial everything right. I have been using ChromaPure and iDisplay 3 Pro colorimeter with DVDO iScan Duo Video processor to calibrate my display on VW500ES and the first thing you will see is the higher accuracy in color reproduction, grayscale and most importantly, the gamma which gets u very good blacks levels out of the SXRD projector.

On how much to spend on a video processor that work with the Chromapure software, u will need to ask yourself whether u intend to upgrade to 4k display in the near future... If yes, the. Lumagen will be a prudent choice but if u are going to stick with VW600ES for a period of time u until the 4k projector with laser source and HDR etc reached it maturity phase and cost coming down, get the lower end model from Lumagen (no 4k support) to help with your present display. OOTB VW500ES (in my case) lacks the punch due to less than ideal gamma, but after calibration, it is easily one of the best projector capable of producing a near 4k Up-scaling from 1080p sources.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited by desray2k; 03-25-2016 at 06:06 PM.
post #5946 of 6069 Old 03-25-2016, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desray2k View Post
If u ask me, I'll say it is a worthwhile investment to get a dedicated hardware based calibration to dial everything right. I have been using ChromaPure and iDisplay 3 Pro colorimeter with DVDO iScan Duo Video processor to calibrate my display on VW500ES and the first thing you will see is the higher accuracy in color reproduction, grayscale and most importantly, the gamma which gets u very good blacks levels out of the SXRD projector.

On how much to spend on a video processor that work with the Chromapure software, u will need to ask yourself whether u intend to upgrade to 4k display in the near future... If yes, the. Lumagen will be a prudent choice but if u are going to stick with VW600ES for a period of time u until the 4k projector with laser source and HDR etc reached it maturity phase and cost coming down, get the lower end model from Lumagen (no 4k support) to help with your present display. OOTB VW500ES (in my case) lacks the punch due to less than ideal gamma, but after calibration, it is easily one of the best projector capable of producing a near 4k Up-scaling from 1080p sources.

Thanks so much for the reply. Appreciate your thoughts and real world advice with Lumagen and the VW500ES. The only thing I'm confused about is your suggestion to use a lower end Lumagen without 4K support. The 500ES is 4K , not laser or HDR but is capable of 4K . If I get a 4K ready Lumagen pro now
that is future proofed ( input output cards are made to be upgradeable for future changes) then wouldn't it be prudent to just get that now? I have an opportunity to
get a pro for a super price, even the used mini now is going for $800US. HDR support for the pro is coming soon, HDMI at 18gbp will have to be an upgrade
but the 500 cannot handle that now anyway . I figure it will take two years to get to a projector worthy of an upgrade beyond my 500ES ,so I would be good until
that point and could upgrade the Lumagen to the current standards then. Very encouraging though to understand the gains you made with calibrations on your 500ES, that is exactly what I would hope to achieve. Everything else it could do would be a bonus. Thanks again.

post #5947 of 6069 Old 03-25-2016, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks so much for the reply. Appreciate your thoughts and real world advice with Lumagen and the VW500ES. The only thing I'm confused about is your suggestion to use a lower end Lumagen without 4K support. The 500ES is 4K , not laser or HDR but is capable of 4K . If I get a 4K ready Lumagen pro now
that is future proofed ( input output cards are made to be upgradeable for future changes) then wouldn't it be prudent to just get that now? I have an opportunity to
get a pro for a super price, even the used mini now is going for $800US. HDR support for the pro is coming soon, HDMI at 18gbp will have to be an upgrade
but the 500 cannot handle that now anyway . I figure it will take two years to get to a projector worthy of an upgrade beyond my 500ES ,so I would be good until
that point and could upgrade the Lumagen to the current standards then. Very encouraging though to understand the gains you made with calibrations on your 500ES, that is exactly what I would hope to achieve. Everything else it could do would be a bonus. Thanks again.
Yes, I meant if you are able to get it at a good price. GO for it! I recommended non-4K solely because I thought you are "on the fence" of whether to save the money to get an upgrade for the next 4K projector with all the bells and whistles like HDR (HDMI 2.0a upgrade), WCG, HFR etc OR to get a Lumagen now to calibrate the VW600ES display...hence I recommended the Lumagen (non-4K) assuming you do not want to spend too much since VW600ES does not take advantage of the HDR and WCG.

For me laser- projector is a must as we need "plenty" of lumens here to truly appreciate the HDR and WCG. The current mercury-based lamp module can be inconsistent over time and requires every quarter or half-yearly calibration.
post #5948 of 6069 Old 03-26-2016, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desray2k View Post
Yes, I meant if you are able to get it at a good price. GO for it! I recommended non-4K solely because I thought you are "on the fence" of whether to save the money to get an upgrade for the next 4K projector with all the bells and whistles like HDR (HDMI 2.0a upgrade), WCG, HFR etc OR to get a Lumagen now to calibrate the VW600ES display...hence I recommended the Lumagen (non-4K) assuming you do not want to spend too much since VW600ES does not take advantage of the HDR and WCG.

For me laser- projector is a must as we need "plenty" of lumens here to truly appreciate the HDR and WCG. The current mercury-based lamp module can be inconsistent over time and requires every quarter or half-yearly calibration.

What I want is the Sony VPL VW5000ES, has all the goodies on board now including the laser. At 5000 lumens no need for a Anamorphic lens , plenty of light for HDR and fully compliant with all standards. RC2020 and so on.

The price will need a little work I'm afraid, well, for my budget anyway. The VW500ES was a stretch for my budget, even that level is as high as I'd want to go. Hoping some other manufactures are going to deliver 4K and laser this year with all the goodies and at a descent price. Will be two years before that will fall into
my budget I'm guessing, who knows. When we do meet these standards we will already be discussing 8K and other features, hoping glasses free 3D will be on the menu by that time.

I see my options as 1) buy the Lumagen pro ( future proof) and wait another year or two to upgrade the projector. 2) sell the VW500ES and buy the JVC DLA X950
which will do faux 4K , HDR and meet most specs for at least another two years. Brighter, better contrast , great 3D and hate to say it, does not have the SXRD panel
issues Sony MAY have.

I've never calibrated my VW500ES, maybe it is not as bad as the rumors claim and hoping a full calibration would yield some very noticeable results .

post #5949 of 6069 Old 03-26-2016, 04:10 AM
Advanced Member

Yes VW5000ES is the crown of the jewel. But it's going broke your bank. Wait for other manufacturers to do catch up.

post #5950 of 6069 Old 03-26-2016, 09:13 AM
Home Theater Lover!

Quoted: 2340 Post(s)
Liked: 2124
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
That looks like a decent and reasonably priced meter. At that price, I may jump in. Never having used one before, I have a true newby question: how does one position the meter so it doesn't cast a shadow on the projection screen? Place it below the light path and point it upward at an angle?
Exactly - you put the meter on a tripod pointed up at the screen. They have complete instructions in the " Chromapure for Dummies " download. Easy as pie !

AV Science, Inc. Direct (585) 671-2972 craig@avscience.com www.avscience.com Like us on Facebook

Home theater equipment sales and advice. Call to see the JVC RS600 in Northern California

My theater pics - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514
post #5951 of 6069 Old 03-26-2016, 09:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 46
Quote:
I was a home theater hobbyist before coming to work for AV Science, and I try to always give my honest opinion from a fellow hobbyist point of view. I've told more than one person on the phone to put the money they were going to spend on an upgrade into a 5 year CD instead, and call me when it matures when there is a bigger projector upgrade. There may be qualities that the RS500 or 600 do better than the VW600, but many would conclude they are incremental ( except those contrast fiends - then there's no contest ). Certainly it's not worth taking a big loss on one to get the other, IMO. Then again, I tend to keep projectors for way longer than most people around here.

There will be a time when you are ready to upgrade. Then call us.
Craig seems a very rare person in this field. The magazine writers encourage us to buy a variety of upgrades, from snake oil laced cables on upwards to projectors.
It is nice to see such honest advice. My compliments to Craig. I happen to agree with Craig.. We are just entering the 4k arena. Once we see 4k DLP, we can make more informed decision. BTW, I happen to be a fan of Sony projectors.. including the 1100 (sight unseen) and not a fan of JVC (based on 21 year but limited experience).

PS: A gentle reminder: One of the most basic and best upgrades in a home theatre would be darkening of room, if it is not already is, as much as possible and acoustic treatment.
roxiedog13 likes this.
post #5952 of 6069 Old 03-26-2016, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
Double Ditto

Just ordered the i1 Display Pro from a Canadian site really good price, even included freight. Now looking for advise on Software please? Still sitting on the fence regarding the Lumagen, the Pro may be overkill but at least if I do buy it , it is future proofed for many years to come. Alternatively I could pick up a Lumagen mini or other used but would only be temporary until I upgrade. Could do it entirely manually I suppose, I'm told it is not very accurate this way.

post #5953 of 6069 Old 03-27-2016, 09:41 AM
Home Theater Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post
Craig seems a very rare person in this field. The magazine writers encourage us to buy a variety of upgrades, from snake oil laced cables on upwards to projectors.
It is nice to see such honest advice. My compliments to Craig. I happen to agree with Craig.. We are just entering the 4k arena. Once we see 4k DLP, we can make more informed decision. BTW, I happen to be a fan of Sony projectors.. including the 1100 (sight unseen) and not a fan of JVC (based on 21 year but limited experience).

PS: A gentle reminder: One of the most basic and best upgrades in a home theatre would be darkening of room, if it is not already is, as much as possible and acoustic treatment.
Thanks for the kind words. You are 100% correct - the best improvement IMO that I've ever done to my theater, was adding acoustic treatments, and making the room darker ( which allowed me to replace my grey screens with a Studiotek 130 G3 and a Cima Neve white screen ). Before and after pics. It's actually much darker than in looks - so much so I need to use a flash to get a photo, which makes the walls look brighter than they really are. Even in the before pics the walls were flat grey -

After -

roxiedog13 likes this.

AV Science, Inc. Direct (585) 671-2972 craig@avscience.com www.avscience.com Like us on Facebook

Home theater equipment sales and advice. Call to see the JVC RS600 in Northern California

post #5954 of 6069 Old 03-27-2016, 09:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

That is very nice Craig.. You made the carpet black..
Your drapes are red, yes? Ceiling is dark grey? Nice..

ps: if any of you want to make your own acoustic treatment, PM me.. I can give you a suggestion for cheap and easy to make. I don't want to digress subject of this post. So, PM only please.
post #5955 of 6069 Old 03-28-2016, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Good News! I bought a new lamp and replaced the old one. The picture is now back to the original brightness levels and the autocalibration yielded perfect colors (blue is now back to normal again). So no panel degradation here - contrast ist also like I remember it. I am still puzzled why my old lamp degraded so quickly after 1600h, while other use theirs 2000+ hours. Let's see how the new lamp performs over time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojodyne View Post
I just hit the 1700h mark on the 500ES and as the picture seemed a little greenish for a while I decided to use the autocalibration to adjust for possible lamp decay (typically many lamps loose red after some usage - at least my old VW60 lamp did). Now the results were surprising/frightning - while red, green and white balance were adjusted correctly to below 2 dE (White Balance from 15 dE to 0.9 dE), blue had a dE = 40.9 (pre calib) and remained at dE 40.9 (post calib). Picture looks better than pre-calib, it still seems blue has drifted into green territory. Before I dig out my old i1 and remeasure the unit, I want to find out if any of you have similar measurements after 1500-1700h. At the moment all of the following explanations are still in the running:
1) Lamp decay (reduced spectrum associated with blue)
2) Panel degradation (blue?)
3) some auto-cal anamoly

Does anybody have experience using autocal or similar readings?
Craig Peer and roxiedog13 like this.
post #5956 of 6069 Old 03-28-2016, 10:14 AM
Home Theater Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojodyne View Post
Good News! I bought a new lamp and replaced the old one. The picture is now back to the original brightness levels and the autocalibration yielded perfect colors (blue is now back to normal again). So no panel degradation here - contrast ist also like I remember it. I am still puzzled why my old lamp degraded so quickly after 1600h, while other use theirs 2000+ hours. Let's see how the new lamp performs over time....
I've almost never gotten much over 1000 hours before I'm thinking my picture is too dim for my tastes. So 1700 hours isn't too bad. It all depends on the size of your screen and how bright a picture you need to be satisfied.

post #5957 of 6069 Old 03-28-2016, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked: 2043
Quote:
Just ordered the i1 Display Pro from a Canadian site really good price, even included freight. Now looking for advise on Software please? Still sitting on the fence regarding the Lumagen, the Pro may be overkill but at least if I do buy it , it is future proofed for many years to come. Alternatively I could pick up a Lumagen mini or other used but would only be temporary until I upgrade. Could do it entirely manually I suppose, I'm told it is not very accurate this way.
You don't need external processing for the 500/600ES. The calibrate just fine with the internal controls. Get ChromaPure and have at it.

If you really think you need 2K external or 2K 3D LUT processing I can sell you either a Lumagen mini or a DVDO Iscan Duo for external. I haven't used either in quite awhile. If you want to really do 2K right you get LightSpace software and an Entertainment Experience eeColor Processor. I sell these new and shipped a couple to Industrial Light & Magic last month. If they're good enough for George Lucas' displays, they'll work for you too.

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator
CalMAN Ultimate license FS

post #5958 of 6069 Old 03-28-2016, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 1046
Quote:
BTW, I happen to be a fan of Sony projectors.. including the 1100 (sight unseen) and not a fan of JVC (based on 21 year but limited experience).
I realize this is a Sony thread, but just curious why you are not a fan of JVC?

post #5959 of 6069 Old 03-28-2016, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked: 2043
I posted a couple of thumbnails and they show what can easily be done with the 600ES internal controls - Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread

Don't bother clicking on the link for the full report as I took the site down.

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator
CalMAN Ultimate license FS

post #5960 of 6069 Old 03-28-2016, 01:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I realize this is a Sony thread, but just curious why you are not a fan of JVC?
I don't really hate JVC as a company. I have no opinion on it. It seems to be sell very reliable products (as opposed to Sony's contrast loss fiasco) and seem to be very innovate. But as far as JVC projectors:I had two bad experiences. Both projectors were supposedly the best at their time. I bought the first JVC G10, at introduction in 1998. It was $18,000 (Probably more like $25k in today;s dollars?). It was the only projector at that time, in that price range, with that much light output. LCDs were the only other competition. The picture was simply not good. Yes, I had it calibrated.. with a guy named William Phelps, who flew in from CA, to calibrate that JVC and set up my Marquee 9800lc. A lot of people on this forum were touting how great jvc would be, after calibration.. not!

About 10 years ago, the JVC RS 20 came out.. A lot of people here said it was finally the projector which beats the CRT in black levels etc. I had to ship it overseas for a friend.. and I suggested the JVC rs20, sight unseen, based on all the rave reviews here on AVS. Later, when I went overseas and actually saw it, I was very disappointed. The picture simply lacked - I don't know what to call it - what I liked in a much cheaper Sony projector at that time. Even my friend, who relied on my advice and who does not know anything about projectors or pictures said.. how come this new projector is not that great? I had to agree with him.. I can't describe in technical details why, but it was simply not a good picture.. Lacking crispness and naturalness? I am not sure how to phrase it.

A few years ago, I saw the jvc 65 eshift. It was pretty good but it still was not an amazing picture. I like the picture of my sony Qualia 004 better, even now. "Inky blacks" are not the only criteria for me. I love the Carl Zeiss lens on my qualia. Contrast is low but doesn't bother me... As is the case with the people who love their sony 1100 here, even after it has lost some of its contrast.
Hence my comment: Sight unseen, I am quite sure I would love the Sony 1100.. which would probably be my next projector, in about a year, once UHD is more abundant.
post #5961 of 6069 Old 03-28-2016, 01:36 PM
Home Theater Lover!

Quote:
I don't really hate JVC as a company. I have no opinion on it. It seems to be sell very reliable products (as opposed to Sony's contrast loss fiasco) and seem to be very innovate. But as far as JVC projectors:I had two bad experiences. Both projectors were supposedly the best at their time. I bought the first JVC G10, at introduction in 1998. It was $18,000 (Probably more like $25k in today;s dollars?). It was the only projector at that time, in that price range, with that much light output. LCDs were the only other competition. The picture was simply not good. Yes, I had it calibrated.. with a guy named William Phelps, who flew in from CA, to calibrate that JVC and set up my Marquee 9800lc. A lot of people on this forum were touting how great jvc would be, after calibration.. not!

About 10 years ago, the JVC RS 20 came out.. A lot of people here said it was finally the projector which beats the CRT in black levels etc. I had to ship it overseas for a friend.. and I suggested the JVC rs20, sight unseen, based on all the rave reviews here on AVS. Later, when I went overseas and actually saw it, I was very disappointed. The picture simply lacked - I don't know what to call it - what I liked in a much cheaper Sony projector at that time. Even my friend, who relied on my advice and who does not know anything about projectors or pictures said.. how come this new projector is not that great? I had to agree with him.. I can't describe in technical details why, but it was simply not a good picture.. Lacking crispness and naturalness? I am not sure how to phrase it.

A few years ago, I saw the jvc 65 eshift. It was pretty good but it still was not an amazing picture. I like the picture of my sony Qualia 004 better, even now. "Inky blacks" are not the only criteria for me. I love the Carl Zeiss lens on my qualia. Contrast is low but doesn't bother me... As is the case with the people who love their sony 1100 here, even after it has lost some of its contrast.
Hence my comment: Sight unseen, I am quite sure I would love the Sony 1100.. which would probably be my next projector, in about a year, once UHD is more abundant.
If you lived in Northern CA, you could come over and compare the VW600 with my RS600. You would be amazed. JVC has made huge strides this generation. That said, I'm going to watch Maze Runner : Scorch Trials tonight on the VW600. And Bridge of Spies Wed. night on the RS600.

post #5962 of 6069 Old 03-29-2016, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid

Quote:
If you lived in Northern CA, you could come over and compare the VW600 with my RS600. You would be amazed. JVC has made huge strides this generation. That said, I'm going to watch Maze Runner : Scorch Trials tonight on the VW600. And Bridge of Spies Wed. night on the RS600.
Something about 600 that really gets you all lit up I see( yes pun intended). You must have these puppies stacked I assume, great for comparison indeed . If you had a new 4K lumagen you could split the screen and do a full A/B from the same movie, that would be neat. My guess is though you would say exactly what many are already saying, one has better detail , the other better contrast. Either one would more than suffice it all depends on your individual taste. If I didn't have a projector now the JVC would be my choice just because it is HDR ready and compliant with all the new standards. Actually , would probably choose it over the Sony VW665ES too for the same reasons AND the lower price .
audvid likes this.

post #5963 of 6069 Old 03-29-2016, 08:43 AM
Home Theater Lover!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid

Something about 600 that really gets you all lit up I see( yes pun intended). You must have these puppies stacked I assume, great for comparison indeed . If you had a new 4K lumagen you could split the screen and do a full A/B from the same movie, that would be neat. My guess is though you would say exactly what many are already saying, one has better detail , the other better contrast. Either one would more than suffice it all depends on your individual taste. If I didn't have a projector now the JVC would be my choice just because it is HDR ready and compliant with all the new standards. Actually , would probably choose it over the Sony VW665ES too for the same reasons AND the lower price .
Yes, they are in a stack ( the JVC RS600 replaced my Sim Lumis Host ). I like having two projectors - there is always a back up unit ! Maze Runner : Scorch Trials looked excellent on the VW600 last night by the way.

post #5964 of 6069 Old 03-30-2016, 03:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
My problem was not so much the brightness, even though now seeing the 500es in all it's glory with a new lamp makes me feel i should have exchanged the lamp earlier. The real problem was the blue shift which the sony's autocal could no longer compensate for. As others do not report such a dramatic color shift with lamps running more than 2000+ hours, i guess i just got a not-so-good lamp. I just hope the new lamp lasts longer....

Quote:
I've almost never gotten much over 1000 hours before I'm thinking my picture is too dim for my tastes. So 1700 hours isn't too bad. It all depends on the size of your screen and how bright a picture you need to be satisfied.
roxiedog13 likes this.
post #5965 of 6069 Old 03-31-2016, 11:19 AM
Home Theater Lover!

I have to say that " Bridge of Spies " looked fantastic on my VW600 last night. Lots of detail in faces etc. in this nicely shot movie ( great DTS soundtrack too ).

post #5966 of 6069 Old 03-31-2016, 12:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Quote:
My guess is though you would say exactly what many are already saying, one has better detail , the other better contrast. Either one would more than suffice it all depends on your individual taste..
Well phrased: "one has better detail and the other better contrast". Even though I have not seen either of these two, based on my prior experience with JVC 65 and Sony Qualia, both showing 1080p - that about sums up my observation also. The Sony's Carl Zeiss lens quality shows up also as superior clarity but shadow detail is probabl lower in dark scenes on Sony.
post #5967 of 6069 Old 04-01-2016, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

4K blu ray sucess with the VW600ES

Anyone tried the samsung 4K player with the 600, any issues and is the picture any better? I don't think it can stretch 4K material to work with a anamorphic lens either, would be a bonus certainly. I know the new Oppo 4K will be able to stretch 4K, they (informally) told me so . The oppo is not available until 2017 however, that is an issue.

post #5968 of 6069 Old 04-01-2016, 08:43 AM
Home Theater Lover!

Quote:
Anyone tried the samsung 4K player with the 600, any issues and is the picture any better? I don't think it can stretch 4K material to work with a anamorphic lens either, would be a bonus certainly. I know the new Oppo 4K will be able to stretch 4K, they (informally) told me so . The oppo is not available until 2017 however, that is an issue.
Hopefully in perhaps 6 weeks we will have two additional 4K Blu Ray players to choose from. That's what I'm waiting on myself.

post #5969 of 6069 Old 04-01-2016, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hopefully in perhaps 6 weeks we will have two additional 4K Blu Ray players to choose from. That's what I'm waiting on myself.
Panasonic I know is around the bend, the other Sony I am guessing ?

post #5970 of 6069 Old 04-01-2016, 01:52 PM
Home Theater Lover!

Quote:
Panasonic I know is around the bend, the other Sony I am guessing ?
Philips. Don't know much about it. It's really looking to me like 2017 is 4K UHD's big year. 2016 - " bleeding edge beta tester " year. I can't say there are all that many 4K BR's out that I'm interested in. The new Star Wars would have been a no brainer - I've only seen the BR coming so far.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw500es , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player
Gear in this thread