Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread - Page 208 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 404Likes

post #6211 of 6221 Old 07-15-2017, 05:55 PM
aka: HarperVision

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1423 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
That's interesting, thanks. I was unaware of the Sony UBP-X800. I see it also has a display setting for "TV or Projector", which I haven't noticed in a player before.

About that 8-bit data, isn't that all the 600ES can handle? Does the 600ES's "x.v.Color" setting help at all with wide-color-gamut content?

I guess I will head over to the X800 thread, but one more quick question. It's vague in the manual how the "4K upscale" setting works. Does the "Auto1" setting do the right thing with our projectors, namely send 1080p when playing a regular Blu-ray and 2160p when playing a UHD disc? I prefer to upscale 1080p in the projector.

Thanks again.
The UB900 also has a setting to choose TV or Projector.

Yes you can send 10 bit to the Sony, but I think the driver board is limited to 8 bits (per Seegs108). The SXRD panels themselves are 12 bit.

Yes the x.v.Color (x.v.YCC) setting is a little bit wider gamut, but the source has to also have that capability, and not many do. I think the PS3 does. But since it is capable of wider than rec709 color gamut, you can send the BT2020 (which is for now just P3 inside the 2020 container) and it will go out as far as it can color wise, which if I recall gets to about 87% of DCI-P3 color gamut for the Sonys. So you do get some benefit by sending BT2020 from your UHD players, etc. I saw this first hand while testing a 350ES, 365ES & 675ES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytvstosee View Post
Paul what converter are you referring to
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBonn View Post
The HD Fury, and I think there is another one.
Paul
HDFury has two out now, the Integral and the Linker, and a new one coming in Nov called the Vertex that does what each of those do combined, and then some!
bweissman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6212 of 6221 Old 07-16-2017, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Yes the x.v.Color (x.v.YCC) setting is a little bit wider gamut, but the source has to also have that capability, and not many do. I think the PS3 does. But since it is capable of wider than rec709 color gamut, you can send the BT2020 (which is for now just P3 inside the 2020 container) and it will go out as far as it can color wise, which if I recall gets to about 87% of DCI-P3 color gamut for the Sonys. So you do get some benefit by sending BT2020 from your UHD players, etc. I saw this first hand while testing a 350ES, 365ES & 675ES.
What colour space setting would you suggest to get the most from a 350ES to max the potential of a HDR player like the Sony X800?
post #6213 of 6221 Old 07-16-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
What colour space setting would you suggest to get the most from a 350ES to max the potential of a HDR player like the Sony X800?

The 350 also supports the xvYCC if I recall so that's also wider than rec709, so you can send BT2020 and let it go as wide as it can, which is probably the same 87 or so % of P3.

You'll probably need an HDF Integral or Linker to get it to output SDR BT2020 though. Or try to get it to send HDR with a Linker and then use custom settings like my HarperVision ones.

post #6214 of 6221 Old 07-17-2017, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The 350 also supports the xvYCC if I recall so that's also wider than rec709, so you can send BT2020 and let it go as wide as it can, which is probably the same 87 or so % of P3.

You'll probably need an HDF Integral or Linker to get it to output SDR BT2020 though. Or try to get it to send HDR with a Linker and then use custom settings like my HarperVision ones.
Thanks for the reply Dave. I was hoping that I could work with one of the 5 Color Space options mentioned in the manual.
Dave Harper likes this.
post #6215 of 6221 Old 07-18-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Dave. I was hoping that I could work with one of the 5 Color Space options mentioned in the manual.

I'm pretty sure if you have a meter like an i1 and grab a free calibration software like HCFR (if you don't have these already?) then you should be able to use the Custom Color Space and send BT2020 to it with an HDF device and then check and adjust the CMS to as wide as you can get it to support. I think it'll be similar to the other Sonys, about 87% of P3.
post #6216 of 6221 Old 07-18-2017, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm pretty sure if you have a meter like an i1 and grab a free calibration software like HCFR (if you don't have these already?) then you should be able to use the Custom Color Space and send BT2020 to it with an HDF device and then check and adjust the CMS to as wide as you can get it to support. I think it'll be similar to the other Sonys, about 87% of P3.
Thanks again. After all these years I still haven't found the time or the courage to approach such types of calibration. Possibly something for my retirement
On a somewhat non-related subject, is there a moderately priced pj (in the $ range of a Sony 350ES) that truly shows a noticeable benefit of the latest HDR players and discs? My 300ES is a great 4K pj, but I see no difference when playing a UBR discs.
post #6217 of 6221 Old 07-18-2017, 07:02 PM

Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread

Quote:
Thanks again. After all these years I still haven't found the time or the courage to approach such types of calibration. Possibly something for my retirement

On a somewhat non-related subject, is there a moderately priced pj (in the $ range of a Sony 350ES) that truly shows a noticeable benefit of the latest HDR players and discs? My 300ES is a great 4K pj, but I see no difference when playing a UBR discs.

Yes, I would look for a leftover or B-Stock JVC RS600 or maybe a new JVC RS520. You may even be able to get an RS620 in the range that the 350ES retailed for.

I personally think the laser phosphor Epson LS10000 and LS10500 do it justice as well, if calibrated right for HDR.

I would contact @Craig Peer or @Mike Garrett from AVS.
Craig Peer and Mike Garrett like this.
post #6218 of 6221 Old 07-18-2017, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 6684 Post(s)
Liked: 4379
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Would be happy to help you.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
post #6219 of 6221 Old 08-14-2017, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a Sony VW600es 4K Native Projector, the bulb has about 1098 hrs on it, and today the projector started to show blurry images, everything works excepts the image quality went down. Does anyone know what may be causing such a change? By the way, I started to hear some fast ticking sounds as well....

Thanks
EDK
post #6220 of 6221 Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilimanjaro View Post
I have a Sony VW600es 4K Native Projector, the bulb has about 1098 hrs on it, and today the projector started to show blurry images, everything works excepts the image quality went down. Does anyone know what may be causing such a change? By the way, I started to hear some fast ticking sounds as well....

Thanks
EDK
Not many people responding to this tread anymore. I have a 500es with close to 2000 hours and its still looking good other than a loss of native contrast. However, concerning your issue, i am pretty certain its is not the lamp. Have you tried adjusting the focus? that would be my first step, get it as good as possible. there are some decent images but anything with letters or nice straight lines i have found works well with the focus. if that does not get it razor sharp, you have a problem with something else other than the optics. I have heard that the panel alignments can cause a slight blurry look but that usually also has some color shading associated with it based on images i have seen. The clicking sound however sounds like something with the iris or a switch/solenoid issue. It is sounding like a trip to United Radio may be in order. Is the projector in warranty?
post #6221 of 6221 Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 194
I had to send my 600es to a United Radio today. I had ticking sounds a few times but then my panels wouldn't align. No movement when adjusting the grid in the menu. It has just under 600 total hours and it's just outside of warranty. Not real impressed right now!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw500es , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page