Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread - Page 209 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 404Likes

post #6241 of 6247 Old 09-17-2017, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by myc52002 View Post
I'll give this a try. I have attempted several combination of settings with no success but probably not this exact set. I am connected to input 2 directly as well with the same results. There is no other display connected to the Anthem either. I'm not sure it's worth the mess to add the HDFury. Obviously the picture even in 1080P is superb but I am more annoyed by why this issue exists. It's is only on HDR encoded discs.
Well that didn't work either. It seems pretty clear whether its because of updates etc. one just can't play an HDR disc on this projector without some kind of interference device like the HDFury. No sure it's worth going there when it still looks great as is. Kind of knew this could happen when I bought the unit but still a bit frustrating trying to keep up with a moving target. Thanks all for the suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6242 of 6247 Old 09-17-2017, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
It seems pretty clear whether its because of updates etc. one just can't play an HDR disc on this projector without some kind of interference device like the HDFury.
No device needed for UHD HDR playback. Set my Oppo UDP-203 and Sony UBP-X800 for HDR to SDR and original resolution playback therefore I get SDR but 3840 x 2160 video. That is all one can expect from the VW600. Use the Oppo most of the time for HD & UHD disc playback.
post #6243 of 6247 Old 09-24-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
No device needed for UHD HDR playback. Set my Oppo UDP-203 and Sony UBP-X800 for HDR to SDR and original resolution playback therefore I get SDR but 3840 x 2160 video. That is all one can expect from the VW600. Use the Oppo most of the time for HD & UHD disc playback.
What in the Oppo exactly is HDR - SDR setting? I asssume it may be Strip metadata as only other choice is auto, off , forced. Setting to source direct makes no difference. Not many choices to choose. No combination works. I’ve tried them all.

I make my HDR statement based on the fact The Revenant movie is not HDR and it plays fine in 4K. I’m showing 4K output and the Anthem shows 4K and the Sony shows 4K being received.

Just bought Wonder Woman 4K HDR and does the same as other HDR discs. Oppo is outputting 1080P, not 4K. Long pressing info does show the media type at 4K but it is putting out 1080P.

The only variable here is the HDR encoding on all the discs that do not show in 4K and the one disc I have that is not HDR works as 4K through the processor and projector.

post #6244 of 6247 Old 09-25-2017, 04:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What in the Oppo exactly is HDR - SDR setting? I asssume it may be Strip metadata as only other choice is auto, off , forced. Setting to source direct makes no difference. Not many choices to choose. No combination works. I’ve tried them all.
HDR should be set to OFF.
post #6245 of 6247 Old 09-27-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
HDR should be set to OFF.
That's what I thought. Didn't work. Now I have to back track on my HDR comments because with more troubleshooting I discovered something else that is even more baffling. Nothing has changed with my previous descriptions except now when I play the non-HDR disc it is also forcing 1080P. So I then decided to direct connect the Oppo to the Sony (real pain as I have to pull the rack out of the wall) and what do ya know ALL my 4K discs play 4K directly from the Oppo to the Sony input 2. No problem whatsoever.

So clearly I was wrong on HDR being an issue so it would seem it is the Anthem. I changed the cable from the Oppo to the Anthem, tried different inputs with no success. So I called Anthem and they claim there is no way it could be the problem because all it does is pass the signal with no processing so it can't effect that issue. I'm not at all convinced of that. Frankly they weren't very concerned with my angst about this. That was frustrating and has not been my experience with them in the past. I also called Oppo just to be sure I wasn't missing something and I'm not. Their explanation mirrors my understanding of the HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 handshakes that have to occur so it would seem something about the Anthem is interfering some how with that handshake. That I have no answer to so I guess I will move over to the Anthem thread and see what I can find out. At least I know the projector is not an issue with HDR. I appreciate the time from all of you with your thoughts.
post #6246 of 6247 Old 09-28-2017, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
That's what I thought. Didn't work. Now I have to back track on my HDR comments because with more troubleshooting I discovered something else that is even more baffling. Nothing has changed with my previous descriptions except now when I play the non-HDR disc it is also forcing 1080P. So I then decided to direct connect the Oppo to the Sony (real pain as I have to pull the rack out of the wall) and what do ya know ALL my 4K discs play 4K directly from the Oppo to the Sony input 2. No problem whatsoever.

So clearly I was wrong on HDR being an issue so it would seem it is the Anthem. I changed the cable from the Oppo to the Anthem, tried different inputs with no success. So I called Anthem and they claim there is no way it could be the problem because all it does is pass the signal with no processing so it can't effect that issue. I'm not at all convinced of that. Frankly they weren't very concerned with my angst about this. That was frustrating and has not been my experience with them in the past. I also called Oppo just to be sure I wasn't missing something and I'm not. Their explanation mirrors my understanding of the HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 handshakes that have to occur so it would seem something about the Anthem is interfering some how with that handshake. That I have no answer to so I guess I will move over to the Anthem thread and see what I can find out. At least I know the projector is not an issue with HDR. I appreciate the time from all of you with your thoughts.
Didn't see if you responded, but do you have another non-4k display hooked to your Anthem?
If so, this is your problem.
post #6247 of 6247 Old 09-28-2017, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So I then decided to direct connect the Oppo to the Sony (real pain as I have to pull the rack out of the wall) and what do ya know ALL my 4K discs play 4K directly from the Oppo to the Sony input 2. No problem whatsoever
I suggested that several post back.

My Yamaha CX-A5100 has HDMI 2.0a, HDCP 2.2 switching. It did work with the Oppo and Sony VW600. But if I made certain changes on the Oppo the 5100 would fail to re-lock and required a power cycle to work again. If the Oppo was used then a Sony FMP-X10 (a 4K media player) selected the 5100 would not lock, if the X10 was selected before the Oppo it would lock. So I procured a E-SDS UHD HDMI Switch which works without issues.

On the Oppo I use the main HDMI out to the E-SDS switch and the 2nd HDMI out to the A5100 for audio, same for a Sony UBP-X800. The X10 has been sold. The A5100 still had trouble locking the audio from the Oppo so I turned off the A5100 HDMI main output when the Oppo is selected and that fixed the problem. The A5100 main HDMI out is connected to the Sony VW600 HDMI 1 input.

A great feature of the A5100 is it has 12 Scene memories with many variables that can be set, so this feature and a MX-980 remote makes it easy to select and use all these devices.
post #6248 of 6247 Old Today, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 22
My VPL-VW600ES projector no longer works with the Nintendo Switch after the Switch's 4.0 firmware update. The image blinks on and off in docked mode for the projector only, maybe about every 400ms. Other display devices work fine with the Switch; other sources work fine with the projector.

I have tried all manner of devices, cables, or direct connection to the projector; no luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw500es , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page