Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-16-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 129
RC will depend on if you use an external device too like a Darbee.

My very very quick testing was I liked resolution at about 10 and noise filtering at 0. (Darbee at 35)

I didn't get a chance to really test anything more then 10 min or so though. With the very very quick test I could not detect what noise filtering was trying to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2014, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post

Hmmm....I know Mark or Mike could shed some better light on this issue.

Mark and Mike could you please help? I am stuck with this problem...

Old 01-16-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

RC will depend on if you use an external device too like a Darbee.

My very very quick testing was I liked resolution at about 10 and noise filtering at 0. (Darbee at 35)

I didn't get a chance to really test anything more then 10 min or so though. With the very very quick test I could not detect what noise filtering was trying to do.

I find that by upping the "resolution" setting, things start to look sharper (a lot sharper) but there is an increase in digital noise. By putting the noise filtering to 25, there is no real negative appearance (to me anyway) to the image, but you retain the sharpness added from the resolution setting. From the projectorcentral review:

"Reality Creation has two sliders for adjustment. The first slider controls how much enhancement is applied to the image. The second adjust the signal to noise ratio -- in essence, it tells the detail enhancement system where to draw the line between real detail and digital noise."

I also found this interesting too:
"The VW600ES has several features that alter contrast and dynamic range. The first of these, Contrast Enhance, raises the cut-off point for black. This is actually not desirable most of the time, because the VW600ES is more than capable of rendering deep shadow detail."

I need to go home and adjust mine, because it is on low.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrash66 View Post

I find that by upping the "resolution" setting, things start to look sharper (a lot more detailed) but there is an increase in digital noise after a certain point. By putting the noise filtering to 25, there is no real negative appearance (to me anyway) to the image, but you retain the sharpness added from the resolution setting. From the projectorcentral review:

"Reality Creation has two sliders for adjustment. The first slider controls how much enhancement is applied to the image. The second adjust the signal to noise ratio -- in essence, it tells the detail enhancement system where to draw the line between real detail and digital noise."

I also found this interesting too:
"The VW600ES has several features that alter contrast and dynamic range. The first of these, Contrast Enhance, raises the cut-off point for black. This is actually not desirable most of the time, because the VW600ES is more than capable of rendering deep shadow detail."

I need to go home and adjust mine, because it is on low.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have a request to make. It might sound crazy but I thought that unless I ask, I wouldn't know about it.
Is there anybody in NJ/PA with VPL95ES and VW600ES willing to show both?????? I have 95ES and wanted to see how big of a difference going to 600ES brings. I understand that other factors can change the experience in my environment (darkness in room/screen gain etc) but still it will help me a lot. So if there is anyone kind enough to let a stranger (I'm not a bad person, I promise smile.gif ) see them in action, I'd appreciate it very much.

Thanks
Old 01-16-2014, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Do you get the Sony HD with the 600ES or you have to pay extra...
Old 01-16-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Correct. This has been posted several times. I guess some people missed it. smile.gif

Sorry, didn't know that was the case. Seems sad that a 4k projector doesn't have both ports supporting similar content..... I guess this is a price you pay for early adopters.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post

Do you get the Sony HD with the 600ES or you have to pay extra...

Paid extra, but got a good deal.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by espny View Post

Mark and Mike could you please help? I am stuck with this problem...

I really know nothing about fooling Sony into thinking your puck and projector are located in the United States. If they were, when you ran the app you would have to establish an account though it would not have to be funded with a credit card until you made a purchase and were not just getting a freebee. It looks like Sony knows where the server and projector are and are not asking for a US account. if they thought the machine were in the US, the app would have asked to to establish an account. You could try deinstalingl the app and reinstall it and reinitialize it and see what happens but you will have to fool Sony with a US account address yada yada. Not my bag and not Mike's either. I just can't help you here but others overseas have evidently done it.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Old 01-16-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Has anyone had any luck controlling their 500/600 with the IP Driver in Control4?

I'm using the VPL-VW1000ES IP Driver, and it will turn it off but it wont turn it on or change the input, maybe they changed the commands or something?

If you got it working please let me know what you did.

thank you.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:38 PM

Liked: 13
Try to put the 600es in standard "standby" instead of low
Old 01-16-2014, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I searched but didn't see if this was answered or not.

Are you able to use ANY other Android phone/tablet/device with the FMP-X1 Media Server other than the Sony stuff? Pretty dumb for Sony to lock you into their tablets when there are zillions of Android users out there already confused.gif
Old 01-17-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I really know nothing about fooling Sony into thinking your puck and projector are located in the United States. If they were, when you ran the app you would have to establish an account though it would not have to be funded with a credit card until you made a purchase and were not just getting a freebee. It looks like Sony knows where the server and projector are and are not asking for a US account. if they thought the machine were in the US, the app would have asked to to establish an account. you could deinstall the app and reinstall it and reinitialize it and see what happens but you will have to fool Sony with a US address yada yada. Not my bag and not Mike's either. I just can't help you here buy others overseas have evidently done it.

Had to reset my tablet, link it to Sony Unlimited while setup and then reinstall the app and dada.... It works beautiful! Thank you!

Old 01-17-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Glad I could help. I had to deinstall the app and reinstall it on one puck I was installing because by mistake my helper entered in a birthdate for the account holder that was not over 21. The app stops after that and doesn't let an account be established. So you have to deinstall the app and reinstall the app and start over.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Old 01-17-2014, 03:58 PM

Liked: 10
Do you need a Sony tablet to control the media player?
Old 01-17-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes. With the projector. The app will not install itself on anything but the Sony tablet. Its a pretty nice tablet though and you can drop it in your swimming pool if the charger port is sealed with the rubber stopper covering it without hurting it..

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Old 01-17-2014, 07:06 PM

Thanks Mark, I did a chat with a Sony rep online and he tells me it is not necessary. That the tablet would be a duplicate remote. I didn't think that the FMP-X1
came with a remote. The only other way I thought was maybe with the VPL-600ES remote. So looks like some confusion even among the people at
Sony on how to work this thing.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The server does not have a remote. It comes with an external power supply. The server has an on/off switch, some led lights, and to HDMI outs (one just doing audio) and lan connection taking a RJ45 connector, and a USM for hooking up external storage. At least on the 1000/1100ES, the tablet is necessary to make the damn thing work. Perhaps the 600 is different but I don't thing so. Don't call the Sony store site. Call the ES integrator hot line, you can google the number. They are in San Diego PST time. They will generally have the right skivy.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Old 01-17-2014, 09:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeedog View Post

Thanks Mark, I did a chat with a Sony rep online and he tells me it is not necessary. That the tablet would be a duplicate remote. I didn't think that the FMP-X1
came with a remote. The only other way I thought was maybe with the VPL-600ES remote. So looks like some confusion even among the people at
Sony on how to work this thing.

Sounds like that rep is more familiar with Sony 4K TV's. With the 4K Sony TV's you can control the server by use of the remote, but with the projectors, you have to use the Sony tablet for control of the server. If we can help you, give us a call.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 01-18-2014, 08:19 AM

Do you guys think that I would get better results with my DVDO duo scaling to 1080p, my sources Direct TV and Oppo 95, or bypass the processor and feed
the Sony native rate and let it do all the upconversion?
Old 01-18-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeedog View Post

Do you guys think that I would get better results with my DVDO duo scaling to 1080p, my sources Direct TV and Oppo 95, or bypass the processor and feed
the Sony native rate and let it do all the upconversion?

Try it both ways yourself. Shut the RC off and then reset the RC when you decide which way is better without the RC on.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Old 01-18-2014, 10:36 AM

Ok, easy enough that's just what i'll do!
Old 01-18-2014, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Hey guys,
Finally I decided to purchase 600es and here it is smile.gif

My special thanks to CRAIG from www.theatermax.com. Saw his video unboxing vw600es, called him up and found out that he was only 20 minutes away from me smile.gif
I still haven't un-boxed it yet. Hopefully today I'll be able to hook it up smile.gif
Old 01-18-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherazNJ View Post

Hey guys,
Finally I decided to purchase 600es and here it is smile.gif

My special thanks to CRAIG from www.theatermax.com. Saw his video unboxing vw600es, called him up and found out that he was only 20 minutes away from me smile.gif
I still haven't un-boxed it yet. Hopefully today I'll be able to hook it up smile.gif

Nice dude! Glad you went with the 600ES!

I am still waiting on mine. It shipped out Thursday but eta to my dealer is Monday/Tuesday. Was really hoping it would have come in today so I could watch the games tomorrow.....but at least I'll have it ready for the Super Bowl!

Let me know how you like the Server/Tablet. Still deciding if I want to add that as well yet or not.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

I'm having some issue aligning the edges. I mounted projector to the ceiling. If you look in the image Top is 100% aligned. Also bottom left is aligned but bottom right is about 1 inches high. I can't find any setting in menu to change it. I don't think its the mounting issue otherwise top edge wouldn't be 100% aligned. What do I need to extend this bottom right corner?
thx
Old 01-18-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There is nothing to adjust. It is misalignment by you. Shame. smile.gif You do not have the left right edges of the lens the same distance to the screen. the right edge is closer than the left. You need to twist the lens around projector cemter so you get a perfect rectangle om the screen with right angles at each corner. As you twist the around left right you will need to adjust horizontal lens shift, zoom, etc a little bit. I suspect you did not use a 0 length pole on the mount to ceiling flange which would allow easy set up. I would suggest getting a ceiling flange and a pipe nipple at home depot and attaching same to the mount. Your side lines (edges) do not mimic your screen (you want them to look like parallel lines). Since your dealer is so close, I am sure he can help you here. But for ease you need a 1 1/2 inch pipe flange and a 1 1/2 inch 0 length (all threads) pipe nipple.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Old 01-18-2014, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

There is nothing to adjust. It is misalignment by you. Shame. smile.gif You do not have the left right edges of the lens the same distance to the screen. the right edge is closer than the left. You need to twist the lens around projector cemter so you get a perfect rectangle om the screen with right angles at each corner. As you twist the around left right you will need to adjust horizontal lens shift, zoom, etc a little bit. I suspect you did not use a 0 length pole on the mount to ceiling flange which would allow easy set up. I would suggest getting a ceiling flange and a pipe nipple at home depot and attaching same to the mount. Your side lines (edges) do not mimic your screen (you want them to look like parallel lines). Since your dealer is so close, I am sure he can help you here. But for ease you need a 1 1/2 inch pipe flange and a 1 1/2 inch 0 length (all threads) pipe nipple.

thx so much mark. I'm playing around with it and can align bottom and top perfectly. But then I can see that the left side top area is about an inch inward as compared to bottom side only on left side of image. On the right side of image though, it has equal distance from top to bottom. This is very confusing frown.gif I remember in 95es, there is an option that fixes that issue but not in this projector.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

I more think I noticed is that HDMI1 input doesn't show anything and HDMI2 input is fine and shows the image. Do we know why?
Old 01-18-2014, 06:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You must make the lens surface exactly parallel to the plane of the screen. Tilting up down gets the top and bottom of the lens the same distance away from the plane BUT you must now twist the projector, in essence around a center pole to align the right and left edges of the lens from the screen. When you do this, you will get a perfect rectangle. Do not worry if you are not centered on the screen after the rotation. You can then move the projector so the image is centered or use as tad of horizontal lens shift. Don't be afraid. Twist left and right and you will see how the left and right edges react. You can zoom the picture smaller if this helps. What aspect ratio is your screen. It looks like a 1.78. You will probably want to use the 1.78 edge markets on the zoom screen to align the picture with the screen.
Your old projector had a crappy trapezoidal correction function. All trapezoidal correction functions regardless of the projector or brand are to be avoided. They should NEVER be used. They degrade the image noticeably. Take your time. If you need help, call me. There is nothing wrong with your projector.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Old 01-18-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherazNJ View Post

I more think I noticed is that HDMI1 input doesn't show anything and HDMI2 input is fine and shows the image. Do we know why?

Both HDMI inputs should work. But you need to plug something into to each. HDMI 2 is the only input that will let you see the server content in UHD or 4K. If you plug the server into HDMI 1, you will see the content in 480p and it will be small. HDMI 2 is the only input protected by HDCP 2.2. I suspect that input 2 needs less signal strength if you will to work than input 1. The input chips are different.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw500es , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player