Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread - Page 61 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1801 of 3604 Old 01-29-2014, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just watched my first movie on the 600... Disney's Oz. What an amazing machine...
Craig Peer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 3604 Old 01-30-2014, 07:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.T. Guitar View Post

Just watched my first movie on the 600... Disney's Oz. What an amazing machine...

You are not the first person to say this. It does throw a nice image. smile.gif
J.T. Guitar likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #1803 of 3604 Old 01-30-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Andreas. No one thinks you are an idiot.

I am the idiot for not understanding what you guys were talking about. Seegs was just trying to explain to me by sort of saying some of the posts might not have been clear. he wasn't picking on you.

I am quite willing to be the pickee here if one is needed.

Mark Haflich

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #1804 of 3604 Old 01-30-2014, 01:10 PM

Liked: 19
Criminy this is a busy thread... I'm not sure what current forum etiquette is these days re: new thread vs posting in the "official/owners" type master threads, but I'll try here again first:

What's the consensus re: convergence over time on this unit? Specifically, how long does it take yours to "warm up" so that the convergence stops drifting. Mine takes about 10 minutes for the alignment to tighten up, but it seems to continue to drift subtly until it's been on for at least 20 minutes or so. Beyond that, it's solid as a rock, even after a 4+ hour double-feature. I'm just curious about what other owners are encountering on this front.

[2007]Supporter of both HD DVD and Blu-ray - a win/win solution.[/2007] [2008]... erm...  Say... anyone wanna buy some HD-DVDs?[/2008]

post #1805 of 3604 Old 01-30-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Coupe View Post

Criminy this is a busy thread... I'm not sure what current forum etiquette is these days re: new thread vs posting in the "official/owners" type master threads, but I'll try here again first:

What's the consensus re: convergence over time on this unit? Specifically, how long does it take yours to "warm up" so that the convergence stops drifting. Mine takes about 10 minutes for the alignment to tighten up, but it seems to continue to drift subtly until it's been on for at least 20 minutes or so. Beyond that, it's solid as a rock, even after a 4+ hour double-feature. I'm just curious about what other owners are encountering on this front.

Same...
post #1806 of 3604 Old 01-30-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Has anyone figured out how to direct access the various screen formats/aspect ratios in the 600? I have a Control4 system connected to the projector and am only able to select the desired aspect ratio by scrolling through all of the options!

R 8:28

post #1807 of 3604 Old 01-30-2014, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Coupe View Post

Same here too, but.....I see the best picture around the 30 minute mark. I believe it is a bit of convergence, the lamp has warmed up completely and possibly our eyes have adjusted to the low light of a theater. The most significant corrections certainly do happen in the first 15-20 minutes though.
post #1808 of 3604 Old 01-30-2014, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This post is about the movies on the 4K server. I hope it's ok to post it here since most of you have seen or will see them.

I have watched my first 2 movies on the 500ES and am quite impressed. As some have pointed out, the quality of the 4K movies that come 'free' on the server vary quite a bit! The first movie I watched was "That's my Boy". It looked GREAT! I then watched ' The Other Guys" -- not so great! It was pretty grainy and not nearly as crisp as "That's my Boy".

Has anyone seen "Captain Phillips" yet? Would you consider it to be one of the better 4K transfers? On a side note, when you rent a movie on the 4K server, can you watch it immediately or do you have to wait for it to download entirely? I believe it's a 24 hour rental period.... does the clock start after the download completes or when you start playing the movie? Or am I off there?
post #1809 of 3604 Old 01-31-2014, 09:54 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln_husker View Post

This post is about the movies on the 4K server. I hope it's ok to post it here since most of you have seen or will see them.

I have watched my first 2 movies on the 500ES and am quite impressed. As some have pointed out, the quality of the 4K movies that come 'free' on the server vary quite a bit! The first movie I watched was "That's my Boy". It looked GREAT! I then watched ' The Other Guys" -- not so great! It was pretty grainy and not nearly as crisp as "That's my Boy".

Has anyone seen "Captain Phillips" yet? Would you consider it to be one of the better 4K transfers? On a side note, when you rent a movie on the 4K server, can you watch it immediately or do you have to wait for it to download entirely? I believe it's a 24 hour rental period.... does the clock start after the download completes or when you start playing the movie? Or am I off there?

Happy to know you own a 500ES and can access the server. I'm going to do the same at some point, I believe I know what has to be done outside the US to make this work.
post #1810 of 3604 Old 01-31-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post

Why do you think I don´t know what you are talking about, why do all of you guys think I am an idiot?? What you are talking about is the panels responsetime and I know DLP is superior at this, but what I am saying is with 24hz material and no FI activated I dont see the big difference in motionhandeling between a hig end DLP and a high end SXRD. If you play a motionresolution testimage the result is quite different and it is clear the DLP is better than SXRD at this, but I don´t watch testpatterns I watch movies. When it comes to 3D the faster responsetime of the DLP really comes to make the big difference, but I don´t have a big interest for 3D and if I had I would have a DLP machine in my HT to show the 3D.smile.gif

Hey Andreas21 , I absolutly dont think you are a idiot,

On the contrary, I enjoy your posts and are mostly completely agree with your observations. Besides IMO, you are an asset in here, as you have much experience and own / owned / have access to a lot of fine and exclusive projectorer / screens etc. - definitely appreciated here ! smile.gif

But it also applies to Segs108, which also has plenty of projection experience, but perhaps(?) a slightly different preference (DLP's - which is understandably, they are generally good, especially for 3D, but have other small weaknesses IMO ) - but for example. a super Lumis 3D - would I not say no to biggrin.gif, probably wink.gif - as I have not seen one yet, unfortunately).

dj
post #1811 of 3604 Old 01-31-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post

Does the 500/600 have a HIDE button?

Sorry redface.gif, a HIDE button , what do it do ?

dj
post #1812 of 3604 Old 01-31-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post

Sorry redface.gif, a HIDE button , what do it do ?

dj

A HIDE button blocks the picture from the screen. All the JVCs have a HIDE button on the remote for this.

Looks like Sony does not include this.....mad.gif

Murray Thompson

post #1813 of 3604 Old 01-31-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Liked: 264
Why would one need a hide button? I'm just curious - I've never had a need for one.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #1814 of 3604 Old 01-31-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Why would one need a hide button? I'm just curious - I've never had a need for one.

Was trying to rack my brain why one would need this....but had a light bulb moment....say one of you're friends brought some 'Adult' material and you guys sat down for some viewing(for pure research reasons) wink.gif........then your pre teens walked in.......biggrin.gif

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
post #1815 of 3604 Old 01-31-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

It is great for checking to see whether the projector has been setup to put out its minimum light level for all black images. Just input a full black image then toggle between Hide and not. If the images change then the projector isn't setup to take full advantage of the on/off CR that is possible with it.

There are other ways to check that, but this is a pretty reliable one.

It could also be used for checking a projector for stuck on pixels without inputting a test pattern, but at that point a person would probably want to check for stuck off pixels, so would need a test pattern for that anyway.

I haven't used it for this, but I did take a projector for a family function once where I put it on a coffee table and one little kid kept wanting to look in the lens, so I had to watch closely and try to block the lens or keep them away. A hide button could have been useful for every time they headed that direction or until everybody was ready to watch the movie. Pretty limited there, but I do like having the Hide button as an easy way to verify the black level setting.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #1816 of 3604 Old 01-31-2014, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highjinx View Post

Was trying to rack my brain why one would need this....but had a light bulb moment....say one of you're friends brought some 'Adult' material and you guys sat down for some viewing(for pure research reasons) wink.gif........then your pre teens walked in.......biggrin.gif

Or, your mom
post #1817 of 3604 Old 01-31-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

A HIDE button is useful when you A/B a projector, as you don't have to tape stuff in front of the lens to make sure it's not displaying anything when you test the other display. It also allows you to switch instantly between the two pictures if the other PJ has a HIDE function too.
If the non-JVCs had a hide button they would likely ruin the on/off CR of the JVC comparing that way. That is, assuming that the projector isn't physically blocked and so is raising the black floor of the images.

I do like that it can make it easier to physically block the other projector without light bouncing around and lighting up the screen.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #1818 of 3604 Old 01-31-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

If the non-JVCs had a hide button they would likely ruin the on/off CR of the JVC comparing that way. That is, assuming that the projector isn't physically blocked and so it raising the black floor of the images.

--Darin

Good point!

I love the JVC "hide" button. I use it sometimes for doing demos (I often like to have no image on the screen at all, until I reveal it), and sometimes I use it simply to get my eyes (and the audience's eyes) used to the dark quickly,
so when an actual image comes on it feels bright and vibrant. I also used it to compare my older RS20 to my RS55 at one point, though the issue mentioned above could have come into play.

Rich H

post #1819 of 3604 Old 01-31-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Liked: 264
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highjinx View Post

Was trying to rack my brain why one would need this....but had a light bulb moment....say one of you're friends brought some 'Adult' material and you guys sat down for some viewing(for pure research reasons) wink.gif........then your pre teens walked in.......

Or, your mom

smile.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #1820 of 3604 Old 01-31-2014, 04:47 PM

Is noone of you guys pissed off like me that motion flow (except dark frame insertion via impulse which darkens the picture) is not working with 4k material?! It absolutely kills me when I watch the puck! Sony should definitely release a firmware upgrade! I do not need reality creation on 4k material, would rather use the processor power for motion flow...! Opinions please...
post #1821 of 3604 Old 01-31-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Not going to happen. Way too much processing power required. A huge amount. RC doesn't use that much.

Mark Haflich

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #1822 of 3604 Old 01-31-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post

A HIDE button blocks the picture from the screen. All the JVCs have a HIDE button on the remote for this.

Looks like Sony does not include this.....mad.gif

Okay, RapalloAV ( and your other guy´s ) , here is some bonus info wink.gifbiggrin.gif

( Im not 100% sure ( only 99% tongue.gif ) about the 500/600ES, but I think its the same, because thats how it Works on the 1000ES, 95ES etc. )
The remote control included with Projector nowadays, dosnt have any button for "HIDE Picture", BUT the projector DO have the function smile.gif, ( Sony calls it "pic mute" ) and if you have and old Sony projector remote control, you can find the button on it, and it do Work on the new ones too.

Or if you have an tablet etc. you can download the remote control app for Sony projectores, which has the "pic mute" button as standard.

dj
post #1823 of 3604 Old 01-31-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by espny View Post

Is noone of you guys pissed off like me that motion flow (except dark frame insertion via impulse which darkens the picture) is not working with 4k material?! It absolutely kills me when I watch the puck! Sony should definitely release a firmware upgrade! I do not need reality creation on 4k material, would rather use the processor power for motion flow...! Opinions please...

Agree completly , but as Mark says, it probely dosnt have the proccessing power to interpolate additional frames in 4K ( sadly, I think nor do the 1000 upgrade or the 1100 have it either - that would have been nice )

dj
post #1824 of 3604 Old 01-31-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Just got my 600ES running.

Went online today to order the 2 pair of free 3D glasses with voucher from the PJ and find that Sony Store.com no longer carries the offered glasses and has no comparable offering.

I didn't have time to call customer service during business hours.

Curious what any of y'all have done??

post #1825 of 3604 Old 01-31-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdfein View Post

Just got my 600ES running.

Went online today to order the 2 pair of free 3D glasses with voucher from the PJ and find that Sony Store.com no longer carries the offered glasses and has no comparable offering.

I didn't have time to call customer service during business hours.

Curious what any of y'all have done??

I ordered them yesterday... I couldn't get them to come up on in the store either. I had to poke around a bit. But did a site search and found a link that allowed me the put them in the cart. Wish I could be more specific, but I don't remember exactly where I found it. Just search for "active 3D".
post #1826 of 3604 Old 01-31-2014, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, I just doubled checked my box and I can't find a voucher anywhere for the 3D glasses. Did I get shafted?
post #1827 of 3604 Old 01-31-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

It's a tiny 4" * 2" coupon in blue with a code on it like a digital copy movie. Mine was near the small owners guide and DVD that was in the box.

post #1828 of 3604 Old 01-31-2014, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Checked one more time and no, its not in there. Only power cord, batteries, cd rom and quick owners guide, and warranty taped to top of the projector.

However, it sounds like from others, that the Xpand 105s are better to get. Maybe Mike will chime in on this.
post #1829 of 3604 Old 02-01-2014, 02:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Andreas. No one thinks you are an idiot.

I am the idiot for not understanding what you guys were talking about. Seegs was just trying to explain to me by sort of saying some of the posts might not have been clear. he wasn't picking on you.

I am quite willing to be the pickee here if one is needed.

Thank you Mark, but I don´t see why you should be picked on with your status on this forum. And also thank you d.j!smile.gif

Next week I am picking up the VW500 and JVCX500 and hopefully the X700 soon and I will have a small shootout with the Sony HW55,VW500, VW1000, JVC X500 and X700, I think it will be quite fun.smile.gif

And d.j I have not seen the SuperLumis , but I have seen the Lumis 3DS and it will be alot cheaper to keep your VW1000 witch has better 2D and buy a good DLP for 3D and you will have a better and much cheaper solution than the SuperLumis.
lincoln_husker likes this.

Regards
Andreas

post #1830 of 3604 Old 02-01-2014, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post

Agree completly , but as Mark says, it probely dosnt have the proccessing power to interpolate additional frames in 4K ( sadly, I think nor do the 1000 upgrade or the 1100 have it either - that would have been nice )

dj

Well where is all the processor power going then? If we are not using reality creation in 4k there is every cpu power left to use, at least some kind of slow motion flow, maybe 48hz? Impulse motion flow is useless to me as reality creation is in 4k. Come on Sony, FIRMWARE UPGRADE PLEASE!!!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw500es , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page