Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 4229 Old 11-13-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
d.j.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow39 View Post

Here are the last set of close up's until I get some more practise. Hopefully Zombie will get his 600es soon to compare to his 1000es soon to give you much better pics to demonstrate what these great projectors can really do.

This last set really showed me that I need to get a new screen with a finer texture. The Stewart 1.7 is just not suited for the Sony vw500, it has to many sparkles, you can really see the texture in the screen, it just takes away from the beautiful image it can show. So for those that have asked about pairing the 500/600es with the Stewart 1.7 I would say don't do it, it would be a big mistake, unless all your going to do is watch 3D movies then go for it. As long as you don't need a motorized tab-tensioned screen and you want a very high gain I would go for the HP 2.4 screen, I'm sure Zombie(Jason) will be able to give his impressions more though since he has this screen in his set-up.


Actully, I think Z10K has the old version ( with 2.8 gain ) and it is different from then the 2.4 gain screen - Jason, correct me, if Im wrong redface.gif

dj
d.j. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 4229 Old 11-13-2013, 02:00 PM
Member
 
shadow39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes your right he has a 142" 2.8 HP screen.
shadow39 is offline  
post #183 of 4229 Old 11-13-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
whitetrash66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,056
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have the 133" 2.4 hi power screen. Projector should be here tomorrow. I will update with thoughts. I love the 2.4 with the VW95 I have now.
whitetrash66 is offline  
post #184 of 4229 Old 11-13-2013, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow39 View Post

I finally got to try out 3D last night but only had about 45 mins so just watched Hubble 3D. I had to use the Sony TDG-BT500a glasses as the monstervision/optoma glasses that I used with me HW50 won't work at all with the 500es. The 500es only puts out a RF signal and it's incompatible with these brand of glasses. If anyone has any ideas on how to make these work let me know. The new Sony glasses are not bad, they are light and not to uncomfortable to wear but the way they designed the lenses let to much outside light in. They were very east to sync to the unit though, about 5 seconds and when they sync up for the first time a brief message will appear on screen so nice touch. Only other thing is they are battery operated so I would have preferred rechargeable but that would have made them a touch heavier but something I would prefer.

As for watching the 3D movie I'm very happy with what I saw. I felt it was slightly brighter than the HW50 and put out a great image. The image had a slight flicker or judder motion to it but motion flow was off so I put it to smooth low and that made it much better. When watching 3D the motion flow feature only allows it to be off, smooth low and smooth high, the other options are not available. There was slight ghosting on certain images like when they put up a caption with white lettering to say who the astronaut. I really want to try some scenes from movies that Zombie has documented as being tough, I have a large collection so if anyone has a particular scene tested let me know. I will say more about 3D once I have watched more but I know I will be quite happy with how the 500es will perform. I do want to try a few other pairs of glasses and believe Panasonic and Samsung RF ones will work as well so will try them out soon and report back.

The 500 is supposed to be RF or IR so should work with your old glasses, you may just need a IR transmitter.

My 500 was shipped today, hoping to have for the weekend. I also ordered the anamorphic lens too, so should have my hands full for a while. I've seen enough screen shot pictures to see the difference , I believe it is worth the jump. Anyway, paid for and on the way
I will be setting up over the weekend I hope. If it does not arrive until Monday I have to wait a week as I have meetings in Los Angeles .
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #185 of 4229 Old 11-13-2013, 05:48 PM
Member
 
shadow39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post

The 500 is supposed to be RF or IR so should work with your old glasses, you may just need a IR transmitter.

My 500 was shipped today, hoping to have for the weekend. I also ordered the anamorphic lens too, so should have my hands full for a while. I've seen enough screen shot pictures to see the difference , I believe it is worth the jump. Anyway, paid for and on the way
I will be setting up over the weekend I hope. If it does not arrive until Monday I have to wait a week as I have meetings in Los Angeles .

Sorry to break the news to you but the Sony VPL-VW500es does only RF there is no built in IR sensor and no port to plug in an external emitter. When you get yours you will see right on page 15 first paragraph it says you can enjoy 3D images, such as from 3D games and 3D Blu-ray Discs, using the optional active 3D glasses(TDG-BT500A). I have just ordered a pair of Panasonic TY-ER3D4MU 3D glasses to see if they will sync up and to see if they are any more comfortable. I also like that they are rechargeable and the design is better at keeping outside light out from reaching your eyes.

Congrats on ordering the 500es though and hope you get it by the weekend you should really enjoy it. Which anamorphic lens are you going to be using with it? Just remember it will only do vertical stretch on content 1080p and less, it won't do 3840x2160 or 4096x 2160. But there's not much 4K content out yet but something you should be aware of. To do the vertical/squeeze you will need an external video processor for that.
slots1 likes this.
shadow39 is offline  
post #186 of 4229 Old 11-13-2013, 06:02 PM
Member
 
shadow39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Call Stewart. This should be covered under warranty. I have seen it once before on a 14 ft wide electric stewart with 130 Studeotec. The solution was to leave the screen down at night. The screen was only used a small amount of the time, and a fixed frame 12 wide behind it was the primary screen. Leaving the screen down for some time got rid of the creases. There are other things that can help. Call Scott Kimber at Stewart. Another thing you might stop the retraction before the batten bar gets a chance to rest on the rolled up fabric.

Just wanted to say thanks for the suggestions Mark. I only use the screen once a week for a few hours so that makes sense and the only reason I don't leave it down for a long time right now is I have it installed in my family room and have a 3 year old so I wouldn't trust her lol. We're redoing our family room in the next week so I have decided to keep the Stewart and add a second screen that's a 2.35 120" with a 4K material just for 2D images. So I won't have use of my 500es after Sunday for about a week.
shadow39 is offline  
post #187 of 4229 Old 11-13-2013, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow39 View Post

Just wanted to say thanks for the suggestions Mark. I only use the screen once a week for a few hours so that makes sense and the only reason I don't leave it down for a long time right now is I have it installed in my family room and have a 3 year old so I wouldn't trust her lol. We're redoing our family room in the next week so I have decided to keep the Stewart and add a second screen that's a 2.35 120" with a 4K material just for 2D images. So I won't have use of my 500es after Sunday for about a week.

If you were going to sell the Stewart I would have offered to take it from you. It is electric ,the exact size I would have ordered and the material was something I had considered. A 2.2 gain would probably be better, I'll just have to wait and see now. Will try what I have and then
decide later .

BTW, did you notice the texture on the screen with a 3D image ? It should have blended very well, that is what this material was designed for really .

Too bad about the 3D glasses, I have 4 pairs of Sony originasl and 6 pairs of the PS3 . The dealer told me the original would work as would RF, not sure how he messed that up. Anyway, the train has left the station already, no turning back now. biggrin.gif
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #188 of 4229 Old 11-14-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 12,099
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Question about the Lens Memory feature:

How many lens memory pre-sets does the Sony allow?

My JVC RS55 offers 3 lens memory pre-set sizes (user configured), and my upcoming RS57 will allow 10 pre-set sizes. For my situation, running a Variable Image Size system, the more lens memory pre-sets the merrier so I'm wondering what Sony offers in their 4K projectors.
R Harkness is offline  
post #189 of 4229 Old 11-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow39 View Post

Sorry to break the news to you but the Sony VPL-VW500es does only RF there is no built in IR sensor and no port to plug in an external emitter. When you get yours you will see right on page 15 first paragraph it says you can enjoy 3D images, such as from 3D games and 3D Blu-ray Discs, using the optional active 3D glasses(TDG-BT500A). I have just ordered a pair of Panasonic TY-ER3D4MU 3D glasses to see if they will sync up and to see if they are any more comfortable. I also like that they are rechargeable and the design is better at keeping outside light out from reaching your eyes.

Congrats on ordering the 500es though and hope you get it by the weekend you should really enjoy it. Which anamorphic lens are you going to be using with it? Just remember it will only do vertical stretch on content 1080p and less, it won't do 3840x2160 or 4096x 2160. But there's not much 4K content out yet but something you should be aware of. To do the vertical/squeeze you will need an external video processor for that.

Just did a little more searching and one of the optional devices showing for the the 500ES is a external IR transmitter part number TMR-PJ2 . Fingers are crossed that this can be added to the 500 so we can retain the old
glasses. If the newer style is better I will certainly upgrade but at least there is hope for this option. confused.gif

I know you have decided to keep the Stewart 170 screen and add a second for 2D......smart move, I will likely do the same. Just wondering though how the 170 worked out for 3D . Did you notice the texture, was it bright enough etc.?? Unless the 170 is REALLY good
I will probably go with a 2.2 Vutec or the BD 2.7 gain. At least it will work for the odd game night too with the lights on.
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #190 of 4229 Old 11-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Member
 
shadow39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Question about the Lens Memory feature:

How many lens memory pre-sets does the Sony allow?

My JVC RS55 offers 3 lens memory pre-set sizes (user configured), and my upcoming RS57 will allow 10 pre-set sizes. For my situation, running a Variable Image Size system, the more lens memory pre-sets the merrier so I'm wondering what Sony offers in their 4K projectors.

It can store up to 5 combinations of lens settings and aspect ratio.
shadow39 is offline  
post #191 of 4229 Old 11-14-2013, 11:11 AM
Member
 
shadow39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post

Just did a little more searching and one of the optional devices showing for the the 500ES is a external IR transmitter part number TMR-PJ2 . Fingers are crossed that this can be added to the 500 so we can retain the old
glasses. If the newer style is better I will certainly upgrade but at least there is hope for this option. confused.gif

I know you have decided to keep the Stewart 170 screen and add a second for 2D......smart move, I will likely do the same. Just wondering though how the 170 worked out for 3D . Did you notice the texture, was it bright enough etc.?? Unless the 170 is REALLY good
I will probably go with a 2.2 Vutec or the BD 2.7 gain. At least it will work for the odd game night too with the lights on.

Yeah I have a TMR-PJ2 available to me and did try it, but you only have one port available to plug into and that's the LAN port which is what I tried but didn't do anything. There might be a setting in the service menu or even in the user menu but I haven't looked yet.

As far as the Stewart 1.7 for 3D I didn't notice any texture or sparkles with glasses on but that should be expected. It looked fine to my eyes. As far as brightness goes it was pretty good but I have not seen 3D on a higher gain screen than mine so can't make a comparison for you, sorry.
shadow39 is offline  
post #192 of 4229 Old 11-14-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 12,099
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow39 View Post

It can store up to 5 combinations of lens settings and aspect ratio.

Thanks shadow!

That's not bad. Better at least than the 3 I was expecting.

One thing I haven't tried yet is setting up macro commands on my remote for a wider variety of lens memory pre-sets. In other words, a macro would first choose the memory pre-set size closest to the image size I want, and then once the original lens memory function completes, the macro sends out some more commands to further nudge the zoom/shift to the desired image size. I'll try it first on my JVC and if it works it may bode well for the Sony. (Not that anyone else would really care I suppose, since I'm one of the few doing this approach...but if I switch to Sony in the future it might be a bummer for me to get used to the JVC's 10 lens memory settings vs the Sony's 5 settings).
R Harkness is offline  
post #193 of 4229 Old 11-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow39 View Post

Yeah I have a TMR-PJ2 available to me and did try it, but you only have one port available to plug into and that's the LAN port which is what I tried but didn't do anything. There might be a setting in the service menu or even in the user menu but I haven't looked yet.

As far as the Stewart 1.7 for 3D I didn't notice any texture or sparkles with glasses on but that should be expected. It looked fine to my eyes. As far as brightness goes it was pretty good but I have not seen 3D on a higher gain screen than mine so can't make a comparison for you, sorry.

If the brightest picture in 3D didn't look dim in comparison to a lower lamp mode in 2D then it is probably not too bad. I personally find 3D dim as viewed on the same screen . Here is a screen shot of my screen( 1.37 gain Solar 4K) with a patch of BD 2.7 hung in the middle.

roxiedog13 is offline  
post #194 of 4229 Old 11-14-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Posts: 5,611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
If the brightest picture in 3D didn't look dim in comparison to a lower lamp mode in 2D then it is probably not too bad. I personally find 3D dim as viewed on the same screen . Here is a screen shot of my screen( 1.37 gain Solar 4K) with a patch of BD 2.7 hung in the middle.

Obviously you need a 2nd higher gain screen for 3D then.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Craig Peer is offline  
post #195 of 4229 Old 11-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Obviously you need a 2nd higher gain screen for 3D then.

Yes sir, that is on the agenda for sure. I am going to receive my 500ES tomorrow and will see how that looks first. Next I will add the anamorphic lens( should have in a week) and try that as well. Cannot try 3D with the anamorphic in stretch until
Lumagen ( or others ) put out a 4K processor that can stretch. Hoping this will be early in the new year. Once this is all setup and calibrated I will tackle the screen. I'm guessing it will take a screen gain of 2.2 - 2.7 to make up the 75% loss from
the active glasses. Also will consider the 1.7 gain reflections 170 3D and the DIY SilverFire screen paint.......if it is as good as I'm told.

First I have to play with the new projector all weekend. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #196 of 4229 Old 11-14-2013, 03:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Roland Janus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post

Yes sir, that is on the agenda for sure. I am going to receive my 500ES tomorrow and will see how that looks first. Next I will add the anamorphic lens( should have in a week) and try that as well. Cannot try 3D with the anamorphic in stretch until
Lumagen ( or others ) put out a 4K processor that can stretch. Hoping this will be early in the new year. Once this is all setup and calibrated I will tackle the screen. I'm guessing it will take a screen gain of 2.2 - 2.7 to make up the 75% loss from
the active glasses. Also will consider the 1.7 gain reflections 170 3D and the DIY SilverFire screen paint.......if it is as good as I'm told.

First I have to play with the new projector all weekend. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Guys, all that talk about high(er) gains on screen makes me wonder if I should change?
I epxect to get myself one of those, replacing my PT-AE5000.
But currently I use a 120" draper, motorizez, tension screen. Have it for a while, still very good condition, but I guess has not much more then 1.2 gain. Was good with 2D, but of course rather dim with 3D.

My room, living room!, can be made very dark, side walls are black (curtains when doing home cinema), but white cealing.

Should I seriously consider replacing my screen?

-Roland
Roland Janus is offline  
post #197 of 4229 Old 11-14-2013, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Janus View Post

Guys, all that talk about high(er) gains on screen makes me wonder if I should change?
I epxect to get myself one of those, replacing my PT-AE5000.
But currently I use a 120" draper, motorizez, tension screen. Have it for a while, still very good condition, but I guess has not much more then 1.2 gain. Was good with 2D, but of course rather dim with 3D.

My room, living room!, can be made very dark, side walls are black (curtains when doing home cinema), but white cealing.

Should I seriously consider replacing my screen?

-Roland

Roland,
If the 120" is diagonal and 16:9 aspect that is really large size screen to light up for 3D. If you are keeping the projector you have I'd say either one high gain screen or add a second high gain screen for 3D only.
Check out the other 500ES thread, Chris has a 2.8HP screen that is amazing in my opinion. Problem with the 2.8 HP is that it is retro reflective so the PJ has to be mounted close to the middle of the screen. If you could do
that I'd say that would be a good option.
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #198 of 4229 Old 11-14-2013, 05:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Roland Janus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post

Roland,
If the 120" is diagonal and 16:9 aspect that is really large size screen to light up for 3D. If you are keeping the projector you have I'd say either one high gain screen or add a second high gain screen for 3D only.
Check out the other 500ES thread, Chris has a 2.8HP screen that is amazing in my opinion. Problem with the 2.8 HP is that it is retro reflective so the PJ has to be mounted close to the middle of the screen. If you could do
that I'd say that would be a good option.

I actually am pretty sure I get the one from this topic smile.gif, just following up a bit more what's going on here and looking for reviews.
Still a higher gain?

That would be rather expensive, since it has to be pull down, well, let's say motorized and I guess also tensioned.
And then I need to put that in front of the other? Not really that much appealing. I guess the focus change due the distance change is fine, stored in memory, but still two screens after each other?

Is there a reason to replace the current one with a higher gain one just for 2D?
Higher gain just for 3D?

-Roland
Roland Janus is offline  
post #199 of 4229 Old 11-14-2013, 06:02 PM
VGI
Advanced Member
 
VGI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Question about the Lens Memory feature:

How many lens memory pre-sets does the Sony allow?

My JVC RS55 offers 3 lens memory pre-set sizes (user configured), and my upcoming RS57 will allow 10 pre-set sizes. For my situation, running a Variable Image Size system, the more lens memory pre-sets the merrier so I'm wondering what Sony offers in their 4K projectors.

Manual Shows 5 completely separate memory settings smile.gif

Craig

Craig Shumer
Theatermax.com
20 years of high end audio
Theta Digitals World Supreme Dealer
VGI is offline  
post #200 of 4229 Old 11-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Janus View Post

I actually am pretty sure I get the one from this topic smile.gif, just following up a bit more what's going on here and looking for reviews.
Still a higher gain?

That would be rather expensive, since it has to be pull down, well, let's say motorized and I guess also tensioned.
And then I need to put that in front of the other? Not really that much appealing. I guess the focus change due the distance change is fine, stored in memory, but still two screens after each other?

Is there a reason to replace the current one with a higher gain one just for 2D?
Higher gain just for 3D?

-Roland

Not quite sure I understand what you mean in the first sentence, maybe you could clarfity ??

The screen you have should be OK for 2D, it will not be bright enough for 3D. To be sure could you tell me what is the aspect ratio of your current screen, the actual size and the throw distance from the projector lens
to the screen. If you give me this information I can run the numbers on the Projector Central calculator and determine what foot lamberts you might expect for normal viewing in 2D and 3D.

There is not reason to replace your current screen for 2D at all it will be fine. You should only need higher gain for 3D . With to screens you can have the best of both, if you choose one screen only
you will have to compromise somewhere .
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #201 of 4229 Old 11-14-2013, 08:41 PM
wse
AVS Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 7,052
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Call me next week. Looking like this is going to be my next projector. smile.gif
Anybody near me that wants to come see it, let me know.

Can I come by!
wse is offline  
post #202 of 4229 Old 11-14-2013, 11:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
Drexler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 950
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Janus View Post


That would be rather expensive, since it has to be pull down, well, let's say motorized and I guess also tensioned.
And then I need to put that in front of the other? Not really that much appealing. I guess the focus change due the distance change is fine, stored in memory, but still two screens after each other?

-Roland
The HP pulldown screens are very cheap and dont need tab tensioning. The material is stiff and not suited for tensioning and the retroreflective gain renders waves invisible. I have two pulldowns mounted on my wall, one 1.78:1 and one 2.40:1 to get rid of the black bars. Will buy a fixed frame stewart neve screen for 2d viewing when i move next month but keep my HPs in front of it for the 3D brightness. IMHO pulldown HPs are a great option for 3D viewing if you can mount the pj to take advantage of the gain.
Drexler is online now  
post #203 of 4229 Old 11-15-2013, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexler View Post

The HP pulldown screens are very cheap and dont need tab tensioning. The material is stiff and not suited for tensioning and the retroreflective gain renders waves invisible. I have two pulldowns mounted on my wall, one 1.78:1 and one 2.40:1 to get rid of the black bars. Will buy a fixed frame stewart neve screen for 2d viewing when i move next month but keep my HPs in front of it for the 3D brightness. IMHO pulldown HPs are a great option for 3D viewing if you can mount the pj to take advantage of the gain.

I have a spare pulldown HP screen. Good material for cheap
blee0120 is offline  
post #204 of 4229 Old 11-15-2013, 02:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Roland Janus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post

Not quite sure I understand what you mean in the first sentence, maybe you could clarfity ??

The screen you have should be OK for 2D, it will not be bright enough for 3D. To be sure could you tell me what is the aspect ratio of your current screen, the actual size and the throw distance from the projector lens
to the screen. If you give me this information I can run the numbers on the Projector Central calculator and determine what foot lamberts you might expect for normal viewing in 2D and 3D.

There is not reason to replace your current screen for 2D at all it will be fine. You should only need higher gain for 3D . With to screens you can have the best of both, if you choose one screen only
you will have to compromise somewhere .

I just meant I most likely get the new Sony.

The screen is 120" diagonal, 16:9 and I could use the closest distance for the Sony, 3m something, about 10feet. I recall that's the closest for that size.
I use about that currently with the Panasonic and I figured the closest gives me most light, would go with that with the Sony.

Screen: that's what I thought, 3D is the issue with the current screen.

-Roland
Roland Janus is offline  
post #205 of 4229 Old 11-15-2013, 02:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Roland Janus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexler View Post

The HP pulldown screens are very cheap and dont need tab tensioning. The material is stiff and not suited for tensioning and the retroreflective gain renders waves invisible. I have two pulldowns mounted on my wall, one 1.78:1 and one 2.40:1 to get rid of the black bars. Will buy a fixed frame stewart neve screen for 2d viewing when i move next month but keep my HPs in front of it for the 3D brightness. IMHO pulldown HPs are a great option for 3D viewing if you can mount the pj to take advantage of the gain.

Considering putting up a 2nd screen... smile.gif

btw: would the surface play a role when displaing 4k?
Sure, it's only upscaled for now, but could the screen also be the limiting factor for even showing that?
2D and 3D (in case I get one just for that?

-Roland
Roland Janus is offline  
post #206 of 4229 Old 11-15-2013, 02:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Roland Janus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I have a spare pulldown HP screen. Good material for cheap

You're selling it... ? smile.gif

To expensive. To Switerland...

-Roland
Roland Janus is offline  
post #207 of 4229 Old 11-15-2013, 03:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
Drexler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 950
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
A 119' diagonal pulldown HP shipped from the US but ordered through the Danish importer costed me 880 Euros incl. shipping, taxes and custom fee's when I bought it 2 years ago.

The HP screen looks very sharp and shouldn't have any problems displaying 4K. Look in the forum for more info, there are several guys who combines it with the VW1000. I think Millerwill is one them. The HP has a slight structure that is visible in bright pans, but for 3D that's definitely worth the tradeoff for more brightness. It has a smooth surface, no sparklies, doesn't hotspot and is very bright when viewed from a position close to the projector. Drawbacks are a narrow viewing zone and slight structure this is visible occasionally and those are the reasons why I will change screens for 2D. For 3D the other options are just too dim or hotspot and throw sparklies like crazy.
Drexler is online now  
post #208 of 4229 Old 11-15-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
whitetrash66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,056
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Alright, after messing around with my projector for a while and watching about 4 hours of 2D only material, i can weigh in on my thoughts compared to my VW95ES.

First off, this sucker is much MUCH thicker. I was thinking that a guy could swap it with an older sony unit and not be "caught" by his significant other... fat chance.

FWIW i have a 133" Dalite Hi Power 2.4 screen, and my projector is about 6.25 feet above my seated head. The picture that this thing throws is much MUCH brighter than my vw95. In low lamp mode, i'm pretty sure its nearly twice as bright as my old VW95 in high lamp! it is pretty eye opening. Fed a blu ray signal from a BDP S-790, the picture is VERY sharp, but oddly enough, very smooth too. My VW95 could look rough if i had the sharpening or Darbee too high, but it would look sharp still. But noisy. This projector, i set the sharpness to 20 and the reality creation to 50 (!) for detail enhancement and 0 for noise reduction. The picture is almost unbelievably sharp, but stays nice and smooth, no noise.

Motionflow modes are different, and i find i like TRUE CINEMA or COMBINATION. Both are very smooth with NO flicker. My VW95ES had flicker with the cinema black pro and a 24 fps source, but there is no annoying flicker here at all.

As for black level, well, i'm still messing with the settings, but using the FULL RANGE as the iris setting makes the projector look much better than my VW95 contrast wise. I don't know why, i'd say the blacks are slightly better than the VW95, but at the same time, the brightness is probably double or more. So the image appears much more dynamic.

I have a 4K capable pc, and pics from my DSLR look crazy good. Resolution is crazy when you feed it a proper 4K source. Also, i downloaded the 4K trailer for Elysium, and although it looks good, extremely good, i don't know if it really looked all that much better than the upscaled 4K i had been watching earlier. The upscaling is so good and the picture so sharp, it honestly looks, compared to that trailer, 9-% as good i'd say, depending on content of course.

One of the most striking things was during Star Wars episode IV, during the first Vader scene, i noticed i could see everyones makeup, but specifically, i could see all the texture and paint brush marks on Vaders mask. I had a friend there with me too, and he noted that he hadn't ever seen that movie look that good.

Just a heads up, the Canadian VW500 doesn't come with any 3D glasses included. You can get them at best buy or amazon for about 50 bucks.
bweissman likes this.
whitetrash66 is offline  
post #209 of 4229 Old 11-15-2013, 06:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Roland Janus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexler View Post

A 119' diagonal pulldown HP shipped from the US but ordered through the Danish importer costed me 880 Euros incl. shipping, taxes and custom fee's when I bought it 2 years ago.

The HP screen looks very sharp and shouldn't have any problems displaying 4K. Look in the forum for more info, there are several guys who combines it with the VW1000. I think Millerwill is one them. The HP has a slight structure that is visible in bright pans, but for 3D that's definitely worth the tradeoff for more brightness. It has a smooth surface, no sparklies, doesn't hotspot and is very bright when viewed from a position close to the projector. Drawbacks are a narrow viewing zone and slight structure this is visible occasionally and those are the reasons why I will change screens for 2D. For 3D the other options are just too dim or hotspot and throw sparklies like crazy.

thanks!
I look into that

-Roland
Roland Janus is offline  
post #210 of 4229 Old 11-15-2013, 06:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Roland Janus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Janus View Post

thanks!
I look into that

-Roland

Aehm, what does HP stand for? smile.gif

-R
Roland Janus is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw500es , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off