AVS Forum banner

Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread

538K views 6K replies 392 participants last post by  mille mk 
#1 ·
Now that we have an official announcement on this projector let's start the thread for the 600ES and migrate away from the two 500ES threads.

Sony VPL-VW600ES 4K Home Theater Projector

The VPL-VW600ES home theater projector, like the VW1100 and VW1000 models offers Full Digital Cinema Initiative (DCI)-based 4096 x 2160 resolution, delivering a cinematic 4K experience. The VPL-VW600ES projector boasts 1,700 ANSI-lumens of brightness and a 200,000:1 contrast ratio. The projector has rich color reproduction thanks to TRILUMINOS™ display, an enhanced optical engine design, and auto-calibration and manual color correction features to allow installers to adjust the hue, saturation and brightness to obtain and maintain a customized picture quality. Also, meeting the latest HDMI® standard, it supports 4K native resolution at 60 frames per second. Dramatically improving the viewers’ experience, the Reality Creation engine for 4K upscaling enhances both the “Mastered in 4K” Blu-ray Discs and high definition 1080p content including 3D video.

The VPL-VW600ES sports a compact, installation-friendly design, offering technology integrators and end-users more options for placement, especially in replacement situations. New features such as front-exhaust, a 2.06x powered zoom lens, and a wide lens shift range provide further installation flexibility and remarkable performance in nearly every screening room. For 3D viewing, the VW600 includes a built in RF transmitter which conforms to the “Full HD 3D Initiative” industry standard and uses the same glasses as Sony’s 3D Bravia televisions. Available in November for $14,999.99, this projector is optimized to work with Video Unlimited 4K, which is only available in the US. It may also be purchased as a package that includes a Sony FMP-X1 4K Ultra HD Media Player and a Sony Xperia Z Tablet for $15,999.99.

“Sony knows from our experience in the custom install channel that not every screening room will be part of a new construction, but we also know that home projector enthusiasts are eager to bring 4K entertainment home,” said Andre Floyd, manager in Sony Electronics’ Home Front Projector Group. “The innovative design and proven technology in the VPL-VW600ES allows us, with our Custom Install Solutions channel partners, to deliver the cinema experience to more homes than ever before.”

Sony Press Release
http://blog.sony.com/press/cedia-2013/

Sony Datasheet
http://www.avsforum.com/attachments/72300

Sony Product Page (UK)
http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/product/projectors-homecinema/vpl-vw500es/

Although the street price is more than we all wished for, it's still looking like an attractive option for those that need to fill a big screen. I can't wait until we start seeing some reviews in the wild.

See less See more
#6,323 ·
May just be a case of switching to a different gamma setting?

#6,325 ·
I just gave my 600ES its 3rd and final lamp yesterday. With 2000 hours on the old one, it is now bright enough that I felt compelled to pop in the WOW disc and run through brightness, contrast, color, and hue. As long as I was fooling around, I did focus and panel alignment, too. Picture looks great. Then I put in Interstellar and ended up getting sucked in and watched it all the way through.

I say "3rd and final lamp" because I am working off a comment by Stacey Spears that next year (2020)'s generation of projectors will hopefully handle HDR better than the current model year (2019)'s. So I'm going for one more year on the 600 before upgrading.

But I have a question. I have occasionally run the 600's self-calibration. It seems to flash the screen correctly, but it never seems to change anything. The Before and After dE's are always the same. Is there a step I'm missing?

Attachments

#6,326 ·
When I have run self calibration, the changes are usually very minor... perhaps yours is staying in calibration... for me 2000 hours on a lamp is a little early to change it, I have been doing 2500-2700...

I just retired my 500ES (same as US 600es) and about to list it for sale, I bought a new JVC NX9.... Does the JVC look better..yes, but does it look THAT much better... well, subjective I suppose... The 500ES always threw a Nice picture... like you, I upgraded mostly for HDR...

If anyone is interested in the 500es I will be posting it here in the classifieds, or PM me. I live in the US.

#6,327 ·
I am still on my original lamp and wondering when folks are changing the lamp at around 2500hrs. Is that on high lamp mode?

#6,328 ·
Did you really mean "when"? Or maybe "why"?

I run my 600 in low lamp mode except when watching 3D or HDR discs. I find that after 2000 hours a new lamp is significantly brighter than the previous one.

If you're going to replace your lamp, I suggest not delaying the purchase. It appears the genuine Sony lamps are becoming scarce and increasing in price. US dealers were generally out of stock and I had to get my lamp shipped directly to me from Hong Kong.

#6,340 ·
I have very recently seen a dramatic shift of the Red Panel in my Sony 500ES projector. I have done the max adjustment (both globally and by zone; I am currently at -30V on red). This is a very recent phenomena and I am wondering if anyone can explain how a panel "shifts". i am now starting to see a red line above the convergence lines on the pattern used to adjust mainly on the right side of the screen. Is this caused by heat or a jar to the unit. We recently had a mild tremor (earthquake) so i was curious if that could have caused it. Finally, is there any way to further adjust via the service menu? I have never used the service menu and understand it can be very difficult to properly use.

I was hoping to get a couple more years out of the projector as the picture quality is still very good except for this most recent issue. Is this something that i could send to Sony repair shop to fix? Obviously the projector is older and spending much money on a repair would not make sense, but was looking to owners of this model to see if this has been an issue. I saw where there was some discussion about the blue panel shifting but that has not been an issue for me.

Thanks for any advice or thoughts

#6,347 ·
Well I drove 4 hours today to pick up a used Sony VPL-VW600ES. I just got finished comparing it to my Epson 5040UB, Although the resolution increase from the Sony native 4k was nice I think I'm just going to keep the Epson :) The Epson picture was much more vibrant (eco mode Bright Cinema). The Sony looked great but what really bugged me about it was I could see gray bars on each side when viewing darker scenes(scope screen 16:9 content) which where not visible with the Epson. Kind of crazy I thought the Sony's black levels would have been better than the 5040UB.

#6,349 ·
First thing to do is to do a reset on all user presets.

See if that helps.

It is difficult to know the condition of the panels in a used 600/500 without seeing it in person. It could have the dreaded 'degradation' or it may just be gamma droop that can be fixed in the Image Director software.

I recommend reading up on how to use it, or get someone in who knows how to use it if unsure.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/downloads/W0007813

You can only use the software for non HDR gamma curves, but I don't think the 600 is HDR enabled anyway. :)

#6,359 ·
The 500 was pre HDR and as such, I am not sure if it has a BT2020 setting. The 360 is a newer machine with HDR support.

Dynamic contrast for the 500 and 360 is 300,000:1 and 200,000:1 respectively.

Not sure about native, but the 360 will have newer gen panels.

View before you buy if possible.

#6,365 ·
Set my old VW500ES up in a large makeshift room in my newly build house while I get to building my new theatre room and the PJ was playing up after awhile and to me it seemed like it was getting hot.

Took the bottom plate off and found this dust from my rental where I had it placed on a shelf in a cupboard etc.

Anyway completely took off the covers and cleaned out all the dust and she is back working fine again.

#6,367 ·
Hi all,

I'm nearing 2000 hours on my original bulb for my vpl-vw500es. Can anyone recommend a place to purchase a genuine replacement LMP-H260 bulb?

It seems most blubs i am coming across are generic. Are these ones still good?

#6,368 ·
...I should also ask, is the bulb only replacement fairly straight forward? No soldering involved? I found a site previously mentioned here for replacement bulbs and i'm leaning towards this option for cost savings.

#6,369 ·
Bulbs are very easy to replace. Just need a Phillips screwdriver etc. I took my original bulb on my 500ES to 8000 hrs but my throw was 15ft.

You just have to look around if you want an original bulb cheap. I have 2 new spare ones I got off eBay last year for a third of the price I would've paid from a dealer here. I don't see any genuine ones on eBay these days but you never know.

As far as the other bulbs I have no experience at all with them so I cannot help you there.

#6,370 ·
Thanks. I was able to locate a full lamp replacement for not too much more than a bulb.

Wow 8000hrs! I am still on my original bulb so lets see if it lasts as long.

Reactions: Archibald1
#6,374 ·
Sorry I didn't see your message until now.
Read my guidance thoroughly, be careful in there and be methodical.

#6,377 ·
Do these projectors have any resale value?

I just upgraded from the 600ES to the 915ES. Do you think there's anyone who would still want a non-HDR 4K projector? Asking before I post it for sale. I doubt anyone savvy enough to be on AVS Forum would want it. I wonder who might want it and where to post it. Any suggestions?

#6,378 ·
My advice, keep hold of it for when you have to send your 915 back for whatever reason. You will be glad of a backup machine if that happens.

#6,384 ·
Hello everyone I am new to this. I am about to buy a 500es with an alignment problem for very cheap, the seller has brought it to an official technician who has quoted 1400 euro to change the whole optical group. I don't think the technician has tried to go in the submenu and to realign it but I can't be sure of it... the question is how much (roughly) in terms of millimetres you can realign the panels without taking the projector apart?
and also if it comes to taking the projector apart is there any material or guide to follow to do the manual procedure.
I may buy the pj for 200 euro plus 100 euro for the new bare bulb. so a total of about 300 euro for it, I therefore willing to take a moderate risk as if successful the machine is worth much more I upload some picture that the owner took as a reference any help is appreciated.
otherwise I can purchase a 40 es with 500 h on the original lamp for almost the same amount, should I take the risk or go for the 2k projector?

thanks a lot please do reply fast as I need to take a decision and buy ASAP
thanks a lot again
Plant Flat panel display Output device Gadget Television set
Nose Lip Chin Eyebrow Eyelash
Nose Cheek Lip Hand Window
Nose Lip Chin Eyebrow Eyelash

#6,386 ·
Hello everyone I am new to this. I am about to buy a 500es with an alignment problem for very cheap, the seller has brought it to an official technician who has quoted 1400 euro to change the whole optical group. I don't think the technician has tried to go in the submenu and to realign it but I can't be sure of it... the question is how much (roughly) in terms of millimetres you can realign the panels without taking the projector apart?
and also if it comes to taking the projector apart is there any material or guide to follow to do the manual procedure.
I may buy the pj for 200 euro plus 100 euro for the new bare bulb. so a total of about 300 euro for it, I therefore willing to take a moderate risk as if successful the machine is worth much more I upload some picture that the owner took as a reference any help is appreciated.
otherwise I can purchase a 40 es with 500 h on the original lamp for almost the same amount, should I take the risk or go for the 2k projector?

thanks a lot please do reply fast as I need to take a decision and buy ASAP
thanks a lot again View attachment 3121557 View attachment 3121556 View attachment 3121558 View attachment 3121556
You can digitally 'move' the panels both 3 pixels vertically and horizontally in the user menu. In the service menu you have more adjustment but it is more coarse.
If you need any assistance or want to know more just ask.

#6,387 ·
Looking at the images close up, you will very likely be able to improve it a fair bit, but the blue looks to be a long way out.

#6,392 · (Edited)
What makes me happiest, is that there is a VW60 out there now (I sold it on after repairing it and using it for a while), performing extremely well and that has a new lease of life because I did not want to throw it away.
Makes you wonder how much electronic equipment gets scrapped/crushed etc that would work perfectly again with just a moderate amount of effort.

I am very jealous you found one of these 4K ones that needs repair, I have been looking for one for ages to get my teeth into. :)

#6,394 ·
I would go original all the way for your viewing, generic can be okay, but it is a lottery as to what you end up getting. Some can be great, others are worse than a heavily used bulb.

#6,396 ·
Tricky.
The 500 has better contrast as it has a dynamic iris and it also has lens memories.
However it cannot accept HDR signals as is and will need them converting to SDR. (Not necessarily a bad thing).
The 295 will have full fat 18Gbps HDMI ports and supports HDR10 and HLG signals. It also will have better processing.
Whether the more modern unit is what you want or the better contrast you will get from the 500 is up to you.
View them both before deciding if you can.

#6,398 ·
Anyone out here has a problem with Ultra HD Netflix streaming via chromecast ultra to SonyVW-ES500 PJ?
I cannot seem to get 4K listings on my Netflix menu. Also the content is not 4K.

Source - Apple Iphone 8 -> chromecast Ultra -> Denon AVR X4300H -> Sony VW-Es500.

I am using HDR on, color space BT2020 and it looks smudge when I stream Netflix using this setting.

#6,399 · (Edited)
Anyone out here has a problem with Ultra HD Netflix streaming via chromecast ultra to SonyVW-ES500 PJ?
I cannot seem to get 4K listings on my Netflix menu. Also the content is not 4K.

Source - Apple Iphone 8 -> chromecast Ultra -> Denon AVR X4300H -> Sony VW-Es500.

I am using HDR on, color space BT2020 and it looks smudge when I stream Netflix using this setting.
VW500/600 does not do HDR or BT 2020 and will only display 4K in 8 bit colour.
You need to get your source/s to convert HDR to SDR/BT709*.
It should look great then.

* Edited to add, or simply watch them in 4K SDR without conversion for the best image.

Reactions: Musician
#6,403 ·
Assuming that you are looking at a used projector, I think if you can get a good price on one with either a new bulb or a healthy amount of bulb life (<1500 hours), I think the VW600ES is quite a good projector for SDR 4K. Definitely price it against HDR capable 4K projectors, however. I am now at the six-year mark with mine, and the new 4K+, HDR-capable laser JVCs are looking quite compelling to me.