AVS Forum banner

Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread

537K views 6K replies 392 participants last post by  mille mk 
#1 ·
Now that we have an official announcement on this projector let's start the thread for the 600ES and migrate away from the two 500ES threads.

Sony VPL-VW600ES 4K Home Theater Projector

The VPL-VW600ES home theater projector, like the VW1100 and VW1000 models offers Full Digital Cinema Initiative (DCI)-based 4096 x 2160 resolution, delivering a cinematic 4K experience. The VPL-VW600ES projector boasts 1,700 ANSI-lumens of brightness and a 200,000:1 contrast ratio. The projector has rich color reproduction thanks to TRILUMINOS™ display, an enhanced optical engine design, and auto-calibration and manual color correction features to allow installers to adjust the hue, saturation and brightness to obtain and maintain a customized picture quality. Also, meeting the latest HDMI® standard, it supports 4K native resolution at 60 frames per second. Dramatically improving the viewers’ experience, the Reality Creation engine for 4K upscaling enhances both the “Mastered in 4K” Blu-ray Discs and high definition 1080p content including 3D video.

The VPL-VW600ES sports a compact, installation-friendly design, offering technology integrators and end-users more options for placement, especially in replacement situations. New features such as front-exhaust, a 2.06x powered zoom lens, and a wide lens shift range provide further installation flexibility and remarkable performance in nearly every screening room. For 3D viewing, the VW600 includes a built in RF transmitter which conforms to the “Full HD 3D Initiative” industry standard and uses the same glasses as Sony’s 3D Bravia televisions. Available in November for $14,999.99, this projector is optimized to work with Video Unlimited 4K, which is only available in the US. It may also be purchased as a package that includes a Sony FMP-X1 4K Ultra HD Media Player and a Sony Xperia Z Tablet for $15,999.99.

“Sony knows from our experience in the custom install channel that not every screening room will be part of a new construction, but we also know that home projector enthusiasts are eager to bring 4K entertainment home,” said Andre Floyd, manager in Sony Electronics’ Home Front Projector Group. “The innovative design and proven technology in the VPL-VW600ES allows us, with our Custom Install Solutions channel partners, to deliver the cinema experience to more homes than ever before.”

Sony Press Release
http://blog.sony.com/press/cedia-2013/

Sony Datasheet
http://www.avsforum.com/attachments/72300

Sony Product Page (UK)
http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/product/projectors-homecinema/vpl-vw500es/

Although the street price is more than we all wished for, it's still looking like an attractive option for those that need to fill a big screen. I can't wait until we start seeing some reviews in the wild.

See less See more
#3 ·
You do know this projector is also called vpl-vw500es outside the US. Might be of value to update your subject to garner as much info about these same projectors.

#5 ·
The 600 looked very good. Went and looked at it twice. Will go back and look at all of the options again tomorrow. The 600 was nice and bright on a large screen, contrast looked good and so did the motion.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5  /t/1492355/official-sony-vpl-vw500es-vw600es-4k-projector-thread#post_23776270

The 600 looked very good. Went and looked at it twice. Will go back and look at all of the options again tomorrow. The 600 was nice and bright on a large screen, contrast looked good and so did the motion.

Agreed. I'll be back in there tomorrow. You and I need to chat about this soon.

#8 ·
This is from the data sheet:

The latest 4K/60p HDMI

standard: 60 frames per

second

The VPL-VW500ES can show up to 60

frames per second in 4K (at colour signal

YUV 4:2:0 / 8 bit). It’s the new 4K industry

standard and is much higher than the

earlier 24p. The result is a smoother

image with superior colour and realism.

Sounds like HDMI 2.0

500/600 are the same projector. Sony does this sometimes for different territories. Many companies switch up model numbers for different countries. Not sure why? Make life more confusing:D and that way the Americans can't complain that they are paying so much more for a 600es then the rest of the world because nobody else has a 600es

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck  /t/1492355/official-sony-vpl-vw500es-vw600es-4k-projector-thread/0_60#post_23776694

Has it been confirmed that the 600ES will be HDMI 2.0? I saw some info that mentioned 1.4 which doesn't sound right.

Thomas J. Norton (of Sound and Vision/Home Theater Magazine ) posted the following:
Quote:
The VPL-VW600ES SXRD projector is Sony’s latest 4k home theater projector. It offers a full 4096 x 2160 resolution, a claimed peak brightness of 1700 ANSI lumens, and a stated 200,000:1 contrast ratio (with Sony’s dynamic Advanced Iris 3). Its HDMI 2.0 inputs will accept 4K sources at up to 60 frames per second.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrash66  /t/1492355/official-sony-vpl-vw500es-vw600es-4k-projector-thread#post_23775755

I'm definately disappointed that the vw600es doesn't use the lamp pulsing for 3d like the hw30/hw50/vw95.

Yes i agree, but then maybe it do not flicker ( like the 1000ES dont do ) as they all do ( 30/50/95)

dj

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j.  /t/1492355/official-sony-vpl-vw500es-vw600es-4k-projector-thread#post_23778993

Yes i agree, but then maybe it do not flicker ( like the 1000ES dont do ) as they all do ( 30/50/95)

dj

Good point. I also read that the VW1000 has less ghosting due to the way they drive the 4k panels. Some reviews even mentioned no ghosting but that I would have to test. Also, the VW1000 reviews all really rave about the 3D performance. I hope it's bright enough though.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48  /t/1492355/official-sony-vpl-vw500es-vw600es-4k-projector-thread#post_23779028

Good point. I also read that the VW1000 has less ghosting due to the way they drive the 4k panels. Some reviews even mentioned no ghosting but that I would have to test. Also, the VW1000 reviews all really rave about the 3D performance. I hope it's bright enough though.

it has clearly less ghosting then the 50/95ES , but it is not 100% free from it - and no, it is not bright enough - especially if you have a large screen (over 100 ") and / or neutral gain (around 1.0)

it is brigther then the 95ES , but not then the HW50 !

dj

#20 ·
I'll be following this thread fir sure. I was close to buying a VPL-VW95 in my last setup. The VW1000 was out of my price range.

We recently moved into a new house, and I left most of my HT gear when we sold our old place. I'm not starting the basement till next fall so I've got some time. My last projector was a DLA RS55.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak  /t/1492355/official-sony-vpl-vw500es-vw600es-4k-projector-thread#post_23776279

Agreed. I'll be back in there tomorrow. You and I need to chat about this soon.

Call me next week. Looking like this is going to be my next projector.

Anybody near me that wants to come see it, let me know.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAGDNIM  /t/1492355/official-sony-vpl-vw500es-vw600es-4k-projector-thread#post_23780337

I'll be following this thread fir sure. I was close to buying a VPL-VW95 in my last setup. The VW1000 was out of my price range.

We recently moved into a new house, and I left most of my HT gear when we sold our old place. I'm not starting the basement till next fall so I've got some time. My last projector was a DLA RS55.

Sent you a PM.

#24 ·
Of course he doesn't. He sells both and must politically remain in favor of both. He obviously flipped a coin, 4 out of 7 and said rats, the Sony came up. I had to buy the more expensive one when the JVC is really quite good.

Anyway, why did you ask the question? I realize you probably couldn't answer it yourself merely based on his post and actually had to ask him in print expecting an answer.

Let me ask you a question instead. How do you spell the word "cow?
Coweieio?

Of course the set up of the Sony could better fit his particular home theater. The Sony is brighter and Mike does have a large screen.

Or maybe he wants the 4K material on the Sony server and through its down load service and you can use the server with anything but a Sony projector.

Maybe he just wants to own a 4K rated lens.

Maybe his theater room gets a little cold during those long KY winters and he needs the extra heat that will be provided by the additional 45 watts of the Sony bulb.

#25 ·
only the poor will own JVC this fall
Seriously, anybody who had MONEY to burn, seemed to end up with a VW1000. And, it wasn't for 4k content obviously. Now if i'm getting 85% of what the rich boys are getting I'll be happy

.....or get a line of credit or mortgage your house again, etc.

#26 ·
I scraped to buy it and sold several very good projectors. Didn't have to borrow any money and I have had no regrets. I feel no need to upgrade especially in light of the upgrade to the 1000ES Sony is offering for peanuts once you factor out the cost of the new bulb, server, and tablet and the install it in your house that's included. Less than the cost of flying to Cedia and staying for a few days.