Looking to upgrade, wait through 2013 Q4 or pull the trigger? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-29-2013, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17

What would you guys suggest to someone looking to upgrade their projector right now? I currently have the Panasonic PT ae2000u, and love it, but it's definitely time to improve my setup before the next round of gaming consoles. Don't really care about 4k as that's way beyond my price range right now. Looking for something for primarily movies and a fair amount of gaming. Could care less about 3D but it looks like the model I'm considering has it anyway (the pt8000u). But I know Panasonic has upgraded their projector line every year and the 8000u is almost a year old. I have time to wait, so is there something better right around the corner? should I be looking at sony or JVC instead? I've been very happy with the panasonic so far.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-30-2013, 03:51 AM

Liked: 10
I'm in the same boat with my Sanyo Z2000. If you are an avid gamer input lag is a key factor. From this point of view the best choice would be a Sony LCOS or a well chosen DLP. I'm more critical in this regard because I game on PC too, and mouse control conveys the perception of lag very well. The Panasonic is not bad, and Epson may lower the lag on their newest iteration, but we have to see it measured. If you have the money and will you can opt for a dual setup. A cheap Benq W1070 is very good at 3D and low latency gaming, you can use a JVC for movies. Right now I'm eyeing a Sony VPL-HW50, maybe there will be a discount and it seems to be the best all rounder for our needs.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-30-2013, 08:37 AM

I just came from CEDIA and Epson is scheduled to ship in 3 weeks or so. Panny is usually not far behind, about mid Nov.

I saw 2 of the Epson PJs during a demo sessions, and both are improved over last year's models.

I am a Panny guy myself with recently retired 4000 unit and looking for replacement myself.
Unless you get a closeout deal on current units, I would wait; I have been.
post #4 of 12 Old 09-30-2013, 08:48 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstopdigital View Post

What would you guys suggest to someone looking to upgrade their projector right now? I currently have the Panasonic PT ae2000u, and love it, but it's definitely time to improve my setup before the next round of gaming consoles. Don't really care about 4k as that's way beyond my price range right now. Looking for something for primarily movies and a fair amount of gaming. Could care less about 3D but it looks like the model I'm considering has it anyway (the pt8000u). But I know Panasonic has upgraded their projector line every year and the 8000u is almost a year old. I have time to wait, so is there something better right around the corner? should I be looking at sony or JVC instead? I've been very happy with the panasonic so far.
Thanks!

If I was in your shoes, I would be looking at a Sony HW50 which is a great all around projector with low lag for gaming. With the new 55 about ready to hit, you might be able to find some sort of closeout deal on the 50 which is basically the same projector for the most part.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #5 of 12 Old 09-30-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixfan View Post

I'm in the same boat with my Sanyo Z2000. If you are an avid gamer input lag is a key factor. From this point of view the best choice would be a Sony LCOS or a well chosen DLP. I'm more critical in this regard because I game on PC too, and mouse control conveys the perception of lag very well. The Panasonic is not bad, and Epson may lower the lag on their newest iteration, but we have to see it measured. If you have the money and will you can opt for a dual setup. A cheap Benq W1070 is very good at 3D and low latency gaming, you can use a JVC for movies. Right now I'm eyeing a Sony VPL-HW50, maybe there will be a discount and it seems to be the best all rounder for our needs.

The newer Optomas support RF instead of just DLP Link, so they are even better at 3D than the Benq, though I do like Benq the brand better than Optoma the brand.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #6 of 12 Old 09-30-2013, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

GAH. This has only made it worse. So I've taken a look at what Epson is offering and there are a number of models they showed at CEDIA that could be exactly what I'm looking for. I'm not usually the kind of person who will buy an older model on closeout. Might as well maximize the time before I have to upgrade again. But I do want to wait a minute and see what reviews / users alike think first. Especially in regards to lag, measured brightness and black level. Anyway, here are my considerations:

- I like the Panasonic brand. The pt ae2000u has been going strong for 5 years. 0 service issues with 4+ hours a day. Lots of picture fine tuning controls

- This setup is in a windowless basement so external light is not as much of an issue, however, when we have dinner downstairs even a 60w bulb on so we can see what we're eating ruins the picture.

- Like I said I do a fair amount of gaming, but have never been bothered by lag on the pt ae2000u. I have a PC, Xbox and ps3 all hooked up to the panny. Response seems fine through HDMI. I assume all new projectors will have even better response anyway

- As a film editor I am obsessive about color reproduction. Good blacks are pretty important. The pt2000 is horrible in this respect. major part of desire to upgrade. I hear the 8000u isn't as good as epson / JVC / sony but am willing to compromise for good lag and 3D brightness.

- I would rather get the new sony hw55 than the hw50 on closeout, unless they really are almost identical. That is if I go with the sony in the end

- I have a relatively short throw I think. 10 ft., which makes about a 100 inch screen with the 2000u. Projector is mounted on a custom shelf about 12 ft. off the ground near the ceiling

- I know panasonic only showed some portable projectors at CEDIA - anyone have an idea of when / if they are going to refresh the 8000u?

Money is a factor but I expect this purchase to last at least another 5 years before 4k is feasible in this range. So I'm willing to spend some cash for the perfect setup.

Would definitely appreciate suggestions on what to do. right now I'm leaning towards one of the mid range epsons or the panny refresh...

post #7 of 12 Old 09-30-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstopdigital View Post

- I know panasonic only showed some portable projectors at CEDIA - anyone have an idea of when / if they are going to refresh the 8000u?

several reliable sources have stated that Panasonic will not refresh the 8000 this year, it's a carry over into 2014.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-30-2013, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

hmm kind of a bummer, I guess it's now wait and see with 8000 vs the new epsons. the Pro Cinema 6030UB in particular looks good, or the G6550WU, with 5200 lumens. I'd worry about blacks on a projector that bright though.

Prices are only going to get better on the 8000, so it's not going to hurt to wait until the epsons come out anyway

post #9 of 12 Old 09-30-2013, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Yep with 5200 lumens and 5000 CR, your not going to see the same blacks like you would on the 6030, of course if your planning on having a giant size screen that the entire neighborhood can watch, then I guess its a good pj to get. The only advantage it has is extra lumens for 3D viewing, but for some strange reason they announce it as a home projector with all that brightness without having that option, unless you go with a dual passive system, which would be severely overkill. I'm surprised that they didn't include active shutter features in this as this would solve some issues for those with big screens wanting bright 3D.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-03-2013, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Well the decision has been made for me. Went to start up my 2000 and... Nothing except a grinding noise. Looks like she finally quit on me. Probably knew i was looking for her replacement. Found a great deal on ebay... $2150 plus $45 rebate in ebay bucks for a brand new not refurb 8000u. Made a bit easier knowing they probably wont upgrade the line in the near future. And it has all the features i was looking for, and i dont have to wait another month to get it.

So...Anyone looking for a panny 2000u for parts? I have a brand new bulb for it too...would be probably easy to fix but Id rather have the new gear. They are going for $600 working these days or something? I got a ton of use out of it.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-04-2013, 06:47 PM

Would you mind sharing a link to the seller you bought it from on ebay? Do they have more available? I'm looking to purchase the 8000u projector soon, thanks.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-05-2013, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

I already had a $100 ebay gift certificate so I was counting that in the price. it's $2,250 & no glasses, but still the cheapest brand new one on ebay. with 100% feedback. And DOES include a 2 year warranty. Plus if you are a member of ebay bucks program you get $45 ebay gift cert. that I will spend on glasses.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251351593504

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Panasonic , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Powerlite Pro G6550wu Wuxga 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page