best projector under 5k - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 41 Old 11-22-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 171
What aspect ratio is that screen? That screen you list is 88 square feet which is relatively large and the JVCs are no where near bright enough to fill that screen.

------------------------------------

Look What AVS Made Me Do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 11-22-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Have you read this thread?
http://www.avsforum.com/a/avs-forums-top-9-projectors-from-2013
post #33 of 41 Old 11-22-2013, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

What aspect ratio is that screen? That screen you list is 88 square feet which is relatively large and the JVCs are no where near bright enough to fill that screen.

I don't know the aspect ratio offhand, although I'm guessing it's closer to 4:3. I just had somebody measure it for me over the phone (it's at my workplace and I am not) so it's likely it's more like 96" x 132" (8ft x11ft). I've found a couple online lumen calculator & projector finders but I'm not convinced I've found the right one. For instance, I'm looking at a page right now that says 2500 lumens in a dark room is good enough for a 87" x 116" screen, does that sound legit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Have you read this thread?
http://www.avsforum.com/a/avs-forums-top-9-projectors-from-2013

I hadn't, but I am now smile.gif Thanks.
post #34 of 41 Old 11-22-2013, 04:31 PM

i like it,The MSRP on these new JVC models in right at $5K but the street price should be closer to $4K. These models accept 4K input signals and using eShift display a "4K-lite" image. I suggest you contact Craig or Mike at the AV Science Store and see if the new JVCs are still available at the special price for pre-orders.thanks

qhWv 

post #35 of 41 Old 11-22-2013, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Also keep in mind 4K will only start to be popular after 2016.

[]s,
Fernando
post #36 of 41 Old 11-23-2013, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by newRTVuser View Post

I know I'm piggybacking on this thread and if I should start a separate one, I will, but I too am looking for the "best" projector around $5,000.

For my situation, however, I need to make sure it'll would work well (i.e. be bright enough etc) for a room where the projector will be ~23ft from the screen and the screen is 8ft x 11ft. Would the JVCs recommended here work well for that, or should I be looking in a different direction?

Thanks

You need to tell us more about your room and the type of screen to be used. Also do you want to use it for 3D or just 2D viewing? It the screen has moderate to high gain then then the JVC projectors should put out enough lumens for 2D viewing if your room has full light control.

You have a 3 x 4 aspect ratio screen, so you will have black bars at the top and bottom for all virtually all HD program material. For your screen width of 11 ft. then when projecting normal HD aspect ratio of 1.78:1 (i.e., 16 x 9) video, you will have an effective screen size of just over 150 inches diagonal (roughly an image 11 ft. wide by 6 ft. high). With a 23 ft. projector to screen throw distance this means with a JVC projector you would be using the zoom set near mid zoom which would result in a little more light loss than is possible with a shorter throw distance. If you were to use a moderate gain screen, with a true gain of 1.3 then you would get perhaps 14 to 15 ft. lamberts of brightness off of the screen when using a JVC projector with a new lamp which would be considered adequate by many people for use in a totally light controlled home theater (12 is consider the minimum and 16 ft, lamberts the ideal by some industry standards). However as the bulb ages its light output will drop and therefore it would be better to use a screen with a gain of at least 1.5 to allow for some lamp dimming over time. Also note that the gain values published by the screen manufacturers are often higher than the real gain of the screen. If you could mount the projector close to eye level, rather than near the ceiling, then a high gain retro-reflective screen such as a Dalite screen using their "high power" fabric, with a gain of 2.4, might be your best bet.

However, it sounds like you already have an old 3 x 4 screen in place and unless it is a relatively high gain screen then you probably would be better off using a projector with higher light output than the JVCs. At well under $5K (actually about 1/2 that amount) you could get an Epson Home Cinema 5030UB or for additional dollars the similar Epson Pro Cinema 6030UB. While when calibrated for the best possible picture these have similar, or even a little less, lumens output than the JVCs, they do have some much brighter modes than can be calibrated to provide a reasonably accurate image. Another alternative for a higher lumens projector would be the Sony HW55ES (under $4K). These Epson and Sony projectors have manual focus, zoom and lens shift controls instead of the JVC's power controls and lens memory.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #37 of 41 Old 11-25-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

You need to tell us more about your room and the type of screen to be used. Also do you want to use it for 3D or just 2D viewing? It the screen has moderate to high gain then then the JVC projectors should put out enough lumens for 2D viewing if your room has full light control.

Thanks for the reply, Ron.

So the room was professionally installed at my place of work with the intent of screening film and television. The room is completely light-tight, with no windows and the screen permanently mounted. My situation is that I am kind of doing a run-around on our technology folks here. I am not the person in charge of making these decisions and purchases but, unfortunately, I'm not particularly happy with the quality of the image we're currently getting. My hope is to get a suggestion to make without stepping on anybody's toes.

3D is not necessary at all for us, nor is gaming. The room is relatively new, and the projector that we currently have is the Canon WU X10. My biggest concern is brightness and contrast. Right now the canon image looks washed out and a little dim at 3200lumens. I don't think it's the bulb age, because we've only had this projector about a year. The settings and calibration are possibly off but I'm curious as to real-world experience whether or not 3200 is just too low for a dark room at possibly 24feet away. Sorry I can't give any more details about the screen but with that info, and knowing what we currently are using, what do you all think about the JVC, Epson or Sony options mentioned?

Thanks
post #38 of 41 Old 11-25-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Can anyone actually see DILA or DLP pixels from closer than .25 screen widths?

I sure can't.

Its not about "seeing" the Pixels...

I sit 1.16 Screen Widths away, and can "see" a more solid image (from my seating distance) on my screen when I apply E-Shift on my JVC 4810 Projector.
post #39 of 41 Old 11-25-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

Its not about "seeing" the Pixels...

I sit 1.16 Screen Widths away, and can "see" a more solid image (from my seating distance) on my screen when I apply E-Shift on my JVC 4810 Projector.

You saving for one of those 4k Sonys to light up that gigantic screen you have?
post #40 of 41 Old 11-25-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I would love to, but getting Married next year. I will have to keep the JVC one more year.

If someone loves me on the forums, and wants to buy me the Sony 600ES, I will give them my JVC RS4810... smile.gif
post #41 of 41 Old 11-26-2013, 05:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Man. You just listed two utterly impossible preconditions that would need to be satisfied. Couldn't you have just listed one impossible precondition? smile.gif

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector , Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page