best projector under 5k - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 10-01-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Looking for the best projector for under 5k. 2d is most important and will be used 95% on movies. Lens memory is a must. Will be in dedicated light controlled room. Had my eye on the panny 8000 for a while but started reading about Color uniformity issues. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 10-01-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Get on the pre order for the jvc rs49
post #3 of 41 Old 10-17-2013, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

Where can I find the pre-order thread?
post #4 of 41 Old 10-18-2013, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

He should also ask about the preorder for the RS57. The preorder price isn't going to be much more than his stated budget.
post #5 of 41 Old 10-18-2013, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumove View Post

Where can I find the pre-order thread?

I don't think there's a thread per say, just call one of the fellows at AVS. Mike Garrett's number is 585-671-2968.

Remember folks, calling AVS doesn't commit you to anything, you just have to get their price quotes directly from them, they can't advertise a below MSRP price publicly. That's all.

And they have some great preorder prices!
post #6 of 41 Old 10-18-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

How does the rs49 compare to the current jvc models ie. Rs45? What are the improvements?

Also any word if the current models will drop in price?

I know November is the release date any idea on a day?

How does the jvc line compare to the panny 8000 as far as cih and motorized screen changes?

Thank you.

post #7 of 41 Old 10-18-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
How does the rs49 compare to the current jvc models ie. Rs45? What are the improvements?
The current model is the RS46. The RS49(10) is another incremental improvement over current models IMO. New chips, etc. You might want to read through this thread - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1486011/new-range-jvc-2014 It's only 35 pages right now ! eek.gif
Quote:
Also any word if the current models will drop in price?
Actually, the RS46 is going up in price ( call for pre order pricing and info smile.gif ).
Quote:
I know November is the release date any idea on a day?
More like early December.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #8 of 41 Old 10-18-2013, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

Looking for the best projector for under 5k. 2d is most important and will be used 95% on movies. Lens memory is a must. Will be in dedicated light controlled room. Had my eye on the panny 8000 for a while but started reading about Color uniformity issues. Thanks.
With lens memory a must...
IMO, < $5K-Sony or JVC, but it's hard to pull the $5K trigger with 4K coming... eek.gif
<$2K Sharp Z30K (to bridge the gap)
post #9 of 41 Old 10-19-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post

IMO, < $5K-Sony or JVC, but it's hard to pull the $5K trigger with 4K coming... eek.gif
<$2K Sharp Z30K (o bridge the gap)

The only Sony 1080p with lens memory is the now two year old model VPL-VW95 which sells for over $5K (i.e., $5.5K to $6K). The new JVC entry level eShift models (i.e., DLA-RS49 and RS4910), scheduled to be available in December) are the best bet in the $5K and under price range. The MSRP on these new JVC models in right at $5K but the street price should be closer to $4K. These models accept 4K input signals and using eShift display a "4K-lite" image. I suggest you contact Craig or Mike at the AV Science Store and see if the new JVCs are still available at the special price for pre-orders.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #10 of 41 Old 10-19-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post

<$2K Sharp Z30K (o bridge the gap)

I haven't seen a new z30000 sell for under $2000 in a long time. The cheapest I can find is around $2300.
post #11 of 41 Old 10-19-2013, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

Just be aware there is no best. The jvc x35 is the best to me if you don't game and don't care about 3d and don't plan on calibrating. If you however intend to do any of those things it suddenly isn't such a great prospect as it has poor 3d (I have seen it but I can't comment to much on it as it has been a while and I have had limited experience with it in 3d), slow response times and no CMS. Flaws can be found in every projector out there. I wouldn't be concerned about the color uniformity issues on the ae8000 though, if it is an issue and you get one where you can see it when watching films just have it immediately replaced.

The AE8000 to my mind sacrifices black levels compared to the x35 but gets you better response times and a CMS (although one that can be a bit finnicky from what I am told, meaning it does its job but isn't as user friendly as it could be). Which one you prefer is very much so up to personal preference and whilst many can recommend what they prefer only you can decide which one is best suited for you. The ae8000 also has better 3d (though from my experience the quality of which varies massively from unit to unit with the ae8000, or potentially where the 3d has been poor has been in show rooms so maybe they didn't have it set up correctly as when I have set it up the 3d has always been the best I have seen from lcd tech).

Just remember especially at this price point there is no such thing as a perfect projector. Personally both the ae8000 and jvc are simply marvelous projectors and it all comes down to what you want as there isn't really a best.

I don't have enough experience with Sony projectors to comment on them, I have heard good things but alas I cannot help you their. Also I have had issues with Epson in Australia though I hear there customer service elsewhere is excellent.
post #12 of 41 Old 10-19-2013, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

2D is the single most important aspect for me when picking a projector. I could careless about 3D and gaming. When you say if I don't plan on calibrating what do you mean by this? Can I not calibrate the JVC or is it recommended to use the out of box settings?

How does the JVC handle broadcast sports?

post #13 of 41 Old 10-19-2013, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

2D is the single most important aspect for me when picking a projector. I could careless about 3D and gaming. When you say if I don't plan on calibrating what do you mean by this? Can I not calibrate the JVC or is it recommended to use the out of box settings?

I can't comment on sports as I don't watch them (the only time I have recently was to see the difference between a dlp on lcd for motion, the dlp won easily as expected).

What I mean regarding calibrating though is there is a set standard for what a color should look like. Sadly displays are far from accurate with there default settings hence one can pay someone to calibrate their display (or buy a colorimetre and do it yourself if you fell up to the task) so that they are as accurate as they can be to what they should be displaying. The JVC x35 has no color management system (CMS) and thus calibration options are very limited. Conversely the ae8000 has a color management system (CMS) and thus can have more accurate colors once calibrated. So basically it comes down to JVC has better blacks (assuming you have the room for it) and the Panasonic can have more accurate colors (assuming you are going to calibrate).

I know you plan on using your wall but if your budget is limited I would go with a pansonic and use the saved money to get a screen. But then again I value accurate colors over black levels and the panasonic is around $750 cheaper where I live. Your situation may be different. Out of the box for 2d films the jvc wins though and if it had a cms I would not even consider the ae8000 for 2d films. But the x35 doesn't have a CMS which means neither is better in my eyes as they both have their pros and cons, it all comes down to what is most important to the individual.
post #14 of 41 Old 10-20-2013, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:

Though the lower-end JVC's do not have a CMS, you can still calibrate the gray scale. I would say more importantly the hard part about calibrating a JVC is preventing posterization from showing up when you change the gamma, though it varies unit to unit. This is mostly information I garnered not just from my own calibrations, but from private messaging calibrators in the forums after I saw them having calibrated a JVC for someone, because I don't like asking them in a public forum where others can see their response because it makes them uncomfortable to comment about any weaknesses in a display's calibration ability when they are charging people to calibrate. And I understand that completely, as I have no problem with that. The gamut and saturation tracking on the JVC's are very good, but this varies as well according to which model and some also noticed some unit-to-unit variance. So even if you get a JVC with a CMS, it would only make a very small improvement to calibration (if any), as the most important thing is the gray scale controls (which all JVC's include).

I personally do not believe that the Panasonics are in the same league as the JVC's, but it depends how close you sit. Though the blacks on the Panasonic aren't the greatest, they are pretty good if you can live with the bouncy IRIS in Cinema mode. My main problem with the Panny isn't black levels (I forgive black levels, I mean my Benq w7000 requires forgiveness every day), but the Panny issue was more sharpness. I did not like the sharpness when compared to the Epson or JVC, I think the Panny did look more film-like than the Epson, but it was too soft for my taste, but a Darbee helps. The other issue is I think LCD is just not as good as LCOS for movies, and if wanting an LCD, I think the Epson is much better than the Panasonic (again my personal opinion). If you sit very far back from the screen, you probably won't notice much difference in movies between a Panny and a JVC except for black levels.
FilmReverie likes this.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #15 of 41 Old 10-20-2013, 03:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

The other issue is I think LCD is just not as good as LCOS for movies, and if wanting an LCD, I think the Epson is much better than the Panasonic (again my personal opinion). If you sit very far back from the screen, you probably won't notice much difference in movies between a Panny and a JVC except for black levels.

My main reason for favoring the Panasonic over the Epson and JVC is gaming is possible on the Panasonic, not so much on the other two. I imagine the CCMS will be a factor for many though. It is interesting what you have said regarding the sharpness though, I have found the ae8000's to be sharper then the x35's I have seen along with the x95. Is it possible that they where setup incorrectly or is their something that I am maybe missing?
post #16 of 41 Old 10-20-2013, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

A bad sample, my JVC is very close to as sharp as a Benq w7000 and I've never seen a Panny come close to that.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #17 of 41 Old 10-20-2013, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

A bad sample, my JVC is very close to as sharp as a Benq w7000 and I've never seen a Panny come close to that.

The JVC x95 shouldn't have any bad samples though should it, I thought that was one of the big reasons for its price premium (hand picked parts etc). Could it be something about the LCOS tech that is swaying me?
post #18 of 41 Old 10-20-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know, all I know is I've never heard anyone say that a Panasonic is sharper than two separate JVC's.
I have never seen any well-converged Panasonic be sharper than a well-converged JVC.

post #19 of 41 Old 10-20-2013, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I read through the review about the Rs46 over at http://www.projectorreviews.com/jvc/dla-x35/index.php and looked at the pictures they took of the image it produced. Now I realize to take these pictures with a grain of salt as they are pictures, but it just seemed the panny had a little more richness in color and flesh tones that the JVC.

post #20 of 41 Old 10-20-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:

I read through the review about the Rs46 over at http://www.projectorreviews.com/jvc/dla-x35/index.php and looked at the pictures they took of the image it produced. Now I realize to take these pictures with a grain of salt as they are pictures, but it just seemed the panny had a little more richness in color and flesh tones that the JVC.

you can't compare those screenshots. Read through my shoot-out thread, the 8000 was a last pick for a number of different reasons.

* Out of the box color needs serious help. RS46 at least has decent color gamut settings.

* sharpness - The RS46 is noticeably sharper than the 8000. I don't like the smooth-screen at all, not sure what they are trying to accomplish with this process.

* color uniformity - wide variances between different copies, it's a bit of a coins toss to see if you get one that has good color uniformity. Some won't see this with real content but the 2 I had for calibration were well below average in this regard.

Panasonic skipped this year for an update and it's in question if they will continue next year after announcing the departure from the Plasma business. Maybe they are restructuring for more profitable depts.
post #21 of 41 Old 10-20-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

My X55R has the most natural looking sharp picture I've seen from a non .95" DLP projector. It's sharper than every .65" DLP projector I've seen. Pixel delineation is really really good. Very DLP like. There is no way the Panasonic (at it's price point) has the optics or QC to get most 8000's with decent enough convergence to compete with the JVC. I've had 5 JVCs and all of them have had excellent convergence and the lens samples on the X3 and X55R have been superb. Most people have this experience with the JVCs, but not so much with the Panasonic. I've seen a TON of people post pictures because they can't believe how bad the convergence was on their unit.
post #22 of 41 Old 10-20-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

It's funny that I say it resolves pixels so well. It's almost like they implemented e-shift because JVC realized they had taken a step backwards in what they were trying to accomplish; a super smooth pixel grid free picture. The RS10 and RS20 I owned had that feature, but ever since the RS40 and newer came out they had an almost DLP-like look to the pixel structure so e-shift was almost a necessary step to regain that smooth look JVC fanboys loved.
post #23 of 41 Old 10-20-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

It's funny that I say it resolves pixels so well. It's almost like they implemented e-shift because JVC realized they had taken a step backwards in what they were trying to accomplish; a super smooth pixel grid free picture. The RS10 and RS20 I owned had that feature, but ever since the RS40 and newer came out they had an almost DLP-like look to the pixel structure so e-shift was almost a necessary step to regain that smooth look JVC fanboys loved.

I don't believe this was a "feature" of the RS10/RS20 to not clearly show the pixel structure. The older JVCs had a lens that could not focus as well, over the entire image, as do the newer JVCs, and may also have had more misconvergence issues. Also their DILA chip had no better fill factor as compared to last year's eShift, or non-eShift, models and have lower (worse) fill factor than do the new eShift models that are shipping soon (and that's without using eshft which eliminates visible prixel structure).

Also related to other posts above, since the OP was talking about $5K price range projectors then we should now be talking about the new RS49 for RS4910 which do have full CMS allowing for calibration for providing color accuracy. No need to compare, or discuss last year's entry level JVC models that lack CMS and eShift. For well less than $5K (street price) you can soon get an excellent new eShift JVC with 4K signal input and these projectors will certainly put up a better image than the Panasonic AE8000.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #24 of 41 Old 10-20-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

I don't believe this was a "feature" of the RS10/RS20. The older JVCs had a lens that could not focus as well, over the entire image, as do the newer JVCs. Also their DILA chip had no better fill factor as compared to last year's eShift or non eShift models and have lower (worse) fill factor than the new eShift models that are shipping soon (and that's without using eshft which eliminates visible prixel structure).

Also related to other posts above, since the OP was talking about $5K price range projectors then we are now talking about the new RS49 for RS4910 which do have full CMS allowing for calibration for providing color accuracy. No need to compare, or discuss last years entry level JVC models that lack CMS and eShift. For well less than $5K street price you an excellent new eShift JVC with 4K signal input and these projectors are certainly put up a better image than the Panasonic AE8000.

Actually, if you read their marketing its something they definitely advertised as a feature. They claimed a smooth film like image. Whether or not this is an issue with the quality of the projector is a moot point. The image had that look to it and JVC touted it as a good thing. I'm simply talking about lack of SDE and that's exactly what e-shift gets rid of.
post #25 of 41 Old 10-20-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

In comparison to both RS10 and RS20, pixel delineation and overall sharpness to the image is dramatically different. It's the best non DLP I've seen. Many others who have played around with these newer JVCs and many other projectors will agree. I know Zombie and Coderguy will concur.
post #26 of 41 Old 10-20-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Can anyone actually see DILA or DLP pixels from closer than .25 screen widths?

I sure can't.

Noah
post #27 of 41 Old 10-20-2013, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I would imagine it depends on one's visual acuity. When I get home from work I'm going to test to see how far it is between the X55R (e-shift off) and Marantz VP-15S1.
post #28 of 41 Old 10-20-2013, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

I don't believe this was a "feature" of the RS10/RS20 to not clearly show the pixel structure. The older JVCs had a lens that could not focus as well, over the entire image, as do the newer JVCs, and may also have had more misconvergence issues. Also their DILA chip had no better fill factor as compared to last year's eShift, or non-eShift, models and have lower (worse) fill factor than do the new eShift models that are shipping soon (and that's without using eshft which eliminates visible prixel structure).

Also related to other posts above, since the OP was talking about $5K price range projectors then we should now be talking about the new RS49 for RS4910 which do have full CMS allowing for calibration for providing color accuracy. No need to compare, or discuss last year's entry level JVC models that lack CMS and eShift. For well less than $5K (street price) you can soon get an excellent new eShift JVC with 4K signal input and these projectors will certainly put up a better image than the Panasonic AE8000.

Indeed, I was using the prices for where I live (where the x55 is over $5000). If the OP's budget is up to $5000 and the x55 (or its replacement) is under that price where he lives that does seem to be the projector to get for 2d film viewing (I have only seen the x35 and 95 though so can't say for certain regarding the x55).

I should have noticed his location and taken that into account. I still think he would be better of getting an x35/ae8000 and a nice screen then an x55 and projecting onto a wall. But everyone is different.
post #29 of 41 Old 11-15-2013, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Just wanted to let the OP know I ordered a JVC X500, with glasses and extra bulb, for well under 5000 today, I live in Canada if anyone is interested PM me and I will give you more details. Super excited, although I wont get it till the first week of Dec. Move over BenQ W7000 and say hello to my new friend.biggrin.gif

James Reid:D
post #30 of 41 Old 11-22-2013, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know I'm piggybacking on this thread and if I should start a separate one, I will, but I too am looking for the "best" projector around $5,000.

For my situation, however, I need to make sure it'll would work well (i.e. be bright enough etc) for a room where the projector will be ~23ft from the screen and the screen is 8ft x 11ft. Would the JVCs recommended here work well for that, or should I be looking in a different direction?

Thanks
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector , Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page