JVC Auto Calibration - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 199 Old 04-14-2014, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 55
interesting article about the JVC auto-cal. From Ekki's write up it appears that the Gamma/Greyscale calibration is excellent, while the color calibration is just passable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 199 Old 04-15-2014, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I don't know what I should think about the cine4home "special" about the JVC autocal.

Ok, it's good concerning what's basically possible and what's the result by use of the Spyder4 probe.

Referring to the X700 C4H has used, and regarding to my own X75 calibration experiences, I'm afraid, there is some detail information missed out concerning the effort of a total calibration. Using the JVC autocal SW I have to run color/gamma calibration in differend operating modes (CMD on/off, grouped lens aperture settings, lamp mode, wide gamut filter mode). I think, it's applicable to the X500/700/900 too. I mean, it wouldn't be very good, if the user change e.g. the lens aperture, and on screen suddenly happens a perceivable color temp shifting, because the PJ was switching over to an other data record for color correction (like the X55/75/95 is doing that). And I don't know any PJ, who's free of color shifting if the lens aperture is used.

And I think, the report is wrong concerning that the PC can be used as signal generator via HDMI. There is no word about in the manual of the JVC autocal SW V5 (and no update available). As far as I can say, the JVC SW takes only use of the PJ's internal pattern generator controlled by LAN.

So if a PC could be used as pattern generator, I think JVC would have noted in the manual some information about the needed graphic card setup (RGB/YCbCr, HDMI PC or video range, LUT dependency, setting up the PJ's HDMI input, and so on). And depending on the used GPU (AMD/NVIDIA), the result could be one way or another. I personally do not use the PC as substitution for the BR player signal.

_________
Regards,
Harry
post #93 of 199 Old 04-18-2014, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Inspired by the posts on here purchased a Spyder4Elite and tested my X90.

High lamp/6500K/custom1/Gamma2.2/meter at midway point on software graphic/Iris open/HDMI SuperWhite

Quality settings 33 point colour/gamma 20mins to complete and saved under User1

Spyder4-1_zpsecc99d63.jpg
Spyder4-3_zps55a99479.jpg
Spyder4-2_zpsa67c9a01.jpg

Compared to the THX readings as above not much in it with this cheap meter.
post #94 of 199 Old 07-03-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 700
There is something intesting for JVC projector users today after the following CalMAN's release...

CalMAN 5.3.5 (Final Release) Build: 1597 Released @ 03 July 2014

Changes

CalMAN now supports the JVC x5 and x6 series CMS DDC controls in native ranges.

Dowload Link:
Download[/URL] CalMAN 5 for Business / ColorChecker 5.3.5 (Build 1597)
Download[/URL] CalMAN 5 for Home Video Calibration 5.3.5 (Build 1597)

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #95 of 199 Old 12-07-2014, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I need help please

I have rs49 and spyder4elite and did all the steps, and when I press check it is connected. I filled the ip addresses, turned of auto iris and everything as recommended in the manual.

But when I press calibration, i get this message: No input signal or unsupported format, please check input signal. I tried with 2 different laptops and same message. Disconnected the projector overnight too. what should I do?
post #96 of 199 Old 12-09-2014, 01:01 AM

did you fed your PJ with a HDMI input signal?
e.g. 1080p24 ?
mishari84 likes this.

_________
Regards,
Harry
post #97 of 199 Old 12-09-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked: 585
I'd try to connect it through your router instead of connecting it directly to your PC. I had a similar problem and doing it through my router ended up working out. If you're having issues with the router, make sure the port you're using is forwarded.
mishari84 likes this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
FS: JVC DLA-X500 (Current Model) - $3195
FS: Planar PD8150 1080p DLP Projector - With Upgraded DarkChip 4 DLP DMD - $2495

Last edited by Seegs108; 12-09-2014 at 08:05 PM.
post #98 of 199 Old 12-10-2014, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Harry* View Post
did you fed your PJ with a HDMI input signal?
e.g. 1080p24 ?
I fed it tv signal and successfuly got into calibration menu, will calibrate later. Thanks

Last edited by mishari84; 12-11-2014 at 12:22 AM.
post #99 of 199 Old 12-11-2014, 12:48 AM

On my X75 it's working in both ways - direct LAN connection between PJ - PC, als well as by use of a switch between them (in both cases just with a normal LAN cable, no cross-over).

And I set my IP addresses by hand - don't use DHCP.

_________
Regards,
Harry
post #100 of 199 Old 02-13-2015, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Hi everyone,

Has anyone managed to get the JVC software to work on an X500R regarding gamma? Everything works fine (within the limitations of the probe, software, JVC CMS etc) but I can'g managed to get any correction on gamma. The white "after" curve is exactly on the blue "before" curve, and very, very far away from the target "green" curve due to the gamma droop which I'm trying to correct.

I tried various settings, various presets, various modes (20 or 33 levels), and gamma is the only thing that the software doesn't touch.

I also tried selecting gamma only instead of colour+gamma, no dice.

Any idea?
post #101 of 199 Old 02-14-2015, 02:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Not good Manni; I'm relying on you to work this out so I can follow. What gamma mode were you in when you ran the auto cal?

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens, sold the lens...now using e-shift.
post #102 of 199 Old 02-14-2015, 02:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I tried every mode. Normal, 2.2, custom1. I always get the same result.

Glad you're here that way we can avoid cluttering the other thread. I'll post a link there so that people can follow the discussion here if they are interested.

Check Harry's post above JVC Auto Calibration, it gives a good idea of what's possible when it works. Especially the ability to define a custom gamut to make up for the fact that 1) the Spyder4 meter might not be accurate and 2) the fact that the JVC autocal nails the calibration to rec-709 at 100% sat, which leads to undersaturated colors at 75% and below (same bug as always with the CMS, no miracle there).

However, the autocal was able to restore my standard profile to a usable one (what it was out of the box, but it had drifted and all colors were undersaturated therefore uncorrectable).

Also if you autocal a default custom1 you (well, I) end up with a nice oversaturated gamut, pretty much ideal for a LUT correction, with enough luminance in all colors except a bit deficient in yellow, but that can be easily compensated with the brightness control in the CMS.

The color temp is fairly good, not perfect but much better than OOTB, especially after it drifts.

If I could get a perfect native gamma curve like in the Cine4Home review to fight the gamma droop (before running a LUT or for sources that are not corrected by MadVR), I'd be very happy.

By the way, I got lucky with my Spyder 4 Pro, it seems very accurate. I compared its reading to the Discus trained to the i1pro2 (I haven't had the time to compare it and train it to the i1pro2 directly, but I will do that).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Color Temp.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	544913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gamma.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	544921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gamut.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	544929  

Last edited by Manni01; 02-14-2015 at 03:23 AM.
post #103 of 199 Old 02-14-2015, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like you've tried every possible permutation with the gamma selections then.

If you could suss out the gamma issue, then it sounds like you'd be good to go with your less critical sources without using MadVR via your HTPC. I'm surprised at the Spyder 4 being fairly accurate as I thought that was the biggest criticism of the JVC autocal that it limited users to it, maybe you just struck lucky.

I used the CMS to add a touch of lightness to blue on my calibration last night as I spotted it was slightly under even when using profile off/High bright. This will impact on the other user setting since they both use the same profile/CMS setting due to using profile off/high bright, but I'll be rechecking that User calibration soon anyway. IIUIC it is the saturation control in the CMS that causes issues with linearity, so lightness adjustment is OK to use?

It would be good if I could adjust another profile to be over saturated as you have been able to, then I wouldn't have to average my two User settings as we discussed, plus I could try using clear black since I can't at the moment due to profile off not allowing the option.

Since I'm more interested in sorting out the pre LUT gamma droop, then I'll follow this to see if you get any resolution. I really can't complain with the results post LUT already, but it would be good to be able to really fine tune both my User settings in the future. The X500 is certainly proving to be a great stop gap option for the foreseeable future, especially at the price I paid.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens, sold the lens...now using e-shift.
post #104 of 199 Old 02-14-2015, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a quick update re the Spyder 4 Pro, as I compared it to the i1pr2 (for gamut) and to the Discus profiled to the i1pro2 (for greyscale):

As expected, it's actually fairly close. It only adds about 2.5dE2000 on the greyscale, at the top, and then less as you go down (exactly like on Cine4home measurements). I had to give it a fixed value for black as it can't read my black floor (around 0.001cd/m2), so it's unable to do a proper BT1886 gamma facing the screen.

It's unable to read 5% white on my X500 with the iris fully closed, and it's completely unable to read the red primary facing the screen. It reads other colors fine, and fairly accurately.

I'd say it's not as close as an i1d3, but it's much better than an i1d2 or even a Chroma5. No idea how badly it drifts though, the C5 was OK but the i1d2 was appalling.

It's very slow in low light (much slower than my Discus) and overall a decent but not great meter. It probably performs much better facing the PJ, but I wanted to see if it would be usable as a field meter (facing the screen) and in my opinion, it's not, ate least not with a JVC in low lamp with the iris closed.

So a non pro could use this as an only meter to make use of the JVC software, otherwise an i1d3 is probably a better choice.

However, it's certainly close enough to be used for the JVC Autocal in order to refresh the factory colour profiles, or create your own for an ideal base for 3D LUT calibration. It's definitely accurate enough to get a decent gamma and greyscale as well, as long as it's facing the projector and not the screen.

If I could find a way to get it to correct my gamma profiles (and to create a base colour profile as well, I'm going to investigate that) on my X500, I'd be very happy.
Kelvin1965S likes this.
post #105 of 199 Old 02-15-2015, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I appreciate the feedback Manni. Shame no other responses to your gamma problems so far, hopefully someone will chip in to help soon.
Manni01 likes this.

post #106 of 199 Old 02-15-2015, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

X90 2000 Hour Calibration. No help to Manni as Gamma OK.

post #107 of 199 Old 02-15-2015, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, although not really related as different model as well.

I've never seen a flat gamma curve like this on a JVC, especially after 2000 hours. Are you sure the gamma (or color+gamma) option was selected for your measurements? Looks too good to be true to me.

Might be worth measuring it with another software to be sure (even the free HCFR should do if it supports the Spyder4).

It doesn't look like a real gamma measurement to me. There should be some difference between target (green) and before/after (blue/white).
post #108 of 199 Old 02-15-2015, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Manni

Retested quality setting (last time was normal gamma) this time you can see the before line so about the same result. Did not save it though as my peak white has dropped, getting close to a lamp replacement.
post #109 of 199 Old 02-15-2015, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Kevin,

I meant to test it with another software. If your gamma curve is truly that linear after 2000 hours, this is astounding (and never seen before, at least by my eyes, even with brand new panels).

Maybe you X90 is an exception, but it would be interesting to measure the exact same preset/mode on the PJ using the Spyder 4 in the exact same position with a different software (HCFR for example if you don't have Calman or Chromapure) just to make sure that this is your real gamma curve.

If it is, congratulations . Maybe that's one of the upsides of paying the premium for a top of the line model, but I've had an rs20 (HD750), an X7 (RS50), an X30 (RS45) and now an X500 (RS49), and I've measured many other JVCs in the meantime including another X500, and I never came across such a perfect gamma curve, especially when the panels have 2000 hours.

Again, not saying it's impossible, just saying it's worth checking .

EDIT: unless you have already calibrated the PJ using the JVC software of course, in that case it's entirely normal!

Actually, one way to check for this if you haven't calibrated the four different levels for the iris position if to change the iris position of the same preset as far away as possible from your present setting (so if you're say -10, go to 0) and remeasure. It should show you the uncorrected curve before/after.
post #110 of 199 Old 02-15-2015, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Manni On my second Lamp so 4000 Hours total
I am using the Spyder elite model meter maybe your Pro has a feature missing?
post #111 of 199 Old 02-15-2015, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Kevin,

No, the Pro is also compatible (theoretically) so not the issue.

I've done more tests tonight and I found out the following:

I thought it never worked but it does work, partially, the first time. I loaded the factory settings (backup-up just before saving the first calibration, so make sure you never lose that file, it's the one with "init" in it), and after the first gamma attempt there was a before/after difference, but as it was minimal I dismissed it as not working the first time. However, a small amount of correction is applied, it's just nowhere near what my unit needs (see attached).

After that (I did many runs using the fast mode with only 9 measurements for gamma only), there are no further adjustment in any other mode. I tried a factory preset (normal bright priority), a custom preset (with a numerical gamma like 2.2 or 0 or even 2.6 because I thought maybe the droop is so bad at normal/2.2 that it runs out of correction range and drops the calibration) but even with 2.6 which is the least droopy mode there was no correction past that first one.

What I haven't tried is running the 2.6 correction first, but I doubt it would resolve the issue.

At this point, I tried everything with gamma. I even tried to put the meter exactly in the range recommended by Harry (3000-3500cd/m2 using Calman and the JVC internal 100% white patter to adjust the position) this time, but it made no difference whatsoever. The gamma correction simply doesn't work. My droop is bad, but it's not significantly worse than the one on Cine4home X700, so I'm really stumped with this. I might try a Spyder 4 Elite, but apart from a better accuracy (possibly)I don't think there is any feature that would make a difference.

I'm going to experiment a bit with gamut and color temp (by the way, it looks like the "color only" option is gamut + color temp, "gamma only" is gamma only, no color temp correction, which is a bit weird as it measures gamma with red. green and blue ramps, so not white ramps, so not sure how it touches white gamma without measuring it. Maybe it adds the values to deduct white? In any case, if you select gamma only the color temp is left uncorrected.

One last thing I forgot to mention, if you want to use the Spyder4 with another software, the table that seemed closest to the i1pro2 with the JVC was the CRT table.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gamma new.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	547673  

Last edited by Manni01; 02-15-2015 at 02:58 PM.
post #112 of 199 Old 02-15-2015, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

One last thing I forgot to ask Kevin, have you registered/activated the Spyder Pro software? I haven't done so, I only installed it to install the drivers, and the probe works fine with the JVC software so I don't think it's needed, but just checking.
post #113 of 199 Old 02-15-2015, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

One last very important thing:

It looks like when there is a dash instead of the selected gamma/color temp/color profile, the calibration is skipped (like in your screenshots above for color temp and gamma).

This seems to be because if you select a custom color temp or a custom gamma, you can only select a value not available in the list of the standard preset.

For example, if you want to calibrate the normal gamma preset, you have to select it. If you select a custom1 gamma profile, with normal selected in it, it won't be calibrated, it will be skipped and a - will indicate this in the report.

So you can select a numerical gamma preset in a custom gamma, and it will be calibrated as it's not available in the non-custom modes. Otherwise it won't.

Same thing for color temp. I think gamut is always calibrated, but that needs to be checked.

I'm generating right now a profile for rec-709 slightly oversaturated (I read my Stage profile (which is just saturated enough) with the Spyder4 and I entered the same coordinates), and I also generated a super wide gamut using DCI for the gamut and D65 for the color temp. I'm hoping that this will give a gamut as oversaturated as profile off, but with the ability to activate clear black or to select a different color temp than high bright (two annoying limitations of profile off).
Kelvin1965S and maximus74 like this.
post #114 of 199 Old 02-16-2015, 01:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
One last thing I forgot to ask Kevin, have you registered/activated the Spyder Pro software? I haven't done so, I only installed it to install the drivers, and the probe works fine with the JVC software so I don't think it's needed, but just checking.

Hi Manni
Yes registered for warranty purpose only.
Thanks for your insight, will re-run again with a new Lamp installed and try the different Gamma values, if I feel the picture has degraded and needs attention.
post #115 of 199 Old 02-17-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01
I had to give it a fixed value for black as it can't read my black floor (around 0.001cd/m2), so it's unable to do a proper BT1886 gamma facing the screen. It's unable to read 5% white on my X500 with the iris fully closed, and it's completely unable to read the red primary facing the screen. It reads other colors fine, and fairly accurately.
You could get more light for the probe by setting your PJ's zoom at minimum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01
I haven't done so, I only installed it to install the drivers, and the probe works fine with the JVC software so I don't think it's needed, but just checking.
The spyder cal SW is not needed - just the drivers.

Just a trick to check, if the grayscale gets calibrated by the JVC SW:
Hold any colour filter or somewhat else before the probe while the R|G|B ramp measurement is running.
If it "calibrates" , then the "after" gamma curve should look very deformed.

_________
Regards,
Harry
post #116 of 199 Old 02-17-2015, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Harry* View Post
You could get more light for the probe by setting your PJ's zoom at minimum. The spyder cal SW is not needed - just the drivers.

Just a trick to check, if the grayscale gets calibrated by the JVC SW:
Hold any colour filter or somewhat else before the probe while the R|G|B ramp measurement is running.
If it "calibrates" , then the "after" gamma curve should look very deformed.
Hi Harry,

Thanks for this.

Yes I know the software isn't needed, in fact you have to make sure you disable the small profiling utility that installs and loads automatically (I assume to calibrate your monitor) because it creates some instability with the JVC software, as it access the probe at the same time.

I was just reporting the low light ability of the Spyder 4 for others. I have no need for it, I use a Discus profiled to an i1pro2 for all my measurements off the screen.

The JVC software definitely corrects the greyscale. I check all the results with Calman Ultimate. It also does something to the gamma curve, especially at 5% white where it calculates a gamma which is way too high, which creates significant black crush. It just doesn't correct the rest of the curve, or not significantly compared to what's needed given the amount of gamma droop I have (see the screenshots).

I am careful of making sure that the first gamma point doesn't read zero, and I tried all three gamma modes (fast, normal and quality) as I thought maybe the Spyder was struggling to read 5% even when facing the screen, but every single gamma curve corrected by the JVC software had this black crush at 5% white.

I've done more test with the color profiles, and it also corrects them, but not much as far as the standard presets are concerned.

On another hand, I imported a rec-709 preset in custom1 using the profile generator, and that preset is calibrated to perfection, with excellent linearity. Max dE under 3, average dE of 0.9 in the colorchecker SG, and that's before running a LUT!

So just for that, the investment has paid off. I have an almost perfect profile for all my sources without MadVR. Great!

The greyscale is also spot on at 6500K, I need very little correction to adjust WB at 100% and get perfect greyscale over the whole curve.

If only it could correct the gamma droop, it would be great.

I can't believe that no X500 owner has tried this software and can confirm if it works or not for gamma.

I've ordered a Spyder 4 Elite which I should receive tomorrow, I'll decide between the two which one I send back. I don't mind which one is more accurate, but I want the one that give the best results pre-LUT from a saturation and luminance point of view. Once I've decided, I'll run all the measurements for my HDTV profile, with CMD on/off, various iris positions (I prefer to use 0, 5, 10, 15, it's easier to remember!) and low/high lamp.

I also created a very wide gamut using the DCI colorspace and a D65 white point. That create a great native gamut for a cube LUT, with all the colors oversaturated and all luminance above target as well. The advantage over profile off being that you can select any color temp and that you can also enable clear black.

A couple more remarks:
- when you calibrate a custom color profile, color temp and gamma are not calculated
- restoring the factory (or any other backup) takes a very long time!

Thanks again for all the information you reported earlier in the thread, that was very useful.

I just hope that someone with an X500 will try and report if gamma works for them or not.

Question: did you try to use the import profile for custom gamma? Do you know how it works? I might try to program a BT 1886 profile if I understand how to use it, who knows, that might work!

Last edited by Manni01; 02-17-2015 at 12:07 PM.
post #117 of 199 Old 02-17-2015, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Hi Harry,

Thanks for this.

Yes I know the software isn't needed, in fact you have to make sure you disable the small profiling utility that installs and loads automatically (I assume to calibrate your monitor) because it creates some instability with the JVC software, as it access the probe at the same time.

I was just reporting the low light ability of the Spyder 4 for others. I have no need for it, I use a Discus profiled to an i1pro2 for all my measurements off the screen.

The JVC software definitely corrects the greyscale. I check all the results with Calman Ultimate. It also does something to the gamma curve, especially at 5% white where it calculates a gamma which is way too high, which creates significant black crush. It just doesn't correct the rest of the curve, or not significantly compared to what's needed given the amount of gamma droop I have (see the screenshots).

I am careful of making sure that the first gamma point doesn't read zero, and I tried all three gamma modes (fast, normal and quality) as I thought maybe the Spyder was struggling to read 5% even when facing the screen, but every single gamma curve corrected by the JVC software had this black crush at 5% white.

I've done more test with the color profiles, and it also corrects them, but not much as far as the standard presets are concerned.

On another hand, I imported a rec-709 preset in custom1 using the profile generator, and that preset is calibrated to perfection, with excellent linearity. Max dE under 3, average dE of 0.9 in the colorchecker SG, and that's before running a LUT!

So just for that, the investment has paid off. I have an almost perfect profile for all my sources without MadVR. Great!

The greyscale is also spot on at 6500K, I need very little correction to adjust WB at 100% and get perfect greyscale over the whole curve.

If only it could correct the gamma droop, it would be great.

I can't believe that no X500 owner has tried this software and can confirm if it works or not for gamma.

I've ordered a Spyder 4 Elite which I should receive tomorrow, I'll decide between the two which one I send back. I don't mind which one is more accurate, but I want the one that give the best results pre-LUT from a saturation and luminance point of view. Once I've decided, I'll run all the measurements for my HDTV profile, with CMD on/off, various iris positions (I prefer to use 0, 5, 10, 15, it's easier to remember!) and low/high lamp.

I also created a very wide gamut using the DCI colorspace and a D65 white point. That create a great native gamut for a cube LUT, with all the colors oversaturated and all luminance above target as well. The advantage over profile off being that you can select any color temp and that you can also enable clear black.

A couple more remarks:
- when you calibrate a custom color profile, color temp and gamma are not calculated
- restoring the factory (or any other backup) takes a very long time!

Thanks again for all the information you reported earlier in the thread, that was very useful.

I just hope that someone with an X500 will try and report if gamma works for them or not.

Question: did you try to use the import profile for custom gamma? Do you know how it works? I might try to program a BT 1886 profile if I understand how to use it, who knows, that might work!
I purchased and used a Spyder4elite to calibrate my rs4910 the other day and it seemed to correct the gamma (at least according to the graph). I'm not very knowledgeable yet when it comes to calibration but the picture seems to look better (I'm at 1500 hours). I'm curious about the option to import a rec 709 preset as you said it worked well. Is there anything I could potentially mess up with the settings or is it pretty straight forward? The instructions were not very thorough to me so I figured I'd better figure out what I was doing first.
post #118 of 199 Old 02-17-2015, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Manni, a small data point for you:

I had measured a gamma droop on my RS4910 a few months ago (HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software). A few weeks later (once my Spyder arrived) I was able to run the JVC autocal on the greyscale+gamma, after which the droop was gone. Unfortunately I was in a hurry and so I did not verify the gamma droop was still present immediately before running the autocal, but I do know afterwards I was able to confirm with my i1D3+HCFR that the droop was gone. As I was in a hurry (young kids) and also am not too experienced with calibration, I can't say what, if any, impact the autocal may have had to other performance parameters (e.g., max calibrated lumens) to correct for the droop.

For Sale: Panamorph DC1 anamorphic lens - $2600 or best offer
WTB: Triad InWall Bronze SlimSub/4 ; InCeiling/InWall Gold Omni SE or InCeiling Silver MiniMonitors
Small HT: JVC RS4910, Mits HC7900DW, Falcon 2.35:1 100-wide, Triad Gold Omni SE & Silver Surrounds, PSA XS15-base, Marantz SR7008, Oppo 103D, Tivo Mini, HTPC
post #119 of 199 Old 02-17-2015, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 32
To add, I recently needed to factory reset my JVC and so I'll be working on re-calibrating it from scratch over the next weeks -- I'll start with the JVC autocal (maybe its drooping again!), and so I'll keep everyone up to date. I do wish the documentation for the JVC autocal software was not so terse; in particular, Harry's description of needing to calibrate for different iris,cmd,etc settings (JVC Auto Calibration) is completely non-obvious from the documentation.

Also I just picked up a Lumagen Radiance XS3D and so I'll be playing with that too, although initially only with manual CMS/gamma tweaks -- I have not yet picked up a Calman Enthusiast license for the 3D LUT, anyone know of a good deal for a license?

For Sale: Panamorph DC1 anamorphic lens - $2600 or best offer
WTB: Triad InWall Bronze SlimSub/4 ; InCeiling/InWall Gold Omni SE or InCeiling Silver MiniMonitors
Small HT: JVC RS4910, Mits HC7900DW, Falcon 2.35:1 100-wide, Triad Gold Omni SE & Silver Surrounds, PSA XS15-base, Marantz SR7008, Oppo 103D, Tivo Mini, HTPC
post #120 of 199 Old 02-17-2015, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

@blkblzr00 :
To create a custom profile:
1) go to create profile (second option on main menu) then select a default colorspace, white point and gamma, or create your own.
I used HDTV, D65 and 2.2. Then you save the profile, give it a name (that's the name you'll see in the JVC menu later), author, click export and give it a file name (I used HDTV).
2) Then go to import/export (3rd option on the main menu), you select the custom colour profile memory slot you want to us (you have five of them called initially custom1-5), then you click import and you select the custom file you've just created in step 1. It takes a while to upload the info to the JVC, so be patient.
3) On the JVC, using you remote, select a custom color profile and then in the list of profiles select the custom colour profile you've just uploaded. It should now be called the name you have given it (say HDTV). If it's still called custom1-5, something went wrong in a step before. So for example in colour profile custom1, you should have selected what used to be custom profile1, now called HDTV.
4) Go to the calibrate option (in settings, select color only if you want but for custom profiles the software skips gamma and colour temp anyway), and select the custom color profile in which you've selected the custom colour profile you've created. Follow me?
5) Calibrate this profile using the JVC software. It will skip gamma automatically. When it's finished, SAVE.

Now you should have that calibrated profile loaded in the JVC. If you are as lucky as I was, you'll get something like the attached.

I really struck gold with that: with a profile of 2000 points, a max dE of 2.9 and an average dE under 1! that's before any 3D LUT applied.
A colorchecker SG with a max dE of 2.5 and an average dE of 1.
A linearity check with an average dE of 0.7.
After applying a MadVR LUT (created from that 2000 points profile), it gets crazy accurate with one single point one the Colorchecked SG around 3, all the other points under 2 and an average dE of 0.4!
Linearity check with an average dE of 0.3 and 0.6, max dE of 1.1 and 1.5.

These are the best results I ever had on any JVC, both before a LUT and after, so I'm very happy with this.

I'm only trying the Elite in case it helps with the gamma issue, otherwise I'll probably keep the Pro as it gives excellent results for both color temp and gamut.

To contrast, I attach a "corrected" standard profile, as you can't see it's not comparable to the HDTV profile I created and calibrated with the JVC software.

Re your gamma calibration, please could you provide the settings you're using and also screenshots of the gamma, gamut and colortemp screens at the end of the calibration? Thanks. You'll have to redo a non custom colour profile as color temp and gamma are not corrected for these.

Good luck!

Manni
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HDTV Average over 2000 points.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	552209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Colorchecker HDTV.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	552217   Click image for larger version