Projector Selection - Unsure if what I need exists. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-06-2013, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am interested in purchasing a 3D, 1080p projector. I have some challenges and they are described below. I am not sure what I should be considering and what I actually need (with regards to specs). Once I figure that out, how do I search for projectors that meet my needs.

1) I move every 2 to 3 years.

2) My room will not be blacked out and could have substantial daylight coming in during the day. This will be our primary viewing screen in the house.

3) the screen I use will need to be retractable and easily mounted to the ceiling in each new residence.

4) the throw will vary each time I move. I would believe it could be as short as 10 feet but as long as 20 feet.

5) I would like a dual voltage, multi-system unit if possible.

6) I am using a Pioneer SC-37 AVR, Oppo 93 BD Player (connected to the AVR), and whatever satellite/cable box I am provided in each new country I move to.

7) am I nuts for thinking this is possible?

-Trey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-06-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 24
It's going to look like crap with sunlight in the room.

Why not just get a 70 inch lcd?
post #3 of 7 Old 10-06-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 127
It all depends on what your expectations are for the image. If your day time image requirements are to sort of see the picture, your ok.. If you plan on wanting an image like you get from a TV during the day, forget it. At night even with white walls and ceiling you can still get a decent image but day time is not going to happen..unless you don't care much about the image or buy a screen for that type of environment which are fixed not pull down.
Seems like a TV and projector would make more sense . Maybe even a portable screen (pullup or tripod) and just use a table of cabinet (in front or behind seating)

After looking at your post again I see you move from country to country and I would suppose your issues are the transportation of a flat screen.
A wall mounted pull down and a table/cabinet/shelf mounted projector would certainty be easier to deal with. You did not say how big you want the image. A smaller portable screen 80-90+" with a gray fabric combined with a medium to bright DLP projector would probably be a good match. The smaller the screen the brighter the image, still will be an issue with sunlight. However if you went this route you would have much more flexibility of where it is placed in the room. I used a small portable for several years with a DLP on a table (DLP projectors are typically much smaller than other technologies) and it worked very well. I then got a pull down and still used the table, you get used to setting it up and taking it down (5 minutes tops). Typically the smaller the image the closer the projector will need to be unless you have a special add-on telephoto lens so a permanent install may not be possible depending on your setup.. Since you don't know what that may be it is hard to find a one size fits all solution.

I would not expect you need to look at units > $3000 for your purpose, since your environment would destroy any of the things you get with the height end stuff other than maybe lens flexibility which I guess is a real requirement for you.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-06-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 212
An Epson Home Cinema 5020UB (or the soon-to-ship 5030UB) might suit your needs as it can produce relatively high light output, has a wide range 2.1:1 zoom lens, and works with either 110/120Vac or 220/240Vac power sources (would only need another power cord or an adapter to use overseas). Perhaps the best screen available for dealing with uncontrolled room lighting is the Screen Innovations- Black Diamond series of screens. These are not inexpensive but do help with room lighting. However, regardless of the screen you select you will need to avoid light sources coming from the wall behind the projector (i.e., opposite wall from the screen).

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #5 of 7 Old 10-06-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragno View Post

I am interested in purchasing a 3D, 1080p projector. I have some challenges and they are described below. I am not sure what I should be considering and what I actually need (with regards to specs). Once I figure that out, how do I search for projectors that meet my needs.

1) I move every 2 to 3 years.
sounds like a good reason to upgrade to me...
Quote:
2) My room will not be blacked out and could have substantial daylight coming in during the day. This will be our primary viewing screen in the house.
all projectors looks like garbage in daylight. remember that black is the absence of light, so if you have sunlight on the screen, that is as black as you can get.
Quote:
3) the screen I use will need to be retractable and easily mounted to the ceiling in each new residence.
shouldn't be a problem, and won't affect projector choice.
Quote:
4) the throw will vary each time I move. I would believe it could be as short as 10 feet but as long as 20 feet.
i'm guessing your concern is to get the same size screen at both extremes, and this might be pretty challenging. I would really try to decide on a narrower range and make that work. otherwise, see #1 biggrin.gif
Quote:
5) I would like a dual voltage, multi-system unit if possible.
I'm not sure I know what this means, but if you're trying to find something that will work all over the globe, I will again refer you to #1
Quote:
6) I am using a Pioneer SC-37 AVR, Oppo 93 BD Player (connected to the AVR), and whatever satellite/cable box I am provided in each new country I move to.
all you need is to send HDMI to the projector from your AVR, the rest doesn't matter.
Quote:
7) am I nuts for thinking this is possible?

maybe, but I think you might be more nuts for thinking anything you buy today will be worth taking with you in 3yrs time. I would strongly recommend you reconsider your plan to include upgrades/replacements when you move instead. maybe take the screen with you and buy a new projector for the new space, or ?? the thing with projectors is that they are designed for very specific situations(bright room, dark room, large room, long throw, short throw, etc) and there's just no way you can get the 'best' for all situations. you end up with 'ok' for most situations instead. in the long run, I won't cost you that much more to upgrade more frequently, and you'll end up with a better product for each room you install it in

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #6 of 7 Old 10-06-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Screen Innovations just came out with their retractable black diamond screen. This will be one of the only screens that can be recommended for your particular needs. Will it provide optimal image quality? No, but with the amount of ambient light you're going to be getting it's really the only material out there that can fight off a washed out image from the ambient light. They are not cheap by the way. As far as a projector goes I'd recommend something bright. The Epson is a very bad choice if you're planning on getting it calibrated. It has a torch mode that is very bright but no where near accurate as far as color is concerned. Once calibrated it puts out a lot less light then the competition. I'd recommend a Sony VPL-HW50ES as it's one of the brightest projectors out there currently once calibrated and it offers a sufficient amount of zoom once you need to move it. The Epson has even greater zoom but like I said, it isn't going to be bright enough to negate ambient light.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS45 1080p Reference Series 3D Projector - $1849

My Crazy Projector Journey
post #7 of 7 Old 10-06-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 948
the one thing about the epson though, is that you CAN pump out a ton of lumens for a 'watchable' image during the day, and then put it in movie mode and still have a good picture for dark room viewing at night.

the sony doesn't give you the option of giving up accuracy for more lumens. and let's be honest, even the sony is gonna look meh during the day, so it's not like that extra color accuracy will help during the day.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page