post #91 of 183 Old 10-22-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

This is off topic for this particular sub forum but I'll respond. In a few months. I should have a Sony 500ES and will start a separate thread.

So you are passing, on the ability to have the 4K server?

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 183 Old 10-22-2013, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Let me be more politically correct. Buzz are you getting a 600 or are you going to import a 500 from the UK? If the later, you wont be able to use the Sony FMP-X1 or have access to the Sony 4K download service.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #93 of 183 Old 10-22-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Let me be more politically correct. Buzz are you getting a 600 or are you going to import a 500 from the UK? If the later, you wont be able to use the Sony FMP-X1 or have access to the Sony 4K download service.

Oops - 600. I made that mistake once before. confused.gif My brain is a little fuzzed up - just got the new house cabinetry estimate. eek.gif

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #94 of 183 Old 10-22-2013, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

What did you expect? Naples downtown rivals Rodeo Drive. Compared to more than 99% of Florida, entering downtown Naples is like crossing into Monte Carlo except there are public beaches.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #95 of 183 Old 10-22-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What did you expect? Naples down town rivals Rodeo Drive. Compared to more than 99% of Florida, entering down town Naples is like crossing into Monte Carlo except there are public beaches

All true. However, the house is in poor little Wausau, Wisconsin. Let's just say that the cost of the bar alone (sans appliances) is more than enough to buy the 500ES AND the server.

Buzz

post #96 of 183 Old 10-22-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

. . . the house is in poor little Wausau, Wisconsin . . .

Yes, but Wausau is God's country. Pine trees, pickup trucks, a lake and a ski hill. What's not to like?
post #97 of 183 Old 10-22-2013, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Buzz. Do you live there in Winter and do Naples in the summer? If so, you are either a speed skating family or a curler.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #98 of 183 Old 10-22-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie View Post

Yes, but Wausau is God's country. Pine trees, pickup trucks, a lake and a ski hill. What's not to like?

Don't forget the state income tax and the rather high local real estate taxes. I'm a masochist and need a twelve step program....

Quote:

Buzz. Do you live there in Winter and do Naples in the summer? If so, you are either a speed skating family or a curler.

Other way around, but my wife and I made a big decision and decided to rent in the winter - a couple of months in Naples and a month or two in Scottsdale where I have some grandchildren who I haven't been seeing nearly enough. I did curl but it was decades ago. Half of curling is drinking and my old buddies are still there - thus the big bar I'm building. wink.gif

Buzz

post #99 of 183 Old 10-22-2013, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You are never too old to curl.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #100 of 183 Old 10-25-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:

So far most of my sales have been to small studios all over the world for their own monitor calibrating but LUTs are catching on with enthusiasts. Sometime this week an inexpensive Blu-Ray disc will be available from one of the LS beta testers that will enable complete LS profiles to be accomplished via patterns from a BD player - no pattern generator required, and all automated.

The disk that Buzz is talking about is available here.

This is the Only Available Solution in Home Theater World to Auto-Calibrate your Whole Video Signal Chain using only a Blu-Ray Disk as a Pattern Source, without user prompt, except one initial mouse click to sync the LightSpace software with the disk chapter.

No need of any type of external pattern generator to display the 10-Point or 17-Point Cube Profiling Color Patterns, this can be possible by using my disk as a Pattern Source.

My site is under construction, the only available information this time are available only here at AVForum's at other thread.

For those who need so see more informations about the disk intergration with LightSpace, here are some links for quick reference:

Disk Introduction / Why is created

LightSpace: How To Setup Your Meter / Find The Correct DIP Mode Chapter For Your Setup

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk - Menu Layout (Disk Version 1.0)

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk - Pre-Calibration Tools - Display Setup Patterns Overview / Description

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk - Patterns Overview

The only available link that is working at my webpage is the 3D Cube Size Comparison, for those who want to visualize better the difference of 1D vs. 3D LUT Profiling.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #101 of 183 Old 10-29-2013, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Not really, an upgraded 1000ES to a 1100ES and a new 1100ES will only handle 8 bits at 4K 60 4:2:0. I assume this is because those machines will use the 10 plus GB HDMI 2.0 chips because the 18 GB HDMI 2.0won't be available to Sony fir awhile, maybe 2nd Q 2014. In the 1000ES thread, post 6357, I expanded on this, how the upgrade or an 1100ES. does not include a CMS let alone a 4K CMS, nor a 4K vertical stretch function for 4K anamorphic vertical stretches, and how the expanded color space, the Sony Triluminous stuff, will only cover the increased space associated with xyYcc (x.y. color) and not the full ITU2020 space. All this may force a 4K Bluray spec, because Sony reportedly controls the 4K Bluray forum, that only includes x.v. color at all resolution and 8 bits at 4K 60. Blurays at 1080p are already limited to 8 bits though the Sony Mastered in 4K Blurays are supposedly coded in x.v. color. Obviously, when the 18GB chips become a available Sony could do an upgrade ala the one for the 1000ES applicable to upgraded 1000ES and 1100ES. But to me I think Sony should wait until the 18GB chips are available.

To me not including 4K vertical stretch and a 4K CMS is inexcusable. Sony provided a 4K CMS in the 500/600 and if Sony is using a third party chip for 1080p stretch and none being available for a 4K stretch, they should put in a large scale field gate array and program it to do a 4K stretch.

Yeah, I hope I don't regret my decision to pick up the B-stock knowing that the hardware is lacking even after the upgrade. Given that they're going to do an upgrade now rather than wait for the 18GB chip makes me think that it we'll be stuck with the 10.8GB chip. I can understand not including 4K stretch due to processing limitations, but to provide 4K CMS in the 500/600 and not in the 1100/1000+ is inexcusable.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #102 of 183 Old 10-29-2013, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You will enjoy it regardless and while 18 would be better it simply may not be needed for quite a while and if it becomes needed to get full source benefits if the right sources come along, there should be no reason the chips couldn't be upgraded easily and cheaply.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #103 of 183 Old 10-29-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Make sense, especially since Sony pretty much controls BD and probably any 4K optical disc (as well as their own puck player and service). I'm looking forward to getting it within a week and playing around with it. I'll sell my A-lens and use zoom method for my 2.35:1 screen. I'll figure out which chip size to use based on first hand observation from my seat. I need to talk to Lumagen concerning my Radiance and upgrading. I need more info (upgrade costs/options) before deciding on going for 4K out now or waiting for the real solution of 4K in/out that will come down the road. The XS3D still does 1080p really well.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #104 of 183 Old 10-30-2013, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Well it's official, I'm going to go from being a 1000 owner, straight to owning an out of the box 1100 biggrin.gif Finally got the news today that I've been waiting for from Sony. My 1100 has been already ordered I'm told. When it arrives Sony have told me to just box up and return the 1000 to them. Once again stoked with Sony's customer service allowing me to have a totally smooth transition that accomplishes both the 1100 update as well as takes care of my dust blobs issue in one move. Won't miss a single nights viewing in the process either thanks to this outcome.

I do echo the displeasure about the lack of CMS and the 4K stretch. Be interesting to see what's happened this time next year. It never stops it seems. Always some key element missing in the equation with updates. At least we thankfully do have a precedent with this update coming to fruition as promised. Whether we will see another one for these units, I guess only time will tell eh..

post #105 of 183 Old 10-31-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

Well it's official, I'm going to go from being a 1000 owner, straight to owning an out of the box 1100 biggrin.gif Finally got the news today that I've been waiting for from Sony. My 1100 has been already ordered I'm told. When it arrives Sony have told me to just box up and return the 1000 to them. Once again stoked with Sony's customer service allowing me to have a totally smooth transition that accomplishes both the 1100 update as well as takes care of my dust blobs issue in one move. Won't miss a single nights viewing in the process either thanks to this outcome.

I do echo the displeasure about the lack of CMS and the 4K stretch. Be interesting to see what's happened this time next year. It never stops it seems. Always some key element missing in the equation with updates. At least we thankfully do have a precedent with this update coming to fruition as promised. Whether we will see another one for these units, I guess only time will tell eh..

Actually Sony gave more than they originally promised. Sony said the VW1000 would be able to play movies off of a 4K server. Originally Sony never promised to make the VW1000ES HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2, because when the Sony came out, there was no HDNI 2.0 or HDCP 2.2. Sony stepped up and took great care of their customers.

Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #106 of 183 Old 10-31-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

And they did it in a manner designed not to bury the after market community but to stimulate it by having scaling that rings, a too aggressive RC suite, by not providing for 4K vertical stretch, and by not providing a CMS. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #107 of 183 Old 10-31-2013, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is the lack of 4k stretch?

Oh and Mike, I need to get with you sometime about ordering the upgrade. Don't know when will order it but will at some point before its unavailable.
post #108 of 183 Old 10-31-2013, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post

Oh and Mike, I need to get with you sometime about ordering the upgrade. Don't know when will order it but will at some point before its unavailable.

Vertical stretch is needed for those wanting to use an anamorphic lens with the projector. If Sony included this feature people wouldn't need an outboard scaler like a Lumagen to stretch the image. It takes processing power to do this and it seems Sony has decided that it would be too costly to add this feature.
post #109 of 183 Old 11-01-2013, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Vertical stretch is needed for those wanting to use an anamorphic lens with the projector. If Sony included this feature people wouldn't need an outboard scaler like a Lumagen to stretch the image. It takes processing power to do this and it seems Sony has decided that it would be too costly to add this feature.

I'm still lost. I thought an A lens did stretch the picture? So I use the 2.35 zoom feature on the vw1000 what is the difference between that and stretch? Sorry for not grasping this.
post #110 of 183 Old 11-01-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Just let me know when you are ready. smile.gif

post #111 of 183 Old 11-01-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:

I'm still lost. I thought an A lens did stretch the picture? So I use the 2.35 zoom feature on the vw1000 what is the difference between that and stretch? Sorry for not grasping this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NkqMDUPUJg wink.gif

The lens only makes the image 33% wider. If you were to simply place the lens in front of the prime lens on the projector without stretching the image vertically you'll still end up with black bars. Once you stretch the image vertically to remove the black bars, you place the lens in place to restore image geometry and make the image 33% wider. Zooming simply makes the entire image larger. You still have the black bars doing the zoom method. They simply spill over onto the wall. It's important to have some dark velvet (Or something similar to soak up the black bars that would be otherwise visible.
post #112 of 183 Old 11-01-2013, 08:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Quote:

The Sony will do the vertical stretch for 1080P up-scaled to 4K, but as stated, does not have the processing power to do the vertical stretch for 4K. An HE (horizontal Expansion lens stretches the image horizontally. You have to have something stretch the image vertically. Since the projector can't do the 4K vertical stretch, A device like the upcoming Lumagen 4K will be needed for those that want/need to use an A-lens with 4K.

post #113 of 183 Old 11-02-2013, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

And even if you don't need to vertically stretch UHD or 4K source material, the Lumagen does a whole lot more including doing the scaling better than the Sony by being ring free which allows the RC to work better on the Sony, providing a CMS, providing for automated calibration providing you have a meter and a calibration program with automation, Darbeevision video processing, the list goes on and on.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #114 of 183 Old 11-02-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

The Sony will do the vertical stretch for 1080P up-scaled to 4K, but as stated, does not have the processing power to do the vertical stretch for 4K. An HE (horizontal Expansion lens stretches the image horizontally. You have to have something stretch the image vertically. Since the projector can't do the 4K vertical stretch, A device like the upcoming Lumagen 4K will be needed for those that want/need to use an A-lens with 4K.

So when 4k content is sent to the pj and the user uses the 2.35 setting what will be the output?

And how much will the lumagen 4k cost roughly. You can email it to me if need to Mike.
post #115 of 183 Old 11-02-2013, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And even if you don't need to vertically UHD or 4K source material, the Lumagen does a whole lot more including doing the scaling better than the Sony by being ring free which allows the RC to work better on the Sony, providing a CMS, providing for automated calibration providing you have a meter and a calibration program with automation, Darbeevision video processing, the list goes on and on.

Yea I remember you talking about this in the 1000 thread and how to test for it which made sense.
post #116 of 183 Old 11-02-2013, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So when 4k content is sent to the pj and the user uses the 2.35 setting what will be the output?

And how much will the lumagen 4k cost roughly. You can email it to me if need to Mike.

You will light up the entire panel at 4096 x 2160 with a 2.35 aspect setting on the Sony and you will have black bars on the top and bottom. Those bars will occupy 25% of the vertical height, spit 12.5% on the top and bottom.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #117 of 183 Old 11-02-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:

My post is of topic but maube someone here knows something to help me.

I have a lot of Sony 2160p Content that are coming from Sony's Media Streamer.

It's 22GB with various content from Paris, FIFA Conferederations Cup Brazil 2013, Hawaii, Egypt, Italy, Okinawa, Wimbledon etc.

The file extendtion of these files is SEV.

Does anyone have any idea on how can i open this SEV file extention?

Mainly I want to see the bitdepth/framerate/chroma subsampling/encoder informations etc.

I used SGO Mamba FX to open it (because it opens all RAW files) but it was not a supported format.....

BTW, I have Samsung 2160p Content than can be played from USB of Samsung 4K TV.

Samsung is doing a very clever trick to make 2160p files playable from USB Stick....

They split the 4K files to 4 x 1080p H264 Level 4.1 (Blu-Ray Spec), each file containts 1 quarter of the image.

So the original file is DEMO_a.mp4

the other 3 files are named as:

DEMO_b.mp4sub
DEMO_c.mp4sub
DEMO_d.mp4sub

So if you open the DEMO_a.mp4 file from a Samsung 4K you will see a 2160p video.

So if you open the DEMO_a.mp4 file from a Samsung 1080p you will see only the one quarter of the full video....

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #118 of 183 Old 11-02-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You will light up the entire panel at 4096 x 2160 with a 2.35 aspect setting on the Sony and you will have black bars on the top and bottom. Those bars will occupy 25% of the vertical height, spit 12.5% on the top and bottom.

Well crap. I'm at shortest throw so no way to make it spill over, correct? Will def need lumagen 4k if that's the case. And the lumagen will allow the full panel to be used on just the 2.35 image correct so it will be just as bright as my picture I'm getting now as well.
post #119 of 183 Old 11-02-2013, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Its not all that simple. Normal aspect uses not all of the 1.89 chip, but a 1.78 chip that can be outlined in inside the 1/.89 chip. So when you put up an image at close throw, is that what is filling your screen. The 1.78 horizontal width What size screen do you have. I don't know what is being filled at close throw. If you switch to 2.35, you use the chip width at 1.89, so the image will get a little wider and the top and bottom black bars a little less than the top and bottom bars with a 2.35 aspect on a 1.787 chip and screen. If your at close throw and filling your 1.78 portion of your wide screen, you need an anamorphic but you don't want to consider that, not a close throw. Rather than post all this, just call me tomorrow afternoon, I ask a few questions and we can get to the bottom of what you need to do.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #120 of 183 Old 11-02-2013, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Lol. Between all my Sundays rituals won't have time but maybe I worded question wrong two posts ago. I asked what would happen when fed 4k and used zoom mode for 2.35. Well I asked that because I have 2.35 screen. Your answer was would have bars at top and bottom. If that is still the case then will call you Monday if that's fine. Throw is 18-19' to a 13' wide screen.

I just need a 4k pic filling my 2.35 screen (using all the panel would be preferred but could tech do without for time being) using the Sony vw1000 with upgrade.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page