JVC to JVC or something else? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-16-2013, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
We've moved and the new HT is being finished off right now (26x13x8.5' room, with irregular shape ceiling due to it being a bonus room over the garage). I have my trusted Pioneer Elite PRO-FPJ-1, which is still going strong and does have a great picture. But, it's getting to be quite a few years old and I wonder how much better the new projectors might be. Light output is of course fairly low on the FPJ-1, but since the room is a dedicated cave, that's not much of an issue.

Now to the question... if I look for a new projector, would a newer JVC be the way to go? I'd like to dabble a bit in 3D, but I except that about 80-90% of the movies would be in 2D. I watch TV once in a while, but again, with very minimal light, so I don't need a light cannon. I really do enjoy the blackness of the FPJ-1, so that's something that I don't want to lose, but wouldn't mind improve if possible.

I don't really have a budget, but guessing $2-3.5K would be about that I expect to spend...

"Suddenly the thought struck me, my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-16-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 224
I'd say a new JVC would be an improvement over what you have now. That would be my suggestion, especially since you like the contrast on your current JVC. But you might like a Sony HW50 or HW55 too. Give us a call for current pricing.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #3 of 3 Old 10-18-2013, 02:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had an RS20 that was a great PJ and moved to an RS4810 last year. Wow, what a difference. Better light output, higher contrast. I really loved my 20, but time marches on and manufacturers improve their offerings.

ISF Level II Certified Calibrator
CEDIA Member
Serving Central Indiana
www.indyvideocal.com
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector , Jvc Dla Rs4810 3d Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page