Looking to switch over to the dark side... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-18-2013, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Get it? Dark side? because projectors are generally much better in the dark...ok I'm sorry...

Anyways, now I know absolutely nothing about projectors except that they are washed out when introduced to ambient light. But that is not a concern for me because I plan to have it in a completely dark room. Now bare with me I don't know if some of these questions are stupid or not and I apologize if they are. I will be using this fabled projector for both gaming (pc and consoles) and movies and tv shows and such (XBMC). Now here are my questions.

1. I am not exactly sure how projectors work, but given that its not constrained by any physical boundaries (bezels, lcd size, etc), does that mean that black bars in content are nonexistent? IE if I watch a 21:9 movie on a 16:9 projector, would I see those typical black bars projected on my wall or not?

2. I am an avid pc gamer and I love gaming at 21:9, now my question is, is there a projector out there that can output the resolution of 2560 by 1080? this would obviously just be for my PC gaming, everything else can run at 16:9 so if there is such a thing, which projector would be able to do this or is this just not possible?

3. Is it true that in a completely dark room, projector picture quality can surpass that of the best HDTV's? In terms of sharpness, color reproduction, contrast, and motion? Also can projectors be calibrated like HDTV's?

4. Back to the question of gaming, how are projectors when it comes to latency?

5. Finally based on all my questions, what projector would you guys recommend? looking for anything between the 3000-5000 USD range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-23-2013, 05:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiousblack View Post

Get it? Dark side? because projectors are generally much better in the dark...ok I'm sorry...

Anyways, now I know absolutely nothing about projectors except that they are washed out when introduced to ambient light. But that is not a concern for me because I plan to have it in a completely dark room. Now bare with me I don't know if some of these questions are stupid or not and I apologize if they are. I will be using this fabled projector for both gaming (pc and consoles) and movies and tv shows and such (XBMC). Now here are my questions.

1. I am not exactly sure how projectors work, but given that its not constrained by any physical boundaries (bezels, lcd size, etc), does that mean that black bars in content are nonexistent? IE if I watch a 21:9 movie on a 16:9 projector, would I see those typical black bars projected on my wall or not?

You will, it's really no different than any other display device, the chips inside projectors (HT projectors) are 16:9, so when you play scope content, the top/bottom are unused and project black. Since no display device/chip is perfect, some light is projected for black. Without getting too complicated, contrast ratio (look at measured, not manufacturer specified) gives you an idea of what that will be (relative to white of course).

If you're interested in scope, you may want to look into a Constant Image Height setup. There's a subforum devoted to that here, or you can always ask questions about it.
Quote:
2. I am an avid pc gamer and I love gaming at 21:9, now my question is, is there a projector out there that can output the resolution of 2560 by 1080? this would obviously just be for my PC gaming, everything else can run at 16:9 so if there is such a thing, which projector would be able to do this or is this just not possible?

There are, but they are very expensive, $30k+. If you check the constant height forum there's a thread about scope gaming, "but" it involves gaming at 1920x810 and using a video processor to scale that if you use an anamorphic lens.
Quote:
3. Is it true that in a completely dark room, projector picture quality can surpass that of the best HDTV's? In terms of sharpness, color reproduction, contrast, and motion? Also can projectors be calibrated like HDTV's?

Most midrange (ie not budget) projectors can actually be calibrated better (have more calibration tools) than HDTVs. As far as quality goes, I'm personally leery of comparing any one component of picture quality between projectors and HDTVs because that sort of ignores the fact that there's another important factor, size. Size is it's own quality, and when you factor in everything, IMO regardless of which wins the specsmanship competition, the projector comes out on top, no questions asked, in terms of overall experience.

FWIW, I'm not really trying to dodge the question, IIRC people have said the JVC projectors "out contrast" flat panels for example, but I think most LCDs can go way brighter than any projector setup. IMO many of these metrics just aren't directly comparable due to the huge size difference. For example my LCD is way brighter than my projector setup, but since my projector setup takes up so much more of my field of view, and it's purposely designed for it's environment, it doesn't look dim at all.
Quote:

5. Finally based on all my questions, what projector would you guys recommend? looking for anything between the 3000-5000 USD range.

From what I've read here, I think a Sony 50 or 55 (can't remember it they're VW or HWs). JVCs are great but I believe they have more lag than the Sonys, which seem to be one of the better all around compromises. But hopefully someone with more direct experience will chime in.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #3 of 4 Old 10-23-2013, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
MobiousBlack,
Agree with everything Stranger said, except that if you play online first person shooters you're probably not going to be happy with anything but a DLP, all others have a noticeable lag (some are much better than others). Check out some of the projector review websites as some will publish this type of info. It just depends on what's important to you on what technology projector you get. Happy shopping.
post #4 of 4 Old 10-23-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiousblack View Post

Sent you a PM. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page