Best DLP's under $6000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-24-2013, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I am looking to get a list of what members consider to be the best dlp's available at under $6000. My main issue is the dlp's I have seen have had sub par black levels compared to what I would like but I would prefer my next upgrade to be a dlp and research on dlp's has proved difficult so any help/recommendations would be appreciated.

I have never been able to see the rainbow effect even in older dlp's form over a decade age so that is not something I think should be a consideration for myself. I am aware and have seen projectors such as the jvc x35 and have seriously considered it but I really would prefer to see what is available in the world of dlp's first as I think I would be much happier with a dlp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-24-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 52
What type of screen do you have and how is your viewing environment? I use a Digital Projection M-Vision Cine LED Projector that his 600 lumens. Its a really good DLP, but it can't be used in all situations
post #3 of 12 Old 10-24-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 139
The best option is the Runco LS-5. I would imagine street pricing to be right around your price mark.

/thread

---------------------------------------

Look What AVS Made Me Do!
post #4 of 12 Old 10-24-2013, 02:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

I am looking to get a list of what members consider to be the best dlp's available at under $6000. My main issue is the dlp's I have seen have had sub par black levels compared to what I would like but I would prefer my next upgrade to be a dlp and research on dlp's has proved difficult so any help/recommendations would be appreciated.

I have never been able to see the rainbow effect even in older dlp's form over a decade age so that is not something I think should be a consideration for myself. I am aware and have seen projectors such as the jvc x35 and have seriously considered it but I really would prefer to see what is available in the world of dlp's first as I think I would be much happier with a dlp.

Sent you a PM. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #5 of 12 Old 10-24-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

What type of screen do you have and how is your viewing environment? I use a Digital Projection M-Vision Cine LED Projector that his 600 lumens. Its a really good DLP, but it can't be used in all situations

The walls will be dark blue or dark purple purple with a black wall behind the screen and a black roof (I know all black would be better but I really like those two colors, plus I really do not like an all black room). Throw distance is approximately 4 meters. I have yet to get the screen but it would be a 100" scope screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

The best option is the Runco LS-5. I would imagine street pricing to be right around your price mark.

/thread

I shall read up on that projector and try and demo it.

I should add I do want 3d capability.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-24-2013, 07:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:

The walls will be dark blue or dark purple purple with a black wall behind the screen and a black roof (I know all black would be better but I really like those two colors, plus I really do not like an all black room). Throw distance is approximately 4 meters. I have yet to get the screen but it would be a 100" scope screen.
I shall read up on that projector and try and demo it.

I should add I do want 3d capability.

A B-stock DPI would work for you with that size screen and it would meet your price point.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #7 of 12 Old 10-24-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Check out the link in my signature of the projectors I've owned. The Planar PD8150 is the same projector as the LS-5. Planar bought Runco and rebranded the PD8150 as the LS-5. It has been my favorite out of them all. For it's age it still puts out one of the finest looking images out of all the 1080p projectors available today in the under $10000 market. If you're looking to stay with DLP the LS-5 is the projector to get. I don't think there is a nicer looking 2D image out there in your price range. The lower priced JVCs do look wonderful and have great contrast performance but I think the LS-5 will give you an even more refined image.

---------------------------------------

Look What AVS Made Me Do!
post #8 of 12 Old 10-25-2013, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Check out the link in my signature of the projectors I've owned. The Planar PD8150 is the same projector as the LS-5. Planar bought Runco and rebranded the PD8150 as the LS-5. It has been my favorite out of them all. For it's age it still puts out one of the finest looking images out of all the 1080p projectors available today in the under $10000 market. If you're looking to stay with DLP the LS-5 is the projector to get. I don't think there is a nicer looking 2D image out there in your price range. The lower priced JVCs do look wonderful and have great contrast performance but I think the LS-5 will give you an even more refined image.

Thankyou for this post. I am guessing it really is a case of for 3d I would be best to have a second cheaper dlp from what I have seen thus far and have another nicer for 2d.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-25-2013, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thankyou for this post. I am guessing it really is a case of for 3d I would be best to have a second cheaper dlp from what I have seen thus far and have another nicer for 2d.

I am about to try the VIP 3D Theater Plus with my non 3D DLP projector. It basically turns your non 3D projector into a 3D projector. It uses a rf emitter, which doesn't hurt contrast like dlp link glasses
post #10 of 12 Old 10-25-2013, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

You might check out the Sharp XK-Z30000. It's less than half the price of the LS-5 and it has state of the art 3D (as well as excellent 2D).
There is a good thread in the >$3K forum. It was originally $5K MSRP...
I like DLP as well and it's worked well for us.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-25-2013, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
FilmReverie - look into DLP chip sizes, .95" is noticeably better than .65". Although its hard to find the bigger chip size with 3D in your budget, the 2D performance will be better.

I'd go LED if you can find a deal within budget or as Seegs said, an LS5

post #12 of 12 Old 10-25-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieledmunds View Post

FilmReverie - look into DLP chip sizes, .95" is noticeably better than .65". Although its hard to find the bigger chip size with 3D in your budget, the 2D performance will be better.

I'd go LED if you can find a deal within budget or as Seegs said, an LS5

The .95 chips are very sharp and good. I know someone who has the LED projector I have for sale. But hopefully the VIP processor worth it. It has a return policy so I won't lose anything
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page