First movie viewed with new PJ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-24-2013, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I will be getting my JVC PJ setup next week and was wondering what everyones first BD on the new PJ was? I plan on showing "Prometheus", followed by some football and definitely the Superbowl.. Open to suggestions, of course this is AVS.. thanks in advance members..biggrin.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-24-2013, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post

I will be getting my JVC PJ setup next week and was wondering what everyones first BD on the new PJ was? I plan on showing "Prometheus", followed by some football and definitely the Superbowl.. Open to suggestions, of course this is AVS.. thanks in advance members..biggrin.gif

Let The Right One In. Pick a favorite, with a jvc I would pick a film that is rather dark like Blade Runner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-25-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I find it interesting the folks set up projectors and Home Theaters and don't use them very much or even watch anything all that much. Maybe it is because I have no kids and no social life!eek.gif But the Wife and I watch shows every night of the week. Movies, not so much as there are not that many worth seeing.. Granted we only have On-demand and every Premium channel know to man..
First things I wanted to see when I got a new to me projector was TV commercials I had seen a million times with the previous projector.. Whats that food look like at Olive Garden, is the color of the tomato and lemon correct? What color red is that Macy's Star and the Target Carts? How about the white of the Toyota background, is it all white or are there color uniformity issues?.. what about the Cobalt Blue Chevy is the color the same as the one down the street? Golf, baseball or football.. what color green is that grass.. Then something like White Queen or Sleepy Hollow, GoTH or True Blood for the darker stuff. 1080p BR always looks good, but how about over compressed 1080i from your TV provider? Local news whats that skin look like.. blond hair correct? Yeah with JVC a Dark movie would be cool, but how do JVC owners find Dark movies every night of the week? How well does JVC do Sports? Is ICE on a Hockey Rink all white? Is the fast actions smooth? Just wondering why the first thing you would want to watch would be a Dark movie with no color and pop? Yeah no screen glow but that is only one small aspect of the picture..

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old 10-25-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 798
you have 'premium' channels and watch commercials? something doesn't add up.

I like watching movies I've seen before several times when viewing a new projector. definitely not something brand new on the first run. first run is to get all the bugs out, then on the second or third movie i'll watch whatever I haven't seen yet

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #5 of 8 Old 10-25-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

you have 'premium' channels and watch commercials? something doesn't add up.

We also watch a lot of stuff on network TV. When watching things on ABC for instance.. it is 5 minutes show, 4 minutes commercials.. the wife and I pay a game and try and guess how many commercials will be shown in each break.. I hate them, but my point was watching familiar content to see how much different or the same things look.. My wife will watch movies more than once and she will even watch them on a 32" display .. but there are very few I would bother with a second time.. Main reason for all the premium channels are the series that we do watch.. Anyway, if you have a projector, for heaven sakes watch the dang thing.. lamps are not really all the expensive so turn it on and watch the news.. everything better BIG, even the new!! wink.gif

Doug

post #6 of 8 Old 10-25-2013, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Odd comment about not watching movies. I have watched over 20 hours of movies in the last week despite working all but one day. biggrin.gif

post #7 of 8 Old 10-25-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
We also watch a lot of stuff on network TV. When watching things on ABC for instance.. it is 5 minutes show, 4 minutes commercials.. the wife and I pay a game and try and guess how many commercials will be shown in each break.. I hate them,

We have Dish and a Hopper. What commercials ?
Quote:
I will be getting my JVC PJ setup next week and was wondering what everyones first BD on the new PJ was? I plan on showing "Prometheus", followed by some football and definitely the Superbowl.. Open to suggestions, of course this is AVS.. thanks in advance members.

There are too many great looking fun movies to watch, old and new, on Blu Ray, for a first movie on a projector !! Star Trek ( both new ones ), Batman ( all 3 ), I Robot, Promethius, Gladiator ( remastered ) - too many to list !!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #8 of 8 Old 10-26-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

We also watch a lot of stuff on network TV. When watching things on ABC for instance.. it is 5 minutes show, 4 minutes commercials.. the wife and I pay a game and try and guess how many commercials will be shown in each break.. I hate them, but my point was watching familiar content to see how much different or the same things look.. My wife will watch movies more than once and she will even watch them on a 32" display .. but there are very few I would bother with a second time.. Main reason for all the premium channels are the series that we do watch.. Anyway, if you have a projector, for heaven sakes watch the dang thing.. lamps are not really all the expensive so turn it on and watch the news.. everything better BIG, even the new!! wink.gif

I just think it's better to watch the highest quality content possible(which is rarely commercials, even on premium HD channels) because you don't want the content's faults skewing your judgements. ie, the 'motion blur' looked the same on my f8500 plasma and my jvc x35, but it's because my source is the thing introducing most of that motion blur, not because the x35 is actually just as good with motion as a top end plasma...

as for using the projector. I'll put about a 1000hrs on it a year, maybe more. but I still like to 'save it' when i'm just doing some casual viewing. for example, i'm on my laptop surfing the web right now, and the plasma is on showing some cable that i'm half paying attention to, and may turn off at any moment. i'll use the projector when i'm actually watching, and I know it'll be for at least an hour.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Prometheus , Star Trek Blu Ray , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Batman Trilogy Batman Begins The Dark Knight The Dark Knight Rises Blu Ray , I Robot Blu Ray , Gladiator Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Gladiator by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page