could use some expert opinions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-28-2013, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys -

I have a basement theater set up that I have had for around 10 years now I guess. I have a Toshiba TDP MT-500 projector onto a 100" screen at about 13 feet. I have a Yamaha HTR-5660 receiver and I am using DISH network.

I have had the TV portion disabled for years and just got the Dish Joey down there. The projector has no HDMI capability and the Joey doesn't play as well without it apparently. The projector doesn't really support anything over 1024x576

My question is ...would there be an appreciable difference in my picture and sound if I got an HDMI receiver? or should I just leave well enough alone and dial in what I have

Thanks in advance

Roger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-29-2013, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 55
As I understand it, Joey has HDMI (for HD) and low-rez (480 lines) Composite Video (Yellow/Red/White). Connecting Composite Video to your low-rez Projector is the obvious choice.

It is also possible to use an HDMI-To-Component-Video Interface Converter if your projector is equipped with a Component Video port....but i doubt that you will see much of a difference....esp if the projector doesn't accept 720p or 1080i and forces the interface to 480 or 576 (Europe?) line resolution.

So I think you need to think about upgrading the projector for 1080 (i or p) High Def before you think about upgrading the AVR to serve as an HDMI Source Switch.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-29-2013, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The projector does accept 720p. I have two component inputs and 1 dvi-d input. From what I can see, it looks like the DVI wasn't being used but is connected to the projector and there is a dvi to hdmi adapter on it. both of the component inputs were being used, one for the DVD and not sure on the other. Since Joey does not support component I am running composite between Joey and my receiver.

I guess my thinking was to get the HDMI receiver and run the Joey to that and then connect the receiver to the projector via dvi?

Would I get 720p that way?

What recommendations might you have for an HD projector?
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

As I understand it, Joey has HDMI (for HD) and low-rez (480 lines) Composite Video (Yellow/Red/White). Connecting Composite Video to your low-rez Projector is the obvious choice.

It is also possible to use an HDMI-To-Component-Video Interface Converter if your projector is equipped with a Component Video port....but i doubt that you will see much of a difference....esp if the projector doesn't accept 720p or 1080i and forces the interface to 480 or 576 (Europe?) line resolution.

So I think you need to think about upgrading the projector for 1080 (i or p) High Def before you think about upgrading the AVR to serve as an HDMI Source Switch.
post #4 of 4 Old 10-30-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Should work...check Projector threads for user recommendations....
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Yamaha Htr 5660 6 Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page