Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 296 Old 05-26-2014, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post

Measure it. If one side of the projected image is taller than the other side, rotate the projector (side to side) until both sides of the projected image are equal in height. Then use the horizontal adjustment dial on the projector to move the image so it aligns with the screen - that 'shifts' the image without affecting the image geometry. You can't assume the screen/wall is perfectly perpendicular to the projector's plane of projection.

Yep that was the problem. The wall the screen is on slants ever so slightly away making one side hit closer than the other. I did some adjusting and was able to get the image centered without any slanting. Thanks for the recommendation.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 296 Old 05-26-2014, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Thanks for the update - glad to hear you were able to sort it out ... smile.gif
post #273 of 296 Old 05-26-2014, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Joined the Epson 6030ub club a few weeks ago! Upgraded from a Sanyo PLV-Z4000. Used the included mount (just had to pick up an eight inch pipe from Lowe's (6 inch that comes with it was a little too short for my setup). The included rear cable cover makes for a very clean install. Had to do a few minor tweaks to get cover to fit right, but well worth it. (Notched out 2 of the plastic tabs on the inside to make a little more room and take off some of the tension on the RedMere HDMI cable...also had to file a small notch so I could get the IR wire to the projector sensor. I shopped around with all the major Epson authorized dealers mentioned in this thread . Everyone was really responsive and helpful. I ended up getting mine from (Jason Lambert) programmergeek:

(908)219-9288
Jason@IntegratedTechSolutions.com

Gave me a great package deal. Super nice guy and easy to talk to... was able to work out all the purchase details via email. Great customer service also...I had an issue with the original mount (pipe got stuck in mounting plate) and he helped me take care of it...Epson sent me a new one over night. Ended up chatting on the phone for almost an hour about various AVS topics. Definitely drop him a line if you are interested in purchasing a projector or any A/V equipment.
post #274 of 296 Old 05-26-2014, 08:19 PM

post #275 of 296 Old 05-28-2014, 02:20 PM

I mounted mine in the drop ceiling with this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824997387&cm_re=epson_drop_ceiling-_-24-997-387-_-Product

It cost $79 and attaches to the included mounting hardware.

post #276 of 296 Old 06-02-2014, 07:17 PM

Hi Gregg,

I just received my new 6030UB and it powered up with a stuck pixel (bright blue) ... I guess it has to be returned and replaced.
I hope this is not endemic to this model.

While I am waiting for the new unit - are there preferred settings you can recommend to get started and work from there? This projector has a lot more capability than my previous Pioneer FPJ1 (although it worked flawlessly for years).
I'm not sure whether I should just leave the settings as they came out of the box or tweak them (like turning on auto Iris).

Thanks
post #277 of 296 Old 06-03-2014, 07:46 AM

Update: Epson is replacing my 6030UB overnight with a new unit. This is great service. I hope the new unit doesn't have the same problem with a "stuck" pixel.
post #278 of 296 Old 06-07-2014, 05:14 AM

Liked: 12
Hello Everyone,

I am totally new to this aspect of home theater and this projector and screen combo will be my first set-up of this type. I am coming from a 60" Pioneer Kuro and moving to an Epson 6030UB projector with a 113" fixed Black Diamond screen. Where my future projector will be placed, I will need about a 30 foot HDMI cable and the one I was looking at was the Blue Jeans BJC Series 1. I emailed the company and they said it is there most reliable HDMI cable for longer runs. Now I was looking at the above pictures of the ceiling mounted Epson 6030, and how the cables bend in for a clean and organized look and I am wondering if that Blue Jeans cable will be able to bend like that. The customer service guy did say that 23 AWG is a little stiff. I have no idea if it will work and don't want to spend money on something that won't work. I was also thinking about the Monoprice RedMere HDMI cable but then read about signal drop out issues.
Can someone please tell me what HDMI cable they are using?
Thank you for your help.

Paul
post #279 of 296 Old 06-07-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian1029 View Post

Hello Everyone,

I am totally new to this aspect of home theater and this projector and screen combo will be my first set-up of this type. I am coming from a 60" Pioneer Kuro and moving to an Epson 6030UB projector with a 113" fixed Black Diamond screen. Where my future projector will be placed, I will need about a 30 foot HDMI cable and the one I was looking at was the Blue Jeans BJC Series 1. I emailed the company and they said it is there most reliable HDMI cable for longer runs. Now I was looking at the above pictures of the ceiling mounted Epson 6030, and how the cables bend in for a clean and organized look and I am wondering if that Blue Jeans cable will be able to bend like that. The customer service guy did say that 23 AWG is a little stiff. I have no idea if it will work and don't want to spend money on something that won't work. I was also thinking about the Monoprice RedMere HDMI cable but then read about signal drop out issues.
Can someone please tell me what HDMI cable they are using?
Thank you for your help.

Paul

I have a 30ft redmere from monoprice.com Sometimes I get no signal which is due to the cable. If I just hooked my cable from the AVR to the projector it would have no problem. My issues is the 3ft hdmi from my AVI to the wall keystone hdmi. Then it connects to the redmere that travels to my ceiling mount. From there another keystone and 1.5ft hdmi cable connects my projector. The problem monoprice said I have is the multiple connections. They said if I used a standard cable which maxes out 25ft instead of the 30ft redmere with microchip then my signal would never cut out. If you want to make it clean get the longest 1080p cable you can without a chip and use the keystones in the wall to make it look clean. I plan on replacing the redmere but I have not had an issue for a month. It's a crap shoot on it working.

post #280 of 296 Old 06-08-2014, 05:36 AM

Thank you for sharing your experience. My wife already hates me spending any money on this hobby and if I mess up and it doesn't work, she will not be impressed. She loves the Kuro TV and doesn't want me spending the money on the new projector and screen combo. If I buy an HDMI cable and it doesn't work, and then I have to by another one, she'll hold it over my head that I've just wasted even more money. I just want to buy it once and for it to work right. I'll take your advice and just get the biggest 30 foot AWG single HDMI cable (Monoprice or Blue Jeans) and run it from my projector directly to my processor and be done with it. Thanks again.
post #281 of 296 Old 06-08-2014, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Standard Monoprice 50' hdmi, AVR direct to 6030 here... no signal drops yet.  (approaching 50 hours)  :)

post #282 of 296 Old 06-08-2014, 08:39 AM

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian1029 View Post

... I'll take your advice and just get the biggest 30 foot AWG single HDMI cable (Monoprice or Blue Jeans) and run it from my projector directly to my processor and be done with it. Thanks again.

If you will be using a heavy gauge cable, it's not going to be very flexible - I recommend you also purchase a couple of 'port savers' to use with it. They are short lengths of smaller gauge flexible HDMI extension cable (M to F) that you can put on each end for the final bends into both the projector and your source equipment. Without them, a heavy gauge cable can put a lot of stress on your HDMI ports, and quite possibly damage them. The port savers are only a couple of dollars each (look at Monoprice part 2891) - I use a lot of them and they work great.

I also use Monoprice HDMI cables of various lengths throughout the house for AV distribution, from 15 ft to 50 ft. These are their standard HDMI 'in-wall' cables (not Redmere), gauged appropriately for the distance, and I've never had a problem with them in several years of use.
post #283 of 296 Old 06-08-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post

If you will be using a heavy gauge cable, it's not going to be very flexible - I recommend you also purchase a couple of 'port savers' to use with it.

This is a good idea.  To elaborate, my 50' cable is also of the "in-wall" variety.  It is quite stiff and won't be making any 90 degree turns too sharp.  Will have to look into some of these myself.  Excellent suggestion.

post #284 of 296 Old 06-08-2014, 02:22 PM

I just ordered mine!  First projector and upgrading from Pioneer Elite RPTV.  Is the included "ISF Calibration tools" something that someone with no experience calibrating a TV can use or do I need to make sure the installer does this for me?  If the "tools" are included it seems to imply that your average Joe can do this at home.  What has been your experience?

post #285 of 296 Old 06-08-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlopezmdfacp View Post

I just ordered mine!  First projector and upgrading from Pioneer Elite RPTV.  Is the included "ISF Calibration tools" something that someone with no experience calibrating a TV can use or do I need to make sure the installer does this for me?  If the "tools" are included it seems to imply that your average Joe can do this at home.  What has been your experience?

Out of the box you might like the picture that is presented. After approximately 200 hrs of viewing you can do the basic calibration yourself with either the "Spears & Munsil", or "Digital Video Essentials" calibration discs. There are others that are just as good. I have utilized them myself plus Disney's WOW , and got very good results. You do not have to be an expert.
post #286 of 296 Old 06-10-2014, 07:19 PM

I also purchased the 6030ub from Gregg Lowen mentioned in earlier posts. Hooked me up with the Oppo 103. Gregg was great to work with and very knowledgeable. What an amazing projector! My first one. Screen is not in yet but here's a shot of it projecting on my dark blue walls with lights on. image.jpg 77k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.3 KB, 39 views)
avconsumer2 likes this.
post #287 of 296 Old 06-11-2014, 03:12 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion5150 View Post

I also purchased the 6030ub from Gregg Lowen mentioned in earlier posts. Hooked me up with the Oppo 103. Gregg was great to work with and very knowledgeable. What an amazing projector! My first one. Screen is not in yet but here's a shot of it projecting on my dark blue walls with lights on. image.jpg 77k .jpg file

Very nice Orion5150, I can only imagine how great it will look on a proper screen! Thanks for posting the photo.

Mine arrives this Friday .. I can hardly wait!

post #288 of 296 Old 06-11-2014, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian1029 View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience. My wife already hates me spending any money on this hobby and if I mess up and it doesn't work, she will not be impressed. She loves the Kuro TV and doesn't want me spending the money on the new projector and screen combo. If I buy an HDMI cable and it doesn't work, and then I have to by another one, she'll hold it over my head that I've just wasted even more money. I just want to buy it once and for it to work right. I'll take your advice and just get the biggest 30 foot AWG single HDMI cable (Monoprice or Blue Jeans) and run it from my projector directly to my processor and be done with it. Thanks again.
If you get a chance - come back and tell us if your wife gets converted! I'd be curious what she thinks compared to the TV...

Electrical engineer by education. Currently a system engineer. I like home automation, theaters, and blinking lights.
Someday it'll be more of an actual hobby - if my employer would ever let me go home!
"The Escape Pod" - My First Theater Build
post #289 of 296 Old 06-12-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrg View Post
If you get a chance - come back and tell us if your wife gets converted! I'd be curious what she thinks compared to the TV...
It's kind of funny because she thought I was crazy for spending that much money on the 60" Kuro, and I was going to sell it to help pay for the Epson 6030UB, but now it is my wife who doesn't want to let the Kuro go. She's seen what else is out there and likes the Pioneer Elite. All of a sudden she is a videophile! I think (hope) when she sees the projector with the black diamond screen, she is going to love it. Now I just have to wait until I save up enough money to get the projector.
post #290 of 296 Old 06-30-2014, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

I have a problem. My wonderful 6500UB was fried in a big surge from lightning that struck the antenna mast of my next door neighbor. Lots of electronic equipment was ruined in my house and several neighbors as well. To make a long story short, I plan on replacing this with the 6030, if the insurance company lets me. My Yamaha receiver was also toasted so I will be replacing that as well.

Here is my question - since both replacements will feature 3D capability (something I really don't care for one way or another), what HDMI cables do I have to use? My 50 foot HDMI cable going from the Yamaha to the Epson is about 7 years old so I doubt it is high speed but it is thick gauge and very heavy duty. I only have one shorter HDMI cable that is considered "high speed". I have also heard you don't need any special cable to view 3D but I don't think that is correct. Since I will have 3D capability, I want to utilize it even if on a once in a blue moon basis. I do not have a 3D dvd player but will probably get one as well. What do I need in terms of cable with this projector? What tips can you provide for my conversion from 2D to 3D (such as glasses)? Does the 6030 convert any 2D signal to 3D and if so, how does that work? Thanks for any help.

shortspark
post #291 of 296 Old 06-30-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Here is my question - since both replacements will feature 3D capability (something I really don't care for one way or another), what HDMI cables do I have to use? My 50 foot HDMI cable going from the Yamaha to the Epson is about 7 years old so I doubt it is high speed but it is thick gauge and very heavy duty. I only have one shorter HDMI cable that is considered "high speed". I have also heard you don't need any special cable to view 3D but I don't think that is correct. Since I will have 3D capability, I want to utilize it even if on a once in a blue moon basis.
To be honest, I'd try your current HDMI before investing in a new one. I recently ordered a CL2 rated (in-wall installation quality) standard speed HDMI, and though not officially spec'd for 3D... it seems to be pumping it through just fine. Officially, you're supposed to use a "high speed" HDMI I believe.

Quote:
I do not have a 3D dvd player but will probably get one as well. What do I need in terms of cable with this projector? What tips can you provide for my conversion from 2D to 3D (such as glasses)?
You will need a 3D Blu-Ray player (my ps3 works fine as well), as well as an aforementioned HDMI cable to go from the BD (Blu-Ray) player to your receiver. 6030 comes with two sets of 3D glasses that work fine for me.

Quote:
Does the 6030 convert any 2D signal to 3D and if so, how does that work?
I do believe it does, but have not experimented with this aspect as of yet.

Also... the "quote" function seems to be jacked up pretty good - sry for any confusion.

Last edited by avconsumer2; 06-30-2014 at 02:14 PM.
post #292 of 296 Old 06-30-2014, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avconsumer2 View Post
To be honest, I'd try your current HDMI before investing in a new one. I recently ordered a CL2 rated (in-wall installation quality) standard speed HDMI, and though not officially spec'd for 3D... it seems to be pumping it through just fine. Officially, you're supposed to use a "high speed" HDMI I believe.

You will need a 3D Blu-Ray player (my ps3 works fine as well), as well as an aforementioned HDMI cable to go from the BD (Blu-Ray) player to your receiver. 6030 comes with two sets of 3D glasses that work fine for me.

I do believe it does, but have not experimented with this aspect as of yet.

Also... the "quote" function seems to be jacked up pretty good - sry for any confusion.
Thanks for that avconsumer. I think you are correct that I should just try the cable I have first and if it does not work go from there. I have an Oppo dvd player but not 3D - great time to upgrade!

shortspark
post #293 of 296 Old 07-07-2014, 09:52 AM

Wow... it has been a long time since I posted on AVS forum.

I just pulled down my NEC CRT projector and put up an Epson 6030UB. Three people to pull the old one down, and one to put the new one up... with one hand free. I have an older HTPC with DVI out. I purchased an adapter and hooked the two components together via a 26' HDMI cable. No signal. I hooked up the HTPC to my Samsung HDTV with the same cable and don't have any issues. What do I need to look over, HTPC or projector to narrow down the issue? I am going to take my laptop home from work tonight and try the same connection.
post #294 of 296 Old 07-22-2014, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasdom View Post
Anyone having HDMI handshake delays with their PJ? I'm using this 40' Redmere cable and sometimes it takes several minutes to detect a signal.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
Just a quick update,
After trying 2 more cables with the same results, the issue was in my Directv STB settings. I turned off the "native" setting and now switching is fast and wonderful!

9.2 System.....
Onkyo Pre/Pro PR-SC5508 Powered by Emotiva XPA-5 X 2
Klipsch RF-7II's Mains
Klipsch RC-64II Center
Klipsch RB-75s Heights
Klipsch RS-7's Side Surrounds
Klipsch RS-52II's Rear Surrounds
Klipsch RW-12D Subs x 2
Klipsch Belle's x 4
OPPO BDP-105 with Roku Streaming Stick
Epson 6030UB / Vapex 12...
post #295 of 296 Old 07-23-2014, 11:45 AM

Liked: 0
Epson 6030 or SIM2 Crystal Cube?

Maybe this is a silly question, but can someone share some perspective on which one of these projectors to go for? I have been following and reading about the Epson for over six months and ready to make a purchase, but have recently been turned onto the Sim2 Cube. Any thoughts on this for those that have seen both projectors? Thanks,
post #296 of 296 Old 07-23-2014, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchjlazar View Post
Maybe this is a silly question, but can someone share some perspective on which one of these projectors to go for? I have been following and reading about the Epson for over six months and ready to make a purchase, but have recently been turned onto the Sim2 Cube. Any thoughts on this for those that have seen both projectors? Thanks,

Not in the same league with the 6030! Just look at this review, neck just drop downto the conclusion and check out the comments as well!
http://www.audioholics.com/projector-reviews/sim2-crystal-cube
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6020ub 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page