Help Picking the Right Projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-31-2013, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello everyone! I could really use some help picking a projector.

I live in a condo in downtown SF on the 16th floor of a highrise. My living room is perfectly sized for a 110" screen. I exclusively watch 2D movies on Blu Ray at night. The problem is that I can't black out my living room (I entertain a lot) so it will always have some ambient light coming from the side. Not much, but city light. I also enjoy leaving on a single light while watching movies so I can get up and see where I'm walking, etc..

I've ordered a 110" DNP Supernova Blade High Gain 2.3 which I'm going to mount from the ceiling. It's going to look gorgeous. So that's all picked out after a ton of research. But I'm having trouble picking out the right projector.

I keep going back and forth between quite a few and my dealer just seems to get to want me to spend a ton of cash. Budget isn't as important to me as overall picture quality (but I do want to stay under $10k and would love to save as much $$ as possible).

Here is the list of options that I see:

-Epson 5030/6030
-Sim2 Crystal 45
-Runco LS-HB
-JVC X75 (or whichever is the latest equivalent)

I keep going back and forth and my head is swimming with numbers and I'm very frustrated. Could you guys please help me out? Here are a few other things I know:

• I don't have a problem with colorwheels and rainbowing
  • I really enjoy contrast and deep black levels
  • I will never use this during the day
  • There will always be some ambient light

Any thoughts/help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-31-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Go with the JVC and don't look back. It will easily give you the best picture quality out of the projectors listed. The only suggestion is that I'd go with the next step down in the JVC line because they're a bit brighter (roughly an extra 100 lumens depending on lamp and iris setting) and this will help cope with more ambient light. The X55R would probably be the best option. New JVC units do come out pretty soon (they've already been announced) but no one has reviewed them yet so there is no verdict on brightness and contrast, but all things point to higher brightness and contrast.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-31-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If I do go the JVC route, I will definitely wait for the new ones go ship. Interesting that their less expensive ones have more lumens. Thanks!

Also, what is the difference between the X and RS models?
post #4 of 4 Old 10-31-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
If I do go the JVC route, I will definitely wait for the new ones go ship. Interesting that their less expensive ones have more lumens. Thanks!

Also, what is the difference between the X and RS models?

There is no real difference between the X and RS lines other than distribution channels. Also, if you wait until they start shipping, rather than pre - order one from us at AV Science, you may find that you wind up paying more money and waiting to get one. They could wind up being back ordered - right during the holidays!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - 5030ub by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page