Runco LS-3 or JVC DLA-X35 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-31-2013, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello! I need some assistance please. I am in the market for a projector and the Runco LS-3 and the JVC DLA-X35 have been recommended to me. I do not know much about home theater. Does anyone have an opinion on these options? I do not care about 3D. I am just looking for the best all around projector.

I am concerned that the Runco is an older projector. Does its technology still rival some newer models in that price range.

I appreciate any advice. For the amount of money I will be spending on this project, I don't want to screw it up!

Thank you,
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-31-2013, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Unfortunately there is no clear cut answer. With projectors you need to pick your poison and decide what you value most within a moving image. Both of the projectors have their own strengths and in the end it's going to be what you prefer in the image that will dictate which projector you'll buy. The X35 is a great choice if you want the best contrast performance. That's going to be the largest difference between the two units. The LS-3 will have a more 3D "looking through a window" type of look to the image with brighter material like daytime movie scenes, sports, or certain TV shows. This is a classic trait of a good DLP unit. The JVC doesn't look bad with this type of material but the LS-3 will have a noticeable advantage. The LS-3 is great with contrast for a DLP unit. It's one of the better ones for sure but side by side you will notice that the X35 handles dark scenes noticeably better. The LS-3 is better with motion. Overall things will look at little less "smeared" and pans and movement will look more natural and more of how you would expect it to look. The X35 isn't horrible with motion, but its something you'd notice side by side. An untrained and inexperienced eye most likely will not have an issue with the X35's motion performance. It's one of those things where if you've used a DLP projector in the past you know you've seen better and want better motion performance from the JVC from time to time. The LS-3 has a fantastic lens and being a single chip DLP it's going to have one of the sharpest looking images in front projection. The JVC will depend on how well the convergence of the three LCoS chips are and how well the lens sample is on the particular unit you receive. So the perceived sharpness of the JVC will be a mixed bag. I can tell you out of the 5 JVC's I've owned thus far all had excellent convergence, but the lens samples on each varied. The X55R I have now has the best convergence and lens out of all five and the result is the sharpest, most natural looking image, I've seen from any non-single chip DLP. But this outcome isn't guranteed. The X30 I had looked much softer due to a sub-par (in my opinion at least) lens.

What screen size are you going to go with and is the room you're placing the projector in a dedicated space that has 100% light control? If there is ambient light the X35 loses a LOT of the contrast advantage because the ambient light will wash out the great blacks the X35 is capable of. Both are fantastic projectors anyone would be happy with and the LS-3's image is still one of the best DLP images you're going to get for under $10000, but as I said, each projector has it's pros and cons. If you can, see if these are on display locally and demo them to see which image you like better. If you want one of the best high contrast projectors I'd say suck it up and get the JVC. If you're okay with only great contrast performance and the other benefits single chip DLP has I'd say go with the LS-3. I'm currently using a JVC DLA-X55R and while I love the image it throws there are several aspects of the my old Planar PD8150 (now being sold as the Runco LS-5) that I truly miss.

As previously mentioned, pick your poison. tongue.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-01-2013, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you so much for the response. I appreciate your feedback! It sounds like they are both very good projectors.

The screen I am thinking about using is the Stewart Firehawk 123" screen. I am also considering the Black Diamond 113". My plan is to watch sports and movies, and the screen is not real close to a window. The lighting control is good, but not perfect, and I will be using this during the day and night.

My original plan was the Runco LS-3 with the Stewart Firehawk.
I am now also considering the JVC DLA-X35 with the Black Diamond.

Any preference on the screen?

Once again, I appreciate your help!!!!

Tim
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page