Runco LS-3. Dated? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-03-2013, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello. I need some advice please. I'm looking for a projector in the $3000-$4500 range. Anybody have any recommendations? I am leaning towards the Runco LS-3. My only concern is that it has been on the market for quite some time. Does anybody have an opinion on this? Thank you very much for the help!

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 310
It's still an excellent projector. I think the only competition in regards to picture quality at this price point will be a JVC projector. There is very little information about Runco products here on the forum but a TON on the JVCs. But know the LS-3 is still a fantastic performer and one of the best under $10000 DLP projectors out there currently. The JVC has it's strength with contrast performance whereas the Runco will have a sharper looking picture with more pop in brighter scenes and the Runco is better on a native level with motion handling. Out of the box color is almost perfect as Runco calibrates all their units at the factory. The Runco is definitely a more "set and forget it" type of product that needs almost no tweaks to get it to look right out of the box.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 401
If there is no interest in 3D, it's a very nice 2D projector with excellent out of the box color performance. The only real caveat is the manual lens adjustments and the long mounting distance required for the standard lens. There is an optional short throw lens available.

Is the room light controlled? what is the screen size?
Old 11-03-2013, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for your responses. This makes me feel more comfortable.

My screen size is prob going to be a 123 Stewart Firehawk. I am also considering the Black Diamond 113. Does the Black Diamond go bigger than this? I would love you advice on the screen as well. The lighting won't be perfect, but will be controlled. I realize the Black Diamond will look better in a lit room between the two, but which is the overall better performer?

Thank you!
Old 11-03-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim821 View Post

My screen size is prob going to be a 123 Stewart Firehawk. I am also considering the Black Diamond 113. Does the Black Diamond go bigger than this? I would love you advice on the screen as well. The lighting won't be perfect, but will be controlled. I realize the Black Diamond will look better in a lit room between the two, but which is the overall better performer?

Thank you!

The version with frame is a max 16:9 size of 113". The Zero Edge has a max 16:9 size of 115". If we can help you with screen advice and pricing, give us a call.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 11-03-2013, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim821 View Post

Thank you!

If you can get ambient light and room reflections under control the Stewart is by far a nicer screen. The Stewart performs best with dark treated walls/ceilings and in rooms with dark color carpets. If you're planning on putting the projector in a room with white walls and shiny hardwood floors, even if there is no ambient light in the room, definitely get the black diamonds screen as the projected light will bounce off the Stewart screen surface hit those hardwood floors and white walls, bounce back on the the screen and wash out the image to a certain noticeable degree.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:07 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I have been looking at this projector as well as the Ls5. Just be careful; the ls3 does not have any horizontal lens shift. So it will be more difficult to line the ls3 up with the screen than the ls5.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

If you can get ambient light and room reflections under control the Stewart is by far a nicer screen. The Stewart performs best with dark treated walls/ceilings and in rooms with dark color carpets. If you're planning on putting the projector in a room with white walls and shiny hardwood floors, even if there is no ambient light in the room, definitely get the black diamonds screen as the projected light will bounce off the Stewart screen surface hit those hardwood floors and white walls, bounce back on the the screen and wash out the image to a certain noticeable degree.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting points. Thanks. We have light walls, so I may have to paint or go with the black diamond. Thanks!

Tags
Stewart Firehawk G3