Looking to update HT - Projector/screen, other "must haves" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-04-2013, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

This is my first post but I have been searching around for solutions for a couple of weeks now.  I live in Green Bay, WI (need to get this post in before MNF Bears game) and don't really know where to turn for advice locally so I thought I would do some web research which is how I found this great forum!  While I thought I knew a decent amount of info on home theaters, I have quickly discovered that not only is my current equipment way behind the times, but so is my knowledge.

First off, I will tell you about my current set up and where I am looking to go:

Home theater is part of large open room with bar.  Room size is 20ft wide x 29 feet long.

Projector seating area is carpeted with light berber and is approx. 20ft wide x 15 feet.  The area behind the carpet (20 x 14) is tiled.  We have 3 recliners directly in front of the screen about 14 feet back plus a couch on the left wall (of course I never sit here).  I may look to replace these three recliners with 4 total and would look potentially getting some Buttkickers for them - not sure yet.  There are no windows in the room so we have complete control of the lights.  We use the projector for movies and sports mainly.  Rarely do we ever have any lights on during viewing (mainly due to the limitation of the projector).

Projector = Sharpvision XV-Z10000 = .8 DLP, 800 lumens, 2600:1, 1080i, projector is ~18" long - limited to DVI or component connections

Screen = 106" Draper Targa with hi-def grey 16:9

*I have a metal I-Beam running the width of my room and not very high.  As a result, I have to mount current/future projectors on the front side of this beam.  This results in an approx. limit of only 12.5' or 150 inch throw.  As a result, my current projector only throws ~90" image on my 106" screen.

Speakers - I have 7 Nile HD in-wall speakers, center speaker, 2 larger fronts, and 4 surround speakers of the same side - 2 sides, and 2 rears.  I am not positive the model number of these but they were high end 9-10 years ago and still sound great so I don't plan to replace these.  I also have a Mirage BPS-150 wt bi-polar Sub located in left front corner of room.  I would potentially consider a second sub but this is prob. not a priority.

Sound - I have a Sunfire Ultimate receiver which is 7+1 I believe - all at 200wt/chan.  This was a great receiver at the time but lacks the connections needed for todays HDMI input/outputs.  Because of this, I just ordered a Onkyo TX717 receiver and will connect the Sunfire and use the power from it once I receive it.

I have never had my audio or video professionally set up or calibrated but would be interested in having this done for sure, especially if I replace the projector.

This is what I am looking to do:

Buy a new projector that will be able to play 3D, improve resolution/picture quality, and throw a min of 106 for my current screen.  I would also entertain replacing my screen if I could go up to a 119 or  133" if possible.  If so, I would look for a tab-tensioned electric version with ReAct coating (same as new Stewart Firehawk I am told).

My dilemma is whether to buy a ~$2.5 - 4,000 projector now and then replace with 4K projector in 2-3 years, spend nearly $15K for a 4K Sony today, or do nothing until the 4K's come down to ~$7500 (2 years?).  The projectors I am considering if not the 4K Sony would include the JVC DLA-500, Panasonic AE8000, or the Sony VPL-HW55ES.

Also, if I am taking the plunge on the projector and potentially a new screen, are there any other must have pieces of equipment (Darblet/processors/etc..) that I should consider?  I don't want to throw money in the wind but don't want to leave out any critical pieces that I haven't considers.

I have seen that others have painted their walls/ceilings black and laid black material in front of the screen.  This is probably not something that will work for us….still, I would consider if it is critical.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to include as much as possible.  If necessary, I can try to include images.

Thank you for any input and thoughts on what I should do!!!!

David V

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-04-2013, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that I would probably want to hook up a PS3 or PS4 to the new projector if that makes any difference in projectors. I realize there probably isn't a projector that is best in 2D, 3D, and gaming, short of paying $$$$. Just looking for the best overall projector which can do most thing very well.

Thanks again!
post #3 of 4 Old 11-04-2013, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
I would be looking in the $3k-5k range - probably JVC and expect to upgrade in the same price range again in 3-5 years. But I tend to shop in the value (i.e. the bottom of this forum) range of the market. You will only get so much effective contrast in your room.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-13-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I ordered the Sony HW-55es.  Once I have it, I will decide whether to upgrade from my 106" screen to a 119" Draper ReAct Premier.  Anyone familiar with this screen?

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr717 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - Nr717 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page