Short(ish) throw DLP projector recommendation? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-05-2013, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to upgrade my projector. I've had an Optoma H78DC3 for years and was happy with the quality - apparently I don't see rainbows. However I recently tied a Panasonic AE8000 and that was a complete fiasco. I may not see DLP rainbows but apparently I am hypersensitive to 3 LCD alignment issues. It wasn't just the PJ I tried either. I've since visited a couple of showrooms in the area and tried a few other LCDs and I saw terrible color fringing on all of them.

TL;DR I'm sticking with single chip DLP.

I also need it to work with a 1.0 gain, 130" wide 2.35:1 screen at 15 feet, i.e. ~1.4 throw ratio. The room is light controlled, but I want it to be somewhat lit in some circumstances - it's just easier in situations where people are coming and going a lot - so the PJ needs to be reasonably bright. The 2400 lumen AE8000 did well in that respect. I'm not at all keen on retroreflective screens - the falloff and grain is too visible to me.

I've been scouring the review sites and haven't had much luck finding something that meets all these criteria. There are some crazy high brightness projectors that would work, but I worry about black level performance in a dark room when using those.

Any suggestions from people with similar setups?

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread