Best alternative 3D glasses for 5030 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-05-2013, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My 5030 has been installed for only a few days, and I'm just getting ready to watch my first 3D blu-ray (I ordered Avatar and Star Trek ID, but I know that if I really love 3D and want to show people many 3D movies, two sets of glasses won't do the trick. Manufacturers and dealers aren't very helpful at telling you what glasses are compatible with what projectors (except that a model by one manufacturer will go with that manufacturer's display devices). Epson's glasses are around $85 or so. A set from Samsung that seem well-liked by Amazon buyers sells for $49. But I don't know if they're compatible. Does anyone have experience at attempting other brands of glasses with Epson projectors -- especially the 5020/5030.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-05-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarkow View Post

My 5030 has been installed for only a few days, and I'm just getting ready to watch my first 3D blu-ray (I ordered Avatar and Star Trek ID, but I know that if I really love 3D and want to show people many 3D movies, two sets of glasses won't do the trick. Manufacturers and dealers aren't very helpful at telling you what glasses are compatible with what projectors (except that a model by one manufacturer will go with that manufacturer's display devices). Epson's glasses are around $85 or so. A set from Samsung that seem well-liked by Amazon buyers sells for $49. But I don't know if they're compatible. Does anyone have experience at attempting other brands of glasses with Epson projectors -- especially the 5020/5030.

Two of the most popular "low cost" glasses compatible with the Epson projectors are those from Samsung (HERE) for $19 per pair or the ValueView 3D (HERE) for $28/pair (with rechargeable battery).

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3 of 5 Old 11-06-2013, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the comment and for your suggestions, which look really good. I wear glasses, so not all 3D glasses are comfortable for me. Any sense of whether the two you suggested are okay for "over the glasses" comfort?
post #4 of 5 Old 11-06-2013, 10:40 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarkow View Post

Thanks for the comment and for your suggestions, which look really good. I wear glasses, so not all 3D glasses are comfortable for me. Any sense of whether the two you suggested are okay for "over the glasses" comfort?

I bought some of the $19 Samsung ones for my 5030 and my wife says they are comfortable wearing her glasses.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-09-2013, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

I ended up with the Panasonic TY-ER3D4MU glasses, which synched up perfectly with my projector and work about the same as the Epson glasses. Their shape and size are similar as well, and I am able to comfortable wear them over my regular glasses. However, I have to remember not to push back on the 3D glasses like I do on my regular glasses, which can cause some smearing type effect on my regular lens (I think it may be moisture forming between the two lenses). Otherwise, highly recommended.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page