Marantz VP11S2 Replacement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-10-2013, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I have a Marantz VP11S2. It’s incredibly sharp and throws an image with great depth and shadow detail. However, it’s always suffered from a struggle with brightness, and as a result I’ve kept it at open iris with high bulb, so contrast takes a big hit, as well as increased fan noise.

My room is NOT a dedicated theater room; it’s a finished basement with a drop-down 92” diagonal Screen Research screen (unity gain). Walls are beige, ceilings are white, and unfortunately the boss says that’s not going to change! But when we watch movies all light is off – the room is totally dark.

I wanted to get something brighter, with better contrast, and POSSIBLY 3D. My only 3D experience has been with my sisters LCD TV on an animated movie, and let’s just say I was underwhelmed. But it seems those who like it really like it, and I wouldn't mind playing around with it, but not at the expense of a drop in my 2D quality.

I will say I’m DLP biased; I’ve only owned a Dwin TV3 and the 11S2. I auditioned the JVC RS20 years ago and the DLP pop and sharpness is something I’d have a hard time giving up, though I know sticking with DLP will limit how dramatic my improvement in contrast can be.

With that said, I’ve had a number of helpful conversations with Craig here at AVS and reserved one of the incoming M-vision Cine LED 1000s. But I’m wondering if I should be going with the M-Vision Cine 320 3D. Both were announced at Cedia this year.

M-Vision Cine LED 1000: The much higher-priced Sim2 Mico150 has gotten great reviews, and this is supposed to be just as bright. The “Dynamic Contrast” feature increases contrast on darker scenes to 10,000:1 (I’m sure native is 2-3,000:1). And of course, LEDs don’t fade like bulbs. Con: no 3D. And I’m wondering if contrast will really be that much better than the open-iris Marantz if I don’t like the Dynamic Black feature (a few reviewers didn’t use it.)

M-Vision Cine 320 3D: Much brighter than my Marantz at 4,000 lumens – probably even overkill for my room. 3D should do well as there will be brightness to spare. Only 2,000:1 contrast, so can’t imagine any better than my Marantz. And I would imagine it can’t be quiet with that brightness! And usual hassle with bulb dimming, replacement, then recalibration, etc.

So, after a long intro, I guess I’m asking who has actually SEEN M-Vision projectors who is familiar with the Marantz? Particularly the models listed as 2000:1 contrast (as manufacturer-quoted numbers don't seem to mean much)? Not much discussion on these forums about M-Vision, yet reviews are consistently good. Based on the Sim2 Micos and original Cine LED, will the Cine LED 1000 be enough difference to warrant the change from the Marantz? Will the contrast on the 320 3D possibly be WORSE than my open-iris 11S2? Anything else I should be weighing into the equation here?

Thanks for any thoughts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-10-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

I still have my 11s2 also. I'm looking at the Sony's 500es and 55es and the Epson 5030. I've ruled out JVC until I see a review that says they do good 3D
post #3 of 8 Old 11-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have seen the Sim2 M150, Sony VW1000ES, the Marantz 11S1 and currently own an IN83 which is one of the brighter single chippers. The M150 is definitely brighter than the 11S1, I saw the M150 on a 110" screen with the lights off it looked great, with a couple of low lights on, still OK for TV viewing in my opinion. From the reports of the Cine 1000, it seems to perform similarly, perhaps even brighter.

I have the Sharp Z15000 which is around 1000 lumens with a new bulb, my IN83 is noticeably brighter. Its rated at 1600 lumens but ProjectorReviews measured it at around 1700 with contrast set to default. It is an order of brightness better than the Z15000. I tend to watch the IN83 with lights on a lot of the time and for me, it does a decent job. From seeing the M150 I was considering it to be a viable alternative but would probably need a screen with a bit of gain. You'll notice an improvement in colour and contrast with an LED, plus lack of a colour wheel - its hard to go wrong.

The Sony VW1000 looked comparable in brightness to the IN83 and from what people are saying the VW500 is very close if not the same. The VW1000 was the first non-DLP projector that I have been tempted by in a while, it has a DLPish look to it, for want of a better term smile.gif

Now I would be the first person to tell you to demo a projector before making a decision and not to rely on screenshots but if you look at the screenshot thread, you can see a comparison of images from Life of Pi with a JVC and the Sony. I might give you some impression of what to expect from the Sony.

I would say if want to keep the DLP look but with some higher brightness and other improvements go for the Cine 1000. If lumens are of a higher priority, you fancy something different with improvements in contrast, look at the VW500. In my opinion, an Epson, JVC or 1080p Sony will be a step down in quality from the 11S2

post #4 of 8 Old 11-10-2013, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I guess it would't hurt to look at the Sony VW1000ES that my local Magnolia has up. I'd never pay that much, but it would at least allow me to test out a better 3D experience than my sisters LCD TV to see if it's worth investing in. From what i've read, the new Sony 500/600ES uses a different lens than the 1000ES. As sharpness is so important to me I'm thinking that going with the Cine 1000 and picking up a cheap, high powered 3D projector to play around with (if something like that exists) may be my best option at this point (unless I'm really blown away either by the Sony projector or the 3D experience).

With that being said, still surprised to see so little written about the M-Vision non-LED models. A couple positive Cine 230 reviews on the web, but otherwise they're kind of an enigma...
post #5 of 8 Old 11-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
As far as the DPI single chip models go, I doubt they will look very different from the 11S2, if anything I would expect the 11S2 to look sharper. They have a couple of brighter single chip models but contrast is lower on those. As far as their 3 chip models go, the cheaper ones use .65" chips so not sure if they will produce the sharpness and 'Pop' your used to. Their Titan range use .95" DLP chips but cost an arm and a leg.

post #6 of 8 Old 11-11-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Verbow, you could improve your brightness and/or contrast as well as lessen the effect of the room by using a retroreflective gain screen like the Dalite Hipower.

I'd try to find a used 2.8, which will $save and save you from having to deal with potential quality issues that the new 2.4 material is plagued with.

Noah
post #7 of 8 Old 11-11-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Verbow, you could improve your brightness and/or contrast as well as lessen the effect of the room by using a retroreflective gain screen like the Dalite Hipower.

I'd try to find a used 2.8, which will $save and save you from having to deal with potential quality issues that the new 2.4 material is plagued with.

+1
I bought one of Seegs PD8150's and use it on low lamp on my 110" HP 2.8 and my C6 colorimeter reads 20fl at my seat 13' away. You really should keep that projector. Or at the very least, be able to return whatever you do buy if you are not $5000 wowed by it..
post #8 of 8 Old 11-11-2013, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately the room and screen are kind of set. The screen is a motorized drop down that covers the speakers in a custom shelving unit so I'm kind of stuck with the unity gain (SR screens are acoustically transparent). No way I'd get the ok to have a permanent screen covering that shelving unit frown.gif Not to mention that blocking the speakers would then be a problem…

I spoke to the M-Vision sales manager today and he thinks I'll be quite "wowed" by the LED. They couldn't keep up with the orders after Cedia. But yes, I do have a concern that that may not be the case and need to get better clarification on the return policy.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Marantz Vp 11s2 Dlp Projector , Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page