AVS Forum banner

JVC DLA-RS4810 (or RS4910) vs. Runco LS-3. Preference?

5K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  david1111 
#1 ·

Hello,

Can someone help me please?  I have been talking to people and reading some of these threads...and I am confused.   I will be using the projector primarily for sports and movies.  This will be in an open area with some controlled lighting, but it will often not be in pitch black.  I am not concerned about the 3D.  I will most likely use a 120 Stewart Firehawk Screen (although a Black Diamond is under consideration).

Which projector is the better buy?

Is the e-shift 4K technology worth it?

Thank you for your assistance!

Dave

See less See more
#2 ·
E-shift does not make any substantial difference in picture quality. I used to own a Planar PD8150 (an earlier incarnation of the Runco LS-5 before Planar bought Runco) and now the JVC X55R (pro version of the RS4810). Both have their own strengths. Both are excellent projectors. There is no clear cut answer on which is truly better so don't expect to get one. The 4810 has it's strength in native on/off contrast performance and the LS-3 has it's strengths with image sharpness, better motion handling, and a more "3D" look with brighter content. Both are bright enough for your screen size. The Runco is more of a "plug n' play" projector in that it comes almost fully calibrated out of the box, whereas the the JVC needs a bit of help with color performance.

My suggestion would be to demo each and make a decision for yourself as to which one you like more. Like I said, after owning both, neither is clearly the better projector. Both have street prices within a few hundred dollars of one another, which makes the decision that much more difficult to make. Know that the LS-3 and LS-5 are probably the best DLP projectors currently in the under $10000 projector market and the JVC DLA-RS4810 is best value out of all the projectors JVC is currently putting out.

#3 ·
With regards to eshift not making a significant difference in PQ, I think eshift 2 was more noticeable than eshift 1. Unless you have a large screen 120in+ and close seating, eshift 1 will not be as noticeable, at least it was in my case. Eshift 2 was more noticeable, but I don't know how much I gained for having it on, didn't have it for too long. But if you could get a pre order for the 4910, that would be a great value.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1111  /t/1499002/jvc-dla-rs4810-or-rs4910-vs-runco-ls-3-preference#post_23933841

Hello,

Can someone help me please?  I have been talking to people and reading some of these threads...and I am confused.   I will be using the projector primarily for sports and movies.  This will be in an open area with some controlled lighting, but it will often not be in pitch black.  I am not concerned about the 3D.  I will most likely use a 120 Stewart Firehawk Screen (although a Black Diamond is under consideration).

Which projector is the better buy?

Is the e-shift 4K technology worth it?

Thank you for your assistance!

Dave

Sent you a PM.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108  /t/1499002/jvc-dla-rs4810-or-rs4910-vs-runco-ls-3-preference#post_23934000

E-shift does not make any substantial difference in picture quality. I used to own a Planar PD8150 (an earlier incarnation of the Runco LS-5 before Planar bought Runco) and now the JVC X55R (pro version of the RS4810). Both have their own strengths. Both are excellent projectors. There is no clear cut answer on which is truly better so don't expect to get one. The 4810 has it's strength in native on/off contrast performance and the LS-3 has it's strengths with image sharpness, better motion handling, and a more "3D" look with brighter content. Both are bright enough for your screen size. The Runco is more of a "plug n' play" projector in that it comes almost fully calibrated out of the box, whereas the the JVC needs a bit of help with color performance.

My suggestion would be to demo each and make a decision for yourself as to which one you like more. Like I said, after owning both, neither is clearly the better projector. Both have street prices within a few hundred dollars of one another, which makes the decision that much more difficult to make. Know that the LS-3 and LS-5 are probably the best DLP projectors currently in the under $10000 projector market and the JVC DLA-RS4810 is best value out of all the projectors JVC is currently putting out.

Thank you very much for your response. I know now why I'm having such a hard time making a decision.

So, for watching sports, do you think the Runco would be better due to the motion control? If you were me, and your primary uses would sports and movies, with light elsewhere in the basement sometimes...which one would you buy? I will try to demo them, but I would love your opinion.

Thanks,

Dave

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120  /t/1499002/jvc-dla-rs4810-or-rs4910-vs-runco-ls-3-preference#post_23934721

With regards to eshift not making a significant difference in PQ, I think eshift 2 was more noticeable than eshift 1. Unless you have a large screen 120in+ and close seating, eshift 1 will not be as noticeable, at least it was in my case. Eshift 2 was more noticeable, but I don't know how much I gained for having it on, didn't have it for too long. But if you could get a pre order for the 4910, that would be a great value.

Thanks for your response. My screen will be 123" prob, so it's something I have to consider I guess. Why did you not have the e-shift 2 for long? Find something better?

Thanks,

Dave

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1111  /t/1499002/jvc-dla-rs4810-or-rs4910-vs-runco-ls-3-preference#post_23935227

Thanks for your response. My screen will be 123" prob, so it's something I have to consider I guess. Why did you not have the e-shift 2 for long? Find something better?

Thanks,

Dave

123" wide or diagonal and what aspect ratio 16:9 or 2.35:1 ? Big difference in size between the two and when going 2.35:1 zoomed you loose a lot of brightness due to having to loose the top and bottom the display. If you have or plan to aquire the anamorphic lens

then you will gain this back .

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13  /t/1499002/jvc-dla-rs4810-or-rs4910-vs-runco-ls-3-preference#post_23935262

123" wide or diagonal and what aspect ratio 16:9 or 2.35:1 ? Big difference in size between the two and when going 2.35:1 zoomed you loose a lot of brightness due to having to loose the top and bottom the display. If you have or plan to aquire the anamorphic lens

then you will gain this back .

Hi,

I believe its 123" diagonal (Stewart Firehawk) and 16:9. Will this be fine?

#11 ·
Just so everyone knows. The new Firehawk is the G4 and its gain is only 1.1. Firehawk G3 and LS have been discontinued and they had gains of approximately 1.25. G4 has a minimum throw requirement of 1.5 times the screen width for a 16/9 screen width. Here the screen width rounded up two tenths is 107 inches, so the minimum throw to avoid hot spotting would be 160.5 inches and I would add another three inches if possible, so lets call it a minimum throw of 164 inches meased horizontally from the screen plane to lens element front.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1111  /t/1499002/jvc-dla-rs4810-or-rs4910-vs-runco-ls-3-preference/0_40#post_23935227

Thanks,

Dave

I had it for 3 months. Someone wanted to buy it from for a good price, so I just sold it to get what I thought would be a native 4k jvc this year. I got another deal on a DPI LED projector, so I passed on the jvc this time around. I think you should consider the Sony HW50/55 over the jvc if you watch sports also or get a two projector setup with a benq and jvc. I always have two projectors until recently. One was for movies, which was the jvc and a benq for sports and 3D. But if you are looking for one projector, look at the Sony HW50/55 also. Or a good dlp like the one you mentioned. What's your budget?

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120  /t/1499002/jvc-dla-rs4810-or-rs4910-vs-runco-ls-3-preference#post_23935502

I had it for 3 months. Someone wanted to buy it from for a good price, so I just sold it to get what I thought would be a native 4k jvc this year. I got another deal on a DPI LED projector, so I passed on the jvc this time around. I think you should consider the Sony HW50/55 over the jvc if you watch sports also or get a two projector setup with a benq and jvc. I always have two projectors until recently. One was for movies, which was the jvc and a benq for sports and 3D. But if you are looking for one projector, look at the Sony HW50/55 also. Or a good dlp like the one you mentioned. What's your budget?

My budget for the projector is $3000-$5000 probably

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1111  /t/1499002/jvc-dla-rs4810-or-rs4910-vs-runco-ls-3-preference#post_23935237

Thank you. How does JVC handle sports?

I think it does fine with sports. I do not think anyone I know who has a "newer" JVC has really ever said anything about disliking sports on the JVC. It's not DLP, or Sony Great, but not objectionable.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK  /t/1499002/jvc-dla-rs4810-or-rs4910-vs-runco-ls-3-preference/0_50#post_23936261

I think it does fine with sports. I do not think anyone I know who has a JVC has really ever said anything about disliking sports on the JVC. It's not DLP, or Sony Great, but not objectionable.

Go back a few generations and you'll start to see people complain. The last two generations are just borderline acceptable in regards to native motion handling with 24p content in my opinion. Motion is no longer an annoyance when watching 24p films on a JVC projector. Sports are not presented at 24p and require better motion performance. DLP is still king with native motion handling for digital front projection and if he plans on watching a LOT of sports I'd say get the LS-3. But if it's the occasional game a few times a week the JVC should be fine.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1111  /t/1499002/jvc-dla-rs4810-or-rs4910-vs-runco-ls-3-preference#post_23935308

Hi,

I believe its 123" diagonal (Stewart Firehawk) and 16:9. Will this be fine?

If 123" diagonal and the Firehawk is 1.1 gain as someone suggested then I believe you will be OK at best for 2D , 3D or watching in a room with light will be out of the question. If you stick with this screen you will be limited to a few projectors within your budget.

I'd consider going with a couple of PJ's that you can stack , this would be about the only option with the screen size and gain you have at present.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13  /t/1499002/jvc-dla-rs4810-or-rs4910-vs-runco-ls-3-preference#post_23936739

If 123" diagonal and the Firehawk is 1.1 gain as someone suggested then I believe you will be OK at best for 2D , 3D or watching in a room with light will be out of the question. If you stick with this screen you will be limited to a few projectors within your budget.

I'd consider going with a couple of PJ's that you can stack , this would be about the only option with the screen size and gain you have at present.

Interesting points...

If I just purchased one projector is there a screen that would better fit my needs?

Thank you

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1111  /t/1499002/jvc-dla-rs4810-or-rs4910-vs-runco-ls-3-preference#post_23936130

I'm not sure. Never really considered it. Something to think about.

Thanks

You get the best of value for your money. But its not for everyone. If you can position them correctly, it works out great. Many members for 2-3 projector setups.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1111  /t/1499002/jvc-dla-rs4810-or-rs4910-vs-runco-ls-3-preference#post_23936781

Interesting points...

If I just purchased one projector is there a screen that would better fit my needs?

Thank you

Since you are not interested in 3D, your screen should be fine. If you plan on having lights on, the firehawk will help. Also, if you are not ceiling mounting the projector and are placing the projector on a shelf, a High Power screen will be a good fit. If its a light control room, a white screen will work best. There are a lot of inexpensive choices, you just have to know where to look

#24 ·
Than
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120  /t/1499002/jvc-dla-rs4810-or-rs4910-vs-runco-ls-3-preference#post_23936806

Since you are not interested in 3D, your screen should be fine. If you plan on having lights on, the firehawk will help. Also, if you are not ceiling mounting the projector and are placing the projector on a shelf, a High Power screen will be a good fit. If its a light control room, a white screen will work best. There are a lot of inexpensive choices, you just have to know where to look

Thanks. It will be mounted from the ceiling. I appreciate the info

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.