post #181 of 192 Old 09-13-2014, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
You have to move your mouse to reveal each shot. Outside of the picture is NNEDI3, inside is Jinc.

Wow, there really is a clear difference between the 2. Thanks. Think I will stick with NNEDI3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 192 Old 09-13-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicj1 View Post
Wow, there really is a clear difference between the 2. Thanks. Think I will stick with NNEDI3

You're welcome.

NNEDI3 is great, I use it to upscale DVDs to 1080p and I can (almost) watch DVDs again!
magicj1 likes this.
post #183 of 192 Old Yesterday, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 319
The new Nvidia cards with HDMI 2.0 are coming out sooner than I was expecting

http://videocardz.com/52362/only-at-...specifications

The article states the card will be the GTX 980, released on September 19th, 2014.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #184 of 192 Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
The new Nvidia cards with HDMI 2.0 are coming out sooner than I was expecting

http://videocardz.com/52362/only-at-...specifications

The article states the card will be the GTX 980, released on September 19th, 2014.
Thanks Zombie, do you know which level of HDMI 2.0 (A or B) and which version of HDCP? If it doesn't have HDCP 2.2 it's not going to be of much use in an HTPC (unless you really don't care about bluray 4K), and given its release date it's unlikely it does (or it will be a level B).
post #185 of 192 Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 319
my guess is that it's the limited bandwidth and no HDCP 2.2. for round 1. We'll have to wait until one of the tech sites does a deep dive once it's released. I'm mainly interested in UHD gaming right now which the 780 GTX Ti can handle so I wouldn't likely upgrade until it's more future proof.

post #186 of 192 Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
my guess is that it's the limited bandwidth and no HDCP 2.2. for round 1. We'll have to wait until one of the tech sites does a deep dive once it's released. I'm mainly interested in UHD gaming right now which the 780 GTX Ti can handle so I wouldn't likely upgrade until it's more future proof.

If it's the limited bandwidth they'll probably have HDCP 2.2. We'll see. For UHD gaming it's going to be while before you need more than 8 bits .

As I'm not really a gamer I'm more of an AMD guy, so hopefully AMD will deliver the goods. They tend to work better in an HTPC in my experience, especially re 3D, black levels, and TMT compatibility.
post #187 of 192 Old Yesterday, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
If it's the limited bandwidth they'll probably have HDCP 2.2. We'll see. For UHD gaming it's going to be while before you need more than 8 bits .

As I'm not really a gamer I'm more of an AMD guy, so hopefully AMD will deliver the goods. They tend to work better in an HTPC in my experience, especially re 3D, black levels, and TMT compatibility.

Why will gaming only use 8 bits for awhile?
post #188 of 192 Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
Why will gaming only use 8 bits for awhile?
Because the amount of data to move in 4K (UHD) in real time at up to 60fps (for fluidity) is huge, so I guess it's going to max at 420 8 bits for a while (for games).

I might be wrong of course

You could get 444 at 60fps in 8 bits with HDMI 2.0 level A though, and that would improve the quality (if the drivers/game devs support it).
If I had to choose between higher frame rates and higher bit depth for games, I'd go for higher frame rates, so I think the next step for games is 444 (for better chroma subsampling) rather than higher bit depth (so they can keep the fps up to 60).

Last edited by Manni01; Yesterday at 08:49 AM.
post #189 of 192 Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Because the amount of data to move in 4K (UHD) in real time at up to 60fps (for fluidity) is huge, so I guess it's going to max at 420 8 bits for a while (for games).

I might be wrong of course

You could get 444 at 60fps in 8 bits with HDMI 2.0 level A though, and that would improve the quality (if the drivers/game devs support it).
If I had to choose between higher frame rates and higher bit depth for games, I'd go for higher frame rates, so I think the next step for games is 444 (for better chroma subsampling) rather than higher bit depth (so they can keep the fps up to 60).
I been waiting on the new graphic cards that are hdmi 2.0 to support the higher bandwidth. I know the current cards can do 420 at 8bits now. I guess I still should wait, I don't know.
post #190 of 192 Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
I been waiting on the new graphic cards that are hdmi 2.0 to support the higher bandwidth. I know the current cards can do 420 at 8bits now. I guess I still should wait, I don't know.
If they have HDCP 2.2 (which you'll need for Bluray 4K to be playable with licensed players like TMT or PDVD) they won't have the full bandwidth as SI announced recently that the chipsets with both HDMI 2.0 level A and HDCP 2.2 were about to be delivered to manufacturers for the first products to be available by the end of the year. So a release date of 19th of September most likely means either 2.0 level A without HDCP 2.2 or 2.0 level B with HDCP 2.2. There is no way to know which one yet. If you're more into gaming, I'd go for the higher bandwidth. If you want to be able to play Bluray 4K with a BD or BDXL reader, then you need HDCP 2.2. If you want both, I'd wait a few months .
Personally I'm waiting for the first AMD with both HDMI 2.0 level A and HDCP 2.2.

Last edited by Manni01; Yesterday at 09:59 AM.
post #191 of 192 Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If they have HDCP 2.2 (which you'll need for Bluray 4K to be playable with licensed players like TMT or PDVD) they won't have the full bandwidth as SI announced recently that the chipsets with both HDMI 2.0 level A and HDCP 2.2 were about to be delivered to manufacturers for the first products to be available by the end of the year. So a release date of 19th of September most likely means either 2.0 level A without HDCP 2.2 or 2.0 level B with HDCP 2.2. There is no way to know which one yet. If you're more into gaming, I'd go for the higher bandwidth. If you want to be able to play Bluray 4K with a BD or BDXL reader, then you need HDCP 2.2. If you want both, I'd wait a few months .
Personally I'm waiting for the first AMD with both HDMI 2.0 level A and HDCP 2.2.
I'll wait. I was just hoping the more bandwidth will bring better graphics.
post #192 of 192 Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Thanks Zombie, do you know which level of HDMI 2.0 (A or B) and which version of HDCP? If it doesn't have HDCP 2.2 it's not going to be of much use in an HTPC (unless you really don't care about bluray 4K), and given its release date it's unlikely it does (or it will be a level B).
It's only a matter of a day or so until the full specs are announced at the Game24 event.

I'd be interested to see how this card copes with NNEDI3 to see if Nvidia can get closer to AMD in that respect.

Be interesting to see how long before AMD announces a new card with HDMI 2.0 as well.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page