VPL-VW1000ES and HTPC at 4k (native rez) - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #211 of 227 Old 09-19-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hifiaudio2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,701
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by cischico View Post
Yeah at higher resolutions its a little underpowered however it overclocks very generously.

Well actually it looks like I am completely wrong. I swear some review site I was reading yesterday showed the 780ti beating the 980 when it came to 4k resolutions in games, but the Anandtech review has the 980 pretty much winning every single contest. Anandtech always knows what they are doing, so I trust that. Looks like this card is a real winner.
hifiaudio2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #212 of 227 Old 09-19-2014, 07:04 AM
Senior Member
 
cischico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 33
It depends on the game of course, but I did read somewhere it started to lose steam at 4K resolution
cischico is online now  
post #213 of 227 Old 09-19-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Manni01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,424
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post
That same anandtech article has good info on the HDMI and H.265 encoding capabilities.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/n...x-980-review/5

Thanks, it seems to confirm full HDMI 2.0 bandwidth and at least partial HEVC.


IF HDCP 2.2 is cracked quickly, then these GPUs might be interesting. But if it takes a while, no bluray 4K playback unless GPUs can support HDCP 2.2 in software as suggested.


The initial specs of Bluray 4K are so disappointing that I certainly don't want to spend $1000 on a first gen hardware player, so my HTPC will have to be able to play the first titles.


With TMT sadly out of the arena, let's hope that PowerDVD stays alive while non licensed players catch up with full BD menus support and 3D bluray / MVC playback.

Last edited by Manni01; 09-19-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Manni01 is offline  
post #214 of 227 Old 09-19-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hifiaudio2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,701
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Well across all of the games that Anandtech looked at, plus the synthetic benchmarks, it won pretty much everything, even at 4k. Be sure to check that review if you didn't already.
hifiaudio2 is offline  
post #215 of 227 Old 09-19-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hifiaudio2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,701
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Thanks, it seems to confirm full HDMI 2.0 bandwidth and at least partial HEVC.


IF HDCP 2.2 is cracked quickly, then these GPUs might be interesting. But if it takes a while, no bluray 4K playback unless GPUs can support HDCP 2.2 in software as suggested.


The initial specs of Bluray 4K are so disappointing that I certainly don't want to spend $1000 on a first gen hardware player, so my HTPC will have to be able to play the first titles.


With TMT sadly out of the arena, let's hope that PowerDVD stays alive while non licensed players catch up with full menus support 3D bluray / MVC playback.
I think my main interests right now reside with being able to play current PC games on the Vizio 4k set I have coming next week and plan on using for a pc monitor. With 4k Blu Ray still being a year or so off, I can live with the unknown of whether this card will be great for that or not. Hopefully this one is a top MadVR card as well.
hifiaudio2 is offline  
post #216 of 227 Old 09-19-2014, 07:20 AM
Senior Member
 
cischico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Thanks, it seems to confirm full HDMI 2.0 bandwidth and at least partial HEVC.


IF HDCP 2.2 is cracked quickly, then these GPUs might be interesting. But if it takes a while, no bluray 4K playback unless GPUs can support HDCP 2.2 in software as suggested.


The initial specs of Bluray 4K are so disappointing that I certainly don't want to spend $1000 on a first gen hardware player, so my HTPC will have to be able to play the first titles.


With TMT sadly out of the arena, let's hope that PowerDVD stays alive while non licensed players catch up with full BD menus support and 3D bluray / MVC playback.

What do you mean TMT is out of the arena? Is the product dead?
cischico is online now  
post #217 of 227 Old 09-19-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Manni01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,424
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by cischico View Post
What do you mean TMT is out of the arena? Is the product dead?

Sadly yes http://www.arcsoft.com/forum/forum_p...-theater#54363


It's not officially announced but it's unofficially confirmed.

Last edited by Manni01; 09-19-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Manni01 is offline  
post #218 of 227 Old 09-19-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Manni01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,424
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post
I think my main interests right now reside with being able to play current PC games on the Vizio 4k set I have coming next week and plan on using for a pc monitor. With 4k Blu Ray still being a year or so off, I can live with the unknown of whether this card will be great for that or not. Hopefully this one is a top MadVR card as well.

If you're primarily into gaming it looks like a great card. I'm looking at it more from an HTPC point of view, and I don't like to replace my GPUs every year, so I got a 7870 with minimal 4K support to do some tests in 4K (video) and keep me going about a year ago and I'll upgrade again when I get HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0 level A and HEVC hardware decoding.


I'm sure it's a great card for MadVR, it has a lot of horsepower, I'll let Madshi comment on that.

Last edited by Manni01; 09-19-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Manni01 is offline  
post #219 of 227 Old 09-19-2014, 07:36 AM
Senior Member
 
cischico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

Wow that sucks...
cischico is online now  
post #220 of 227 Old 09-19-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Manni01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,424
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by cischico View Post
Wow that sucks...
Yep
Manni01 is offline  
post #221 of 227 Old 09-19-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
madshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,477
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
I'm sure it's a great card for MadVR, it has a lot of horsepower, I'll let Madshi comment on that.
If you've got the money, the 970 and 980 sure look like *GREAT* cards for madVR. Especially the power per watt ratio seems to be unprecedented - maybe even better than the 750(Ti), and that says a lot. I'd like to see some NNEDI3 benchmarks vs a high-end AMD GPU.
madshi is offline  
post #222 of 227 Old 09-19-2014, 08:11 AM
Senior Member
 
cischico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
If you've got the money, the 970 and 980 sure look like *GREAT* cards for madVR. Especially the power per watt ratio seems to be unprecedented - maybe even better than the 750(Ti), and that says a lot. I'd like to see some NNEDI3 benchmarks vs a high-end AMD GPU.
How would you benchmark? I have the 290x now and 980 is on the way
cischico is online now  
post #223 of 227 Old 09-19-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hifiaudio2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,701
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Where did you find the 980 in stock?
hifiaudio2 is offline  
post #224 of 227 Old 09-19-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,709
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post
Where did you find the 980 in stock?
I saw them on newegg this morning
blee0120 is offline  
post #225 of 227 Old 09-19-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
madshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,477
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by cischico View Post
How would you benchmark? I have the 290x now and 980 is on the way
For example, set MPC-HC to 200% view and playback some 1080p24 file. Then increase the neuron settings until one of the GPUs starts stuttering. Then go back one neuron setting, so both GPUs are fluid. Then compare the render times in the madVR debug OSD (Ctrl+J) to see which GPU has lower rendering times.
madshi is offline  
post #226 of 227 Old 09-19-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hifiaudio2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,701
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Got my 780ti sold for $550 and ordered the 980 for $569. Sounds good to me!
hifiaudio2 is offline  
post #227 of 227 Old 09-19-2014, 04:02 PM
Senior Member
 
cischico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
For example, set MPC-HC to 200% view and playback some 1080p24 file. Then increase the neuron settings until one of the GPUs starts stuttering. Then go back one neuron setting, so both GPUs are fluid. Then compare the render times in the madVR debug OSD (Ctrl+J) to see which GPU has lower rendering times.
Will do!
cischico is online now  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off