LCD life span any better these days? Owners past 10k hours on their units without any issues? Optic block/polarizer fails - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-11-2013, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am in the market again for a new projector and noticed the Epson 5030 at Magnolia and liked what I saw. However I remember having LCD optic block and blue polarizer issues on my old Sanyo projector and whites that turned piss color after a few years. My Sony VW40 has been a solid champ the past 5 years, I have the slightest degradation that started on it's 5th year(blue tinge on extreme bottom left corner) which right now is hardly noticeable, and has not worsened in the past 5 months.

Basically, I am wondering if LCD has made strides in this department, I have put about 14,000 hours on my VW40 and have been really impressed with LCOS overall. I know that my LCD was from the days of Organic panels but not sure what that really means. Anyone out there with a semi newer LCD projector that has put 10k hours without any image degradation?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-12-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Great question!

I hope someone with experience can chime in.

post #3 of 11 Old 11-13-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Guess I'm sticking with LCOS!
post #4 of 11 Old 11-13-2013, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 72
This thread may help you, from what it seems there was only one or two people who had had an lcd last for an extended period of time.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1498565/projector-life-not-the-lamp
post #5 of 11 Old 11-13-2013, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks, yeah I took a look...quite humorous in some posts. I'll prob stick with lcos
post #6 of 11 Old 11-13-2013, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccormack View Post

Thanks, yeah I took a look...quite humorous in some posts. I'll prob stick with lcos

No flame war at all. tongue.gif But still there are some good posts. smile.gif
post #7 of 11 Old 11-13-2013, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Even if the panels don't degrade, you'll still likely develop dust blobs eventually because LCD does not use a closed light path that is only possible with reflective tech (LCOS and DLP). That's enough to discourage me from ever buying LCD again.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-14-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Older LCD projectors used organic LCD panels which had a limited life. Newer home theater class LCD projectors from Epson (starting with the UB series) use inorganic LCD panels which have a much longer life (i.e., similar to Sony or JVC LCoS).

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #9 of 11 Old 11-14-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 560
the only LCD projectors I've used past a single bulb life are the business models we use at school. still I don't think they ever get close to 10k hours because they get upgraded before that point.

not to defend lcd, but I think in the last 5-8yrs lcd projectors have improved more than dlp or lcos, meaning that even a perfectly functioning lcd from 5yrs ago is hardly even worth the price of a new bulb anyway. I know I replaced mine that I bought only about 4yrs ago, with less than 2000hrs on the bulb, simply because a new projector I could buy for about 1000bux would blow it away! these are of course the 'cheaper' ones, I don't know what's happening 10k and up. tongue.gif

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #10 of 11 Old 11-15-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

the only LCD projectors I've used past a single bulb life are the business models we use at school. still I don't think they ever get close to 10k hours because they get upgraded before that point.

not to defend lcd, but I think in the last 5-8yrs lcd projectors have improved more than dlp or lcos, meaning that even a perfectly functioning lcd from 5yrs ago is hardly even worth the price of a new bulb anyway. I know I replaced mine that I bought only about 4yrs ago, with less than 2000hrs on the bulb, simply because a new projector I could buy for about 1000bux would blow it away! these are of course the 'cheaper' ones, I don't know what's happening 10k and up. tongue.gif

As I noted in my earlier post, projectors using Organic LCD panels will have a relative short lifetime. I suspect this type of LCD panels/chips are still being used in some, perhaps many, business class projectors and perhaps some low-end home theater projectors. However the Epson UB series of 1080p LCD projectors (these LCD panels are also used in Panasonic 1080p home theater projectors) use Inorganic LCD panels and have a much longer lifetime.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #11 of 11 Old 11-16-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 560
I guess I wasn't really clear. I wasn't saying that the business models we used broke, I was saying they got upgraded before they had a chance to 'wear out'.

the same is true of the Epson I replaced. it works perfectly still, just as good as the day I bought it. but how it worked the day I bought it is terrible by today's standards. that was my point, there seems to be more incentive to upgrade a working lcd projector(over the past half decade) than a good dlp or lcos that only made incremental improvements(in the value range anyway)

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Sony Sxrd Vpl Vw40 Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page