post #271 of 1370 Old 12-30-2013, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post

Set mine up yesterday, and so far wow. I came from the Epson 5010, using the same screen which is a 100" Black Diamond zero edge 0.8 gain. During the day it's not as bright as the Epson's torch mode vs. even HW55 game mode. Grant it I have a different room setup then when I had the 5010. That being said, the Sony in ALL modes the colors just seem to be better than the 5010. When the room gets just a little bit darker, it's like my panasonic plasma, but 100" smile.gif

Based on my room, & some WAF factor, I have it mounted 13' 7" back and about 7" above the top of the screen, which I know that extra 3' throw distance hurts my lumens. At night though, even with some ambient light on, it's BRIGHT, even in reference mode.

Currently my settings are Art's projectorreviews member settings. Not sure i need it calibrated as the colors are just so damn good. Step one though was to turn off motion effect in all settings.. it makes me sick w/ the soap opera effect.

For Reality Creation I have it set at 20 in all settings, what is everyone else setting it at?

For Iris, per Art, some settings I have it full auto, some off. Not sure I can tell the difference.

I was torn for weeks between this and the 5030. I'm glad I did the HW55. First, the fan is silent, definitely compared to the Epson which on high lamp mode you could definitely hear. The Sony, i'm sitting direclty below it at about 3ft & definitely can't hear it. In fact, my only complaint is during the day I can't tell if the damn thing is on or off since the standby/on light is tiny and barely visible, vs. the Epson had the power button on the side backlit in blue & was noisy..

I have a 60ft monoprice redmere HDMI cable running from a denon 4520. With the sony 5100 bluray the picture is jawdropping. I put in Great Gatsby as my first movie & the visuals are stunning.

My only problem is I also have a darbee, & everytime I plug it in I get a purple screen. My assumption is that at 60ft redmere I'm maxed out in HDMI distance, I even tried a 1.5ft hdmi cable when adding the darbee but that didn't work. Strange thing is that even if I only put the darbee between the dvd & receiver I still get no picture, so maybe from dvd to darbee to receiver & when it leave the receiver the hdmi signal is slightly weaker and there's some handshake issues at 60ft?

I really wanted the darbee in there as I was hoping it would improve image quality from MKV files, roku3, netflix, etc? Should i move to an HDMI balun? If so, any recommendations that aren't crazy expensive? Otherwise I would buy the oppo w/ darbee, but still wouldn't have darbee on my other devices. That being said is sony's Reality creation the same thing?

Maybe you need the new Darbee 5100CIE with phaseHD coming out next year.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1370 Old 12-30-2013, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

4hrs of troubleshooting and still frustrated. Hoping someone here can help my sanity..

I have a 60ft monoprice redmere cable to the HW55. When I first hooked it up to my Denon 4520 I only got audio, but with some plugging and unplugging cables I eventually got everything to work. Today when I tried integrating my darbee I unplugged and plugged in cables and now I get no picture frown.gif

when my installer tested with his HDMI tester he only got the bottom half of the lights to turn on, but I thought it might be because of them being redmere cables.. We eventually got everything working so didn't think much of it.

Now, the weird thing is if I plug my boxee or roku3 directly to the projector I get a picture fine. If I plug in the Sony 5100 bluray player I get no picture. Yesterday, it worked fine, today no matter what I do, nothing.

When I go thru the receiver, I get only audio on the roku3, but no picture or audio on bluray, or boxee. On the Sony projector though when I view device list under HDMI sometimes it'll see the bluray player, I even got it to see the chromecast as well (thru the receiver)

When I chatted w/ monoprice tech support they asked if I got a picture with the direct connection, does 2 out of 3 devices count? I'm thinking it has something to do with how strong the HDMI output is on each device? seems the roku is the strongest.

I asked if I could put in a lumagen or monoprice hdmi extender, monoprice tech support said since it's redmere already it wouldn't help?? I really didn't want to run a cat6 balun (although I luckily ran 2 extra cat6 cables), but if I do, should I do the monoprice one? Should I do the one without power or with? I was hoping for a cleaner install and a balun box sitting on the projector is a bit unsightly. Do the gefen's vs. the monoprice make a big difference? it's a big price jump.

thanks if anyone can help id be very appreciative.

Just based on my testing, and no true expertise, a couple of things to try:
It could be handshaking, or it could be signal strength. It seems that some items are extremely sensitive (like the Sony) to handshaking. If the loop is too long to confirm, it punts. When i had this problem, it would manifest itself as flickering on and off. To fix this, I forced all the inputs in the chain to the same mode, 1080p60. When I did this, it cleared all the syncing problems.

If your problem is signal strength, I'd recommend going with some sort of powered solution. I used the monoprice HDMI over Cat6 extender.
They do not come with power supplies, you will have to get them seperately. Radio shack makes an inexpensive one that is black.

Hope this helps....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #273 of 1370 Old 12-30-2013, 10:35 AM

Watched a bunch of movies over the long weekend.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 in 2D and 3D
Pacific Rim in 2D
Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters
Cars 2
Peter Pan
Teen Beach Movie (I thought long and hard whether to admit to this one.... eek.gif )

Absolutely love this projector. I haven't observed any ghosting in 3D. The blacks and details are amazing. With my 133" screen and 10 foot viewing distance, it does make DVD quality movies look pretty poor. The pixelation on Cars 2, which was from a DVD source, was pretty apparent. Peter Pan which was from a Bluray source, was beautiful.

I think I'm going to have to replace more of my DVD collection than I originally planned.... cool.gif

post #274 of 1370 Old 12-30-2013, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronh View Post

gadget - I received a free lamp voucher. I think it was in the warranty bag.

And yes - two sets of 3D glasses, the second well hidden in the bottom amidst some cardboard that looked like it was only there for packaging the projector, not to hold glasses.

yeah, the 2 3D glasses were not obvious. I just dug thru though my box and I can't find the voucher frown.gif Can you tell me if it's tied to a serial number of your projector or is there a code to redeem?

During the install there were lots of boxes & paperwork & I'm afraid now it may have been thrown away.. hopefully I can call sony if it's tied to the serial #.
post #275 of 1370 Old 12-30-2013, 05:03 PM

Liked: 31
Just tried to find mine - I'm in the midst of laying new floor, so everything's torn apart. Can't recall where I put it right now. I'll try to find it in the next day (or more likely SWMBO will find it) - just taking a break before finishing the last 50 or so sq. ft of flooring.

I think it's just a redemption code - not tied to the PJ SN. It's good until 2016 or something like that. Sorry I can't provide a quick answer.

Call them anyway - worst they can do is say no. smile.gif
gadgetfreaky likes this.

post #276 of 1370 Old 12-31-2013, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
you guy's are killing me! I'm waiting for mine to get shipped (back order at projector people). Ordered the 50es originally and they ran out of stock!! Luckily they replaced it with the 55 for the same price:) I hope there is a huge difference coming from an epson 1080ub.

Psn Id- lvisneau or lvizzzy
Xbl- chief vizzy

post #277 of 1370 Old 12-31-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvisneau View Post

you guy's are killing me! I'm waiting for mine to get shipped (back order at projector people). Ordered the 50es originally and they ran out of stock!! Luckily they replaced it with the 55 for the same price:) I hope there is a huge difference coming from an epson 1080ub.

I feel your pain! I ordered in late September - got mine in early December. It was worth the wait. On a related note: My new SVS PB-12 NSD arrives today! The HW55 was so awesome, I felt the need to upgrade the sound system too! (Amazing - delivered 2 days after ordering!)

post #278 of 1370 Old 12-31-2013, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm also still waiting for mine... but at least my room isn't done yet anyways. The carpet for the room is scheduled to be installed Jan. 10th, so HOPEFULLY I'll have it by then smile.gif
post #279 of 1370 Old 12-31-2013, 07:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:

yeah, the 2 3D glasses were not obvious. I just dug thru though my box and I can't find the voucher frown.gif Can you tell me if it's tied to a serial number of your projector or is there a code to redeem?

During the install there were lots of boxes & paperwork & I'm afraid now it may have been thrown away.. hopefully I can call sony if it's tied to the serial #.

It should have been in the plastic bag with the rest of the paper work.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #280 of 1370 Old 12-31-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:

Just tried to find mine - I'm in the midst of laying new floor, so everything's torn apart. Can't recall where I put it right now. I'll try to find it in the next day (or more likely SWMBO will find it) - just taking a break before finishing the last 50 or so sq. ft of flooring.

I think it's just a redemption code - not tied to the PJ SN. It's good until 2016 or something like that. Sorry I can't provide a quick answer.

Call them anyway - worst they can do is say no. smile.gif

I believe Sony tracked the serial number of each projector, when they placed the voucher in the box.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #281 of 1370 Old 12-31-2013, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

I was hoping to have my 55es for this weekend's playoff games, but my dealer says the shipments are now pushed back to Friday 1/03 at the earliest. Tick tock, tick tock....oh well, as I am constantly reminded...first world problems;)
post #282 of 1370 Old 12-31-2013, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I feel your pain! I ordered in late September - got mine in early December. It was worth the wait. On a related note: My new SVS PB-12 NSD arrives today! The HW55 was so awesome, I felt the need to upgrade the sound system too! (Amazing - delivered 2 days after ordering!)

the PB-12 NSD is killer, have had one for 7 years now, still rocks the house, err condo..neighbors aren't a fan
post #283 of 1370 Old 12-31-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroder View Post

I was hoping to have my 55es for this weekend's playoff games, but my dealer says the shipments are now pushed back to Friday 1/03 at the earliest. Tick tock, tick tock....oh well, as I am constantly reminded...first world problems;)

I know the feeling, ordered three weeks ago and thought for sure I'd have it by this weekend for the start of Supercross. My wife basically told me to shut up when I was complaining because I'll have to watch it on a new 65" TV, actually pretty pathetic when I think about it.
mbroder likes this.
post #284 of 1370 Old 01-01-2014, 05:57 AM

FWIW - found my free lamp voucher - right where I looked the first time! Anyway - it just has a 12 digit code, and as a manufacturing guy, I can see how they could easily tie the last 3 digits of the certificate to a serial number of a projector.

Oh - and Happy New Year!.

post #285 of 1370 Old 01-01-2014, 09:33 AM

Liked: 10
Hi.

My first post smile.gif

A tip (FWIW).

I had a HW30 and now own the HW55.
I use the new glasses that came with the HW55 but also the glasses from the HW30.
Both glasses look exactly the same. But there is one importent diffrence. The glass color.

The glasses from the HW55 are grey. The HW30 glasses have a bit more brown/grey color.
Don't think that many calibrators are aware of this.

Some calibrators use a standard color offset adjustment in the measurement software to compensate for the glasses. Make sure they use the proper offset
Or calibrate the device thru the glasses.
post #286 of 1370 Old 01-02-2014, 05:13 PM

Liked: 19
I just got my 'HW55 today. By coincidence, I also got the home theater painted today. The combination of these 2 changes together has left me gobsmacked. eek.gif

I've only had 30 minutes with it so far. Contrast and brightness are miles better than my PT-AE3000, just amazing. 3D content is MUCH better than at the theater, plenty of brightness with an 83x47" image. Colors are spot on out of the box. Ergonomics are great (great remote). I only have a few minor quibbles:
  • Lamp mode is buried in the Cinema Black Pro submenu.
  • Focus adjustment is at its extreme when I'm fully zoomed. It's perfectly focused, but there's nowhere to go if it were not. As long as focus doesn't drift, this "problem" is actually helpful since I can just turn the focus knob all the way when watching zoomed (for 2.35) content.
  • I miss the "S16:9" aspect ratio setting from my Panasonic projector. This would squeeze a 16:9 image in both directions so that the image fit perfectly on a 2.35 screen. This is obviously a waste of lumens for long-term 16:9 viewing, but it was really handy for viewing 16:9 menus before starting a 2.35 or 2.40 movie. Bummer.
post #287 of 1370 Old 01-02-2014, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

FWIW - found my free lamp voucher - right where I looked the first time! Anyway - it just has a 12 digit code, and as a manufacturing guy, I can see how they could easily tie the last 3 digits of the certificate to a serial number of a projector.

Oh - and Happy New Year!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I believe Sony tracked the serial number of each projector, when they placed the voucher in the box.

Thanks guys. By chance what color was the voucher? was it a 8 1/2 x 11" sheet of paper or smaller?

I ended up calling sony, after 40 min, they are going to research to see what can be done. I actually just think they forgot to put one in my box. I have the manual, warranty card, 3d glass instruction 2 glasses, projector, cap & power cable. that's it. Definitely no voucher. I called sony in san diego, not very confident they'll solve it since 25 minutes of my call was convincing them that it was supposed to have a voucher. He kept arguing with me that it didn't, then when I pointed out it was on their website, he then argued it was only for purchased from sony.com, then after more time he conceded. I'm sure another hr on the phone tomorrow will have some sort of answer..
post #288 of 1370 Old 01-02-2014, 06:41 PM

The voucher was green - a little smaller than US paper currency size. - maybe the size of a 5 or 10 Euro bill.....
gadgetfreaky likes this.

post #289 of 1370 Old 01-03-2014, 04:00 AM

finally i recieved my projector. i replaced my LG AF115 Lcos display.

HW55ES : 2D looks very nice and superlative picture quality. 3D looks  not that much better.

post #290 of 1370 Old 01-03-2014, 05:29 AM
TL5
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
^^^ Congrats on the new HW55ES! I don't know if it's just the angle of your pics, but it looks like it's mounted really close to the curtains/back wall. Keep in mind that's where the projector's air intakes are located.
post #291 of 1370 Old 01-03-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:

Thanks guys. By chance what color was the voucher? was it a 8 1/2 x 11" sheet of paper or smaller?

I ended up calling sony, after 40 min, they are going to research to see what can be done. I actually just think they forgot to put one in my box. I have the manual, warranty card, 3d glass instruction 2 glasses, projector, cap & power cable. that's it. Definitely no voucher. I called sony in san diego, not very confident they'll solve it since 25 minutes of my call was convincing them that it was supposed to have a voucher. He kept arguing with me that it didn't, then when I pointed out it was on their website, he then argued it was only for purchased from sony.com, then after more time he conceded. I'm sure another hr on the phone tomorrow will have some sort of answer..

Gadgetfreaky,
If you ordered yours from AVScience, simply call/email your sales person and they'll take care of it.
I've got a whole 5 minutes invested in it and they have it taken care of...
gadgetfreaky likes this.

post #292 of 1370 Old 01-03-2014, 08:39 AM

So I've decided on the HW55ES, replacing my trusty Infocus 7200 (purchased back in 2002, when I first joined AVSForum!).

I'm also replacing my Panasonic BD85 with an Oppo 103 or Oppo 103D

My question: Is it worth getting the Oppo 103D... i.e., is the Darbee still useful given the onboard RC function of the HW55ES?

I'll let you pros weigh in! Thanks.

Dave

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's
brother's girlfriend heard from this guy
who knows this kid who's going with
the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31
Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty
serious.
post #293 of 1370 Old 01-03-2014, 08:48 AM

Here are my out-of-box measurements, sorted by increasing brightness. I'm throwing a 126" diagonal (110x62") image from 13'5".

These numbers are about 45% higher than the ones reported by Projector Reviews! I wonder if they had the lamp set to "low" for their report. Anyway, since I'm getting a nice fat 18 fL, I'll use the "low" lamp setting for FILM1 and REF. I'll use "high" for everything else. I'll switch everything over to "high" lamp mode when I get down to 13 fL, which I hope is about this time next year.

This projector has converted me from CIH to CIW, for several reasons:
  • It's bright enough for Sports, Gaming and 3D at full zoom
  • The black bars are barely noticeable (especially now that my room is painted dark red)
  • Manually zooming between 16:9 and 2.35 would be a pain

EDIT: I spoke too soon. I watched several 16:9 shows with my son tonight, and we both thought they were way too big at 126". We shrunk the image down to 47" (high), and it was much better. I guess I just need to get used to manual zooming, especially for low-quality content.
post #294 of 1370 Old 01-03-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bham Dave View Post

Is it worth getting the Oppo 103D... i.e., is the Darbee still useful given the onboard RC function of the HW55ES?

I haven't seen or used Darbee, but the sharpness with Sony's DRC is enough for me. I played a DVD last night, and with DRC it looked almost like BluRay!
post #295 of 1370 Old 01-03-2014, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bham Dave View Post

So I've decided on the HW55ES, replacing my trusty Infocus 7200 (purchased back in 2002, when I first joined AVSForum!).

I'm also replacing my Panasonic BD85 with an Oppo 103 or Oppo 103D

My question: Is it worth getting the Oppo 103D... i.e., is the Darbee still useful given the onboard RC function of the HW55ES?

I'll let you pros weigh in! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schlarb View Post

I haven't seen or used Darbee, but the sharpness with Sony's DRC is enough for me. I played a DVD last night, and with DRC it looked almost like BluRay!

I have a Sony HW55 paired w/ a Oppo 103D and the Darbee adds just that little bit of extra depth to images that is enjoyable.

I set Reality Creation on all minimum settings and Darbee on HD 20% and that works nicely together without adding too much in the way of artifacts.

I would've been perfectly happy without the Darbee, but when you're spending thousands on the latest and greatest...you might as well go ahead and splurge on the best. cool.gif

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

post #296 of 1370 Old 01-03-2014, 01:29 PM

True. What's another $100 bucks? Of course, my wife will never notice the difference… But I will. biggrin.gif

Dave

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's
brother's girlfriend heard from this guy
who knows this kid who's going with
the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31
Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty
serious.
post #297 of 1370 Old 01-03-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL5 View Post

^^^ Congrats on the new HW55ES! I don't know if it's just the angle of your pics, but it looks like it's mounted really close to the curtains/back wall. Keep in mind that's where the projector's air intakes are located.

thank you for your advice dear

post #298 of 1370 Old 01-03-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL5 View Post

I thought the same thing - that's going to shorten the life of his projector. I have mine 6" from a solid wall, and I was feeling guilty about that.
post #299 of 1370 Old 01-03-2014, 09:50 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Any Canadians know where to shop for the HW55ES and what pricing to expect? PM me with ideas.
post #300 of 1370 Old 01-03-2014, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post

I have a Sony HW55 paired w/ a Oppo 103D and the Darbee adds just that little bit of extra depth to images that is enjoyable.

I set Reality Creation on all minimum settings and Darbee on HD 20% and that works nicely together without adding too much in the way of artifacts.

I would've been perfectly happy without the Darbee, but when you're spending thousands on the latest and greatest...you might as well go ahead and splurge on the best. cool.gif

What number are you setting reality creation at? 7 or 20?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page